Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I am playing Dragon Age Origins

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I am replaying it and I'm going to post my thoughts here, and you guys can agree with the keen observations or disagree like losers. Lets begin!

1) The graphics still look really nice. HD texture mods and stuff help. On a SSD I can get from desktop to game in a few seconds even with about 20 mods. Game and engine is slick.

2) The story and dialogue is good, for a game, and I like how it zooms in on their faces. It is cinematic and almost makes me give a shit, which is pretty amazing, for a game. The music is decent too, game has pretty good production values. edit: The world really is to my liking, I know it is simple but I like that. King is nice guy, Logain is evil bastard, Templars mean well but are puritanical and misguided and therefore harmful, darkspawn and archdemon is generic and cliched yet does the job and it did creep my out sufficiently to think of them all just emerging out of the ground to take over. Elves (my character) and Morrigan and various others live mostly outside the influence of all this lot, but get involved to help. I feel with stories in games that they are never good enough that I want them to be elaborate, so I prefer them to be to the point. It doesn't get more to the point than this and it somehow still manages to set the mood of impending doom and it motivates me to want to save the day. I dig it, and that is really rare for a game.

3) I have played it twice and this, my third time, I am in a whole new starting area with new story and characters and whatnot, I appreciate that. Also being a Mage previously you had to play in the Mage Tower which you then had to visit, in depth, later on. At least with the start I am on this time, no content is reused.

4) There is a LOT of stuff missing from the vanilla game that a few mods could restore... How ridiculous to develop content that the players don't even get to enjoy when a small patch could have fixed it. Some of it is really fun too, bosses in otherwise bland areas, this would have really affected the overall popularity and it was all in the game just not enabled. Crazy.

5) I think this may be one of the best RPGs, for me anyway, on paper at least, because it does tactical RPG combat but in a more exciting real time way. I usually play RPGs as a Mage and this time I went with a rogue, and I really have to stealth early and then in combat, quickly run to the back of the pack of enemies and gank archers and mages and stuff as fast as I can. It is exciting and actiony, yet with the depth of most CRPGs. Mostly. My only real issue with the combat and character building is that the game ends once it starts getting good. It really need a sequel, and not the dumb shit we got disguised as sequels.

6) I don't really like the rest/regen mechanic. There is no resting between fights, you just stand around for a moment and everything regens really quickly outside combat. I feel like it dumbs the game down a bit because you never have to fight at half steam, you take every single fight, trash included, at 100% health and mana. Balancing rests in Kingmaker could be a bit of a chore I suppose, but I think throwing away resource management entirely is a step too far, even though I like the action-ification of a traditional RPG.

7) The combat is so fucking satisfying to me. It is so much better than D&D, enemies are strong and come in large numbers, spell mashing will probably lead to at the least a character regularly needed injury kits. And reloads. But if you play well you win. This is not an easy game or simple. Spell combos really help, and they were doing this long before DoS. Most RPGs are too easy. This plays in a fun way too. It feels like D&D but it is a more exciting version of it.

8) I love the Tactics thing. When I first saw it I felt uncomfortable with the idea, make a game single character or a party game, make your mind on which. If it is group, I want to control them, not have them follow me and fight automatically so there is no point them even being there. But on a lot of fights in RPGs it is repetitive, healer uses heal, wiz uses nuke, tank uses bash, having to do this in a million fights is annoying as fuck and the reason I just uninstalled Wizardry 8 for the fourth and final time. Tactics in this game lets them do the basics without endless micro, but at least in tough fights I can set them to do only what I want them to do.

9) It would be so nice if games would let the player choose a party of 4 or a party of 6 at the start, and adjust the difficulty automatically. Maybe it could be tied to difficulty levels, if you are new-ish to RPGs, you pick 4 and it is a bit simpler. If you want more, you pick 6.

10) I think games like this with quite fun and distinct classes (and not that many of them), should let you control one of each of them early in the game. Then later when you set your party you know what you want. It almost does this, in the elven start I get a warrior buddy at first, then he gets replaced with a basic mage, and then when you go to the wilds and find Morrigan, you get a bunch of warrior types.

11) Got a lot of mods. Auto loot, and 20% faster run speed removes about 90% of the tedium.

12) The camera is good. It is 3rd person for exploring and most things which is immersive and good, and I can zoom out and upwards if I need finer control to look down. I wish I could tilt the top down view to look forward though.

13) I really want to bone a Dalish Elf. Something something bushy forest.

14) THE FADE IS FUCKING AWESOME! Yes you have to repeat some areas and there are puzzles which dumb people struggle with, but it is really fun to play. Turn into the fire guy and fireball a huge group of enemies, then turn into the magic immune guy to imprison tough things and heal yourself. I suspect a lot of the people who didn't enjoy the Fade didn't know that your hotbar changes with each illusion. So you can win against anything with the right choice, and if you don't notice the hotbar change, people would try to play the whole thing as their own character and only use the illusions for the walking through fire bits etc.

JDR13

Arcane
14) THE FADE IS FUCKING AWESOME! Yes you have to repeat some areas and there are puzzles which dumb people struggle with, but it is really fun to play. Turn into the fire guy and fireball a huge group of enemies, then turn into the magic immune guy to imprison tough things and heal yourself. I suspect a lot of the people who didn't enjoy the Fade didn't know that your hotbar changes with each illusion. So you can win against anything with the right choice, and if you don't notice the hotbar change, people would try to play the whole thing as their own character and only use the illusions for the walking through fire bits etc.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Trashos

Arcane
Logain is evil due to his methods, but I can understand his point. Interesting character, afaic.

Story is shit. Main antagonists are mindblowingly generic & uninspired. Logain and the political intrigue everywhere saves the day in that aspect.

Too much social interaction with the companions for my tastes.

Agreed, the Fade is hardcore.

Combat is OK and mages are fun, boss fights are pretty good, but no, the systems and combat in general are not as good as in DnD. They are far too simple. Still, fun at times.

deama

Prophet
It would have been interesting if they made the fade like what they did in soul reaver; kill someone, shift, and then kill him again.

Incendax

Augur
Awesome to hear you are replaying DA:O!

I think most of us agree that good resource management is important in a game, but here’s the rub. Most game developers are absolutely terrible at balancing resource consumption across multiple fights. The more resources the designers can predict you having in any given fight, the better they can balance individual fights.

Which means, resources that reset frequently lead to much cooler and more interesting fights on average.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I like the final boss in the Fade too, I like playing with those 4 forms, each with their own hotbar. It is more interesting than my class in fact. I find the rogue pretty boring to play so far, I have set him up to be automated and I just play Morrigan instead and she has great spells. On some bosses I have to micro the whole team, but mostly I have it automated so it progresses fast.

I think it is only shallower than D&D in the higher levels, but this game doesn't get to higher levels. I think if they made the BG2 equivalent of this game, it would have been amazing. Higher level characters with some more spells and things. The game feels weirdly like playing EverQuest with MacroQuest. EQ / MQ is better of course because you can script everything the characters do like a super advanced version of the DA:O Tactics. But this game it is a fun casual version of the same thing.

tindrli
I could take a pic of my mod folder or something. I found a guide on reddit and got all of that apart from some things I didn't want, and then had a quick look on nexus and picked up a few more.

visions

Arcane
The game didn't look good back in the day so I guess it looks even worse in 2019. Compare the visuals to The Witcher from 2007 (on fucking Aurora engine), Dragon Age looked pathetic in comparison. Also the art design was really lacking. Fucking derpspawn models, the bigger ones (the not-orcs) looked so retarded and generic. One enemy model looking really fucking terrible maybe wouldn't be so bad in theory but you were fighting the derpsawn so much that it became really annoying to see that shitty generic model ad nauseam. Armor and character models in general looked mediocre at best, fucking retarded Disneyland faggotry at worst. Again, compare with The Witcher. As far as visuals go, art design is king and Dragon Age was really fucking lacking on that front, especially when compared to The Witcher. A lot of the writing was also pretty fucking bad, made worse by the cringeworthy voice acting. HURR? ENCHANTMENT? DURR! ENCHANTMENT!

I played the ultimate edition in 2010. The combat was pretty banal most of the time. My PC was a rogue so the game started off kinda hard but after picking up Morrigan, the combat soon became trivial. When the game opened up, at first I went to some village/castle attacked by the undead. Then before finishing it I had to go to the Mage Tower. The Mage Tower was decently difficult but after the Mage Tower, the difficulty plummeted to trivial.

After that point there were like 3-5 fights that I couldn't win on the first attempt. One of those fights was against some dragon or something like that in some snowy area (the dragon was some kind of a boss I think), the other was a random ambush in some generic quest in Denerim against a lot of enemies and the third one was the fight against Morrigan's mother. I do admit I couldn't beat that fight at all though. I think I also died once to a big pack of wolves in the midgame and I think I might have also lost one fight against a bunch of derpspawn (in any case, I remember there was one harder fight against a bunch of derpspawn, maybe I came close to losing?) so I'm going to be generous and say that after completing the Mage Tower and before the Landsmeet (the point at which I dropped the game out of boredom) there were 5 fights that I had to try more than once. The only fights out of these that I had to try more than twice were the dragon fight in the snow area and the fight against Morrigan's mother (which I never won).

Morrigan was my only mage, I killed the other one. I was playing on hard, I dunno if it would have been any better on nightmare, or just the same shit with more HP bloat. I abandoned the game out of boredom when I was supposed to go to Landsmeet though, maybe there were some good fights after that point? Anyway I couldn't kill Morrigan's mother, cause you couldn't use Morrigan in that fight and I had killed the other mage companion and without mages that fight didn't seem very doable. But that one fight was the exception, the vast majority of fights after the Mage Tower were far too easy.

Most of the fights against gangs of weaker enemies were utterly trivialised by the magic school which had the crowd control spells (confuse, sleep etc). Basically my approach in such fights was to inflict incapicating status effects on enemies as much as possible and then it was trivial to pick them off one by one when most of them were confused, asleep etc. For fights against few strong monsters (like Revenants) I had another tactic but I don't remember it anymore cause it was almost 10 years ago. But after the Mage Tower, I used literally one of the two tactics in 90+ % of the fights. By tactics I don't mean the tactics skill, I never used that. People here love to shit on the combat in Pillars of Eternity and many regard Dragon Age as the better game in retrospect but honestly, I had to change my approach in combat more often in Pillars (I played that one on Path of the Damned though) than I had to in Dragon Age.

I guess the combat is ok if you like doing the same thing over and over again. At least it's the best thing about the game. The visuals were always pretty bad, soundtrack was horribly generic tripe. I guess the backstory of the Fade and the Fade in general were pretty cool. The background story of the darkspawn was p. cool but it was hurt by the fact that in game the smaller darkspawn were basically not-goblins and the bigger ones were not-orcs, with the caveat that looking like generic Warhammer/Warcraft orcs would have been a massive improvement because they looked fucking terrible.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Compare the visuals to The Witcher from 2007 (on fucking Aurora engine), Dragon Age looked pathetic in comparison.
You're being ridiculous. Either that or you don't remember these games well. Witcher might have a better color palette but DAO still beats it overall.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Yes finally someone who gets it the fade was great because it was a short distraction from the rest of the game. It even had quite a few optional rooms with stat bonuses if you are willing to explore.
The Deep Roads were infinitely more boring with their endless trash mobs.
I just wish the character system wasn't so boring.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The game didn't look good back in the day so I guess it looks even worse in 2019. Compare the visuals to The Witcher from 2007 (on fucking Aurora engine), Dragon Age looked pathetic in comparison.

Either your memory is faulty or this is some try-hard bullshit. Neither of those games look great, and Witcher certainly doesn't look any better. Maybe some better (read: less generic) design, but not by a whole lot.

I guess the combat is ok if you like doing the same thing over and over again.

This is the main fault of the game. I actually like the combat a good bit when it's hitting all the right notes, but too much of it is spammy nonsense that doesn't feel designed or interesting. You have to go through a dozen "whatever" fights to get to a decent one, and in some sections they just never stop constantly spamming you with generic encounters. All three games have this issue really, and the sequels have even less design to the encounters which is why they're pretty shite games overall.

Codex Year of the Donut
If you pick the city elf origin your friend gets raped.

Logain is evil due to his methods, but I can understand his point. Interesting character, afaic.

Story is shit. Main antagonists are mindblowingly generic & uninspired. Logain and the political intrigue everywhere saves the day in that aspect.

Too much social interaction with the companions for my tastes.

Agreed, the Fade is hardcore.

Combat is OK and mages are fun, boss fights are pretty good, but no, the systems and combat in general are not as good as in DnD. They are far too simple. Still, fun at times.
Are you aware Loghain is a secret recruitable character?
If you recruit him he shows up again in Inquisition, by the way.

Vorark

Erudite
I think it is only shallower than D&D in the higher levels, but this game doesn't get to higher levels. I think if they made the BG2 equivalent of this game, it would have been amazing. Higher level characters with some more spells and things.

Awakening expansion would be the "high level" and it's completely broken (in terms of both mechanics and bugs lel). Liked it more than the original campaign, though.

Trashos

Arcane
Are you aware Loghain is a secret recruitable character?
If you recruit him he shows up again in Inquisition, by the way.

Yes, I know he is recruitable, cheers. He is the most interesting companion in DAO, afaic.
I didn't know about his appearance in Inquisition, not planning to play it.

Incendax

Augur
Yes finally someone who gets it the fade was great because it was a short distraction from the rest of the game. It even had quite a few optional rooms with stat bonuses if you are willing to explore.
The Deep Roads were infinitely more boring with their endless trash mobs.
100% Agreement. I actually loved The Fade, and thought the Deep Roads were the bad part of the game. The Legion/Broodmother part was great, but most of the roads were just looooong dull repeat encounters.

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
I guess the combat is ok if you like doing the same thing over and over again.
How is that any different to BG2 or TOEE or any other RPG?

Because you're mostly fighting the same 3-4 Darkspawn over and over again. The bestiary of DA is a lot smaller and less varied than BG2 and similar crpgs.

i counted both games bestiary

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/bestiary/a-c.html

BG2 63 monsters

https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Dragon_Age:_Origins_creatures

Dragon Age Origins 133 monsters

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Loghain is ruthless, but Evil? I don't know about that. The problem is that we don't see a lot of him in any playthrough in ways that tells us his motivations. What we have are inferences, like from Cutherein. The other problem is that we have that little shit, Howe, in the works, and we really don't know how much of the bad things done by Loghain's regime is a result of Howe and not Loghain. Just look at that cutscene where they first introduced that assassin elf companion. Howe was wetting himself with excitement while Loghain just looked resigned and really didn't want to do it but had no choice.

Even the abandonment of Cailan at Ostegar has an out for Loghain. The plan was that the Ferelden forces hold position so that the darkspawn horde would be in the right place for Loghain to hammer them. Cailan charged out of the fortifications. That was never part of the plan. Coupled with the late lighting of the signal fire, one theory I have seen is that the situation had deteriorated to the point that Loghain attacking would just mean more dead bodies for the darkspawn to feast on. So, to save what's left of the army and give Ferelden a fighting chance later, Loghain retreated.

Loghain is not a very likeable character, and he has to be as he was set up to be the antagonist of the game, but I wouldn't exactly call him Evil. Out of his depth, most definitely, and that is a huge cross for a person acclaimed to be a super-general and hero to bear. And that pride bred denial, and everything else followed.

If anything, Anora is far more calculating, selfish and Evil than her father.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom