Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best video game composers

Best video game composer

• Inon Zur

• Kiril Pokrovsky

• Frank Klepacki

• Mark Morgan

• Koji Kondo

• Someone I neglected to mention

• Jeremy Soule

• Paul Anthony Romero

• Alexander Brandon

• Michiel van den Bos

Results are only viewable after voting.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Way too many for me to pick one.

No idea who the composer was for it, but I believe Prelude to Darkness' warrants a special mention; it's earned a special place in my heart.

Posting in the gayest thread of April 2019.
Hmmm... It's kind of lacking the name of whomever made Das Geisterschiff's OST in order to properly become so.
:love:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Alexander Brandon gets a vote just for being the lead composer of the best soundtrack of all time (Deus Ex), Jeremy Soule gets the other. I haven't played most of the games Soule worked on, but his music on KotOR, Icewind Dale, and the Harry Potter games still sticks with me.

PorkBarrellGuy

Soule is amazing. Let me show you fucking why.

What? Morrowind? Fuck that. TA was his best work. Guild Wars: Factions runs a close second:

Klepacki's rock solid, if a decidedly different flavor from Soule.

Not attached to a game, per se, but I don't give a fuck. You were expecting Hell March? Everyone expects Hell March.

Gregory Alper and Jeehun Hwang do not get the credit they deserve.

If these don't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, you suck.

PorkBarrellGuy

Also since I can't fucking fit any more YT links into my first post:

Mick Gordon's fucking amazing. (Can't necessarily say the same about the games he's scored, but that's not his fault.)

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Your poll missing Glenn Stafford,he compose music for Warcraft 2 and Starcraft:

Also Aubrey Hodges deserve some credit for making one of the most terrifying soundtrack ever made:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Whilst I should be specifically biased towards so called western classical music approaches, I have to conceded that the composers who have written under the name off the "Nihon Falcom JDK team" over the years including Mieko Ishikawa (original Ys games, and other stuff) and Hayato Sonoda (latter and current Legend of Heroes, Ys and Xanadu) win the space for me in terms of best video game music composition - just a few memorable but well-known tracks (the second one being the track to a turn based RPG battle!?):

I think what is impressive here is that they have actual catchy themes that are interesting but still play to the actual game and don't distract too much; one of the things about most western composition for video games is that they are trying to keep out of the way as much as possible and hence a lot of the time it just ends up sounds like something Wagner would have written as music to vamp between scenes in the Ring Cycle or a bit of Sibelius in one of his "organic development" bits in a symphony or a tone poem (Jeremy Soule anyone?) or if they are doing horror accompaniment, Alban Berg in the madness/murder/suicide scene from his Wozzeck or the third act from Lulu (where Jack the Ripper finishes off most of the remaining characters). Maybe add a rock beat to make it sound "modern".

If I was to pick someone using specifically "classical" techniques, then Ben Houge (Arcanum) for composing a soundtrack for string quartet and little else that reflects the tone of that game so well but is also very different from what a lot of other composers are doing:

And then I say all this, but my sister has toured as an orchestral musician with the London Symphony Orchestra playing to literally sold out audiences playing Nobuo Uematsu soundtracks from Final Fantasy in France, so I don't think any of my thoughts about what is important represents mainstream thought in these areas....

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Tsukasa Masuko

Koji Endo

Tsukasa Saitoh

Kota Hoshino

Oh wait, this thread is not limited to RPGs? Then add Lennie Moore to the list.

Hmmm... It's kind of lacking the name of whomever made Das Geisterschiff's OST in order to properly become so.
More like it's lacking over 9000 truly decent composers and somehow landed in the RPG discussion subforum. :lol:

pomenitul

Arbiter
Fuck it, I'll go with the hackneyed answer: Jeremy Soule, because his knack for pastiche never fails to impress me. 'Rise to Reality' from Morrowind is a solid late Sibelius impression:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom