Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The City of Heroes Thread

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, the guys that were running the paragon chat managed to open a server thanks to the leak of the CoH source code. Meaning the game is fully playable right now.
They seem to be having a lot of problems with the login server, and because of how overloaded the game is with players (over 5000 right now). The game is bugging out, but its working.
You can get all the info in their discord

Anyway, the game is great and im expecting a bunch of codexers to join me in the servers eventually. We could make our own guild and base, raid together and have a ton of fun.

Calling to the faggots that wanted to play in a codexian guild

Hoaxmetal lukaszek Xorphitus Delterius Crispy Mustawd etc.

laclongquan

Arcane
I am currently busy with a SCS BG2 right now so not yet. When I am open to a new game again I might return to this timewaster~

newcostume.jpg

A bruiser like this, but skinlike pink, bigger, more curvy~

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Good luck with the server load.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Found some mega link that's 160 megabytes. It's got an .exe that doesn't launch. Nobody on the server is willing to answer any questions. Frankly, I tried, I've read various channels and their reddit. No info. Fuck this game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Alright, so I found it. You go into their #updates channel and scroll up for like 10 seconds straight and you'll find download links.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
When I launch score.exe, the game goes to the loading screen and then crashes to desktop with no visible errors. That's it for me, I guess.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Read the pins on the discord channel. You need to download Tequila, then make a forum account and within the forum make a game account for login. And then hope that the server isn't overloaded to hell and back.

Lhynn

Arcane
When I launch score.exe, the game goes to the loading screen and then crashes to desktop with no visible errors. That's it for me, I guess.
You have to use the tequila executable.

It should be in your coh folder.

Dont bother with trying to login right now, the servers are exploding. This is just a test anyway. Trying to find people to form a guild later on.

As for the gameplay, nope. not wow at all.

- You play a hero/villain in a semi open world with tons of huge areas. You go wherever you want and do whatever you want. There are pvp areas and they have their own rewards, like especial limited usage skills. You do quests in those areas and if you run into enemies, well, defend yourself.

- There are no classes really, your character is entirely customizable and can pretty much be anything you want. You pick an archetype, then two powersets from a fairly big number, then you customize your character to look like whatever kind of clown you are into. You can even customize the sfx of your skills.

- The game has an aligment system, you can be hero, villain, rogue or vigilante. You get access to some different areas depending on that, and some of the same. There are places where you can be social, like clubs and shit, they also have minigames with rewards.

- You can build your own guild base, huge places where you can store shit, and get gear/buffs.

- Every skill you have has slots, how many slots depends on your choices at level up. Each slot can be used up with an augment that will increase an aspect of said skill. There are also craftable augments that increase many parts of the skill in smaller increments, or grant unique effects, and also sets, by having several of those aguments you will get special effects. There are also raid augments which are really strong.

- Past cap there are other ways to make your character better, like new superpowers and shit you can get.

- Consumables cannot be stored infinitely, you have like 16 slots, so in any given adventure you can be shit out of luck if you use them all and arent finished, which makes for an interesting way of preparing yourself. These consumables can be bought in lesser versions, dropped in average versions or gotten in the stronger versions through some mechanics i never looked into. Meaning what consumables you have at any given time is kinda up to luck and what you decided to keep and use. Its a great mechanic that gives weight to your decisions on how to tackle enemies.

Overall is one of those unique games with great mechanics that everyone that loves rpgs should play at least once to understand them. Other than that the community is nice, people actually talk instead of farming like retards, and the game accomodates for a more relaxed gameplay.

jungl

Augur
city of heroes was the original good super hero mmorpg what every other one failed to copy. Kind of like how dark age of camelot was the good tab target pvp mmorpg and the rest were shitty.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
OH/OV were great games. However I always felt I couldn't create a build I'd enjoy playing and properly scratched that strategy side.
You couldn't really solo and grow fast at same time. This is arguably got resolved by the AE DLC/expansion. AS you only needed to team up for a short time before you were leveled up in reach of a good power selection.

But folks this brought holodecks/simualtions into the game. Are you really playing a game anymore if you spend more time in a simulation than playing the game? Because for this to happen for even a couple days of real time,
means you both played and didn't play the game as part of the game. TRust me when I say I have never seen so many supposed humans act like NPCs doing this shit. WE became the NPCs.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
All these screenshots are about 15 years old.

When CoH came out, I was crazy about Aikido, so tried to create something appropriate:
1248r6c.jpg

Also tried to make Aikido's Founder, Morihei Ueshiba:
2d6oeba.jpg

I also created a Terminator 2 character:
34pxbut.jpg

(someone got my Michael Savage reference in chat, yay!)
hugl8o.jpg

Also made some kind of Tom Cruise-looking guy? He was supposed to be from SOMETHING, but I forgot what.
wrhmw8.jpg

Making joke with emotes:
6icmk6.jpg

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really don't remember the graphics being as shit as that.

Played it at launch as a dedicated healer (empath iirc) called 'Dr Hippocrates', really enjoyed it until I realised that dedicated healers weren't really needed and rerolled as a blaster. It was fun, but all you did was moved from group to group and mowed them down, at least when I played. Was a really shallow game that was fun in small doses.

May have changed later on. I know I tried to get into it again before it got shut down but the magic had gone. Can't see myself going back.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Along with other great mmos I keep this thing in mind when I develop my own projects. A big part of the beginning areas were something called Gangs. AAAh the immersion of their sweet little dialog and citizens running away.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Cool, I might try it out when it's stable. I heard of this game's existence when they announced they are shutting down the servers, which is a shame.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
@everyone We have some bad news, folks. This server, as of right now, has to be shut down indefinitely. We are on a direct course for legal action. As such, steps must be taken in order to protect the people involved in this project, their families, and their futures. As with all of you, we are heartbroken. We wanted to see our City return, but to do so at the destruction of the lives of those involved is too great a risk to take. However, this project is not finished. We will continue to work towards the revival of City of Heroes with all efforts that we can make. We cannot give you all a time frame at this time. We are in discussions to do what we can to revive some form of the server, however we do not wish to commit to a point in the future that we may not be able to reach. You have trusted us to this point. We ask you to extend that trust, and we will in turn do everything within our power to prove to you that we are deserving of it. To everyone who has donated time, blood, sweat and tears, and logged in to prove that this game still wishes to live - we thank you, from the bottom of our hearts. This first step could not have been taken without you, and it is you, the most dedicated fanbase in the world, that will keep us moving forward. Just remember we did the impossible this weekend. We will see you all in Paragon City again. City of Heroes does not die today. /em hold torch

As it stands, we are heading into legal fuckery. My hands are shaking as I type this up, so please bear with me. The entire project is in jeopardy, but the only feasible solution we have is for me to set up an LLC and fight what is happening at this time. I am risking everything for a community I love. I am doing everything I can to defend those who were involved in this situation. I am going to get fucked sideways over the next few months to years, and things are going to put me into some major legal turmoil. I will have lawyers out the ass, and I will be put into personal jeopardy. This is a project I am going to sink with, and I WILL do everything in my power to get done. I am praying for mercy right now. I am extremely emotional right now and I feel the ten years I once decidated to this game is being ripped out from under me again. I appeciate the support I've had from the community. I have to break the one promise I wanted with every fiber of my bewing to uphold, since I'm just a fucking semi truck driver. A fucking. Truck driver. I am going down on this ship. This is my hill to fdie on. I will fight tootyh and nail to get EVERYTHING we fought for back. I know its tough asking anonymous for support, but I'm in for a rough fucking right. I have no way to make a closing statement, so I may as well go as fucking cheesy as I can. Glory to Arachnos.

Well, cant say i didnt see that coming, didnt expect it to come that soon and hard, but ncsoft has to protect the IP they killed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom