Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seven: The Days Long Gone - Thief-inspired isometric action-RPG from former CD Projekt devs

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Early impressions after 7 hours, but this game reminds me a lot of Divine Divinity in how deceptive the beginning is. For the first few hours DD plays like a mediocre Diablo clone, until you leave Aleroth and are greeted with a huge seamless open world full of detail and hidden secrets. Seven feels the exact same way. I almost dropped it thinking it was nothing more than a janky stealth game with mediocre parkour, until I entered Lewmar and discovered this highly detailed and vertical open world with some very cool atmosphere and worldbuilding. It's the best level design I've experienced in years.

I strongly encourage anyone that buys this to not drop it within the first several hours, as you will be pleasantly surprised at how much it opens up after the tutorial missions.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, the game gives kind of a bad first impression. It seems far too easy and the excellent world and level design isn't put on display until a few hours in. Challenge increases nicely after that initial period, and things that seem like overpowered win buttons quickly diminish in usefulness. Really is a shame how little attention this game has received. It's one of the most unique action RPGs I've ever played. Setting is sweet too.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am genuinely excited to play this, not in the least because the czech translator of this (who is brilliant at his job) called this one of his most pleasant translations due to the high quality of the writing.
Now if only the game remembered to be set in fullscreen in 4K, for some reason everytime I start the game, it reverts to 1080p borderless, annoying.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
16 hours in now, and it just keeps getting better and better. I'll give another free key to anyone that promises to do a serious codex review of it.

Morkar Left

My problem at the moment is that there is actually too much to play that I instinctively fall back to games i'm already familiar with. Otherwise there ae a lot of pretty damn good games which came out barely noticed over the span of the last 5 years. This is one of them. One day, one day...

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Here's a video of me styling on some Zealots in the Haunted Ruins. Techno sword and daggers, heavy energy rifle, assassin skill chip, flash ability, and acrobat passive (enables aerial kills).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I like the use of day & night cycles in the slaughterhouse infiltration sidequest. You can freely roam the facility during the daytime, but at 10pm you and the other slaves are forced back into the sleeping quarters.

Last edited:
Is there no-brainer junk loot that I should always pick up? Right now the crafting doesn't seem to have anything screaming out at me to look out for. Will I ever actually need a remote control or is it just for breaking down into components?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Finally reached the capital Wardens Hold. Screenshots fail to properly convey how massive this place is.

JiGpRC8.jpg

SRuIo9u.jpg

g5ftFPi.jpg

BAlCiZW.jpg

9NA41jk.jpg

IxLmEHq.jpg

Even more impressive, every single building with a door can be entered. Zero loading screens.

2WhPK9f.jpg

7qNwyUB.jpg

jwGAEZp.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
The city just represents a tiny portion of the map too. It's all completely seamless with zero loading screens.

ceDlgMU.png

DWrI2JY.gif

Last edited:

Heretic

Cipher
Warden's Hold made me realize how brilliant the level designers were...
...but also how that fixed camera angle wasted a lot of the amazing level design.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Just started The Drowned Past expansion, and it's really good. Made a quick 10 minute preview of an early quest.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Finished The Drowned Past. Good story with a colorful cast of characters. Fun quests like infiltrating a private auction on a zeppelin and throwing a party for a rock band. Some cool new weapons and abilities too.

Amazed they gave something of this caliber away for free, as the content and production values are better than Deadfire's DLC which cost $10. I would have gladly paid that much for it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Want to hear something even cooler? Nothing in the world ever resets.

Put an item in a container and it will stay forever. Kill an NPC and their loot will never disappear. I set a door trap and disarmed it 30 hours later!

Last edited:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
picked this up yesterday thanks to the posts by Safav Hamon.

really enjoying this so far, it totally went under my radar.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Finally completed this masterpiece! The endgame sequence and final plot twist was amazing, but unfortunately I was locked out of the best ending because I didn't do a certain sidequest. Satisfying nonetheless.

This is hands down the most underrated game I've ever played, and if Fool's Theory ever makes a sequel it will be a D1P no questions asked. My offer still stands to give a free key to anyone that wants to do a proper review too.

ColCol

Arcane
Finally completed this masterpiece! The endgame sequence and final plot twist was amazing, but unfortunately I was locked out of the best ending because I didn't do a certain sidequest. Satisfying nonetheless.

This is hands down the most underrated game I've ever played, and if Fool's Theory ever makes a sequel it will be a D1P no questions asked. My offer still stands to give a free key to anyone that wants to do a proper review too.

IF you want to give me a key, I'd be down to review.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
The story is extremely good by the way.

Before the apocalypse, humans were mentally linked to the world wide web with help of sentient AI known as Scions. They decided to disconnect for whatever reason, causing the scions to go rogue and erase people's consciousness. This sparked a great war between humans and scions that sent earth back into the dark ages. During the war humanity built spaceships called Arks to recolonize on other planets, but the scions locked them so they couldn't launch. A man named Drugan discovered this lost knowledge , and with the help of some remaining Scions (now known as Daemons) created a religion around himself claiming the arks could take humanity to heaven if they followed his seven steps. He declared himself a god emperor and renunited the warring tribes of humanity under the Vethrall empire.

Drugan became obsessed with gaining more knowledge, so he sent an agent named Savaash to Peh (a prison colony of the Vethrall Empire) to find the lost Ark there. Savaash succeeded, but before he could find a way to open it he was apprehended by the local Technomagi (security forces) that were plotting a rebellion against Drugan. That's when the story begins. Drugan creates a fake heist as a test to recruit new agents to finish Savaash's mission, and the protagonist Terriel takes the bait. Now on a prison blimp to Peh, Terriel is possessed by one of Drugan's scion advisors, Artanak, and told he will be given his freedom if he finds Savaash. Towards the end of the game Terriel finds the Ark, which is actually a museum designed to hold all of Earth's cultural relics during the exodus.

The big plot twist at the end is

Artanak had ulterior motives for wanting to find the ark. He wanted to launch it at the capital, Hallard, and end Drugan's reign over humanity.

There are four endings to the game

1. Terriel can agree with Artanak and destroy Hallard. Hundreds of thousands of people are killed. War breaks out between the Technomagi and Biomancers, with the Technomagi becoming more powerful and the Biomancers fleeing into the mountains to form a new empire.

2. Terriel can oppose Artanak. If you die (which happened to me the first time) it results in the first ending but with an extra scene mentioning Teriel's death.

3. If Teriel succeeds in opposing Artanak, he blows up the Ark destroying Peh. Drugan becomes more powerful and the technomagi rebels are purged. The survivors of Peh form an independent nation.

4. Teriel can convince Artanak to find another way to kill Drugan. This requires completing several important sidequests and is the best ending in my opinion.

Now that I think about it though, the story is almost identical to Tyranny.

You're the agent of a god emperor that you never actually meet, there's a civil war between two factions working under him, and the game ends with you nuking the capital.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Toro said:
Bought it and refund it after 1 hour.

- Left click is attack and there is no way someone will not miss-click by accident and then start a fight,
- You always have to press ESC/Space when ending conversations or simply loot things with E,
- Equipping armor is PITA, not to mention the radial action menu which is simply retarded,
- Huge amounts of garbage loot, but I got hunter armor and pistols in like the first 20 minutes of the game,
- Bad VO and dialogues and to be honest ... the start of the story is not great at all,
- The AI seems to be broken (no surprise): you can leave corpses around and nobody cares,
- Awful camera which destroy any exploration enjoyment: the architecture popping is unbearable.

I don't know what other people smoked but this is one shitty game.

You played one hour of a 60 hour RPG that has received several major updates since the time you played. That's not enough time to get past the tutorial mission, much less the starting town, which as I and several others have stated is when the game begins to show its main strengths.

I know my opinion isn't worth much around here, which is why I bought several copies for other people to review. Hopefully they will give it more of a chance than you did and not write it off after one hour.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I know my opinion isn't worth much around here, which is why I bought several copies for other people to review. Hopefully they will give it more of a chance than you did and not write it off after one hour.

Actually I'm curious about this. Any corroborations?

Edit: It's not about *your* opinion, mine doesn't have any weight either, but you sure like to champion some shitty games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom