Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

Ent

Savant
I do not believe he does. He doesn't even have a base devil trigger just sin with a wonky transformation.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
why did capcom go through the bother of making co-op for like 2 stages of the game and not have it in bloody palace?

and no playable vergil

and no DLC confirmed.. this is it

just baffling

We gotta wait and see.
Vergil is most definitely be made playable.
Now I am hopping for is at least a new campaign, more Co-Op shit (blood palace would be nice) and Turbo Mode + Legendary Dark Knight.

Either they're lying about no DLC and they'll release it later on or wait for Special Edition.

Awhile back I stumbled across this:

https://old.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/b23442/dmc5_potential_leak/

Sure it does seem like bullshit, but then again the same could've been said if anyone declared that DMC5 would be revealed at E3 last year.

Shinji

Savant

In this GDC 2019 talk, Capcom's Hideaki Itsuno, director of multiple titles in the 'Devil May Cry' series, partners with his colleagues Michiteru Okabe (senior producer) and Matt Walker (producer) to discuss the team's approach to making standout, impressive action games through the lens of Devil May Cry 5.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The guy is going full autistic because of how happy he is from this game releasing:

TL;DR: DMC5 is the best DMC and one of the best action games ever made.

Last edited:

Onionguy

Educated
The guy is going full autistic because of how happy he is from this game releasing:

No wonder, he's the biggest fan of the genre on YouTube. I appreciate his love for great action games like God Hand, NGB etc... but agree that he sometimes goes too far with his enthusiasm. I still don't get why he likes RE6 so much.

Suicidal

Arcane
Finished Dante Must Die playthrough. It was quite difficult, although not sure how it compares to DMD in the other games. I've reached DMD in DMC 3 many years ago but only played a few missions of it because by that time I was too burnt out on the game so I don't remember much about it.

Did it almost without using any gold orbs. I had to use them in some levels because this game is VERY stingy with the checkpoints and there were no health orbs in places where I already collected them on the previous difficulty and unlike 3 & 4, if you enter a boss fight with 10% health and die, you will respawn with your 10% health, so whenever that happened I pretty much had to gold orb at the start of the fight for it to be fair (it was either that or replaying the entire level hoping to get to that point with more HP and as much as I like this game, I don't want to spend the rest of my life playing it).

DMD really forces you to use all of your character's mechanics if you want to get anywhere. Also it made me appreciate V a lot more, because unlike on SOS where I just kept clicking all my mouse buttons at the same time until everything died, on DMD it's not that simple. Every single pleb enemy can oneshot your summons (especially if they enrage) so you actually have to make an effort to keep them alive (for example, by dodging/double jumping and forcing them away from an enemy attack mid swing). The Geryon Rider boss, from the complete pushover he was on SOS, becomes a real nightmare on DMD because of how quickly he can kill all your pets. Fighting him made me discover some interesting things I didn't even notice on SOS, like how summoning your golem instantly revives your bird and panther and how the golem summoning animation grants you a brief invulnerability window and I actually had to use that shit to stay alive.

Ash

Arcane
Impressions based on a few levels:

Music is shit
Tri-character system is dumb
Level design is...ok. Sometimes opens up but is often linear. And not the good kind of linear. The levels don't have a great deal of depth and interactivity, just static arena after static arena.
Tone and overall style is gay.
Challenge is presumably acceptable on higher difficulty modes, except you can't even play on hard difficulty without beating normal first, and normal is easy as shit.
Character designs are dumb.
Most things NEW they've added to the DMC formula here is fucking dumb.
It's not terrible for a modern game and they haven't totally ruined it like the reboot.

Anyhow, big pass on this game. Definitely won't be coming back for another chance like I did with the RE2 reboot. Nothing really appeals to me. I'll stick to DMC 1 and 3.
Even my rather casual roommates got bored of it pretty quick despite being DMC fans. Relevant because they play lots of the latest modern junk and typically enjoy it, but this didn't hold their attention? Either my impressions with the game are totally off and it's hardcore as fuck and turned the casuls away, or the game is just bland and can't even hold their attention let alone someone with high standards.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Challenge is presumably acceptable on higher difficulty modes, except you can't even play on hard difficulty without beating normal first, and normal is easy as shit.

Beat the boss in the prologue and instantly unlock hard mode. That's what I did and I probably would have enjoyed the game less if I didn't.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Music is shit

Only if can't reach rank S. :smug:

YOU CANNOT KILL ME!

Tri-character system is dumb

How is having more playstyle variety dumb?
Nero here has more deph than DMC3 Dante or Vergil.

Tone and overall style is gay.

The tone and style is overall the same as the other games.
The characters behave like they always did and the devs always tried to make these games graphically realistic.

Normal mode is a bit more forgiving than in 3 and 4 - except in the last 5 missions of the game.
The other difficulties are pretty much the same, and this game's Dante Must Die is the best of the series (enemies get new attacks).
Also Ash, you must not remenber the other games very well because you never could unlock the higher difficulties without first beating the previous ones.

Character designs are dumb.

What? They're the same.

The levels don't have a great deal of depth and interactivity, just static arena after static arena.

Cutting on the down time is what all fans always wanted because no one play these games for the puzzles and platforming. So the devs decided to give them that.

The levels have a good amount of secrets though.

Most things NEW they've added to the DMC formula here is fucking dumb.

Like?

Even my rather casual roommates got bored of it pretty quick despite being DMC fans. Relevant because they play lots of the latest modern junk and typically enjoy it,

I mean no disrespect, but you're roommates taste has been tainted.
This is the best DMC of the series. Most refined mechanics, most fun weapons, the best enemy design, most consistence batch of bossess quality-wise and actual content to support it unlike DMC4.

Tell me, when was the last time a action game with this level of deph and polish came out?
(I have a review in page 33 if you're interested)

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
I have no idea what they were thinking with V. I gave up on DMD because of him. The ridiculous enemy health bloat was OK with Nero, but going through V's missions on DMD is about as fun as doing the dishes. And I was really looking forward to Mission 19 on DMD, but now I guess I'll never see it. :negative:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Get all his moves and abilities, be varied when using them and use Nightmare when things get heated. If you're out of DT use the book. And don't play it safe, that's the worst possible way to play V with.
Also it's just 4 missions dude.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
As I said before I actually liked playing V on DMD cause you had to put effort into surviving. And I disliked playing him on the previous difficulty.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Ash how I am being in any way optimistic? The game has by any objective measure the best gameplay mechanics and enemy design of the series.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
honkhonk.png

what the fuck is this shit

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

what the fuck is this shit

You don't know of the latest /pol/ meme?
It's called Honkler. It means the Clown World, where everything and everyone is insane and things aren't what they supposed to be (like people who commit crimes aren't arrested but those who speak up have their lives destroyed).
Supposedly this meme originated as a evolution of the black pill, that since the world is crazy you might as well laugh it up and watch it all burn. I also heard it has roots in that scene where Batman interrogates the Joker in Dark Knight, and the Joker says that he's just ahead of the curved and realizes it's world who's insane (and as gained traction because of the latest Joker movie).
/pol/ has also tried to associate it with LGBTQIFSDLBV785, since his hair is like the flag of that "community", that way they can be accused of white supremacy.

Personally I think it's kinda of a shitty meme, and the fact it is losing a lot of popularity even in 4chan is proof of that.

Lambach

Arcane
Get all his moves and abilities, be varied when using them and use Nightmare when things get heated. If you're out of DT use the book. And don't play it safe, that's the worst possible way to play V with.
Also it's just 4 missions dude.

But his entire moveset is relatively unvaried to begin with, even compared to Nero, let alone Dante. And even the "varied" combos exist only bump your Stylish Rank, not increase your actual efficiency in taking down the bajillion health DMD enemies have. And by far the worst thing about him, in my eyes at least, is that his offense and defense are directly intertwined - i.e. you channel Griffon for X seconds to unleash his attack, then you cancel it because you have to double-jump from an enemy. Both Nero and Dante allow you to mix offensive and defensive skills on the fly, but for V, it's either one or the other.

Last edited:

No wonder, he's the biggest fan of the genre on YouTube. I appreciate his love for great action games like God Hand, NGB etc... but agree that he sometimes goes too far with his enthusiasm. I still don't get why he likes RE6 so much.

Probably because the gameplay in RE6 is so fucking good.

Onionguy

Educated

Probably because the gameplay in RE6 is so fucking good.

I agree, but the problem is that there is not much of it, since most of the game is an on-rail movie.

sullynathan

Arcane
Real impact is so satisfying. Dante is so satisfying. putting up the red orb barrier and the four sword barrier and just letting them go to town is great. Dante is effectively a battlemage and an action hero.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom