Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Dexter

Arcane
I just realized that aside from trying a Beta I haven't played a single EA game since Dead Space 3 in 2013 (and before that Mirror's Edge in 2012 and Battlefield 3, Alice: Madness Returns, Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm in 2011) and a single BioWare game since Dragon Age 2/Star Wars: The Old Republic in 2011: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Electronic_Arts_games

And I also realized that they really haven't even released a game that would particularly tempt me to since around the same time. Especially thankful for them fucking over the Battlefield series and cancelling Dead Space, since they were some of the last things I was interested in.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
BR is unorthodox compared to standard TDM. Do or die against 60 - 100 people, instead of constant respawn against 10 - 20. There is no going back

The time investment doesn't seem worth the reward to me. I used to play a bit of CS, Sof2 and MOH:AA Objective modes where you only had a single life and loved those as you had a roughly 50/50 chance of winning, but in BR it seems you can spend ages doing nothing and miles from any action and the chances of winning are pretty miniscule.
The low chance of winning is probably part of why these games are so appealing to the casual gamer. When you have no realistic expectation to win then you don't feel bad about losing all the time.

The low chance of winning is probably part of why these games are so appealing to the casual gamer. When you have no realistic expectation to win then you don't feel bad about losing all the time.
it's the other way around. Low chance of winning means success is even sweeter

No, my general understanding of casual psychology and game design for them says that Spectacle is right.

Basically casuals never want to feel like its their fault they lost. The more the casuals can be insulated from feeling responsible for their failures, the less they feel bad about failing (which, seeing as they are the lower-skill players, is destined to happen quite often).

If you look across the genres the games that are purely 1v1 are all super non-casual friendly, while more players makes it more casual friendly since a win is a win and a loss still means you can blame your team while feeling good about yourself. See e.g. MOBAs who literally have an intra-team rage fight every match over whose "fault" it was for losing, because to the casuals being able to shift blame to others is the key to feeling good about yourself. No one playing 1v1 Starcraft or Street Fighter has anyone to blame but themselves when they lose (which does genuinely feel bad).

Despite the fact that all of these genres nowadays tend to have very strict auto-matching systems literally designed to ensure you win roughly 50% of the time (unless you are the top 1% of players or bottom 1% of players), losing 50% of the time in a 5v5 game feels far less bad than losing 50% of the time in a 1v1 game.

BRs are just the logical extension. No one is supposed to win, so no one feels bad about losing. On top of that since everything is randomized everyone gets to blame bad luck at finding good weapons and so on as the reason for loss.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I wish I could read twatter. I'm not sure what I'm reading.

Is that really EA making a sarcastic reply? Did they apologize for it already or when is it happening?

Cael

Arcane
:whatho:
Did they had enough of progressivism and decided to make a change?!
I don't think EA's problem was ever about sjwankery. It is just that they are shit developers and wreck games from pure incompetence. Bungling nincompoops, in other words.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't think EA's problem was ever about sjwankery. It is just that they are shit developers and wreck games from pure incompetence. Bungling nincompoops, in other words.
They had for a CIO a swedish cuck! Also their last few game failed because of the sjw shit. Still i do agree they are shit and have shit games. But nothing that couldn't be fixed by having a nice neo-nazi at the helm.

Cael

Arcane
They had for a CIO a swedish cuck! Also their last few game failed because of the sjw shit. Still i do agree they are shit and have shit games. But nothing that couldn't be fixed by having a nice neo-nazi at the helm.
Last one I heard was the microtransactions debacle in some dumb FPS, so I was basing off that and what the fuckers did to Ultima.

Gerrard

Arcane
https://www.ea.com/news/an-update-on-our-organization

Today we took some important steps as a company to address our challenges and prepare for the opportunities ahead. As we look across a changing world around us, it’s clear that we must change with it. We’re making deliberate moves to better deliver on our commitments, refine our organization and meet the needs of our players. As part of this, we have made changes to our marketing and publishing organization, our operations teams, and we are ramping down our current presence in Japan and Russia as we focus on different ways to serve our players in those markets. In addition to organizational changes, we are deeply focused on increasing quality in our games and services. Great games will continue to be at the core of everything we do, and we are thinking differently about how to amaze and inspire our players.

This is a difficult day. The changes we’re making today will impact about 350 roles in our 9,000-person company. These are important but very hard decisions, and we do not take them lightly. We are friends and colleagues at EA, we appreciate and value everyone’s contributions, and we are doing everything we can to ensure we are looking after our people to help them through this period to find their next opportunity. This is our top priority.

-- Andrew Wilson, CEO of Electronic Arts

:discohitler: :balance:

Gerrard

Arcane
Is it true Anthem is a BASED game that destroys plebstations and make console kiddies cry?
It's more like PS4 is a shit system that can break if you don't shut it down properly.
But it does overheat them I guess if you never clean the dust.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Whatever they lose on Anthem they'll probably make up with Apex Legends, so I'd guess this is yet more trimming in the "not an online service" departments.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BR is unorthodox compared to standard TDM. Do or die against 60 - 100 people, instead of constant respawn against 10 - 20. There is no going back

The time investment doesn't seem worth the reward to me. I used to play a bit of CS, Sof2 and MOH:AA Objective modes where you only had a single life and loved those as you had a roughly 50/50 chance of winning, but in BR it seems you can spend ages doing nothing and miles from any action and the chances of winning are pretty miniscule.

1 life matches in shooters with standard map and player sizes are fun because they last maybe half an hour tops and then you can go into a rematch. The maps are designed in a way that pretty much guarantee contact with the enemy, because they're standard FPS maps.
I played a couple of one-life matches in Resistance and Liberation (WW2 sourcemod) and Battlegrounds 2 (18th century sourcemod), and they were a lot of fun. Squad tactics were the most important part of the gameplay there: make sure you stick to cover, make sure to scout before you rush out, coordinate your actions with your teammates. Provide suppressive fire, throw grenades, take risks when you think it's worth it. Matches would be 16v16 so you have enough players to form coherent squads, and the maps are made for such player sizes.

Meanwhile BR games are set on huuuge maps that are more like open world than standard FPS maps, so for a long time you have no guarantee of enemy contact at all. Due to the scavenging aspect you can just be unlucky and encounter an enemy with a gun while you still have nothing. So there's a long initial period of searching for equipment, and the chance of dying before you even properly started just because of bad luck.

In the WW2 FPS 1-life-matches I played, it was full-on squad tactics action from the first second as every player starts with a loadout and you take up positions immediately. Usually only takes 5 minutes until the first intense firefight.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Just logged in to Origin today after hearing about how a vulnerability was patched. The client still has an option for an offline mode but other than that it seems worse than all the others, even the Epic one. Their store interface wastes space and they have large icons for games that don't show any info on the game, including price, even if you mouse over them. The only things shown is if the game is included in their subscription service. Once you find a game you were looking for and go to its storepage, you can't even see its price there but have to click 'buy now' and choose to buy or subscribe to their sub service.

TLDR it takes min. 3 clicks to see a games price on this ''store''. They're basically slowly phasing out purchases it seems. RIP in peace game ownership?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I see the prices just fine, on the main page and the game page. Maybe it's a setting you have off or something?

xZKhDsL.jpg

GreyViper

Prophet
Sad to say its the only place I found Need For Speed Most Wanted with DLCs. The one version in seven seas do not have them included. :/ Also a good place to backup old Crusader No Remorse/No Regret games. Other then that maybe Titanfall 2 or Battlefield 4.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
script>
I'd clicked on Games>All PC games and gotten the interface I described. But Dalek was right and all I had to do was click on View>Store to get the UI he was getting. But this was what I was getting so you can't blame for not having it open too long : https://imgur.com/a/8qh78gT

EDIT: how the fuck does embedding images work?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Imgur albums must be embedded with the media button, right of the image button. Images can only be embedded with a direct link to the image file.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom