Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Having recently finished Lacrimosa of Dana, I have to declare it as my favorite game in the series. Near the end I was running out of steam and had to force myself to finish it, but it's a very long game and I rarely manage to finish games these days. It doesn't come close to the challenging gameplay of the series titles up to Origin, but LoD was a wonderful,unforgettable journey.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i heard dana is like 80 hours long? considering that's trails time don't know how fast paced game like ys can hold as much time as slow paced, methodical dialogue focused game like trails

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Don't fear endless drivel. Dana is about exploration and surviving on a hostile island. Great setup. Very charming. I think 80 hours is exaggerated.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Started Ys:Seven yesterday, thanks to a sale. And after configuring the controls a bit I must say ... I'm hooked. It's still the good old Ys'ian hacking and slashing, but now I have companions at my side and that makes it double awesome. If possible, I would only play as Dogi, because there's nothing manlier than putting your enemy down, only with your fists, YEAH! Surprised how good that works after Oath in Felghana and Origins and curious how the story will unfold (I already know what is about, but that HOW is often more interesting than the WHAT).

Last edited:

Exhuminator

Arcane
I have beaten a few Ys games.

Here's how I'd rate the ones I've beaten:

Ys Origin (PC) = 9.5/10
Ys Eternal (PC) = 8/10
Ys III (TGCD) = 7/10
Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC) = 8/10
Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SFC) = 5/10
Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita) = 8/10
Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand (SFC) = 6/10
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (PC) = 7/10
Ys Seven (PSP) = 9/10

The #1 must play Ys in my opinion, is Ys Origin. It distills everything that's awesome about the series into a lean mean monster mashing machine.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I have beaten a few Ys games.

Here's how I'd rate the ones I've beaten:

Ys Origin (PC) = 9.5/10
Ys Eternal (PC) = 8/10
Ys III (TGCD) = 7/10
Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC) = 8/10
Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SFC) = 5/10
Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita) = 8/10
Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand (SFC) = 6/10
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (PC) = 7/10
Ys Seven (PSP) = 9/10

The #1 must play Ys in my opinion, is Ys Origin. It distills everything that's awesome about the series into a lean mean monster mashing machine.

:bro:

I finished Seven today and I must say, that I think this was the correct decision in the right direction, because it gives us more characters to play with, while Adol does what he does best: swinging words. I also love Seven for finally letting me play as Dogi, who was my favorite companion to play with. Nothing beats the big, strong guy, who may be slow, but when he hits, he REALLY hit. Seriously, Dogis special attacks and skills were a godsend for bossfights.

I found the story quite good, too. I think it gets better in VIII, where they revisit a theme of Seven, but for a first try, this really good. It had a decent build-up for the world and the big twist, you felt for the characters and the ending was touching in this sad JRPG-way, that you only get with JRPG's. It is not as convoluted as Tales of Symphonia or some of the Final Fantasy's and I think that is a good thing. One big story, nothing more, nothing less. It has also the best Boss Fight I've fought so far in this series, where it also shows that Adol in a single-adventure could still work.

I think from all the ones I've played (only watched a Playthrough of VIII, since my Laptop is to weak for it), Seven is my favorite so far and it makes me more excited for IX. I believe, if they keep one of the Writers from Seven and VIII around and tweak the mechanics a bit (and don't put the next game completely bugged out), that IX could be awesome. Until then, I will try to play the rest of the series and try to learn not to suck at the bump-combat of Ys I and II :D.

My list:

Not ranked: Ys: VIII (best story, but haven't played it so far)
1. Ys: Seven (best story and best final boss so far)
2. Ys: Origin (Has the mechanics of it's predecessors perfected and the three characters motivate to replay the game. But the final boss is a bit easy - but I still have to beat the true final boss, so maybe it will overthrow Seven)
3. Ys: Oath of Felghana (Hard, but in a fun way. Good environmental storytelling and it has my second favorite, final boss)
4. Ys VI (Tried so much new stuff, but wasn't as good at it, as the other ones. Also lackluster endboss and story)

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i have heard nothing but amazing things about Ys 8. i am gonna catch up one way or another. probably gonna start ark of napithism next week. then ys celceta, then 7 then 8

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I heard the Western port was badly translated and buggy, but now they have fixed it? But the PC-Port was better? Dunno, did somebody here play VIII?

Exhuminator

Arcane
I heard the Western port was badly translated and buggy, but now they have fixed it? But the PC-Port was better? Dunno, did somebody here play VIII?

NIS has released free patches for all Ys VIII versions, that updates the localization to something respectable, among other fixes. It's a free patch. When I installed this game on my Vita a few months back, the patch automatically downloaded and configure itself when I booted the game. I imagine the other versions work the same way.

Ysaye

Arbiter

I haven't played the "final fixed translation" version but I have the first translation on PS Vita - In terms the translation it is generally okay just a little stilted and some obvious literally misses the point of some things. Game is good but a bit easy combat-wise (The "hard" optional tower was like "That's it?") - of recent Falcom action games I prefer Tokyo Xanadu in terms of gameplay and nothing as hard as early Ys. Exploration is pretty good especially as things open up mid-game and Dana's story is interesting.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Exhuminator & Ysaye

Thanks, I will keep it in mind.

Little detail, before I get to sleep: I played a bit of Ys 1 a few minutes ago. I am still at the beginning at got my ass handed even by easier enemies. But you have to buy yourself th right equipment. Turns out that I forgot, that I had already bought a sword and a chainmail and that I also forgot to equip them, since I was used, that the games do that automatically. Oops.

I put both on and now the game is suddenly FUN and I want more. The lesson of this? Dunno, never forget to doublecheck, kids?

Good night!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Working my way trough ark of naphitism.

So far origin > felghana > naphitism.

Napithism just dont work as well as felghana or origins. The dungeon in naphitisn feels tiny compared to felghana, the combat is okay i guess and story is as usual. Origins so far have the best dungeon (well when the whole game is dungeon i guess you can take your work in deph with 1 aspect.) best bosses and smoothest combat.

Felghana got really cool music, cool location and some great dungeons too.

Napithism multiple weapons with different combos instead of a single magic accesorry is really cool, but other part of the game arent as polished as the other games. Music is kinda meh too so far.

I will moving on to celceta after this.

spekkio

Arcane
Nigga, should've gone with 6 -> Felghana -> Origin, like I did. This way I've enjoyed all of them.

:smug:

Even SEVEN, which is decline, but not necessarily popamole.

:(

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, yes, especially since all the promo material still has a red haired Adol. I wonder who it is though.

The release date might be for reals.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
one post on reddit it might be adol dyed his hair for story reason. he entered a prison city and a bright red hair is too conspicuous appearance considering his reputation

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hmm in his monstrum form? Could be. Or it is a kind of hommunculi Doppelgaenger. Wouldn't complete out of nowhere, because JRPG's :D.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
napithism done. well. that was kinda disappointing actually, the final dungeon is really tiny, the bosses are just too straight up, arent designed was well as origins or felghana. i mean outside of gimmicky puzzley bosses, origins and felghana got cool straight up duels too. in napithism i feel like they don't think the movesets too well, you can just run around and deal damange indefinitely with magics. especially if you fully upgrade your swords, the magic charge every 30 seconds at most. the blue sword is less than 10 seconds i think.

but yeah, it really shows how their design progress improves over time from napithism > felghana > origins. from the movement, skillsets, enemy design, dungeon design to boss design pretty much napithism is inferior even i feel the soundtrack is weak compared to other falcom games.
not their strongest entry, but it wasn't a bad game. just pale in comparison to other games they made after and improve upon the formula. might be biased because i am an idiot and play origins > felghana > napithism, i didn't even realize i was playing the games in reverse of their release, so that's why i feel like each game regressed from the previous one i said. not until a friend pointed to me and i checked the wiki and i realize i got the order wrong lmao.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom