Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A game with pure RNG combat

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I am busy with my studies this time of year, but I intend to make a turn-based combat system in a few months time.

Here is my proposal...let me know if it's shit:

Two characters - a knight and a bandit - face off against each other.
The knight attacks the bandit. You calculate each characters Strength, Combat, Weapon type, etc. (whatever modifiers that are relevant) which are made into one single 'combat score' value.

The knight's combat score is 45 while the bandits is 20.

Now you take the sum of each character's combat scores, 60.

Then a random number generator generates a number between 1 and 60. If it is lower than or equal to 45, the knight lands a hit and kills the bandit.

I intend to include perma death too. Part of me just wants to read negative steam reviews from people mad that their Level 60 paladin that they invested 20 hours into got one-shotted by a peasant with a pitchfork.

Last edited:

Jokzore

Arbiter
I don't get it. The knight has a higher score yet it's harder for him to land a hit? Am I missing something or is this a troll?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How is this turn-based combat? It sounds like you could auto-resolve every combat encounter if it's as simple as comparing two numbers and rolling a die.

Void_Pickle

Educated
I'm not sure how this really differs from any other system with RNG. The calculation used to arrive at the final hit % is simpler? How is that interesting or meaningful for the player?

Jamma

Novice
Your system is fine if you design the game around it. A similar system was used in Desktop Dungeons (the combatant with more strength wins automatically), and it fun. Turn it into a game about preparing for combat (pre-buffing, luring enemy into preferable terrain, proper itemization), and the actual combat won't be important. I disagree with you on perma death since you want it to be luck based. Luck is fun, but losses should result in injuries that lower the "combat score", so that the player could gamble on a hard encounters with a huge rewards without fearing the punishment too much.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Two characters - a knight and a bandit - face off against each other.
The knight attacks the bandit. You calculate each characters Strength, Combat, Weapon type, etc. (whatever modifiers that are relevant) which are made into one single 'combat score' value.

The knight's combat score is 45 while the bandits is 20.

Now you take the sum of each character's combat scores, 60.

Then a random number generator generates a number between 1 and 60. If it is lower than or equal to 45, the knight lands a hit and kills the bandit.

Why the bolded part? It's unnecessary imo

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Your system is fine if you design the game around it.

I feel this is a bad generalization.

Some systems are just bad, period. Examples include "Endurance" in PoE, "Effort" in Numenera, etc. No matter what you do they are terrible systems. A system is either good or bad, you can't make a bad system, then construct the game around a bad system and it somehow remedies it (?).

Jamma

Novice
I feel this is a bad generalization.
It's not a generalization. I'm talking about his specific system. It's very similar to combat systems used in other games (Desktop dungeon, many many war sims like Panzer General). You tell one unit to attack the other and the outcome is based on a roll of dice, and the state of the attacking and defending units. It was fine in those games, it can be fine in his imaginary game.
A system is either good or bad, you can't make a bad system, then construct the game around a bad system and it somehow remedies it (?).
QWOP:
http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

You think this system is random, but in fact it is entirely the opposite. A single failure leads to your defeat. That means that as the number of encounters increases, the probability of overall success becomes vanishingly small.

Where N is the total number of encounters, P(x) is the probability of success for encounter numbered x, and for all P(x), 0 < P(x) < 1;
the probability of overall success S is:

S = P(1) P(2)P(3) ∙ ... ∙ P(N)

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Your system is fine if you design the game around it. A similar system was used in Desktop Dungeons (the combatant with more strength wins automatically), and it fun. Turn it into a game about preparing for combat (pre-buffing, luring enemy into preferable terrain, proper itemization), and the actual combat won't be important. I disagree with you on perma death since you want it to be luck based. Luck is fun, but losses should result in injuries that lower the "combat score", so that the player could gamble on a hard encounters with a huge rewards without fearing the punishment too much.

You think this system is random, but in fact it is entirely the opposite. A single failure leads to your defeat. That means that as the number of encounters increases, the probability of overall success becomes vanishingly small.

Where N is the total number of encounters, P(x) is the probability of success for encounter numbered x, and for all P(x), 0 < P(x) < 1;
the probability of overall success S is:

S = P(1) P(2)P(3) ∙ ... ∙ P(N)

Yeah perhaps I should have elaborated, the system is designed to discourage the player from going into combat. The whole point of the game is to get rich and to rise from peasant to king. If you die but you had children then you play as your descendant and he inherits your wealth and titles. Rarely the player will be ambushed by bandits when traveling between settlements so it's necessary to be very prepared for combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom