Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Microsoft not staffing them up and putting them to work on an exclusive "AAA RPG" would be insane, considering that's surely what they bought them for.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ex Dev on wildstar here. Watched the video and although it was quiet informative, I just wanted to chime in on some of the key factors on why this game was a huge flop. I worked on the game for 5+ years and let me tell you.. This games was destined to fail wayyy before there was any issues with servers or not enough updates. Development on this project was a nightmare. The real Development time frame was closer to 10/11 years. Coming onto the project at the 5 year mark I soon realized that the leads and big boys had no fucking clue what a good game was and they could not commit to any idea. Too many cooks in the kitchen that can't cook anything other than Mayo and Beef Jerky sandwiches... Look for the double meaning in that. It's there. One of the most prevalent issues with the game that I noticed was bad direction from top down. People like Tim Cain specifically made way more problems than they were worth. Honestly the guy was a total dick. Awful to work with and almost nothing he "did" ended up in the game. His lack of leardership I would say was one of the reasons why the first 4-5 years of the game were almost completely thrown out. Literally...

Found a random youtube comment about Tim Cain :lol:

Previously mentioned in the outer worlds thread by Fairfax: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-leonard-boyarsky.119594/page-30#post-5913145

The Real Fanboy
Josh retweeted this:

thinking.png
thinking.png
thinking.png

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Long Nguyen (former Troika employee) is the new Animation Director at Obsidian. Don't think they've had such position previously, then again they are definately beefing up their animation crew.
If you take the g out of Nguyen it spells nuyen so i'm 1000% certain that this is a confirmation that they're making a Shadowrun game and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Long Nguyen (former Troika employee) is the new Animation Director at Obsidian
I'm don't think bringing in a person from the Bloodlines animation team is much of a big deal. The guy who was the lead on Bloodlines's animation has been at Obsidian since the 2000s, didn't do them much good.

The Real Fanboy
I totally meant to post this forever ago but forgot! Phil Spencer was interviewed by Xbox and talked about the new studios and that they’ll have new things to show at E3! For Obsidian this means new stuff from Outer Worlds soo i guess we won’t be seeing anything new from them until then, but I guess inXile (the other rpg company Microsoft bought) will have something to show too! New rpgs are always exciting so that’s cute!

He also talked about how it will take years to integrate the new studios fully into Microsoft and have them all delivering all together (I guess for gamepass)!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It did take a few years for Bioware to go full EA after all.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
SoZ was crippled by the engine. Those goddamn loading screens and the rubbery combat.

And 1-room "dungeons" the size of a postage stamp, making the loading times that much more obnoxious when you saw the lack of payoff. I'd love to see someone take another stab at SoZ with a better engine.

frajaq

Erudite
Ehhh not really since you don't create your entire party from scratch, also party members cant interject directly on skill checks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom