Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People that like stories in games.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What do you think makes a good story?

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
To me, a good story is one that is (mostly) logical/consistent and interesting to follow. Apart from that, I really haven't any specific requirements.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't typically like movie style stories in games, i.e. "sit and watch this while you wait to play." There are some exceptions where it was super well done, like I guess Mass Effect and maybe the between level cutscenes in a game like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, but for the most part I want to PLAY games, not watch them. Thus the kinds of stories I prefer are ones where you're put in a world that is interesting and has a lot of interesting characters and factions, and you go around interacting with them in a more player-driven and sporadic manner. The good Fallouts and Morrowind are perfect examples of this and among my favorite games of all time. Don't go too overboard with the dialog and such though, I don't want to feel like I'm reading a novel when I'm trying to play a video game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
A functional story in a game gives decent context for whatever it is you are doing. A very shit story can ruin a lot, like D:OS1.

Swigen

Arbiter
The best stories build up a thing to the point where you think it’s this world destroying calamity only to reach the end and find that it’s a low poly whirlwind of snow and the bitch you been chasing the whole fuckin’ game overcomes it ‘cause she remembers her friends or whatever.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
A good story is one that respects my space and knows to stay the fuck out of my way if I don't want to hear all the details. However a good story is also interesting enough to make me want to go looking for it. Morrowind is a great example, you can ignore most of the lore and story since its in books (and Kirkbrides fanfics) and still have a good time and then replays let you fill in the details. Meanwhile a game like, say, Pillars of Eternity wants to cram tons of mostly useless information down your throat in the hopes that you equate word count to fun.

Abhay

Augur
I don't like stories that have been presented by games in the past. It should not be lacking in originality and certain level of uniqueness that makes it interesting for the players to invest time in getting immersed into the storyline.

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
i despise stories where your main character is a all good messiah and have to save the world from the evil.

Ironically,the only game that did this kind of story right is Unreal.

Overall,i despise any story where good vs evil is too black and white.

A good story is nice, but honestly I'm generally just content if the story isn't retarded. Also, in games, I think characters are more important than plot. A bland story is ok, whereas bland characters detract a lot from the experience. Good characters, conversely, can make a bland / basic story more engaging by their presence.

Memorable - leave me thinking about it after its finished; did a character do the right thing, what will come of that world after the story ends, how would I have done things if I was in that situation etc.
Airtight/logical - no or minimal plot holes and characters who do things that I can follow the logic of even if I don't agree with them
Unexpectedness - you don't need a huge twist or shock (can be good) but if you always know what will happen next then there will be no real punch. Even just some little things that come out of left side
Don't preach - a good story shouldn't tell someone what stance to take or what to think, instead it invites you to think

All of this applies for linear stories and interactive ones IMO. The only real difference with an interactive one is that you need to give some choices (many if its an RPG) and then follow them through in some way, don't ignore them or pretend they didn't happen.

Plaguecrafter

Novice
Not having a "save-the-world" kind of character as a protagonist. It can work in some cases, but generally it's all rehashed and you've read/played that story a dozen times already. Not forcing everything on the player and leaving some space to have "what would have happened if" thoughts is a plus.

A good plot twist also adds to the good story. Bioshock with its "Would you kindly?" comes to mind first when talking about plot twists in video game stories.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
One that is engaging, that keeps you wanting to know more. That even though the gameplay might be shit, you still endure it because you want to know what happens next. That's when I know it's a good story.

Of course I also like games with lots of choices, not necessarily with consequences (although it would be better that way), and interactivity.

Endemic

Arcane
Story-gameplay integration, some degree of choice-consequence, interesting characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom