Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bloodlines 2 Clan Introduction - Thinbloods

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Florian Schwarzer; Hardsuit Labs; Paradox Interactive; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Today on on their Twitch channel, Paradox broadcast the first episode in what will be a series of weekly streams introducing the six vampire clans that will be featured in the initial launch of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2. The first "clan" to be introduced is the Thinblood vampire class that player characters will start out as before joining one of the proper clans. In Bloodlines 2 thinbloods receive a few unique powers of their own, including the ability to summon bats, perform telekinesis and shroud themselves in mist. A brief new trailer offers us a look at a typical moment in the day of a newly embraced thinblood vampire, with several precious seconds of pre-alpha gameplay footage at the end. More details are available on the new page added to the game's official website. I quote:

THINBLOOD
Seattle has generally attracted a younger crowd and some of them unfortunately wind up on the streets of the city. For the Kindred, the thinbloods are their own version of street kids, and in recent years, their numbers have grown at what some might consider an alarming rate.

Despite being permitted in the city, many thinbloods don’t survive very long. With little understanding of what they are or the rules of Kindred society, they face a struggle to simply exist in a city carved up by established political factions. Many are killed when they pose a threat to the Masquerade. A few find work as grunts and runners for the less scrupulous denizens of Seattle. It’s not unheard of for a thinblood to gain enough respect to earn a more prominent role in a faction, but they are rarely shown the same respect or legal standing a full-blood clan member enjoys. It’s a hard, short life for most thinbloods in Seattle, but it’s also a city of opportunity for the few that can navigate their way into the higher circles of vampire society.

CHIROPTERAN
This Thinblood discipline calls on the vampire’s strong affinity to bats, allowing her to move through the air and summon swarms.

• Glide (Blood Cost: 1) is Chiropteran’s first active power, and can be enhanced by investing in the • • slot. Glide greatly lowers the weight of the vampire’s skeleton and muscle mass to allow them to float on updrafts, reaching otherwise inaccessible areas. In the air, the vampire can swoop into NPC to knock them down, pounce on enemies far below, or use the height advantage to rain down Disciplines from afar.

• • • Bat Swarm (Blood Cost: 2), the second active power, allows the vampire to summon a small swarm of bats to attack a target NPC, temporarily disabling them and dealing low damage. The • • • • and • • • • • slots grow this power, until a true Maelstrom of leathery wings surrounds the vampire, harrying and damaging any enemy who dares come too close.

MENTALISM
This Thinblood discipline allows the vampire to manipulate objects through telekinesis - allowing them to even pull weapons from enemies’ hands.

• Pull (Blood Cost: 0/1, target dependent) is Mentalism’s first active. It allows the vampire to manipulate inanimate objects from afar - whether that’s an inconvenient obstacle, or the knife in the hands of the NPC bearing down on them. The • • slot upgrades Pull even further.

• • • Levitate (Blood Cost: 2), the second active power, suspends a living NPC in the air. Its strength can be enhanced with the • • • • and • • • • • slots, until the vampire can levitate everyone and everything in an area, and throw suspended enemies around like ragdolls.

NEBULATION

This Thinblood discipline allow the vampire to call on her affinity to mist, allowing her to summon and command it.

• Mist Shroud (Blood Cost: 2), Nebulation’s first active power, envelops the vampire with mist for a short time, muffling footsteps and making them slightly harder to notice. In addition, the vampire can partially transform into mist for one invocation to either perform a choking attack on an NPC, or travel through tight spaces. The • • slot enhances these powers even further.

• • • Envelop (Blood Cost: 3), the second active, creates a stationary, swirling cloud of mist that surrounds, blinds and forcefully enters the lungs of NPC that touch it. It and Mist Shroud both can be further improved with the • • • • and • • • • • slots.
The next clan introduction stream will be broadcast next Thursday, and on Wednesdays thereafter. Five more clans just about covers the time from now until E3, where I assume the full gameplay footage will finally be revealed. I'm also told that the dev diaries are going to be published on a monthly basis.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
How does the "thinblood" joins the clan exactly? IIRC thinblood is just a 13th-15th generation "lesser" vampire who is basicly clanless and can't really do shit except some special powers. At least in revised edition of pnp Vampire the masquarade.
I can't think of a way they could potentially grow stronger, except acts of diablerie. Why and how they would even be able to learn other clans disciplines?

Any ideas, or they simply got everything wrong/player can actually have some sort of choice?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
How does the "thinblood" joins the clan exactly? IIRC thinblood is just a 13th-15th generation "lesser" vampire who is basicly clanless and can't really do shit except some special powers. At least in revised edition of pnp Vampire the masquarade.
I can't think of a way they could potentially grow stronger, except acts of diablerie. Why and how they would even be able to learn other clans disciplines?

Any ideas, or they simply got everything wrong/player can actually have some sort of choice?

Diablerie

Why they would even be able to learn other clans disciplines?

I don't know about becoming an OP monster that knows several signature clan disciplines, but if the thinblood/caitiff discovers he's actually in the "didn't know his heritage" group, he could learn more if an older vampire of the clan thinks he might be useful enough to bother tutoring.

Esquilax

Arcane

Personally, and I think that this is maybe an optimistic take on the matter, but I believe that they are keeping certain details of the plot secret at this stage, which is why there are a lot of questions and a lot of things that don't add up.

Warranted fears of SJW political insertion aside, I don't really anticipate egregious lore-rape of the caliber of thin-bloods becoming super-powerful vamps that can simply pick and choose what real clan that they want to be when they feel like it.

If I were to speculate, the thin-blood PC might be a tutorial or intro thing, whereas the "real" PC is a proper vampire who belongs to a clan.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

hexer

Wow, a whole 3 seconds of pre-alpha sneak-peek gameplay video at the end!
Is this game even gonna be finished on time?

It's that graphic novella rubbish everyone's been doing in the last 5+ years because its cheap, fast and you don't need an inclined artist

I remember Bioware starting that decline with some BG2 animations.
Never really liked it except when it fits the game world.. such as having a mascot for a company brand like in Fallout

Horton

Educated
I am pretty sure that short videos like this are meant to keep Bloodlines 2 on the ear of people.

Modron

Arcane
I like the notion of some of the abilities allowing you to reach hitherto unreachable areas, hopefully this is more gothic/risen inspired with hidden nooks and secrets dotting the map and less nudesuex's just alternate routes of entering/circumventing things.

Infantry

Educated
• Pull (Blood Cost: 0/1, target dependent) is Mentalism’s first active. It allows the vampire to manipulate inanimate objects from afar - whether that’s an inconvenient obstacle, or the knife in the hands of the NPC bearing down on them. The • • slot upgrades Pull even further.

Rats are not inanimate objects. Poor attention to detail in this video.

frajaq

Erudite
So these are the base abilities every character is gonna have and after you pick your clan you get the rest according to that clan? looks fair enough

Lambach

Arcane
How does the "thinblood" joins the clan exactly?

Diablerie only. But why would a society that treats Diablerie as one of the biggest no-no's accept you, and worse still, why would a Clan whose member you fucking cannibalized greet you with open arms is anyone's guess.

:popamole:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom