Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's defeat the Romans battle after battle without ever taking Rome in Field of Glory II

ValeVelKal

Arcane
That thread name is not a spoiler as I won't reload defeats :)

I. Early preparations in 221BC

II. The battle for Alithia
a. 7.00 AM : The approach

b. 9.30 AM : First engagement
c. 11.00 AM : Cavalry in difficulty, decision in the center and right
d. 12.30 AM : The Spaniards collapse on the right, the Punics on the left
e. 14.00 AM : Race to the center

III. The battle for the Rhône
a. Early morning : The approach

b. 11.00 AM : Shock along the line, right envelopment
c. 12.00 AM : An early collapse of the Gallic line

IV. The battle of Cannae
a. Early morning : Decision & deployment

b. 10.00 AM : Wild Pursuit

So I wanted to do more "Punic Wars" game, and I got technical complications for the one I initially wanted to do after my AAR "Hannibal, Carthage and the Second Punic War", so that one got postponed. Since there is a big Grand Strategic Ancient History game incoming soon - I am talking of course of Field of Glory : Empires, I thought I would do one for FOG II, since FoG:Empires will use FoG II for its battle resolution.

Early 221 BC - Preparation in Spain

The year is 221 BC, and Hannibal succeeded Hasdrupal-the-Fair as the commander of the Barcid Emp... of the Punic Estate in Spain.

Hannibal had made an oath ; he would fight the Romans. But before he would fight the Romans, he had to consolidate Spain, and in particular the Olcades.

Confident in his tactical genius and convinced he had to move as fast as possible, Hannibal knew he could not afford to lose time : he would regroup his best troops and commander and march directly against the Olcades's "capital" : Alithia.

My fellow officers, that first battle should be easy - but I will need you when, tomorrow, we march toward Rome.
Call "Present" and tell me about the units you will bring with you to the battle !

[I can rename units, so just pick one. Artillery is boring, but you can pick anything else and I will build my army around this, army size willing]

Once we are ready, we will march toward Alithia !

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't see the second picture.

But I'd guess (from your last AAR) that you can take heavy Punic cavalry to crush Spaniards.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I can't see the second picture.

But I'd guess (from your last AAR) that you can take heavy Punic cavalry to crush Spaniards.
Fixed.
That would be you, Baudon, being the head of Armoured Noble Cavalry ("Veteran Armoured Cavalry" is Spanish/Gallic)

oscar

Arcane
Fair amount of warbands, merc hoplites and African spearmen (all heavies of varying quality and maneuverability) to tangle with the medium foot Spainish scutarii. We'll likely have a stronger main line if they don't rough terrain/forest-hug.

The Spainish lists have lots of slingers and javelineers from memory so our own javelins and cheapo irregular/Phonecian-style (forgot the qualities of the latter unit actually, never played as the Carthaginians somehow) to soak up enemy fire while chasing and cheap-ish cavalry (noble and light javelin) to actually ride them down. The Italians are a nice option but IMO overkill as screens while not really good enough to take on the scutarii. Still don't entirely neglect the medium foot as we need them to create openings and act as bait if the AI does decide to play things cautiously

ValeVelKal

Arcane
So far (with OT PAradox interactive):

So far :

- Elephants : 2/3 ; Alxon and Swuulibal
- Veteran Armoured Cavalry 0/1
- Armoured Noble Cavalry 1/1 : Baudon (from RPGCodex)
- Noble Cavalry 1/3 : Lamabal
- Light Javelin Horse 1/4 : Anderbal the Magnificient
- [Spanish] warbands in close order 1/2 : Averno
- Mercenary Hoplites 2/2 : The Lone Gisgo and Teepasthènes
- African Spearmen 1/4 : Balitim
- Spanish scutarii 1/4 : Hermbral from the Pillars of Melqart
- Italian foot [very few available for now obviously]
- Phoenician-style foot 0/6
- [African] irregular foot 1/2 Tindrlal (from RPGCodex)
- Balearic slingers 1/1 Badadabon CCCXVI
- Light Javelinmen 0/4

Unallocated : Oscal, from RPG Codex

ValeVelKal

Arcane
221 BC - BATTLE FOR ALITHIA

Approx 7 AM.

As Hannibal marches on Alithia, he is met by the Olcades army. Hannibal wanted to win quickly and decisively, and he accepted battle despite a very unfavourable ground for his army. He left to me, Narval, commandement of his army as he wanted to test my tactical acumen :

The battlefield is particularly hilly, and many place quite rough ground for his cavalry. Each army is on the side of a low valley, the middle crossed by a rivulet easy to ford. On the right flank of the Carthaginian army, the rivulet throws itself in a lake.

I decided to use the small lake as a support for a weak right flank. The right flank, under command of Averno, is composed of the least manoeuvrable units : "Phonenician" infantry mixed with Averno's and Andjorbal's Spanish Warbands for resilience. Provided they reach the rivulet before the Spaniards, there will be no need for manoeuvring. Only concession to flexibility : Tindral's foot infantry.

Finally, Bardadabon's skirmishers are also on the right flank as I don't expect the left flank to need them...

I don't expect the left flank to lead them, because this is where all the cavalry is. The lake solves the problem or knowing whether I should distribute my cavalry to avoid being overwhelmed and flanked on one so everything heavy is going on the left : elephants, light cavalry, heavy cavalry - all led by Baudon. Their objective is to cross as soon as possible and annihilate the right wing of the Spaniard while the rest of the army keep them in place.

Finally, the middle, which should support the cavalry on the left, has what I have more disciplined and drilled infantry : mercenary hoplites, African spearmen, Scutarii. They are led by the Greek mercenary commandeer Teepasthènes, veteran of many campaigns.

Hannibal himself is with Narval, with some light cavalry on the right flank, though once the right flank is in position he will move to the left.

The Spanish deployment was some good news, as they had minimal cavalry, and on their left flank, so facing my heavy warbands. Their elite center was facing mine, while my cavalry was facing some medium infantry. There were suspiciously few skirmishers though :

The battle started ! The Punic moved toward the middle of the valley, while the Spaniards staid put, confident in their position :

By 8:30 AM, my infantry was on its expected position. The cavalry had crossed and was now marching uphill, while Badadabon was still crossing.

That's when the Olcades started moving. On their left flank, their light cavalry tried to oppose Badadabon's crossing, to no avail. More worryingly, on the Punic left flank, hordes and hordes of skirmishers moved out of the forest. Some hidden skirmishers had been expected - but not that much :

Here is a close-up of the situation on the left flank :

@Baudon : As the commander of the Cavalry (and Elephants), your troops are almost on top of the hill, but certainly you did not expect that many skirmishers. Do you pull back ? Do you charge the Spanish skirmishers ? Do you accept the losses due to missiles, keep formation and not charge the skirmishers ?
@Teepasthènes : Do you stay put, or do you cross in support of the cavalry ?
@Averno : You are next to Hannibal, who has ordered you to stay put (so you can't decide)
@ Bardadabon : You are not far from Hannibal, who has ordered you to cross (so you can't decide)

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
My advice (currently the 36th best ranked player of the game :smug:) if it's permitted:

The elephants were a bad idea. They are cost-inefficient for tying down the warbands and average medium foot they will be fighting and will need to carefully be kept away from skirmishers. Elephant routs are extra-disruptive to nearby unit's cohesion tests.

Charge the skirmishers not in rough terrain to cause them to flee behind the Spainish lines. It's not ideal but we need to get that entire wing (especially the elephants) into combat, where they can't be shot ASAP. Our own skirmishers would have been very useful here to charge there's or act as a screen.

On the plus side there seems little risk of our cavalry getting encircled if we do decide to charge (I haven't played the AI enough to know if they'd be sneaky and have some hidden cavalry waiting to flank us in the forest

We don't have much flanking opportunities ourselves due to the nature of the map so we're going to have to accept a meatgrinder. Still we have plentiful heavy foot so things should go our way in a straight up fight.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're asking me to take tactical decisions? Because that's how you end up with the Charge of the Light Brigade (on a good day).

I guess that pulling back won't change anything, they won't follow us and the situation would remain the same. If we charge, the consequence would be that the cavalry would be left isolated against the enemy infantry if Teepasthènes doesn't cross to support us. I'd say that I trust him, so charge!

(I had written before Oscar's post, but at least it look like the right decision from what he's saying)

ValeVelKal

Arcane
My advice (currently the 36th best ranked player of the game :smug:) if it's permitted:

The elephants were a bad idea. They are cost-inefficient for tying down the warbands and average medium foot they will be fighting and will need to carefully be kept away from skirmishers. Elephant routs are extra-disruptive to nearby unit's cohesion tests.

Charge the skirmishers not in rough terrain to cause them to flee behind the Spainish lines. It's not ideal but we need to get that entire wing (especially the elephants) into combat, where they can't be shot ASAP. Our own skirmishers would have been very useful here to charge there's or act as a screen.

On the plus side there seems little risk of our cavalry getting encircled if we do decide to charge (I haven't played the AI enough to know if they'd be sneaky and have some hidden cavalry waiting to flank us in the forest

We don't have much flanking opportunities ourselves due to the nature of the map so we're going to have to accept a meatgrinder. Still we have plentiful heavy foot so things should go our way in a straight up fight.
Dang. I did tutorial and one (1) campaign against AI at difficulty 3/6 [Caesar campaign] so I am a big noob, compared to you. I am at difficult 4/6 progressive (so it will become 5/6 later in the campaign.
I would have taken only one elephant, and noble cavalry rather than armoured cavalry, but what do you know readers wanted the elephants.

oscar

Arcane
Elephants are fantastic against (and causing proximity moderate disruption to what can also be extremely useful, but is a double edged sword as they cause mild disruption to even friendly cavalry) enemy heavy cavalry and pinning down expensive enemy heavy infantry (so useful against Romans, Byzantines, Macedonian/Successor armies etc as well as any all-cavalry steppe army list). Otherwise they tend to be more trouble than they're worth against large, cheap infantry armies with lots of skirmishers like the Spaniards. As you get more experienced you'll

The armoured cavalry isn't a terrible choice (the armour makes them suffer less losses to ranged fire as well as being slightly better in melee).

I also would have flipped your flanks around, putting the cavalry wing against the lake and the skirmishes on the other flank. The left flank is terrible terrible terrain for cavalry with only a few paths for the cavalry to charge across that don't have rough ground across them. A smart human player would definitely advance the scutarii onto them and therefore be able to pin your entire cavalry wing (several hundred points) with only three scutarii (about 110 points from memory) then shoot them to pieces if you hang around or be able to flank any attack on the centre if you fall back.

It's not all bad though, your cavalry is more than able to hold their own for a few turns while the infantry catch up and if you can get pass the rough ground you're on an uphill. Medium foot get extra penalties to their cohesion test for losing combat against cavalry (or heavy foot for that matter) so with a bit of luck you should be able to score some disrupts.

tl;dr charge anything that's in open ground

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Elephants are fantastic against (and causing proximity moderate disruption to what can also be extremely useful, but is a double edged sword as they cause mild disruption to even friendly cavalry) enemy heavy cavalry and pinning down expensive enemy heavy infantry (so useful against Romans, Byzantines, Macedonian/Successor armies etc as well as any all-cavalry steppe army list). Otherwise they tend to be more trouble than they're worth against large, cheap infantry armies with lots of skirmishers like the Spaniards.
The armoured cavalry isn't a terrible choice (the armour makes them suffer less losses to ranged fire as well as being slightly better in melee).

I also would have flipped your flanks around, putting the cavalry wing against the lake and the skirmishes on the other flank. The left flank is terrible terrible terrain for cavalry with only a few paths for the cavalry to charge across that don't have rough ground across them. A smart human player would definitely advance the scutarii onto them and therefore be able to pin your entire cavalry wing (several hundred points) with only three scutarii (about 110 points from memory) then shoot them to pieces if you hang around or be able to flank any attack on the centre if you fall back.

It's not all bad though, your cavalry is more than able to hold their own for a few turns while the infantry catch up and if you can get pass the rough ground you're on an uphill. Medium foot get extra penalties to their cohesion test for losing combat against cavalry (or heavy foot for that matter) so with a bit of luck you should be able to score some disrupts.

tl;dr charge anything that's in open ground
I guess even going with one elephant (if the readers did not want 2) would have been a mistake.
About which flank to attack with cavalry, I initially considered the right flank, but the river is further away and the hill has forest and uneven ground. I was afraid of reaching the river too late with the Cavalry and critically elephants if the Spaniards had moved immediately.
Middle is the only place with some ground with cavalry, but I lack experience to know whether cavalry wins in a frontal charge against closed warbands. Maybe the elephants do ?
Since I did not want to go gamey and push cavalry on the other side of the lake, it left the left wing... but yes, I should have thought about the units hidden in a forest (and against a real player - I never played PvP - I assume this is a great ground for ambush). In addition, the Spaniards not advancing means that they are now in "difficult ground" rather than on the even part of the hill.

Oh well, learning by doing.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
221 BC - BATTLE FOR ALITHIA - APPROX 9H30

On the left wing, Commander Baudon decided to charge the Spanish line, whatever targets would be offered to him.

The skirmishers managed to flee while the horses were navigating some rough ground, and the charge proved more devastating for the Punic cohesion than for the Spaniards : some horsemen reached the downhill slopes before the barbarians, more got stuck in the rocky hill. Alxon and Swuulibal avoided the rocks altogether and headed toward the center of the Spanish line.

With the left wing advancing, Teepasthènes decided not to respect Hannibal's order to hold the line and advance his force to support. I therefore decided to advance the right wing as well.

Faced with more horses than they ever saw in their lives, the Spanish nonetheless decided to charge back. After all - the Punic cavalry seemed to lack cohesion at the moment. Meanwhile, light skirmishers peepered Grimgravim's cavalry with Javelin. His force, already hampered by the ground, was disrupted :

On their left flank, the Spaniards advanced to meet the advancing Carthaginian.

"What did you plan to do, Narval ?"
"Engage the enemy while on the high ground and use my cavalry in open field !"
"And what did you do ?"
"Engage my cavalry in difficult ground and my infantry in uphill combat".

The battle carried on :

On the right Punic flank, Baudon ordered to pull back to reorganize, while the light cavalry and Grimgravin tried to pin-down the skirmishers.

On the left flank, Badadadon ordered to engage the light cavalry and start turning the Spaniard. The light cavalrt rode away - for a time, while the Spaniards were peppered in projectives.

Averno ordered an uphill charge. The Olcades unit facing his troops had already received a fair share of stones from their backs, and now they were about to receive the full brunt of a charge. Their line immediately fragmented - they would not hold for long.

Finally, in the center, Teepasthènes had located the Spanish warlord, and his commanders, and was very close to engage them at satisfying odds :

While some Spanish units were starting to panic on the Spanish left wing, the rout of one unit generating the disruption of another, on the Spanish right wing the situation was better. The Spaniards managed to kill several elephants, and while a pursuit of Baudon's cavalry sent hundreds of soldiers against well positioned cavalry, the skirmishers managed to move behind the heavy cavalry again.

At this point - every commander knew what he had to do

[Any comment on the format of the AAR so far ? Too much information ? more image and less text ? the opposite ? A bit interactive for "commanders", or not at all ?
also oscar any point charging retreating troops in the middle of the melee. There are routing troops just in front of Phoenician infantry]

oscar

Arcane
Bloody cracking AAR, love the personal touches. As for the second question generally no however routing units sometimes reform (though at fragmented quality and often far from the fighting meaning they'll often be effectively out of the fighting anyway but considering the points victory system this can be annoying). Units with no where to retreat will 'disperse' when pursued what means they are totally wiped from the match.

I generally wouldn't bother with it unless it's a nice juicy unit (Roman Veteran Legionaries or something) and you have nothing better to do with it (i.e light foot or javelin horse out of ammo sitting around with nothing to do while everyone else is engaged in combat). A somewhat finicky use for them too is impact foot and shock cavalry if ordered to pursue them can be lead into charging anything else they collide into on the way. This is unreliable but can be a way to make your forces charge from longer distances than they would typically be allowed too.

Oh and if you pin down Baisebilos you'll have a lovely flanking opportunity to disrupt Icerbales with Teepasthenes as units in combat no longer Zone of Control your units movement and charges.. I also spy another flanking option on the right side of the picture with the first uphill Spanish unit.

Mouvement2E3_zpseyisjscq.png

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane

Wait, you're Narwhal? No wonder I like this AAR, I use to love your duels with Loki in Rise of Prussia, and the matchstick shenanigans of Wars in America (well, his shenanigans) :love:

Is our army simply better than theirs man for man? We're engaging on the whole line on unfavorable ground yet we seem to be coming out ahead. I've never played this game, so we might be on the verge of disaster as far as I know.
What's the format of the campaign by the way, just a string of semi random battle linked together by a persistent army? Do your troops gain xp with each battle?

I'll echo Oscar in saying that I like the format too.

ValeVelKal

Arcane

Wait, you're Narwhal? No wonder I like this AAR, I use to love your duels with Loki in Rise of Prussia, and the matchstick shenanigans of Wars in America (well, his shenanigans) :love:

Is our army simply better than theirs man for man? We're engaging on the whole line on unfavorable ground yet we seem to be coming out ahead. I've never played this game, so we might be on the verge of disaster as far as I know.
What's the format of the campaign by the way, just a string of semi random battle linked together by a persistent army? Do your troops gain xp with each battle?

I'll echo Oscar in saying that I like the format too.
Well, yes I am Narwhal and I am surprised you would remember a 8 years old or so AAR.

My army is better man for man. The Spaniards are good for the volume of skimrshers they have, but the AI put them all in their right wing flank (logically) but that are countered by my light cavalry. I am overwhelming them on the left wing in terms of number, and I managed to bring my elephants on his heavier troops, so he is in reality fighting 1vs1 with equal quality in the middle, but with my elephants on top.
I am more worried for my left wing (so where my cavalry is) as I am being pushed back and one of my elephant is getting surrounded (cavalry that loses a battle or does not like the odds tend to disengage and move back, leaving infantry and elephants strandeed).

Also, on the left and right, the Spaniards have a second line of infantry behind the first one.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
221 BC - BATTLE FOR ALITHIA - APPROX 11H00

On the left wing of the Punic army, the light cavalry is still engaging on-and-off against skirmishers while the heavier cavalry is trying to find a way to charge the infantry :

On the right wing of the Punic army, the Punic infantry is now mostly uphill and is starting to turn the Olcades :

But the decisive action happened in the center of the line : the keen-eye of Teepasthènes so that the Spanish leader - Baisebilos - had left some space between his warband and the other warbands on the left and the right. He ordered infantry on the right of the Punic center to engage the left of Baisebilos - and even though it meant charging uphill and some disruption, it robbed Baisebilos of any cover.

Once alone, Baisebilos band could be surrounded, and routed in only a few minutes. Teepasthènes engaged his own veteran Greeks for the dangerous task of locking down the attention of the warband, before it was mercilessly flanked by Balitim and the LoneGisco.

Here is the situation by that point :

While their center is folding, the right wing of the Spaniards is still going strong. As the cavalry is harassed by skirmishers, the Spaniards surround Alxon's elephants, which is soon routed :

The panic communicates to the rest of the Punic armies on the left, in particular the elephants, but also to Hermbral's light unit which had started to infiltrate the enemy line.

On the left wing, few movement is possible for the Olcades, and more of their infantrt start to disrupt :

Teepasthènes realizes he does not have long to exploit the advantage he gained in the center, and start to avance toward the left flank of the enemy line - hoping to bring glory to his name by helping Hannibal's side. While cavalry passed by him as they locked on Spanish skirmishers that had found "refuge" behind their general warband, Teepasthènes ordered to surround and destroy a lone Spanish medium infantry group that was brought to support the faltering Spanish line...

… to no avail. The infantry resisted against all odds.

On the left wing, the combat between skirmishers and cavalry carried on, spending the time & ressources of the most elite units in the Carthaginian army :

On the right wing, the Carthaginians carried on their envelopment :

The general situation was thus this one :

The Carthaginians were about to collapse on their left, while they were about to envelop and probably destroy the Spaniards on their right... provided the left would hold if only one more hour !

But it would not ! Swuulibal elephants panic, and the right Spanish wing is not free to be brought against the Punic center !

Just in time, too, as on their left wing yet another unit panic in front of Averno's onslaught …

What the Spaniards don't know is that one of Hannibal's most trustworthy general had fallen - killed or wounded it was too soon to know - but Averno would play no more role in this battle.

This turn of event communicated panic to both the Punish and the Spanish lines, the former at the news of the loss of their leader, the later at seeing the comrades flee.

By noon, the battle could still go either way.

@Teepasthènes : Are you going to carry on moving in support of the Punic right wing, or are you going to pivot and face the Spanish left wing ?
@Anderbal : Your light cavalry is disengaged. Will you carry fighting against the skirmishers, supporting Baudon and Oscal, or are you going to support the Punic center ?
@Andjordal : You are now in command of the Punic right wing, though at the moment Hannibal is here to tell you what to do !

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Well, yes I am Narwhal and I am surprised you would remember a 8 years old or so AAR.
Oh don't worry, I had to look up your tread on the Paradox Forums and check your signature there. Those AAR got me to play AGEOD games back then, so of course seeing them there was enough to make me remember them. They are also really really good, so they deserved some space in my memory.

@Andjordal : You are now in command of the Punic right wing, though at the moment Hannibal is here to tell you what to do !
I shall redouble my efforts under the eyes of my supreme leader :salute:

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
Any comment on the format of the AAR so far ? Too much information ? more image and less text ? the opposite ? A bit interactive for "commanders", or not at all ?

As you can see from the result of my orders, it's usually not a good idea to ask me, even if it was cool. I enjoy the format.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Battle of Alitha, approx 12H30

As a reminder of the situation :

While the loss of Averno on the right flank was tragic, there were only 3 Spanish units of infantry still fighting (and 2 more on an hill between the right and the center), and Hannibal was determined to break them quickly.

Hannibal's cavalry lead the uphill charge against some of that infantry. The charge did not break through, but the Spaniards were heavily disrupted

Light infantry then attacked, but again charging uphill, the Spaniards managed to hold the line :

What made the difference was Andjorbal heavy infantry. The loss of Averno had driven his troops in a new ferocity, and Andjorbal himself wanted to show himself as deserving the new command position. His troops overwhelmed and routed the Spaniards facing him …

… and the Spaniards who had resisted Hannibal, seeing their choice was being fleeing or being flanked, routed as well.

The light infantry immediately used the opportunity to climb the hill, and meet the last of the Spaniards on the right wing, while Andjorbal followed his furious in the pursuit.

As for the last Spaniards, Tindrlal was preparing to charge them from their back, while Averno's infantry - now Avernoless - engaged a Spanish unit on its way to bolster a line that had collapsed.

Meanwhile, the situation on the left was still as confused as ever, with Anderbal's cavalry trying very hard to be useful, why Oscal made sure there was some distance between him and the skirmishers.

In the middle, Teepasthènes ordered the troops under his command to prepare against the last unengaged infantry, while he pivoted to face - alone - the whole right flank of the barbarian army. Hermbral's units had none of the necessary discipline to rotate against the thread.

As the sun started to fall toward the horizon, everything lingered on how fast the left wing of Hannibal could be brought to help Teepasthènes :

The right wing of the Spanish line split in half :
- Half of the line turned to face Grimgravim, and tried to surround the cavalry
- The other half charged Hermbral - whose infantry immediately broke and fled before contact - and then Teepasthènes, who received the charge without difficulty

Meanwhile, the pursuit carried on on the right Punic flank and in his pursuit Andjorbal met the flank of the Spanish "reinforcement" already engaged against the other warband. This was too much for them :

By that point the situation was pretty good for Carthage, provided Teepasthènes would hold one more hour. The center of the Spanish line was about to be swept. Hannibal was mostly worried for his cavalry - how much of it would be back at the end of the day ?

Leaving Tindrlal to rout the one remaining unit on the right hill, Hannibal moved to bolster the infantry fighting in the center :

In the middle, some of the Spaniards saw the writing in the wall and routed at their turn :

They were 2 units of infantry still standing for the whole center.

Meanwhile, in the left wing, the cavalry was dispersing as much as possible (including Lamabal and Grimgravim), in order to regroup and coordinate again with the infantry.

… all, except Baudon and Anderbal, which were engaged by a mix of skirmishers and melee warriors.

Anderbal was suddenly charges from all directions by the skirmishers, with no way to disengage. Surrounded by melee warrior, his situation was desperate :

Meanwhile, Teepasthènes was still holding, alone, the whole Spanish right !

It is now close to 2 PM, and both right wings win on their side and are now moving toward the center, with Teepasthènes acting as central pivot. Everyone knows what he has to do.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Is it always such a clusterfuck (as seen by a newb like me, I think players like you can understand what's happening), or is this something that don't usually happen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom