Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Modders already hard at work fixing Paradox's screw ups:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1723160766&searchtext=
Emendatio Historiae Imperatoris

Features
- More than 100 new historical countries across the map
- Modified map to represent the ancient coastline
- Two new regions
- Added a new nation formation decision
- Annual consul elections
- Senate appointments of offices in republics, with term limits
- Progressive cultural and religious conversion through events

Vision
The aims are more historical accuracy, expanding upon existing vanilla content to give more flavour to the player and eventually work on adding new bookmarks in a modular format, with the core mod being mandatory and bookmarks optional. With this stated, I want to make it clear that the philosophy of this mod will be different from that of the vanilla game, in the sense that more emphasis will be put on plausibility. That will lead the mod to not just simply expand upon vanilla while keeping the spirit, but also to question some choices that have been made in the base game and change them for it to correspond with our vision.

Future plans
For now, there are the following plans, in no particular order:
- Add new offices
- Add and adjust more province boundaries
- Add more historical countries
- Make the fabricate claim option slower, rather than instant
- Add bookmarks for the following dates: Pyrrhic War, First Punic War, Second Punic War, War of Antiochos, Third Punic War, Social War

ZeniBot

Cipher
I really hope Paradox burns for this game. Its unplayable. Nothing fucking works. I tried playing as Rome just then and the stupid AI decided to go walkies. The only way to play this game is to basically Napoleon the fuck out of everyone and fight them yourself because the AI is too incompetent to help you. I even saw Paradoxes own devs having this problem and was shocked by the fact they were just deflecting saying "This is fine. Its how it should work" bullshit.

I'll also point out that none of the Console commands in this are the same as in other Paradox titles. As such swapping countries is a pain in the ass. They even left the fucking debug modes on by default. Fucking useless developers.

Edit: "Some Autist made a Sculpture of you. How do you react. A: ITS FUCKING SHIT REMOVE IT B: ITS FUCKING SHIT." this is actual an event in the game and it keeps showing.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Map fixes are hardly the key issue, though, is it? The question is whether it has the internal faction dynamics that's lively enough to larp with. But there seems to be even more "buy mana spend mana" shit than eu4.

Zeriel

Arcane
Its actually worse than that, they either lied about optimization or were using supercomputers, because they specifically said before release that it was running faster than any other Paradox game had before. That was coming from Johan.

I really hope Paradox burns for this game. Its unplayable. Nothing fucking works. I tried playing as Rome just then and the stupid AI decided to go walkies. The only way to play this game is to basically Napoleon the fuck out of everyone and fight them yourself because the AI is too incompetent to help you
Really? The AI helped just fine during my invasions of other countries. The main problem is that it's all way too easy and simplistic. Fabricating a claim is INSTANT.
I even saw Paradoxes own devs having this problem and was shocked by the fact they were just deflecting saying "This is fine. Its how it should work" bullshit.
yeah, not a good sign.
Edit: "Some Autist made a Sculpture of you. How do you react. A: ITS FUCKING SHIT REMOVE IT B: ITS FUCKING SHIT." this is actual an event in the game and it keeps showing.
lol
- Pdox's increasingly Political Correct/SJW history
this is a thing.

centrist-tards or burnt out /pol/acks whinge whenever someone brings them up, but they ruin games. They have zero skills and only care about inserting their pet politics into the game. They HATE gamers and are only there for some easy money, to pal around with whatever friend or fuck buddy hired them and to screw over the gameworld with their propaganda.

ZeniBot

Cipher
The problem with the friendly AI has to do with Fog of War, they keep pathing into larger armies getting themselves killed and leaving me to fight alone. Its really fucking annoying and you have no idea when its going to happen because the fog of war prevents you seeing anything, the only way to ensure that doesn't happen is by linking your armies to allied armies but this also results in them engaging in shit fights because the AI is retarded.

I will say I did a Jew run and I had a much better time, generally fighting tribes is an easier and fun time compared to fighting civilised nations plus I had big brother backing me up so I could bully all the smaller tribes, I figure works for Israel today so why not 2000+ years too early?

The problem with the friendly AI has to do with Fog of War, they keep pathing into larger armies getting themselves killed and leaving me to fight alone.
ah, yeah, I think I saw them do something like this too.

had to rush to save them before they all died.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Its actually worse than that, they either lied about optimization or were using supercomputers, because they specifically said before release that it was running faster than any other Paradox game had before. That was coming from Johan.
The resource use of the game does seem good though. The problem is the stutter that doesn't make any sense.

Colonization is retarded. Requires about 25 clicks per province (teleport slaves to 10 pops->colonize->teleport slaves to new colony, repeat) and 21 green mana per province. As far as I can tell there is no mana cap so it is actually, literally possible to colonize the whole world in 1 day of game time. I did it for Ireland (~50 provinces), I think I've lost too many brain cells already.

Aggressive Expansion is nonsense. It just makes your wrong-culture pops mad. Conquer 1 province 100 years ago? They'll be fine. Conquer 10 provinces now? They'll be made... and the province you conquered 100 years ago will be exactly the same level of mad, because those pops disapprove of your aggression.

For some reason you can only ally powers of the same "tier" as you. What this means is that while mindlessly colonization I hit some magic threshold that meant all my alliances were away. Great, makes sense. Paradox smart. I'm sure this is some kind of awful MP balance thing.

UI is generally bad. There's no kind of state overview so you can see when a province is fully converted (so that you can switch it to promoting citizens and shit). Meaning just guess or go mouse over every pop in every one of these hundreds or provinces. Fuck you. The provinces are too small and you have to zoom way too far in to see them, everything ends up obscured by the too large soldiers and other UI elements. Unit tactics and flanking settings and everything is just such meaningless bullshit, like some awful attempt to get the total war audience. For some reason the worst part of EU4, completely RNG sieging, is still in.

Pop growth is even dumber than Stellaris. It's quicker to grow 1->2 than 100->101. lol? Have fun blobbing and spamming those colonies since every one of them is exactly like a new planet was in Stellaris.

Your leaders will raise their own armies. Thankfully they pay the gold for them. Unfortunately they don't pay the manpower. This becomes an issue when they raise a 20k army and the highest supply limit in your entire kingdom is 15k. What the hell...

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
The resource use of the game does seem good though. The problem is the stutter that doesn't make any sense.

Eh it's basically the same thing that's in every one of their games, in every Paradox real-time GSG you have daily AI/logic ticks that constitute the entire burden of performance, these games are never GPU bound and always CPU bound. That's why I'm not too optimistic about them fixing it in a big way. They will probably make it tolerable enough that people will be okay with early game, but it will remain an issue in general.

ZeniBot

Cipher
mmm great idea Paradox, Make it so that Tribals with warbands lose control of their armies (ie. The Ai controls these armies, you don't control them at all) and they sit in stupid areas eating manpower because of attrition then Barbarians invade and you can't defend.
This game is fucked beyond belief.

Edit: Issue fixed itself, once the general died I was able to disband them.

Last edited:

Colonization is retarded. Requires about 25 clicks per province (teleport slaves to 10 pops->colonize->teleport slaves to new colony, repeat) and 21 green mana per province. As far as I can tell there is no mana cap so it is actually, literally possible to colonize the whole world in 1 day of game time. I did it for Ireland (~50 provinces), I think I've lost too many brain cells already.
lmao

can't wait for VTMB2 :salute:

ZeniBot

Cipher
Yeah I tried the Colonisation system, its hilariously op. If you go for the Czechoslovakian area you could end up with an empire bigger than even India at the start of the game. It has a bad snowballing effect because every time you colonise you get the populations native to that area, do it enough times and you have unlimited pop.

Stupid fucking game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I can feel the waves of disappointment and I didn't even buy the damn thing. This doesn't seem like just a waste of a 'time period', so much as a waste of years of Paradox perfecting a formula that should have made this a guaranteed top notch title.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Yeah I tried the Colonisation system, its hilariously op. If you go for the Czechoslovakian area you could end up with an empire bigger than even India at the start of the game. It has a bad snowballing effect because every time you colonise you get the populations native to that area, do it enough times and you have unlimited pop.

Stupid fucking game.

Eastern Europe is also filled with gold, iron, gems and all sorts of trade goods that you otherwise can barely access so migrating there asap is extremely beneficial. Nobody will oppose you either.

titus

Arcane
Patron
Tested it. Bland as fuck, it's called imperator rome as you're only meant to play it once probably.
Lots of changes to the modding system though, so their money is on modders. Can't wait for the DLC wave

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Im at war with some tribal revolt guys ACROSS THE ALPS and I have no idea why.
Guys, this isn't just bland, I'm afraid it's also buggy as fuck. :lol:

0xyG2rC.png

Comte

This game is trash. Played it for an hour last night horrible performance. I was playing as Rome. The UI is fucking horrible avoid this game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I get the feeling that Johan is the problem at Paradox atm. Whenever I read about Paradox, some game, some bug, shitty dlc, etc, it always come back to him
thinking.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom