Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imagine picking the n64 over the ps1 as a kid LOL

Nevermind PSX, for those who put N64 over Saturn - could you explain your statement?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
As it was, no RPGs and an abrupt and early pullout ensured Nintendo could scrape by in second place.
That sucks the most. There was quite an amount of RPGs for Saturn, but most of them never left Japan.

Baroque alone could keep the player occupied for quite a few weeks, if not months. Devil Summoner & Soul Hackers could keep the dungeon crawling fans on board.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Speaking of n64,has anybody played the ogre game on the n64?

That is the only game i am even interested for the system.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
You can probably trace the N64's failure in Japan to the fact Robotron 64 only got a US and Europe release.

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
Speaking of n64,has anybody played the ogre game on the n64?

That is the only game i am even interested for the system.

Great game, only good RPG for the N64 i've ever encountered, and a worthy addition to the Ogre Battle series.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS TRUE STORY

I HAD A GIRLFRIEND BY ME AN N64 I WANTED INSTEAD OF PLAYSTATION

A YEAR LATER I GOT DRUNK AT LUNCH THEN GOT MORE DRUNK AT THE MALL WITH MY GIRLFRIENDS LITTLE BROTHER THEN I BOUGHT A PLAYDTATION AND A HEDGEHOG

mogwaimon

Magister
LOLOL AND LATER THAT SUMMER I BOUGHT A PC AND FALLOUT ONE AND TWO
i don't know if you're having a laugh at my blogpost mate but i'll tell you one thing, i never had the full version of fallout. i only had the demo disc, it was great, but i never did get my hands on the full game. take that

Ash

Arcane
wtf is Saturn ??

Sega's home console of the time.

there wasn't much to love on the N64.

Super Mario 64, Master Quest, Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong Country, Resident Evil 2, F-Zero X, Aiden Chronicles (a very obscure RPG, that was unfortunately released too late in the N64 life cycle), Super Smash Bros, Star Fox 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Doom 64, GoldenEye, Paper Mario, Perfect Dark.

Metal Gear is a pretty overrated game, Tenchu 1/2 were far better.

PS1 > N64 by far. So many great games, while the N64 had very few, and basically no RPGs at that. But I'll add Turok, Turok 2 and Duke Nukem: Zero Hour to your list. The N64 did have one upside over the PS1 and that was its capability when it comes to FPS/TPS games. Even when it comes to platformers, which the N64 is known for, I prefer the PS1's selection. Crash Bandicoot. Tomb Raider, Spyro the Dragon, Medievil, Castlevania and more.

But Nintendo gets credit for me for the Super Nintendo which was the clear best console of its generation. The gameboy handhelds were pretty awesome too and substituted the N64's lack of a competent library.

Last edited:
PSX was great for JRPGs, but I'll take AKI's wrestling games over them any day of the week. Especially now, as they still feel great today, and nobody makes anything quite like them anymore...not even AKI/syn Sophia. At the time the N64 was out there was a lot to be said for being able to play with three other people too.

Crash Bandicoot was shit. I'm still confused over the love those games get, remember playing the first one at a Toy's R Us (I think it was before it'd come out) and being completely unimpressed by it's 3D "platforming". It seems weird to even bring up platformers as a straight of the PSX in comparison to the N64, when the N64 was vastly superior to it in that regard. PSX didn't have any platforms even half as good as Mario 64, and Mischief Makers was a better 2D one than anything on PSX too.

Tomb Raider was out on everything; I had it on the Saturn, which was the first thing it was out on.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The only 3D action games on PS1 with controls on par with the N64 were Legacy of Kain and Spyro. Not 100% confident they were good games, but at least they didn't have shitty tank controls.

Ash

Arcane
To date the PS1 is my favourite console and I return to its library from time to time with emulators.
I played the crap out of it (and just about every other gaming machine at the time) while my N64 got occasionally brought out for the odd session due to lacklustre library. Modern gaming just does not even come close overall.

Exclusives:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Parasite Eve 1
Parasite Eve 2
Syphon Filter
Syphon Filter 2
Tenchu
Tenchu 2
Medievil
Hogs of War
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 3
Spyro The Dragon
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
Duke Nukem: Time to Kill
Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes
Koudelka
Tomba
Silent Bomber
Disruptor
Bloodlines
Blade
G-Darius
Grudge Warriors
Overboard
Kula World
Oddworld

Include a bunch of straightforward racing, wrestling, sports, puzzle and 2D fighting games here (e.g Street Fighter EX, Driver, FIFA).
I don't list them because while I enjoyed such games I don't consider them having the same lasting appeal, unique identity, depth nor entertainment value as the above. Take FiFA for example. Later iterations are obviously better.

PC Ports and Multiplatform:

Vigilante 8
Vigilante 8: Second Offense
Tony Hawks Pro Skater
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
Tomb Raider 1
Tomb Raider 2
Tomb Raider 3
Resident Evil 2
Nightmare Creatures
Final Fantasy 6
Martian Gothic
Exhumed/Powerslave
Quake 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Doom
Final Doom
X-Com
S.C.A.R.S
Crusader: No Remorse
Command and Conquer
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
Worms Armageddon
Worms World Party
Civilisation 2

In most cases the PS1 version was better than the respective N64 version.
In many cases PC ports to this console had worthwhile changes that made them worth checking out even if you had the game on PC.

Doesn't hold up anymore but was fun at the time:

Die Hard Trilogy
Die Hard Trilogy 2
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor: Underground
007: the World is not Enough
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
I don't remember if Carmageddon was any good

And there's STILL a shitload of allegedly good games I have to check out such as Rayman, Akuji the Heartless, Persona and a bunch of other JRPGs (and pray they don't have shit gameplay like Suikoden, Final Fantasy 4, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger and so many other ridiculously overrated "classic" JRPG shitfests).

How anyone can claim the N64 is better than the almighty PS1 is obviously ignorant. And the "muh early 3D era sucks" types are a bunch of tards. Between the incredible 3D games released on the PC in the 90s, the PS1's amazing library many being 3D, and I guess some N64 titles, early 3D games owned it. Then when the tech quickly advanced, it just all became about graphics and realism.

Machocruz

Arcane
The first console a company puts out seems to be their most interesting, to me. Still to this day I have fonder memories of PS1 than I do of any of Sony's other consoles. PS2 had some game changers for sure, but I'm not certain it launched as many great series or was as experimental. Original Xbox library was also more interesting to me than 360.

What I want to bring up though is the NES. Now that had an interesting library. 16-bit era is where sports, RPG, and character action (meaning action games where you control a person/humanoid.) started completely dominating the forefront of console gaming, at least in the U.S. . But on NES you had a lot of niche stuff sharing shelf space with Mario and Zelda. Numerous puzzle and adventure games and what are now called "metroidvanias". Favorites of mine were Shadowgate, Adventures of Lolo, Solstice, Legacy of the Wizard, Blaster Master, Solomon's Key, Marble Madness, Clash at Demonhead, Faxanadu. Not to mention all the odd action games, sports, shmups, RPGs. Super Dodge Ball, anyone? The Guardian Legend?

The technical limitations of the console gave it a strong identity. The NES look and sound are totally unique and identifiable. NES music IS nostalgia incarnate.

On a related note, I always thought Capcom got too carried away with the color possibilities presented by the SNES, in the Mega Man X games. They look garish in some areas, with a lot of clashing colors, just because they could. The NES Mega Mans have a strong graphic design style and color harmony, and I like NES MM's design more than the generic Disney boy look they gave him later. I'm not saying NES games looked better, I'm saying there is an aesthetic there that is iconic, memorable, and appealing in its own way, all the way down to the sprites used for items. Think 19th century Japanese woodblock print compared to 19th century French oil painting.

Last edited:
In many cases PC ports to this console had worthwhile changes that made them worth checking out even if you had the game on PC.

Trve, I consider PSX ports of Doom, Final Doom and Quake 2 to be just a different experience instead of inferior versions of PC source material.

But it goes for Duke 64 as well.

But the best FPS on the PSX was Ghost in the Shell. '97 was a good year of first person shooters on consoles. It and Goldeneye are doing some pretty interesting things.

To date the PS1 is my favourite console and I return to its library from time to time with emulators.
I played the crap out of it (and just about every other gaming machine at the time) while my N64 got occasionally brought out for the odd session due to lacklustre library. Modern gaming just does not even come close overall.

Exclusives:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Parasite Eve 1
Parasite Eve 2
Syphon Filter
Syphon Filter 2
Tenchu
Tenchu 2
Medievil
Hogs of War
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 3
Spyro The Dragon
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
Duke Nukem: Time to Kill
Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes
Koudelka
Tomba
Silent Bomber
Disruptor
Bloodlines
Blade
G-Darius
Grudge Warriors
Overboard
Kula World
Oddworld

Include a bunch of straightforward racing, wrestling, sports, puzzle and 2D fighting games here (e.g Street Fighter EX, Driver, FIFA).
I don't list them because while I enjoyed such games I don't consider them having the same lasting appeal, unique identity, depth nor entertainment value as the above. Take FiFA for example. Later iterations are obviously better.

PC Ports and Multiplatform:

Vigilante 8
Vigilante 8: Second Offense
Tony Hawks Pro Skater
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
Tomb Raider 1
Tomb Raider 2
Tomb Raider 3
Resident Evil 2
Nightmare Creatures
Final Fantasy 6
Martian Gothic
Exhumed/Powerslave
Quake 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Doom
Final Doom
X-Com
S.C.A.R.S
Crusader: No Remorse
Command and Conquer
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
Worms Armageddon
Worms World Party
Civilisation 2

In most cases the PS1 version was better than the respective N64 version.

Doesn't hold up anymore but was fun at the time:

Die Hard Trilogy
Die Hard Trilogy 2
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor: Underground
007: the World is not Enough
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
I don't remember if Carmageddon was any good

And there's STILL a shitload of allegedly good games I have to check out such as Rayman, Akuji the Heartless, Persona and a bunch of other JRPGs (and pray they don't have shit gameplay like Suikoden, Final Fantasy 4, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger and so many other ridiculously overrated "classic" JRPG shitfests).

How anyone can claim the N64 is better than the almighty PS1 is obviously ignorant. And the "muh early 3D era sucks" types are a bunch of tards. Between the incredible 3D games released on the PC in the 90s, the PS1's amazing library many being 3D, and I guess some N64 titles, early 3D games owned it. Then when the tech quickly advanced, it just all became about graphics and realism.

It's funny because here I am saying I'd take the N64 over the PSX, but looking at that list, I'm thinking I played way more PSX game than you despite not even owning one.

Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil, Oddworld, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Hogs of War, even Metal Gear Solid were all out on different things besides the PSX. MGS is the only one of them that took a while to come to something else, so at least for maybe a couple it was PSX exclusive. I think it came to PC right at the end of the PSX's life when the PSOne was coming out.

The PSX definitely has more stuff. I doubt anyone saying they'd take a N64 over the PSX is arguing it on those grounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom