Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG praised by the Codex that you're reluctant to try?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
A lot of Top 50 games fall into that category for me, it's not that i'm reluctant, i'm never going to play many of them like :
- Deus Ex
- Dark Souls
- Gothic 2
- The Witcher 1 & 2
- System Shock 2
- Alpha Protocol

Why ? Single character action 3D "RPG"
For some reason, i can't stand these although i can play and enjoy some top down/isometric action "RPG" eventually. (like Crosscode, Legends of grindea or some older ones like Landstalker and legacy of Kain )

Some that i barely played, less than one hour, sometimes just 5 or 10 minutes outside of character creation.
- Morrowind -> Why ? Bland hiking simulator.
- MotB (never played it actually, only played the original campaign) -> why ? Most retarded RtwP engine ever created.
- FNV -> Why ? Only tried a demo back then because it was "Fallout" turns out it wasn't

There's more but these are probably the worst for me.

Last edited:

Skall

Learned
Anything that's RTwP. I always end up trying them, hoping that much like P:T the combat isn't too frequent and there are other elements that make up for it, but invariably I end up disappointed. That's not to say that RTwP doesn't have depth, and if you enjoy it, that's great. I just don't look for an action-y element in party-based games.

I suppose RTwP helps mask the amount of misses and waiting that's prevalent in low-level D&D games, but to me it always feels like the system actually requires more micro-management than turn-based titles. The interface and dynamics are pure RTS: pathfinding is often an issue, units or groups of units need to be constantly re-selected, actions can often be queued but then need to be kept track of in real time to see if they executed properly, etc.

Combat does tend to resolve faster, but that also seems to encourage developers to load up on the quantity of encounters and the amount of enemies in each encounter. These trash-mobs don't exactly require brilliant tactics to overcome, so managing the party becomes less and less important. AI settings can also further automate the most commonly desired behaviour. The end result makes me think of a multi-character musou game, except without all the fireworks.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Gothic series.

Unlike old turn based game, the 3 Ghotics are all clunky to play, being old action RPGs. Tried Gothic for < 10 hours and very unlikely I will try Gothic 2 or Gothic 3.

It took me several years before Gothic finally "clicked" for me. I didn't purchase the games when they game out initially because I just didn't have the cash for them, but I did try the demos PB released (remember when that was a thing?). Found it too janky, didn't play too much of it.
I only got around to purchasing the complete games around the time of Gothic 3's release, figured I'd give the entire trilogy another guy. I booted up Gothic 1, and suddenly I seemed to understand what people liked so much about them.

Really, I think the clunkyness is a bit overstated by some people. Yeah, it's pretty janky at points, but I got used to it after about 30 minutes of playing.
The combat takes a lot to get used to, but that's also what makes it so much fun. It's one of those rare games that gives you an actual sense of growth. Sure, you get better equipment and stat growth, but you actually become better at the game, what with the timing-based combat and all.

I really recommend sticking with it!

Well.... Gothic 1 and 2 at least...

Mustawd

Arcanum - It just seems horribly broken from a systems perspective.

Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder - Realtime blobbers seem like a stupid concept best enjoyed by twitch players.

Dark Souls - The sheer amount of people who recommend this tells me it’s probably not for me. I’m not huge on high skill action games.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dark Souls - The sheer amount of people who recommend this tells me it’s probably not for me. I’m not huge on high skill action games.

Myth. You don't have to have very high skills to beat the game. In fact, if you keep your eyes open and explore the world solutions open up independent of skill.

The game can be beat even by a person that likes to make graphs and Excel spreadsheets.

And bottom line, if you still can't do it, I can tell you of a shield that you can pick up in the first hour of the game that can carry you through 90% of the game with close to 0 poops given.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ELEX because i don't know if its good or if its just a meme

ELEX is soooo good

E404360AAA2F69FF4D0105E8C4F6403F2C58716F

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
The Witcher series. An important aspect of RPGs for me is being able to make my own character. I hate being forced to play a set character, even if I have minor choices like swords, magic or swords and magic? And, yes, I'll say the same about Planescape: Torment. I just don't want to be forced to play as that box cover art guy, who always looked like some '80s pro wrestler.

Barbalos

Savant
It's not universally praised, but either Pillars of Eternity. I tried the first one when it was newer and thought the combat was inferior to Baldur's Gate and most DnD style games, and the word-overdose dialogue bored the shit out of me incredibly quickly. Lost interest after a short time and never looked back at it.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

1) it's not a high skill action game (patience and tactical approaches are much more important than dexterity)
2) you can grind as much as your heart desires (leveling up makes the game easier, duh)

AdolfSatan

Arcane
It's not just that it's broken. It's an absolute pain in the ass to handle, from the camera controls to the shitty UI. Yet, even with all its issues, you'll be glad you played it if you put the effort in.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
A lot of people seem to love Alpha Protocol as the quintessential Obsidian flawed gem but the premise itself doesn’t interest me in the least, might watch a Let’s Play and check it out

Arcanum; I liked Fallout (but never loved it until New Vegas) so this seemed like an evolution of the concept but with even worse combat so I don’t think I will be playing it anytime soon... plus Steampunk is sooo 80’s

I could think really hard on other games but those 2 always stick out in my mind as games that might be perfectly fine but simply not for me

Falksi

Arcane
A lot of Top 50 games fall into that category for me, it's not that i'm reluctant, i'm never going to play many of them like :
- Deus Ex
- Dark Souls
- Gothic 2
- The Witcher 1 & 2
- System Shock 2
- Alpha Protocol
- Morrowind
- FNV

Holy shizny. If I were to do a "top 20 RPGs" list they'd likely all be in there.

Some serious quality gaming there which you're missing out on chap.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
AoD. It just sounds like people who praise it praise it for being bad.

It's not bad, but I would say it's more of a CYOA rather than a RPG.

Wizardry 7. It just sounds like people who praise it praise it for being bad.

I see what you did there.

Chrono Trigger. Can't stand weeb graphics.

You're missing out on a pretty fun game.

This will sound like (it probably is) blasphemy, but Planescape: Torment. All I hear is that there's ONE certain way to play the game (putting all points into wisdom, intelligence and charisma...also playing a mage) and you NEED to do that to be able to fully appreciate the game. For some reason that just created this currently unsurpassable mental block in my head.

You're not missing out. Planescape Torment is pretty much just a interactive novel. People here just shill it because of these 2 reasons:
1) this site started out a Black Isle, Troika fanboy forum
2) storyfags and their "muh writing"

Anything mentioned on the JRPG Weeb forum because JRPG

Unfortunately (((someone))) though it would be funny put in that forum every game of Japanese origin - that includes even action games. So you're missing out on a lot of great games.

Unlike old turn based game, the 3 Ghotics are all clunky to play, being old action RPGs. Tried Gothic for < 10 hours and very unlikely I will try Gothic 2 or Gothic 3.

Under those clunky mechanics lies a gem of game with quests, exploration and world design still excellent to this day. Really you are doing a disservice to yourself.
lot of Top 50 games fall into that category for me, it's not that i'm reluctant, i'm never going to play many of them like :
- Deus Ex
- Dark Souls
- Gothic 2
- The Witcher 1
- System Shock 2

Why ? Single character action 3D "RPG"
For some reason, i can't stand these

Get the fuck out.

Darklands

But.. Why? Darklands is awesome. Aside from the dwarf mines.

My biggest gripe with it was the RTwP combat.

It really doesn't take skill to beat those games, only patience and the bare minimum of attention. Pure action games like Ninja Gaiden and fighting games are the ones that require actual skill to play (well).
Also git gud son.

Grimemore : Autists Rise Up

:ibelieveincleve:

Saduj

Arcane
Anything with a first person view. I think it goes back to my initial butthurt upon seeing Ultima Underworld. Just something about the first person view made me hate it. And first person melee is objectively shit. I used to like FPSs. Played Deus Ex and at the time considered it an FPS rather than an RPG. But now that I'm old and only play RPGs, I just have no interest in anything first person.

On the balance, it seems like I'm avoiding more shit than missing out on anything good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom