Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher A Slavic RPG thread w. screenshots

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Lately I've been digging around for good RPGs from Slavic developers. I've only gotten around to playing a couple of them, but I want to have a thread both for discussion and to see if I've skimmed over anything.

Already played:

Underrail
. It's so good I made a whole thread about it: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-underrail-is-incline.126691/
Though, if I had to summarize it in one of those clickbaity headlines, I'd say it's ''the RPG that brought us incline three fingers at a time''.
screenshot.underrail.853x480.2016-01-05.75.jpg

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Wiedźmin 3: Dziki Gon. A good game destined from the beginning to get a lot of shit on the Dex. The core gameplay's kinda meh, but its personality goes a long way. The main game's not as good as the expansions, but still, it's definitely enjoyable. All of this also goes for the Witcher 1. I haven't played the second game.
9GJsJTb.jpg

Gorky 17. A mishmash of a bunch of different games: the encounters and character progression play out like a heavily simplified Jagged Alliance, there's the ammo conservation idea from Resident Evil, the overworld controls of a Tim Schafer game, and a bunch of other shit. It's a solid game either way.
meduza.jpg

In the backlog:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance. This one will probably end up in the same camp as the Witcher 3 (or Arcanum) for me.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Atom RPG. The official review of Atom was pretty interesting to read, and it confirmed all my impressions of the game, so I can assume it's gonna be the same for Kingmaker. The impression these two games gave me are ''Baldur's gate 3 with sexy graphics'' and ''the real Fallout 3, but you have to have a very high IQ to understand it''.
20181220090555_1.jpg

Revew-pathfinder-kingmaker-5.jpg

Boiling Point: Road to Hell. I had to order a physical copy of this one. I've never heard of it up until recently, and I would't've picked it up if it didn't seem so interesting on paper. I've never played an RPG about South American drug lords, so it seems like less of a typical RPG and more of an RPG/Far Cry hybrid.
boilingpoint_20518.jpg

On the fence:

Inquisitor
. From what I've gathered it's like a Diablo clone. Some people say it's an underrated classic, others say it's shit. I'll probably play it some day, just not any time soon.
eef7c9efdbccbd710e75b48bc34646c952054cc0f8e4eaf8b785d2c473414cda_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

Planet Alcatraz (This is one case where the English title is much better). I could only find a version in Russian, and I played it until it got dialogue-heavy.
It was alright.
planet-alcatraz-67486.jpg

Edit: I left this one out.
Two worlds 2. It's clearly one of those time sink RPGs like Amalur, but I've heard it's not bad. There's not much info about it on the Dex, so I can't know for sure until I play it.
Two-Worlds-2.jpg

Last edited:

Sheepherder

Augur
Planet Alcatraz is actually p. good. If you can read russian I definitely recommend trying it. I'm not too fluent in vatnik, but dialogue was very fun to read. As I understand they had an actual book writer on the team, or at least he helped out and it shows. Combat and quest design is simple, but enjoyable. There's an english version on steam, but the translation is total shit. Also, the very end levels of the game are utter trash.

Inquisitor is kinda grindy. Story is okay and the game looks good when you can actually see the sprites in an environment that's not a pitch-black dungeon #78. But the actual gameplay drags on and on. Giant dungeons filled with hordes of respawning re-colored mobs, boring loot, inventory tetris, a fucking stamina bar plus an equipment durability system on top of that in an arpg of all things. I finished it as a priest, but I don't recommend it.

Void_Pickle

Educated
Inquisitor was... interesting. It had some good parts but they were sandwiched in between lots (lots) of tedious bad-diablo-clone combat.

Think Divine Divinity if the early dungeon was most of the game.

Paul_cz

Arcane
As a Slav I am no doubt biased but Slavic games are often the best games. Cool thread. STALKER is not a full blown RPG but is a somewhat of a hybrid, especially Call of Pripyat, and is amazing too. Also enjoyed Metro Exodus this year, albeit that is a pure shooter.
Three out of six of my favourite game this generation are slavic (Witcher 3, Kingdom Come, Metro Exodus...the other three are Dishonored 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Prey).

Also very excited to play Seven: Days Long Gone, get it into the OP, OP.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd add Evil Islands to the list. Fast RTwP combat with aimed attacks and limb damage, focus on stealth, avoiding guards and backstabbing, very good crafting system for items and spells (and putting spells into items), very nice low-tech setting in act 1 with stone and bone weapons and no metal armor other than what can be salvaged from ruins. The character skill development system is wonky and the game is hard, sometimes unfairly so (if you play on hard angry peasants in act 2 will have better attack/def than your hero who just beat act 1). Acts 2&3 aren't as good as act 1 but they're still fun, and act 1 is roughly 50% of the game. Also it was made by some of the people who later made Kingmaker.

406394cd13839a193f35a25d15ecf300.jpg

Proklyatie_Zemli_3.jpg

Farlands_2_Systemic_Crafting_of_Evil_Islands_mp4_snapshot_03_05_2018_02_28_08_49_34.jpg

00015649.jpg
In 2001 those graphics were the shit.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
As a Slav I am no doubt biased but Slavic games are often the best games. Cool thread. STALKER is not a full blown RPG but is a somewhat of a hybrid, especially Call of Pripyat, and is amazing too. Also enjoyed Metro Exodus this year, albeit that is a pure shooter.
Three out of six of my favourite game this generation are slavic (Witcher 3, Kingdom Come, Metro Exodus...the other three are Dishonored 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Prey).

Also very excited to play Seven: Days Long Gone, get it into the OP, OP.

STALKER is not a game; it’s a way of life.

Would certainly second it being a great game and depiction of everyday Slavic routine. I especially love that it lures you in with the promise of a dark atmosphere and then ЧИКИ БРИКИs all over your face.

Not a big fan of Metro, though.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
There are some Slavic roguelikes. Xenocide, Avanor, Time of Old Ages, Зачистка Хьерварда ( :lol: ) and so on.
Isn't that guy who made DoomRL was Polish as well?

We had similar thread recently.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/most-slavic-rpg-is-it-konung.124468/

'the real Fallout 3, but you have to have a very high IQ to understand it''
You need to be dumb as chair to enjoy writing in this game. Dunno about English translation, but Russian text is preposterously stilted, full of idiotically misplaced references (from Nietzsche to Pokemon), lowlifes that speak like some soviet civil servant and overall reeks of pretentious college dropout.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I'd add Evil Islands to the list. Fast RTwP combat with aimed attacks and limb damage, focus on stealth, avoiding guards and backstabbing, very good crafting system for items and spells (and putting spells into items), very nice low-tech setting in act 1 with stone and bone weapons and no metal armor other than what can be salvaged from ruins. The character skill development system is wonky and the game is hard, sometimes unfairly so (if you play on hard angry peasants in act 2 will have better attack/def than your hero who just beat act 1). Acts 2&3 aren't as good as act 1 but they're still fun, and act 1 is roughly 50% of the game. Also it was made by some of the people who later made Kingmaker.

406394cd13839a193f35a25d15ecf300.jpg

Proklyatie_Zemli_3.jpg

Farlands_2_Systemic_Crafting_of_Evil_Islands_mp4_snapshot_03_05_2018_02_28_08_49_34.jpg

00015649.jpg
In 2001 those graphics were the shit.
Just installed it. I knew it was gonna be good as soon as I saw Svarog's star.

I'll def play this one too, seems like it takes a Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy approach to WW2.

Space Rangers 2 my brat
I didn't know that was an RPG. Added to the backlog.

'the real Fallout 3, but you have to have a very high IQ to understand it''
You need to be dumb as chair to enjoy writing in this game. Dunno about English translation, but Russian text is preposterously stilted, full of idiotically misplaced references (from Nietzsche to Pokemon), lowlifes that speak like some soviet civil servant and overall reeks of pretentious college dropout.
Replace ''pretentious college dropout'' with ''emotionally retarded virgin'' and you have my exact thoughts on nier automata. Also as soon as you brought up pokemon I knew I was right to reference Rick and Morty.

That's how we call sharks in Croatia :)

Pegultagol

Erudite
I remember a game called Precursors, made by the developers of Boiling Point. Looks to be following similar if not identical formula to its FPS/RPG hybrid predecessor, but in Sci-fi setting. Strangely enough, but perhaps understandably, the game has the Boiling Point icon for its game executable. Also there's a patch https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-prec.../downloads/the-precursors-unofficial-patch-19 that could be downloaded to fix audio issues.

Disciple

Savant
I'm curious about 'Brány Skeldalu', a Czech dungeon crawler released back in 1998. Has anyone here played it?

Brany_Skeldalu_Higher_Res.png

Last edited:

EldarEldrad

Savant
Planet Alcatraz is actually p. good. If you can read russian I definitely recommend trying it. I'm not too fluent in vatnik, but dialogue was very fun to read. As I understand they had an actual book writer on the team, or at least he helped out and it shows. Combat and quest design is simple, but enjoyable. There's an english version on steam, but the translation is total shit. Also, the very end levels of the game are utter trash.
Actually, writer of the game is crazy russian-communist-boomer, who worked in russian police, then switched to creating so called "funny translations" (for example, he take Lord of the Rings film, voice them in Russian in a manner of way that have nothing common with film, but full of toilet humor and obscene lexis. It was very popular in Russia 15 years ago). Now he has communist Youtube channel where he discuss how all capitalists should die

BadOperaSinger

Barely Literate
It is time someone did a game based on "Dzikie Pola". And while we're talking Stalker, I feel it's obligatory to mention Call of Chernobyl mod!

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Inquisitor. From what I've gathered it's like a Diablo clone. Some people say it's an underrated classic, others say it's shit. I'll probably play it some day, just not any time soon.
I would recommend the game but only until you hit the iron mines/orc caves (end of act 1) which would otherwise test the limit of your patience for shit content. At that point you should have experienced everything good the game has to offer and you don't need to drag yourself through another two acts which follow the exact same story progression, beat for beat, as in act 1.
The aesthetics are extremely pleasing and walking around is a joy in itself if it wasn't for the extremely slow movement speed. Roll a priest, it's by far the most comfortable class to play. Once you get into it it's very enjoyable, and you get to torture heretics!

V_K

Arcane
I'm curious about 'Brány Skeldalu', a Czech dungeon crawler released back in 1998. Has anyone here played it?

Brany_Skeldalu_Higher_Res.png
It's fairly decent. Kinda like turn-based Lands of Lore with better puzzles. It was never officially translated into English though, so the translation available on the net is rather quircky.
There's also a recent sequel, 7 Mages, which is also reasonably good.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In no particular order, both released and upcoming games:

Encased (inspired by Fallout, it's probably the only game you can really call a fully-fledged RPG in this list)
Iratus: Lord of the Dead (Darkest Dungeon inpired)
Grimshade (looks like jrpg, but I'm not realy familiar with weebo stuff to pick a closest resemblance)
Ash of Gods (Banner Saga lookalike)
Sin Slayers (recently failed kicktarter)
Deck of Ashes (it's card game, but why not?)

Yosharian

Arcane
Get out of here, STALKER.

Watching HBO's new mini-series Chernobyl really reminded me of that game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom