Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Results: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...9-results-are-out.127466/page-15#post-6121015

25 points seems very little. If I'm going to quote all the games that I consider relevant, I end up not being able to use an appropriate score to differentiate them. And if I put a fair score, I can't quote many games.
The old is always better so...
Arcanum - 5 points
Torment - 5 points
Baldur's Gate 2 - 5 points
Might and Magic 6 - 5 points

1 points in the next 5 games
ELEX
ATOM
ShadowRun Dragonfall
Underrail
Witcher 3

felipepepe i kind of feel that 25 points are not enough for a good sample,maybe something between 30-50.
Having 25 points has two goals:

- We can easily compare with the previous poll, since it's the same rules.
- You are forced to choose. And that's great. From your votes we can see that there are 5 new games that you enjoyed, but not enough to level them with old classics.

Last edited by a moderator:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
5 points:
Elminage: Gothic (clear winner for RPG of all time)
wizardry empire 2: the ancient princess

4 points:
elminage: original
wizardry gaiden 4: beat of the demon's heart

3 points:
knights of the chalice

2 points:
stranger of sword city

1 point:
the dark spire
dragon quest 7
Aweigh, bro... PC only. :P

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
25 points seems very little. If I'm going to quote all the games that I consider relevant, I end up not being able to use an appropriate score to differentiate them. And if I put a fair score, I can't quote many games.
Arcanum - 5 points
Torment - 5 points

ELEX
ATOM
ShadowRun Dragonfall
Underrail
Witcher 3

felipepepe i kind of feel that 25 points are not enough for a good sample,maybe something between 30-50.

- You are forced to choose. And that's great. From your votes we can see that there are 5 new games that you enjoyed, but not enough to level them with old classics.
True,but there were less games 5 years ago. 30 points will be my opinion,but what is done is done. Also is a week enough time?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I feel like the results are bound to be skewed by the fact that people read other peoples examples and pick things they would otherwise not remember or consider to be eligible.

Are Star Control 2 and QfG RPGs? I'm not sure, but they were eventually mentioned so I'll definitely pick them now.

So remember to edit your answers if needed people.

Arcanum - 5 points
Torment - 5 points

ELEX
ATOM
ShadowRun Dragonfall
Underrail
Witcher 3

The methodology of our previous poll was skewed. Let's use it for our new poll so we can compare the results!!

Please no. Make a list of 300 games that have a chance and then let us rate each in 1-10 point scale.

V_K

Arcane
Yeah, the lack of negative votes is a serious bummer. I mean at least downvoting could keep Twitcher out of the top 3, where it's headed at this rate, and allow the codex to keep a modicum of respectability.

Deleted member 7219

I like the rules. Were it not for these rules people could make ridiculously long lists to rank every single RPG they ever played. At least this way people can only pick the ones that most matter to them.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Make a list of games that have a chance

This is flawed because it excludes the lots of great games and leaves only those that were played by most people.

I agree. It would likely result in the exclusion of great older games like the Magic Candle and Dark Heart of Uukrul, and I fear the board of people chosen to determine the games that don't make the list. Unless the board consists solely of me, then I'm fine with a board empowered to exclude games.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron

The methodology of our previous poll was skewed. Let's use it for our new poll so we can compare the results!!

Please no. Make a list of 300 games that have a chance and then let us rate each in 1-10 point scale.
Running this system alongside the current one would yield for interesting comparisons I think.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Well then, I cast my votes. I put in Wurm as a oddball pick. If Path of Exile can make the cut I don't see why Wurm can't.

Drowed

Arcane
You are forced to choose. And that's great. From your votes we can see that there are 5 new games that you enjoyed, but not enough to level them with old classics.

Making someone choose is neither great nor bad, it's just an analysis bias. In every survey, the type of question you ask determines the type of result you will get. This is the basis of research methodology.

Placing a reduced number of votes/points/whatever changes the weight and scope of each vote. But the 25 value, regardless of whether it's the same as the previous poll or not, is only arbitrary - it's not a choice that comes from a deliberate analysis or one that was consciously determined on the basis of the number of existing games. I'm not saying with that, and I say that again, that the results of the poll will be good or bad, but that they will only reflect the data according to a very specific bias. There are several scenarios that are not contemplated by this situation.

For example, someone who considers that there are more than 25 incredible games. Taking any of these games off the list would be a random decision, and by not citing these games, the poll will factually be distorting the importance that the games have for those who answered the question and therefore will not correspond with reality. Another example, and this would be my case, the person picks some games that he considers as incredible games, but does not believe that all are in the same category. So he would be forced to either ignore the difference in score to cite all games (distorting the weight of each game) or remove some games from the list (distorting the representativeness of these games). My case is the second, I literally threw dice to pick that games would enter my list.

For example, let's use this same methodology to analyze "the fastest runners of all time". Imagine that each poster here would be the equivalent of a specific race, where only the first 25 runners would be listed as a result. In a given race, the slowest runner listed completed the race in 10 minutes and 6 seconds. (This could be analogous to how much the poster enjoyed some game.) However, the 26th placed runner completed the race in 10 minutes and 7 seconds. Technically, both are almost tied, but one will be on the list and one will not. So we got another race (poster). His top 20 finishers made incredible times, with less than 7 minutes. However, the last 5 places out of the 25 mentioned had times above 12 minutes. These last 5 runners will enter the list of "best runners of all time", but the runner who performed above them will not appear on the list because of the rules of analysis. I bet you can see the problem here.

Again, this is just one of the problems with the methodology used here. Do I mean to say that the results are useless? Not at all, but they will undoubtedly show an incomplete view of reality. It is very possible that games considered universally as good may have a low representation in this list, precisely because of the method chosen. They are games that the consensus would say are definitely among the best, but by the points system used here, may end up not appearing or appearing in positions that do not correspond to the real value that posters would give to it.

But hey, I wouldn't have the patience to do another parallel poll, so a new poll is better than no poll at all.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom