Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Anyone have problems with the mouse in World of Xeen on Dosbox? It is very jittery and laggy. I have tried a few other games from the same era and none of them have the issue. Upping the CPU cycles helps a bit but not too much. I remember playing it before on dosbox and never had this problem, but I did just upgrade to dosbox 74.2 today. Not sure if that could be the issue. I'm on the non-CD version of World of Xeen. But I tried stand alone mm4 and mm5 and they have the exact same issue.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
IIRC I played it with keyboard only, since it's quicker.
Turning off any mouse acceleration may work. Or maybe other input devices like a gamepad or joystick interferes?

Breshard

Novice
Anyone have problems with the mouse in World of Xeen on Dosbox? It is very jittery and laggy. I have tried a few other games from the same era and none of them have the issue. Upping the CPU cycles helps a bit but not too much. I remember playing it before on dosbox and never had this problem, but I did just upgrade to dosbox 74.2 today. Not sure if that could be the issue. I'm on the non-CD version of World of Xeen. But I tried stand alone mm4 and mm5 and they have the exact same issue.
I had to jack my cycles up to 30k to have the mouse be useable in Xeen for me.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Yeah that did the trick. The animations in the game seem a bit too fast but otherwise everything works fine even at that high of a cycle count.

Barbalos

Savant
Yeah that sounds like a cycle problem with Dosbox for sure. I use 25000 for Xeen myself.

Luzur

Good Sir

Yeah Dosbox have some mouse issues with certain games, as other have said experiment with the cycles.

Why would you play WoX with mouse? Not being snarky, just have never played it that way and see no immediate advantages. Keyboard only seems so much faster and intuitive for everything except maybe inventory management.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Butter
This pack is pure incline, still, before launching any of them, search for dosbox config + the game you want to play (for any of them but M&M6, for this one, get greyface patch)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I tried to complete the game in as short time as possible while at the same time playing normally.

The score is kinda sad, though. I've checked my 5 years 1 month lich lvl 200 singleton LP and it was 13k (which isn't even a big one). Not much you can do, though - parts VII and VIII were rushed and so little thought was given to the score play. In VII, your score is naturally destroyed by the need to wait for the ambassador's death, in VIII there's lots of travel and they didn't bother to provide any alternative to the travel accelerators.

I.e., unless you cheese, all those "land travel takes 2 less days" henchmen are vital in the previous parts - they can easily shave 2-3 weeks of travel overall and that's a lot of score. Here, on the other hand, no such luck so all the fedexing really bleeds you out.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
So how come you got such a relatively big score while using so much time?
Do you get a better score if soloing?

Yeah. Score points are awarded for two things - quest completion and experience gained from killing monsters. Together they're counted as fame. Quest completion difference between us is not as significant, though, as it's mostly the main questline that matters. Like, you've probably completed most of it but missed small stuff like becoming master bounty hunter or something.

When it comes to kill xps, solo probably doesn't matter. If it did, then I'd be having a much wider score gap - after all, I've took roughly 3.5 more time to finish the game while having only double the score so we're talking about 7x Fame difference (and score is fame/time). And we also have to account that, in faster scores, questing takes a heavier share in the score, and in slower scores it's much more about killcount.

By being level 200, I've raked least 5x more experience (I could've trained to lvl 250+, I think, so maybe up to 8) and if I was gaining 5x time the fame for being solo that'd be 25x(40x) difference - seems to big to cause only 2x score.

So I think it's more about having learning GM at level 20 which doubled all the kill XPs I was gaining. I probably could've pushed that score even higher if I ramped it up to 30 (or maybe 40, it's not like you need much outside of dark magic 40) and cleansed the earth plane more diligently (it's annoying but rather cost efficient). I also should've rushed the plane between planes access faster and cleansed that one too, I guess.

I could've also used Reanimate exploit, I guess. Once you have learning 30-40, it becomes viable - lure garrote gorge dragon to the temple, kill it, reanimate, instakill with shrapmetal, reanimate, instakill, repeat ad nauseam. In russian old school score play this stuff was banned though, even though it's stupid - that's the sole point of Reanimate spell.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah. Score points are awarded for two things - quest completion and experience gained from killing monsters..

Don't forget time spent.
I got a lower score if I trained up to lvl 80 before completing the game than if I completed at lvl 53.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Might & Magic: Book One
Put a couple hours into this today. At first I was completely lost as I hadn't played the game in months and wished for a quest log, but I found my bearings after some quick exploration and started remembering where I was haha.

It was pretty difficult to get back into the M&M mindset after playing a lot of Wizardry and Bard's Tale games. You can rest pretty much anywhere in M&M to completely restore HP and SP, and it sometimes makes a lot of sense to do so after every encounter. That means the difficulty of the game comes not from managing limited resources, but from getting through individual encounters—not better or worse, just different.

Sometimes the sheer size of this game is bewildering. You really can go almost anywhere at any time, with only the power level of encounters gating you.

My only problem with this one so far is the wild difficulty spikes. You'll often explore areas where the random encounters and most fixed encounters are pushovers, but then you'll hit a certain fixed square and get completely obliterated without much of a chance. This can make it difficult to decide whether a) you are simply not powerful enough and should explore elsewhere or b) you were just unlucky and should try again (and maybe just ignore that square).

My party is all level 7/8, so I think I'm going to need to play a bit more defensively until I get a bit more powerful. I have that one spell that lets you escape battles, but haven't really been using it (because I usually forget I have it). That should hopefully help when I run into a crazy difficult encounter.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
MM 1 is level scaled (but with different lowest and highest level of monsters you can meet, and the upper limit being increased by setting off alarms). The difficulty spikes are probably the fixed encounters, like the Black Knight, Lich and Mummies encounters at dead (literally) ends.
But some monsters will be harder than others, since Special Attacks were apparantly removed from lots of monster in one of the last versions of the game before release, due to the game being too difficult. But I don't think the relative power levels were adjusted accordingly.

Mightmagic

Augur
The problem exist also with 0.74 and 0.73 version. Yo ucan modify the CPU cycle but the problem won't solved.
it's a problem with dosbox and I have never find any solution since 7-8 years.
I expect that the next dosbox 0.75 will solve this problem.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't someone use some virtual machine software (Scumm?) to solve this exact issue? Could've been Tito Anic. Sorry if it wasn't and I'm bothering you for no reason.

Mightmagic

Augur
Didn't someone use some virtual machine software (Scumm?) to solve this exact issue? Could've been Tito Anic. Sorry if it wasn't and I'm bothering you for no reason.
World of xeen can be played with scummvm since nearly 6 months and maybe that It's works but sadly, scummvm only support english version of world of xeen.

With dos virtual machine, it must works very well but I have never tried.

Cursor is a little jaggy but it's playable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom