Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The previous Top 70 list is the best RPG list on the internet.
I agree, that's why I suggest to either extend the list or reduce it so that when we will duckduckgo "RPG Codex top 70 RPGs" the one true list will appear and when we will search for "RPG Codex top 100 RPGs" we will get the current one (or it could be 60 or 80 or 90 or some other number as long as it's different than 70). Extending the list would be preferrable of course becasue some true gems (like Buck Rogers which until 2 hours ago got 1 point only and currently has only 6 points) won't even get on the list.
felipepepe
Yeah, I agree.

To be honest the previous list going to be Top 50, but became a Top 72 because there was a lot of tied games and clear gap between the #72 and #73. And the #50-#72 games are some of the best "niche RPG" out there. We can do the same this time, looking at the data it should be obvious where the cut point between 70 and 100 is.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sampling the results, it looks like there's going to be a number of upsets this time around. Seems definite that Planescape is not going to take the #1 spot this time, that looks to be destined to Baldur's Gate 2.
It doesn't really matter that much,the top 5-10 games are all on the same level of greatness more or less. The first place is more of a people's preference than a quality assurance. All the top 10 games are great and any self respecting member of this forum should have played them at least once :obviously:!

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Will this list be accompanied by a huge article with reviews of each game, like last time?
It'll need a talented writer for certain games, such as baiting newfags into playing Wizardry IV by creatively inserting words like 'romances' and 'C&C' to trigger them into giving it a try.
Come on guys,the list will have 80% of the same games. There is nothing wrong with just copying the existent reviews.

Last edited:

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Arcanum looks to be doing extremely great. Could be an outlier but I compared the usual classics in one of the pages and it was leading by a huge margin.
Deserved :incline:.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Make a list of games that have a chance

This is flawed because it excludes the lots of great games and leaves only those that were played by most people.

I agree. It would likely result in the exclusion of great older games like the Magic Candle and Dark Heart of Uukrul, and I fear the board of people chosen to determine the games that don't make the list. Unless the board consists solely of me, then I'm fine with a board empowered to exclude games.
A pinned thread about great ancient games will be nice. Also a whole RPG library.
This thread used to be pinned. You can't go wrong picking from OP's list, it's not limited to the old games but there are quite a bit. The thread includes a link to a thread including descriptions but it's very incomplete.

Efe

Erudite
i chose what i thought to be best...
then i looked at others posts and felt like i failed to mention a lot of good games.
thus i argue that this 25 point system is shit and felipepe should just read our minds for best answers

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Hmm. You know, at some point I'd like to see a vote like this, but with the 'rate things between 1-5' of the various goty polls. Would take a lot of effort to set it up to make the poll not a clusterfuck though (integrate with every public api known to man to suggest titles you have played? Check which codex threads you have posted in/read?).

But I really like that it allows for things to emerge as unknown gems, controversial, popular yet mediocre etc.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There is a decent amount of decline. Why is the codex tolerating people that don't care about RPG games and still comment/vote about them,is beyond me. If those retards stuck to the general discussions i won't have a problem,but when they go out of their shit corner and begin spreading their casual shit around,should be shot and locked out from such votes!!! There are people retards that actually voted fallout 4 for real!

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Both of the Original Sins are getting beaten by the likes of Witcher 3, Underrail, Age of Decadence, Kingmaker, Kingdom Come and ELEX so far. Codex opinion seems to be cooling on the record-breaking GOTY series :negative:

Lemming42

Arcane
It was a brutal mistake last time to make this a top 70 when there aren't even 70 good cRPGs in existence.

We're doomed to have shit like Mass Effect padding out the list, along with stuff like System Shock and Star Control which are great but not RPGs.

It's fun to see the sort of three-way divide that's emerging, though - people who like pre-mid 90s RPGs, people who mostly favour the late 90s/early 2000s breed of RPGs, and people who lean towards the Kickstarter era stuff. Fallout and PST are going to win again, with Deus Ex and Morrowind close behind, thus forever proving that the middle group is the objective 100% actual best one.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
1486961877913.gif

Let's see Infinitrons's vote

Vlajdermen

Arcane
It was a brutal mistake last time to make this a top 70 when there aren't even 70 good cRPGs in existence.

We're doomed to have shit like Mass Effect padding out the list, along with stuff like System Shock and Star Control which are great but not RPGs.

It's fun to see the sort of three-way divide that's emerging, though - people who like pre-mid 90s RPGs, people who mostly favour the late 90s/early 2000s breed of RPGs, and people who lean towards the Kickstarter era stuff. Fallout and PST are going to win again, with Deus Ex and Morrowind close behind, thus forever proving that the middle group is the objective 100% actual best one.
There's a way to weed out the likes of Mass Effect, and that's to bring the hidden gems into the spotlight. Gorky 17, Evil Islands and the like. Reducing the number of entries on the list would only undermine its purpouse, i.e. recommending good crpgs. While, say, Divinity 2 isn't great, it still deserves to be thrown out there as an option.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
older titles, say.. pre-2010 should either have its own voting, or those titles should be kept as a legacy list. by focusing on titles in the last decade we could better sort the wheat from the chaff in the age of decline, while eliminating nostalgia from being a factor into one's opinion. then perhaps once we have a nu-list and the legacy list, we could elect to spend 25 points on ONLY the titles from either list (no adding our own) to formulate a combined incline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom