Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imagine picking the n64 over the ps1 as a kid LOL

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
To date the PS1 is my favourite console and I return to its library from time to time with emulators.
I played the crap out of it (and just about every other gaming machine at the time) while my N64 got occasionally brought out for the odd session due to lacklustre library. Modern gaming just does not even come close overall.

Exclusives:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Parasite Eve 1
Parasite Eve 2
Syphon Filter
Syphon Filter 2
Tenchu
Tenchu 2
Medievil
Hogs of War
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 3
Spyro The Dragon
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
Duke Nukem: Time to Kill
Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes
Koudelka
Tomba
Silent Bomber
Disruptor
Bloodlines
Blade
G-Darius
Grudge Warriors
Overboard
Kula World
Oddworld

Include a bunch of straightforward racing, wrestling, sports, puzzle and 2D fighting games here (e.g Street Fighter EX, Driver, FIFA).
I don't list them because while I enjoyed such games I don't consider them having the same lasting appeal, unique identity, depth nor entertainment value as the above. Take FiFA for example. Later iterations are obviously better.

PC Ports and Multiplatform:

Vigilante 8
Vigilante 8: Second Offense
Tony Hawks Pro Skater
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
Tomb Raider 1
Tomb Raider 2
Tomb Raider 3
Resident Evil 2
Nightmare Creatures
Final Fantasy 6
Martian Gothic
Exhumed/Powerslave
Quake 2
Duke Nukem 3D
Doom
Final Doom
X-Com
S.C.A.R.S
Crusader: No Remorse
Command and Conquer
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
Worms Armageddon
Worms World Party
Civilisation 2

In most cases the PS1 version was better than the respective N64 version.
In many cases PC ports to this console had worthwhile changes that made them worth checking out even if you had the game on PC.

Doesn't hold up anymore but was fun at the time:

Die Hard Trilogy
Die Hard Trilogy 2
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor: Underground
007: the World is not Enough
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
I don't remember if Carmageddon was any good

And there's STILL a shitload of allegedly good games I have to check out such as Rayman, Akuji the Heartless, Persona and a bunch of other JRPGs (and pray they don't have shit gameplay like Suikoden, Final Fantasy 4, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger and so many other ridiculously overrated "classic" JRPG shitfests).

How anyone can claim the N64 is better than the almighty PS1 is obviously ignorant. And the "muh early 3D era sucks" types are a bunch of tards. Between the incredible 3D games released on the PC in the 90s, the PS1's amazing library many being 3D, and I guess some N64 titles, early 3D games owned it. Then when the tech quickly advanced, it just all became about graphics and realism.

BRO OH NO

PC PORTS ON PS1 WERW SUPER SHIT WITH HUGE FUCKING LOADING TIMEA

AND MANY NO GAMEPLAY MOSTLY CUTSCENE GAMES LIKE MGS AND FFVII BROS THOSE WERE SHIT THEN AND NOW

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Whenever someone includes Crash Bandicoot and the Duke Nukem spin offs among their PS1 favorites, you know there's either nostalgia googles or fanboyism at work there.

The games that made buy a PS1 back in the day were Winning Eleven, GTA and Driver.

Viata

Arcane
Pretty sure many people give no shit about GTA compared to Driver 2. My mother used to have a video game store when I was a kid and I can't remember a single person that wanted to play GTA there. Now, Driver 2 and Winning Eleven was pretty much what most people played, those and Medal of Honor 1/2.

Ash

Arcane
It's funny because here I am saying I'd take the N64 over the PSX, but looking at that list, I'm thinking I played way more PSX game than you despite not even owning one.

That isn't "my list of PS1 games I played". It's a list of PS1 games that I recommend or personally enjoy to date. I played way more than that, but I'm not gonna list what I consider to be shit such as something like Bubsy 3D.

N64 is for the most part dogshit. Don't kid yourself, nintoddler.

Pretty sure many people give no shit about GTA compared to Driver 2.

Ah, GTA. Forgot that one. The game is merely ok, but the soundtrack is an old favourite.

Silentstorm

Learned
I do like the PS1 more than the N64, i mean, the Mario games are fine, i find the Zelda games a bit overrated, and i don't much care for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, but it had some other good stuff like Blast Corps.

The PS1 though, while not all their games were great, it had more variety, more good games and it was just awesome, i mean, it had:

Ridge Racer
Brave Fencer Musashi
Final Fantasy Tactics
Breath Of Fire III
Castlevania:Symphony Of The Night
Crash Bandicoot
Dino Crisis
Einhander
Driver
Gran Turismo
Grandia
Klonoa
Medievil
Metal Gear Solid
Oddworld
Omega Boost
Parasite Eve
Parappa The Rapper
Spyro
Suikoden
Tenchu
Tales Of Destiny
Tomba
Tomb Raider
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Wild Arms
Harmful Park

And a few others, sure, not all of them have aged well, many are now available on other platforms or were on the N64 as well much like Resident Evil 2, but i don't think it became more popular than the N64 just because it was easier to pirate.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
wQ80tlS.jpg

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The Japanese Saturn game library beats both the PS1 and N64. Radiant Silvergun, Elevator Action Returns, Devil Summoner... the list goes on and on.

Deleted Member 16721

PS1 was life-changing for me. I was an SNES kid who also had a Genesis I barely played. The SNES was the shit for me. But the PS1, holy cow. I remember my dad getting a huge box of games for me from a yard sale, Suikoden, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, FF7, tons of gems that just blew my mind as a tween. PS1 was amazeballs, I still remember trying to hook it up and hearing the audio of it but couldn't see the picture until we figured it out, all on Christmas day. Fucking wow, great memories. I later got an N64 when I was about 16 and enjoyed some games on it, but the SNES/PS1 was my childhood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom