Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPG Codex's Best RPGs - the DOWNVOTING thread. Voting closed, but shitposting must go on!

TheGameSquid

Scholar
-5 Points
Mass Effect 2: ME2 took the series from popamole RPG to just plain popamole

-3 Points
Might and Magic: World of Xeen: Solely because I think Isles of Terra is the better game and should be ranked higher, still great stuff otherwise

- 1 Point
Neverwinter Nights (1): People like it for the toolset and multiplayer, but as a single player cRPG it probably should be at the bottom of the list
Prey: Think I'm one of the few people that actually really enjoyed this, but in what sick world is this an RPG?

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Witcher 3 gameplay is trash, but all of you saying writing sucks are just artificially padding your little nerd rage list. Insta credibility loss.

Latro

Arcane
5 points:
planetescape tournament: haha are you really gonna play this game on anything above easy or without maxing wisdom? good story but a terrible shit game
arcanum: garbage you play when you're desperate for isometric rpg after fallout 1 & 2. deadly dull game.
wiz8: sir-techs last fart
morrowind: walking simulator, i spent more time installing mods than actually playing this garbage
nu-shadowrun games are boring garbage and badly written

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Latrine don't go airing your shit like that, this is serious voting mkay.

Only 10pts of butthurt are allowed so you've got to weigh and sort that shit. Can't have a shit flinging thread without injecting some autism in the process.

Elu

Novice
The echoes of this thread reach even the very depths of the Lurk.

-5 points:

Witcher 3 (as a final failing grade for all three entries; their fanboys cry about Sapkowski's mocking of gamers and yet all the CD projekt managed to produce ammounts to bad fanfic/theme park in terms of both writing and worldbuilding; gameplay is not worth mentioning)

-2 points:
Arcanum (it's more of a game concept app than an actual game; here hoping AoD will not reveal itself to be the same when I try it)
Icewind Dale (no, pastering the same type of monster over the whole map is not a 'challenging combat' design, it's a 'monotonous trudge' design; and that's not mentioning various bizarre bugs; both BG1 and 2 have better combat; looking at NWN2 and PoE, knowing that Sawyer was a mind behind all three, similarities in failed design are obviously not a coincidence)

-1 point:
Morrowind (mhm, yeah, no DraQ , just because you can 'look at this mountain and choose to walk there' doesn't make its exploration better than BG1. Neither of them has particularily meaningful exploration anyway. You want exploration, play RoA:ST or maybe even Pathfinder:Kingmaker; in addition, inconsistent scripting, mindless combat and a conflicted design of a dialogue system)

Trashos

Arcane
-2 points:
Arcanum (it's more of a game concept app than an actual game; here hoping AoD will not reveal itself to be the same when I try it)

I had the same fear about AoD, but it isn't.

(Arcanum is one of my favorite RPGs, but I still know what you mean. Often better on ideas than in their execution.)

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Might as well hop aboard the butthurt train.

-5 points
Dragon Age Origins
Wizardry 7

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Might as well hop aboard the butthurt train.

B4xDnkqIUAAmx3z.jpg

Humanophage

Arcane
First draft (disregard):
Can't really contribute meaningfully because I try not to play obviously bad games like Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Mass Effects, etc. and procrastinate properly playing games that I probably wouldn't like Dark Souls or many Blobbers.

2 points
Oblivion - boring wiki with an infuriatingly inane level-scaling system.
Mass Effect - largely the source of Bioware's decline. Very painful to see this after BG1, BG2, NWN, or even KOTOR (not so much Jade Empire).

1 point
Morrowind
Legend of Grimrock - a positive influence, I suppose, but mostly a tedious puzzle game with an unnecessary real-time element.
Fallout 3 - haven't played it but I dislike it for not being an appropriate Fallout 3, even though I'm not a huge Fallout fan.
Final Fantasy VII - seems like the first evil console intrusion, if memory serves.
Konung - was it really so hard to make a decent game when you had the graphics? Set the tone for trashy Russian RPGs when it could be good.
Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Shooting down decent games:
3 points
Morrowind - a boring wiki with a pointless walking simulator in a world that is original, but poorly organised and generally lacking unique features. It's about exploration, but the exploration is bland (unlike Gothic).

2 points
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - underwhelming mobile game combat and character progression. Can't help Humanis Policlub - so much for choice. Solid, but overhyped.
Icewind Dale - not top-20 material. I generally like it, but it has no exploration, no real plot or dialogues, no lore, and the combat is about the same as BG1-2. Very pretty though.

1 point
Legend of Grimrock - essentially a puzzle game with needless real-time combat.
Betrayal at Krondor - aged poorly, unlike many contemporaries.
The Witcher 1 - haven't played 2 and 3, but 1 was too much of a cutscene game. It's decent, but very convoluted.

Haven't played Dark Souls, can't comment. Might turn out to be too action-oriented.

Last edited:

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
5 points:
Witcher 3
Dark Souls

These are not bad games, but it's not true RPG and do not deserve being so high in our top list.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Witcher 3

Planetescape Torment
Dark Souls
Morrowind
System Shock 2 (okay game, but far overrated)
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (very bad game, but far overrated)
Pathfinder Kingmaker (recency bias, rated above it's worth in silver)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom