Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG praised by the Codex that you're reluctant to try?

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Darklands

Because my mind isn't ready.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
a classic game for ancient people, drowned in unfun mechanics and subpar presentation

giphy.gif

TheGameSquid

Scholar
The Gold Box Games:
I've actually played a few of these (mostly Pool of Radiance and Champions of Krynn), but admittedly I can only handle these when using the Gold Box Companion alongside it. Without it, I find it very hard to play. If I had a better grasp of the game's internals or if there was more public documentation out there, I'd love to build an open-source reimplementation of these games, with an improved interface. Pools especially is a lot of fun, but awkward controls and a lack of information at your fingertips can be quite the barrier to entry IMO.

Eye of the Beholder:
I love blobbers, but can we just drop this realtime shit?

Wizardry I-IV:
Not and oldfag (yet)

Grimoire:
Definitely Chinese malware (ok I will actually play this at some point and it's sitting in my library, but even imagining the eldritch 1990s code that's holding this thing together might just give me a heart attack)

Betrayal at Krondor:
Something about exploring those gridless blobby outdoor areas always put me off immensely. Shame because the other parts actually seem right up my alley (though admittedly I actually don't think Feist is a very good author).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Everything about them just makes it feel like they have worse interfaces, controls and when i hear real time combat revolving around dice rolls i just shudder, i hate the idea of swinging at an enemy and missing when the enemy doesn't even try to dodge, just for that alone i have trouble starting Morrowind.

It's all about perception. Because of how the visuals are presented you think it should play like an action game, but it's stat-driven like Baldur's Gate or whatever. Once you get used to playing a game like that in Morrowind's perspective it's just fine. Unless you don't like stat-driven games, but then I'd wonder WTF you were doing here.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
I also couldn’t get behind Underrail. It seems too heavily combat/stealth oriented to me. Is a diplomatic playthrough even possible?

Go for the psi stuff, and max persuasion and/or intimidation and merchantile, and the game changes quite a bit.

You might also need to invest heavily in perception too.

Thank you, I might just give it another try!

Reina

Arcane
Wizardry 8. Bought it back in 2002, my first pocket money. 12 y.o. potato girl, could barely understand basic English. Was enthralled by demo (that character creation!)

Reached first city, something was wrong, party was severely underpowered.

Read the walkthrough. Apparently, I skipped 50% of content. Gave up.

Tried to replay it ten years later, but it was still no good. Apparently, back then, I developed lasting hatred for RPG/Adventure abominations.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Was enthralled by demo

Hah, I loved the demo as well (only I explored every every nook and cranny of the Monastery of course!).
That's all I had to go on for a long time, since I never found a place where they actually sold the game... :argh:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
As for games I'm wary about because they're recommended by the Codex, I'd put Underrail at the very top. It seems catered to and custom-made for the Fallout 1/2 fanboys/autistics who played that series over & over & over & over again, and showed borderline clinical insanity by using mods that restored cut content in FO2.

Your describing ATOM RPG...

Underrail is a quality game in its own right, and sucks for you if you miss out on playing it. There is a world of difference between 'inspired by' and 'slavishly copying'.

Okay, you've convinced me. I officially change my top candidate to Atom RPG for the RPG I Would Most Likely Avoid Because It's Recommended By The Codex. TBH, I do kinda want to play Underrail.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Oh I've always been reluctant to try the Gold Box games too up until today actually. Just started Pool of Radiance and I must say that my period of adaption is probably not going to be pretty but I am a D&D type of a guy and I really like the combat system so I will persevere. I will surely like the game at the end but later D&D titles like Dark Sun do things so much better.

Gold Box and especially POR was impressive in that no RPG had a right to have such long individual combat encounters (sometimes 1+ hours) and still manage to be such good, compelling games.

Reina

Arcane
I actually don't think Feist is a very good author.

It's just that fantasy as a genre progressed so much those two-three decades, his works really feel kind of... obsolete? That being said, Empire trilogy is still a top-notch series, and doesn't require prior knowledge of Feist's other books.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fallout: New Vegas. Haven't touched it. I'm too butthurt about Fallout 3 still to this day.

Too bad they wiped the old Fallout 3 Bethesda forums, that was the glory days of my Internet activity, writing about how F3 was going to be Banal, Shit, Boring just like Oblivion.

Silentstorm

Learned
Everything about them just makes it feel like they have worse interfaces, controls and when i hear real time combat revolving around dice rolls i just shudder, i hate the idea of swinging at an enemy and missing when the enemy doesn't even try to dodge, just for that alone i have trouble starting Morrowind.

It's all about perception. Because of how the visuals are presented you think it should play like an action game, but it's stat-driven like Baldur's Gate or whatever. Once you get used to playing a game like that in Morrowind's perspective it's just fine. Unless you don't like stat-driven games, but then I'd wonder WTF you were doing here.
A bit of not liking real time combat that is stat-driven AND first person, seeing my weapon being swung at an enemy that is standing still and missing feels weird to me, but then again, i am playing Vaporum and have seen my character miss those cannons that just sit still somehow and i am still playing it.

So i guess that part of the reason for not playing Morrowing, Daggerfall and Arena may be just my inner hipster coming forth, that, and not being all that into Oblivion and Skyrim despite all the hype those games got.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Betrayal at Krondor:
Something about exploring those gridless blobby outdoor areas always put me off immensely. Shame because the other parts actually seem right up my alley (though admittedly I actually don't think Feist is a very good author).

:nocountryforshitposters:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Anything before Fallout sounds right for me. I'm not keen of the age of hotkeys and no mouse input.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom