Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL best modern isometric CRPG(Divinity,Pillars,Kingmaker...)

Best modern iso CRPG ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
I thinking about picking up one of these modern isometric CRPGs,which one is the best overall ?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Age of Decadence
Good, but hard combat. Lots of C&C.

Divinity: Original Sin
Much better than I expected, original combat, good world building

Pillars of Eternity
Deadfire is awesome, while the first one is in the almost good category with White March expansion

Tyranny
Also much better than I expected, once you get past the first act

Torment: Tides of Numenera
Has some weaknesses, but also some great ideas - will probably replay at some point

Wasteland 2
Contrary to others, I thoroughly enjoyed it till the end

Pathfinder, Shadowrun and Underrail I couldn't get into so far.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
People like Pathfinder: Kingmaker? I thought it was shit when it released. Has it improved?
I personally think so. It still has bugs, which was my biggest issue with the game, but not many more than most of the classic crpgs.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
People like Pathfinder: Kingmaker? I thought it was shit when it released. Has it improved?
I personally think so. It still has bugs, which was my biggest issue with the game, but not many more than most of the classic crpgs.

Cool. I fell for the meme and bought it on release day. Serves me right. But, if it's improved I'll retry it.

Last edited:

alyvain

Learned
All of them are trash. Ironically the last good modern RPGs are the non-isometric ones like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect 1-2 and Witcher 1

I find it interesting that you named only the first Witcher but I probably don't want to know your take on the latter ones

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
All of them are trash. Ironically the last good modern RPGs are the non-isometric ones like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect 1-2 and Witcher 1

I find it interesting that you named only the first Witcher but I probably don't want to know your take on the latter ones

I'll tell you anyway, they are streamlined consolized heaps of trash designed for the low IQ masses that don't know what 'RPG' stands for.

alyvain

Learned

I'll tell you anyway, they are streamlined consolized heaps of trash designed for the low IQ masses that don't know what 'RPG' stands for.

Unlike Mass Effect 2, wow

Void_Pickle

Educated
Of those that I've played so far, AoD and Underrail are head and shoulders above the rest. Excellent combat in both, in particular. Underrail does overstay it's welcome a bit unfortunately.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall is quite good, but probably the only one of the 'trilogy' worth playing. Meatier than returns, and the most interesting missions/scenarios, hub, and story of the three. Honk Kong had a few more options from a progression standpoint, but it ended up being pretty painful to play due to the companions, largely.

Expeditions: Conquistador was pretty decent too, but it didn't feel like there was all that much to it.

Wasteland 2 and POE 1 were both quite disappointing.

Blackguards 1 is probably the bottom of the pile for me, not entirely sure why I actually finished it.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Says the Bethesda connaisseur.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You forgot the obvious choices :
- Knights of the Chalice
- ToEE

But i enjoyed DOS 1, Wasteland 2, Expedition series and Blackguards 1 (even Blackguard 2, somewhat, if one can stand the intro and tutorial )

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard

Unlike Mass Effect 2, wow

The decline between ME1 and ME2 is nowhere near W1 and W2. In the end ME2 is still a very decent RPG despite the streamlining.

Humanophage

Arcane
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is quite remarkable. I'd say it is a true heir to Baldur's Gate 1. Baldur's Gate 2 has no real exploration except the initial (great) urban hub and a bit of Underdark, so it is closer to P:T or IWD in terms of structure. NWN with its add-ons was also too streamlined. Because BG1 was more free-form, you could often visit areas intended for stronger parties, contributing to the impression that you are not being spoon-fed. It's the same in P:K. Yet there are also some constraints, so it's not exactly Fallout/Arcanum.

P:K adds the excellent character progression from NWN to BG1, which had a somewhat bare-bones system if you think about it. There are also many social skill checks, which are another welcome addition to the BG1 formula. It has a good chunk of low-level but diverse adventures, whereas most other games of this type try too hard to be epic. It even has the same flaws as BG1, which is that some off-the-grid areas are a little bland (e.g., the southern coastal part or the east in BG1). It's tougher than BG1, and is pleasantly challenging if you go above normal. Like BG1, it also has the mindset of being somewhat true to P&P without taking too many liberties, which is less of a case in later IE games. Finally, I like the idea that you have two sets of companions - your traditional party and some additional ministers who also contribute to the plot.

In a word, I was quite impressed, and I generally don't engage in fanboyism. I wisely postponed playing it because I know that new games have too many bugs. It seems to be all right by now. If I were you, I'd probably wait some more for them to further polish the game and improve the interface.

Overall, among the ones I played enough to assess, I'd offer the following hierarchy:
=1. Underrail - see the subforum for the paeans. Highly atmospheric with mysterious exploration, great combat, interesting character building, no hand-holding.
=1. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
3. Age of Decadence - perhaps a little too experimental for its own good. Impressive intrigue and varied alliances, so you can actually come up with a convoluted backstabbing scheme which the game would accommodate. The stat checks are a bit too high and arbitrary (e.g., 4 Str, 3 Con, 9 Int, 10 Cha will work, while 3 Str, 4 Con, 10 Int, 9 Cha won't.) It still deserves respect for being so bold.
4. Battle Brothers - has some glaring flaws that won't ever get fixed, but addictive. Definitely worth a run.
5. PoE2: Deadfire - haven't played this one enough yet, but the overall impression is positive so far. Loading takes forever though, you'd have to install it on SSD. The game is a feast for the eye, too. [postponed]
6. Shadowrun: Dragonfall - interesting plot, but mediocre mobile tactics-style combat with poor character progression. [postponed]
7. Expeditions: Viking - a similar situation to S: D. Poor character progression, but good plot and setting. Maybe I'll like it better when I return to it. [postponed]

I wouldn't call any of those seven bad or even mediocre. I have tried some of the others, but decided to postpone them early on. The only one I wouldn't play is Numenera, which I heard was not great at all. I agree that you should add ATOM to the list. I certainly plan to try it at some point.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
jezus fucking christ

age of decadence is a cyoa visual novel
Trollface.png

Void_Pickle

Educated
I don't understand this 'criticism' really. I quite enjoyed the CYOA bits of the game. I'm also glad that it was only bits of the game, and not all of it. I suppose if you're going for a non-combat play through.. but I consider that option to only be a positive.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They are all shit except Blackguards which was ok. Also DoS was ok, DoS2 was bad. Pathfinder is a great modern version of old D&D type games, but it is just so fucking boring. Not enough bosses and too much gimmicky shit. Sad list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom