Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Golden week Steam sale suggestion

OldNorseSaga

Learned
Looking for good game suggestion. Since I'm hetero woman I don't like overly sexualized games such as anime visual novels, although I can enjoy graphical description of pretty women, but games like Neptunia does nothing for me.

So far in golden week I bought Okami HD & La Mulana 2.

I enjoyed Tales of Berseria & Dragon Dogma of previously acquired japanise games.

What I'm looking for is real game (not "story" games) that you can enjoy playing for its gameplay & it's part of Golden week Steam Sale.

Budget 20$, not much but I believe you guys will find something for me.

Silentstorm

Learned
Do you mind shumps or arcade games?

If not, then i recommend Heiankyo Alien, a simple Pac-Man looking game that is hella addictive and fun, and got so popular with japanese players it ended up becoming an actual arcade cabinet...several ones with different versions in fact, though, of course, people in the west generally ignored the game and many probably don't know it exists and is on Steam, but hey, it's a game good enough that Japan loved it so much the developer could make arcade cabinets for it.

The Dark Souls games seem to be selling for less than 20 bucks, same goes for Dragon Ball FighterZ(but that one has a lot of DLC characters).

30 Half-Minute Hero is going for very cheap and it's a fun little game, it's basically RPG Wario Ware in a way and it's quirky and fun in a good way.

Ikaruga, Dodonpachi, R-Type Dimensions EX, Crimzon Clover, Raiden IV, Mushihimesama, Astebreed, ESCHATOS and other shumps are going for less than 20 as well.

Oh, and going back to simple arcadey games, SPACE MOUSE and Alien Field are pretty cool, the developer also made Cosmic Cavern, which is a remake of an old japanese computer game that predated Dig Dug but i couldn't get into it.

Gearmos

Educated
The top pics for me:
RPG games: Dark Souls Remaster or The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.
Action games: Bayonetta or Vanquish.
Visual Novels: Steins;Gate and Zero Escape: The Nonary Games. (The first one would be a "story game", but it's worth it.)
Local or online co-op game: Resident Evil 6.

OldNorseSaga

Learned
The top pics for me:
RPG games: Dark Souls Remaster or The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.
Action games: Bayonetta or Vanquish.
Visual Novels: Steins;Gate and Zero Escape: The Nonary Games. (The first one would be a "story game", but it's worth it.)
Local or online co-op game: Resident Evil 6.

Thank you & to silentstorm. I was thinking getting Bayonetta or Mary Skelter.

& thank to two guys who posted real suggestions Gunnar & Reinhart

Silentstorm

Learned
How could i forget, the YS series is pretty good, it is a series of action RPG's with awesome rock soundtracks and well worth checking out, Xanadu Next is also a good hack n'slash RPG with some Zelda elements though there are a few bugs you should pay attention to.

Dropsy...is on sale for some reason though it may not be part of the Golden Week sale which makes more sense as it's an adventure game inspired by the LucasArts classics, only it does it's own thing and thus manages to have it's own unique charm and cast of likeable and memorable characters alongside a cool soundtrack.

One Way Heroics is pretty damn good, an excellent roguelike that has a twist, you can't go back, the world is ending and you must find a way to stop it and if you take too long you are devoured by endless darkness, still, it has more of a story than you would expect and it's genuinely fun and addictive, in fact, it's so good that the DEVELOPERS OF DANGANRONPA bought the IP because they loved this game so much they wanted to do their own version of it, which even has Danganronpa characters as secret playable characters...sadly, the game made by the much bigger developer with a bigger team and budget is somehow inferior to the original in every way except graphics.

So, just stick to the regular One Way Heroics and ignore the version that has Mokonuma and Makoto from Danganronpa as playable characters.

Ysaye

Arbiter
If it's about fun gameplay, Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ mentioned above. I think particularly if you liked Dragon's Dogma (I liked that game for the gameplay) Tokyo Xanadu has action rpg gameplay in a modern japanese setting that just feels "satisfying" IMO and I find it better than Ys 8 in terms of the gameplay (although made by the same developer).

Which brings us to Ys series - what about Ys Origin, Ys: Oath in Felghana or Ys: Ark of Napishtim? Those are fun gameplay wise and challenging (particularly in Felghana). And awesome background music!

If it is strict dungeon crawler gameplay yes you can't go past Elminage Gothic but that's only if you are looking for that sort of game.

OldNorseSaga

Learned
Thank you guys, but nothign sparked my interested, so I implusively bought Fell Seal Arbiters Mark because it was cheaper on Humble Store and regretted it the moment I booted it up.

Morkar Left

A woman who tells she's a hetero woman on an internet forum without reason... 'k

What I'm looking for is real game (not "story" games) that you can enjoy playing for its gameplay & it's part of Golden week Steam Sale.

In the first sentence of the description of Fell Seal Arbiters Mark:

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is a turn-based tactical RPG with a focus on storytelling and strategic battles.

:happytrollboy:

OldNorseSaga

Learned
A woman who tells she's a hetero woman on an internet forum without reason... 'k

In the first sentence of the description of Fell Seal Arbiters Mark:

:happytrollboy:

My all time favorite game is Ghost of a Tale - adventure game with actual gameplay. Story doesn't exlude gameplay.

Silentstorm

Learned
Thank you guys, but nothign sparked my interested, so I implusively bought Fell Seal Arbiters Mark because it was cheaper on Humble Store and regretted it the moment I booted it up.
Is the game bad, i have it on my Steam Wishlist but haven't bought the game so i am curious as to why you regretted booting it up.

Please tell me it isn't another Pathway, where the game is too easy and simple to be fun.

Silentstorm

Learned
I can say that the first two are pretty good, Silver Case though is something i still have to buy.

As for what i bought on Steam:

R-Type Dimensions Ex- Hey, i like shumps of all kinds and this has the first two R-Type games, either in their glorious 2D classic form or in remake versions so why the hell not?

Dragon Quest XI- Because, hey, an actual Dragon Quest game that isn't a Dynasty Warriors clone on PC, still have to put some mods because i am not going to be playing with the MIDI soundtrack.

Labyrith Of Refrain: Coven Of Dusk- Dungeon Crawler from the guys behind Disgaea with apparently a darker and better story than one would expect, but they sold me on the premise of this being from the guys behind Disgaea.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can say that the first two are pretty good, Silver Case though is something i still have to buy.

As for what i bought on Steam:

Silver Case is great, though the 25th Ward is actually the sequel to The Silver Case (actually the 2nd sequel, after Flower, Sun, Rain, but it's more of a direct sequel whereas FSR is an indirect one)

Silentstorm

Learned
Uh, is it just me or is DQ XI just not that interesting, sure, it's just the start, but even considering that i can't help but feel like something is missing, also, why is that girl scottish!?

The first few fights also make it seem like it's kinda more Tales-Ish than i was expecting, in that the main character moves around, though it still seems to be turn-based with no way of seeing whose turn it will be and...i can't help but feel like the older DQ's had it right.

I dunno, something about this game feels off, but i will probably try it some more, i also swear there were some frame drops and stutters here and there, but other people don't seem to be suffering the same issues, and i didn't even get to the towns which seem to be even worse, God, i guess i will have to try lowering the settings a bit more but it's one of those games were decreasing the settings is really damn noticeable and the game easily gets uglier.

Damn, i don't know what it is, but DQ XI is really just bugging me off at the moment, at this point i am even considering refunding it and getting something cheaper like Silver Case instead.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh, is it just me or is DQ XI just not that interesting, sure, it's just the start, but even considering that i can't help but feel like something is missing, also, why is that girl scottish!?

The first few fights also make it seem like it's kinda more Tales-Ish than i was expecting, in that the main character moves around, though it still seems to be turn-based with no way of seeing whose turn it will be and...i can't help but feel like the older DQ's had it right.

I dunno, something about this game feels off, but i will probably try it some more, i also swear there were some frame drops and stutters here and there, but other people don't seem to be suffering the same issues, and i didn't even get to the towns which seem to be even worse, God, i guess i will have to try lowering the settings a bit more but it's one of those games were decreasing the settings is really damn noticeable and the game easily gets uglier.

Damn, i don't know what it is, but DQ XI is really just bugging me off at the moment, at this point i am even considering refunding it and getting something cheaper like Silver Case instead.

1. it's the beginning of the game
2. why is that girl scottish? because they have literally added accents to dragon quest localization for the last 15+ years
3. the running around in battles is useless and is for braindead adhd consolefags (remember this was a ps4 game first) you can turn it off and they will line up like always, either way it's the traditional DQ turn-based system

you should buy silver case though

Silentstorm

Learned
Nah, the main reason was just that the game was having frame drops and stutters because i apparently have a really damn potato PC, which got annoying, so i refunded to buy something a little less resource intensive, probably Silver Case.

Honestly, i should really really get to updating my PC already, i haven't even played some games like Witcher 3 because i fear they wouldn't run well, just thought DQ XI would run better for some reason.

Silentstorm

Learned
On the other hand, Labyrinth Of Refrain runs pretty well, but i would be worried if it didn't, i can already sense alternate reality or time travel shenanigans in the story pretty damn early, also, wow, you play as a puppeteer, in that your party of members that go around the dungeon are literally wooden puppets brought to life and put equipment on, and maybe it's just me, but should a wooden puppet really be using fire attacks!?

Meh, who cares about reality and such things, just find it kinda cool that the party is made out of puppets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom