Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Yosharian

Arcane
To get back to the actual game for a moment; does it strike anyone else that Bounties, and to a lesser extent many other activities in Deadfire, are just meaningless, empty gameplay where nothing really interesting happens?

• A dude gives me a person to kill
  • I either waltz around on the seas for 10 mins looking for that person (there's rarely any actual indication of where they might be other than the name of the place, no 'try looking in the northeast of the map' for example) or I find the location on a wiki/guide
  • I kill the target, or kill them later once I'm stronger
  • I get some good loot, or alternatively something shit that gets instantly vendored
  • I go back to the dude for money and XP
I'm doing this sequence of bounties to get this particular item I need and I'm just struck by how empty and meaningless it is. I'm only doing it to get an item to make the rest of the game easier. There's no actual 'quest' here. There's nothing about the target that's interesting aside from that; no role-playing involved, certainly.

So what is the actual fucking point of these bounties? They seem like a terrible waste of time, both development time and player time.

Ulfhednar

Savant
does it strike anyone else that Bounties, and to a lesser extent many other activities in Deadfire, are just meaningless, empty gameplay where nothing really interesting happens?
My personal pet peeve is the increase in CYOA/text events in the second game relative to the first.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Bounties are optional combat encounters and some of the best fights in 1 were bounties. You get a cool fight and cool items, all in one very optional package. What's not to like?

Yosharian

Arcane
Bounties are optional combat encounters and some of the best fights in 1 were bounties. You get a cool fight and cool items, all in one very optional package. What's not to like?
Ah, but you see these combat encounters are not 'cool', not in the least.

The boss encounters in the game, such as Dorudugan, are. Some massive fuckoff robot cunt jumps out of nowhere and stands there waiting for you like, wassup bitch? That's cool.

Bounties are not cool. They are boring as fuck. I know, cos I just did like 3 of them in a row to get Fleshmender. There was nothing interesting or unique about any of them.

Yosharian

Arcane
I know! A RPG with busywork quests, can you imagine that?
Just because something is commonplace, doesn't mean it should be accepted.

And frankly, I don't remember any such content in older games that I could mention, that Deadfire (or at least, Pillars of Eternity) claims to be the 'spiritual successor' of.

Prime Junta

And frankly, I don't remember any such content in older games that I could mention, that Deadfire (or at least, Pillars of Eternity) claims to be the 'spiritual successor' of.

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Vai's_Bounty_Upon_Bandits
https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Office_of_Vermin_and_Disease_Control

BG2 didn't have any bounty quests.

Lots of people like these and they're easily ignorable so I honestly don't see the problem. These are nice little distractions, not mindless grind like e.g. the treasure hunts in Witcher 3 or the garbage in DA:I or others.

There's a lot wrong with DF but this kind of thing is so minor it shouldn't even register.

Yosharian

Arcane

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Vai's_Bounty_Upon_Bandits
https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Office_of_Vermin_and_Disease_Control

BG2 didn't have any bounty quests.

Lots of people like these and they're easily ignorable so I honestly don't see the problem. These are nice little distractions, not mindless grind like e.g. the treasure hunts in Witcher 3 or the garbage in DA:I or others.

There's a lot wrong with DF but this kind of thing is so minor it shouldn't even register.
I don't consider Baldur's Gate 1 to be a particularly good game, so pointing out problems with it is lost on me.

The Torment quest seems like a very minor thing you can do while just out and about generally adventuring. Only bears the vaguest similarity to Deadfire's bounties.

I agree that they are distractions, I never said they weren't. But they are definitely mindless.

Parabalus

Arcane
The bounties are a symptom of the handholding in newer games.

JES didn't want his base players to potentially stumble during the main quest, so bounties were born. They are extremely explicitly optional.

A decade ago or so they'd all be integrated into the main narrative, which is a shame since the encounters and items are great.

Yosharian

Arcane

JES didn't want his base players to potentially stumble during the main quest, so bounties were born. They are extremely explicitly optional.

A decade ago or so they'd all be integrated into the main narrative, which is a shame since the encounters and items are great.
Right. I agree with this.

However, if they were integrated into the main narrative, surely they would have more things to say. Even a simple conversation along the lines of 'so, you've come to take my head, have you?' or 'you'll never take me alive', etc, would go a long way towards making these encounters feel more 'alive'.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure some bounty targets in DF have dialogue, only the ship ones don't afaik.

This is extremely pointless, as it is the struggle that creates meaning in games. If you breeze through the content, there is no satisfaction and you don't register it. Whatever they wanted to do to streamline the game obviously failed, though, seeing how PoE didn't retain fans.

Efe

Erudite
most (all?) bounty targets dont have dialogue.
you roll through map killing random people that are hostile to you for no reason and then find out theres a bounty on them and collect it.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
In dumpsterfire they tried to make bounties seem more like part of the world and more involved by spreading them around by different people and giving them background and such. It is not completely outside of the game as optional arena challenge as it is in PoE1.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In dumpsterfire they tried to make bounties seem more like part of the world and more involved by spreading them around by different people and giving them background and such. It is not completely outside of the game as optional arena challenge as it is in PoE1.
"Tried" is the operative word. If only writing in Deadfire wasn't managed like running a sausage factory. As it is, Witcher 3's notice boards have tons more character and integration into the world than the fully voiced bounty givers, most of them mandatory "strong women" in Deadfire. :(

Prime Junta

maybe if they fix penetration

giphy.gif

...and either learn the mechanics, or play something else.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
I mean ... I did learn them, and it made me want to stop playing because its anti fun design

like I'm not complaining because I cant beat an encounter or whatever, I just find it an obnoxious mechanic

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom