Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Funposter

Arcane
Also, a note regarding tree replacers: newer mods such as Remiros' Ascadian Isles Trees are quite good, but you should avoid Vurt's trees if you are playing with Tamriel Rebuilt. While his Bitter Coast trees seem to mostly work, they feature some pretty ugly meshes (third from the left on the bottom is infamous) and you're better off just using a retexture for the vanilla trees such as Bitter Coast Redux, which does also offer a retexture for Vurt's trees if you're a fan. His Grazeland trees, in the case of TR, should be 100% avoided. Even with the vanilla-friendly edition which removes the infamous FAT TREES, the meshes often do not line up correctly with the length of vanilla trees. This means that, while the vanilla landmass looks fine, TR will often feature floating trees etc. as the devs have opted to use the entire length of a vanilla tree mesh, rather than leaving part of it lying underground as per vanilla.

The Morrowind Graphics Guide is actually a very good resource, with most of what's on offer being high quality and an objective improvement over vanilla. What isn't often sticks out immediately (usually mods made by Russians included for the sake of retexturing literally everything), and a judicious and discerning reader will be able to sort the wheat from the chaff. Avoid shaders if you like the vanilla look, install mods and retextures one by one to make sure they don't suck, and use Mod Organizer to make the sorting process relatively painless.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'd take the original textures (with tons of AF, AA and supersampling) over all those. Just give me the view distance extender and I'm good. I'm not always against texture mods (Deus Ex's "new vision" is excellent) but Morrowind's always look like ass for some reason.

Codex Year of the Donut
This image is the perfect example for what passes as "high-res texture improvement" in the modding community. I often ask myself whether people have some kind of eye damage.

I take the original textures over anything like that every day.

Edit: I think Konjad illustrated this nicely elsewhere:

axTj5wxna-e3p1Ko38Mb4nRibXGCMX6SBStqvCRHtEQ.png
retards install bad mods then claim all mods are bad

Turjan

Arcane
retards install bad mods then claim all mods are bad
That's a completely different issue. I certainly tend to mod my games extensively after I know the vanilla game well enough or when I am annoyed by a specific feature (like a bad UI), which means I'm certainly not in that camp. But yes, there will always be some people posting "mods are bad" or "mods are cheating". Bonus points for downloading their first mod without reading the description, saving over the only savegame they ever made with the mod, discovering they don't like it, then having their game break when they try to remove the mod inappropriately. Texture mods are pretty much always easy to remove though.

I'd take the original textures (with tons of AF, AA and supersampling) over all those. Just give me the view distance extender and I'm good. I'm not always against texture mods (Deus Ex's "new vision" is excellent) but Morrowind's always look like ass for some reason.
It's been a while since I searched for MW texture mods, but most of the most popular ones looked atrocious to me. The Vivec shot in Funposter's pic certainly looks better than the first example, though there's still some noticeable tiling on the pillars and the ground textures.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Landscape textures are tough, which is why I recommended a grass mod. Good architecture retextures are a straight upgrade.

Yeah, the overhaul mod's images of lots more grass and foliage look good. Issue there is though I'm not sure it looks like Morrowind, which always had that barren volcanic island look to it. Making it look more like Oblivion/Skyrim kind of reduces its uniqueness. I haven't replayed the game in a good while though, not sure what I would use next time.

alyvain

Learned
Is there a mod that makes the game more difficult? I don't mean survival elements (food, sleep and stuff like that) but something of a NPC-levelling, just making them tougher. I'm kinda tired of becoming an unstoppable demi-god in the first half of the game.

Is there a mod that makes the game more difficult? I don't mean survival elements (food, sleep and stuff like that) but something of a NPC-levelling, just making them tougher. I'm kinda tired of becoming an unstoppable demi-god in the first half of the game.
Never used any, but there are plenty of things you could do in character creation and gameplay to gimp yourself, if more difficult enemies is all you want.

alyvain

Learned
Never used any, but there are plenty of things you could do in character creation and gameplay to gimp yourself, if more difficult enemies is all you want.

yep, I know that. I'm always larping a bitm just not to make things worse, but at some point I always break and spend money on an athletics master trainer or something. Just wanted to know whether there is a way to fix the current playthrough in terms of balance.

Morrowind rebirth

I think I tried it a few yaers ago. I don't really trust all the global overhauls with new locations, rules, bigger cities, etc. Usually there is something off about them. But I'm gonna look into this one, thanks

McPlusle

Savant
What's the better Vanilla+ (basically just fixes/optimizations with no creative liberties) experience: Official Exe with MGE (for native res) + Morrowind Code Patch (for bug fixes) or OpenMW?

Molina

Savant

yep, I know that. I'm always larping a bitm just not to make things worse, but at some point I always break and spend money on an athletics master trainer or something. Just wanted to know whether there is a way to fix the current playthrough in terms of balance.

Morrowind rebirth

I think I tried it a few yaers ago. I don't really trust all the global overhauls with new locations, rules, bigger cities, etc. Usually there is something off about them. But I'm gonna look into this one, thanks
I can understand if you don't want to touch the vanilla. But for me, Rebirth and Tamriel are the best mod ever (and made Morrowind, the best game ever). Rebirth, as the name suggest, allowed me to discover again Vvardenfell despite 500h into.

alyvain

Learned
I can understand if you don't want to touch the vanilla. But for me, Rebirth and Tamriel are the best mod ever (and made Morrowind, the best game ever). Rebirth, as the name suggest, allowed me to discover again Vvardenfell despite 500h into.

Well then, I'm definitely gonna install it during the next run. Thanks

What's the better Vanilla+ (basically just fixes/optimizations with no creative liberties) experience: Official Exe with MGE (for native res) + Morrowind Code Patch (for bug fixes) or OpenMW?

It depends on what you want. I prefer OpenMW, because I never quite got how to make the game with MGE look pretty and not some distant-landy abomination with supposedly nice shaders. OpenMW is basically a vanilla after cardio training (but without the shadows)

CootKeeper

Augur

here's the absolute essential list:

0/ Wrye Mash [required for checking load order and you'll launch the game from here]
1/ MGE XE [make sure to run the MWSE update .exe] + Distant land texture fix [it just adds two missing file textures to get rid of the error when you run distant land]
2/ MCP 2.4 + beta 2.5 [install all of the beta patches and read all the descriptions for the other patches to choose the ones you wanna have. the important ones are already checked]
3/ Purist Patch [unofficial bug fixes. it incorporates many old mods together, no issues] + Official plugins fixed [replace the official plugins with these fixed ones. don't install the optional files]
4/ Morrowind Optimization Patch [it greatly increases your fps by optimising the meshes without any quality loss. absolutely essential]
5/ Morrowind Enhanced textures [ESRGAN upscaled textures, it's scary good]
6/ Expeditious Exit [you can now quit the game without it crashing]
7/ Loading Doors Lock Tune [fixes door sounds so that you hear doors close behind you]
8/ Creature VFX restoration [original morrowind back in 2002 had these effects on creatures but for some reason they got lost with the expansions]
9/ Vanilla style body replacer [vanilla body meshes get old real quick]

that's it. you're all set. thank me later.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

If you opt for OpenMW you need to be aware you are forfeiting virtually 90% of the body of work of Morrowind modding. The only reason you should install OpenMW is multiplayer.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Some simple GMST tweaks can do wonders. You can do them manually. Alternatively, use BTB's game improvements. As far as game settings go it's a lighter alternative to Rebirth, town overhauls won't make the game harder.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So I just started up my copy of morrowind that I modded and never played some months ago. Not sure wtf I was thinking with these mods, because the game is pretty much impossible now wtf!

• All enemies have like 4x the normal amount of health, or they're much higher level than usual
  • Sleeping doesn't restore health, you literally either need to drink potions or use restoration spells to heal
  • Hitting 0 fatigue, even when not in combat, causes screen to go black and you pass out for about 10 seconds
  • Diseases seem way more common, seems I get infected every time I fight anything that isn't humanoid
  • SKILLS DON'T LEVEL UP WHEN USED, the only way to level anything is through training PLUS:
  • Gold is impossible to come by, merchants by things at like 1/20th value AND most items have been revalued to be worth less

On top of all this, creatures seem more aggressive (scribs just auto attack on sight?), and there's a shitton of monsters I've never seen before just roaming around low level zones (goo monsters that shoot fireballs wtf).

Oh btw ingredient effects have been shuffled around so it's damn hard to even make potions that do anything useful, because restore magicka ingredients are now all expensive as hell etc..

I think this is unplayable. I can do the first few quests of each faction but training is so damn expensive I need to complete like 6 quests before I can train something ONE level. ugh

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Ok so I just deleted that entire fail setup and am rebuilding. Right now all I have installed is Morrowind Watercolored, Vurt's Groundcover, and MGEXE and holy shit the game looks really nice with just these three mods:

Y0mJy8O.jpg

IXPdReD.jpg

TTSkWm3.jpg

nuxnuXt.jpg

fhjpHgi.jpg

There have been playthroughs where I've spent hours handpicking and putting together hundreds of texture replacers etc but these three mods look nicer than any of the other setups I've ever had.

Now to decide on gameplay mods ugh..

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Ok so I just deleted that entire fail setup and am rebuilding. Right now all I have installed is Morrowind Watercolored, Vurt's Groundcover, and MGEXE and holy shit the game looks really nice with just these three mods

It's possible you aren't aware of other flora mods that have popped up recently.
These feature higher quality flora than Vurt's, offer more support, and IMO they look better.

mogwaimon

Magister
Man I haven't played Morrowind in years but that watercolor mod looks fucking tits, man. I'mma have to remember that for if I ever play it again.

Funposter

Arcane
Ok so I just deleted that entire fail setup and am rebuilding. Right now all I have installed is Morrowind Watercolored, Vurt's Groundcover, and MGEXE and holy shit the game looks really nice with just these three mods

It's possible you aren't aware of other flora mods that have popped up recently.
These feature higher quality flora than Vurt's, offer more support, and IMO they look better.

I still prefer Ozzy's for the colourful Ascadian Isles and fantastical Bitter Coast grasses/plants, but Aesthesia is a great option, particularly its Tamriel Rebuilt support. The 'fallen leaves' groundcover does a great job of hiding the ugly vanilla-sized textures around the Aanthirin region.

DraQ

Arcane
So I just started up my copy of morrowind that I modded and never played some months ago. Not sure wtf I was thinking with these mods, because the game is pretty much impossible now wtf!

• All enemies have like 4x the normal amount of health, or they're much higher level than usual
  • Sleeping doesn't restore health, you literally either need to drink potions or use restoration spells to heal
  • Hitting 0 fatigue, even when not in combat, causes screen to go black and you pass out for about 10 seconds
  • Diseases seem way more common, seems I get infected every time I fight anything that isn't humanoid
  • SKILLS DON'T LEVEL UP WHEN USED, the only way to level anything is through training PLUS:
  • Gold is impossible to come by, merchants by things at like 1/20th value AND most items have been revalued to be worth less

On top of all this, creatures seem more aggressive (scribs just auto attack on sight?), and there's a shitton of monsters I've never seen before just roaming around low level zones (goo monsters that shoot fireballs wtf).

Oh btw ingredient effects have been shuffled around so it's damn hard to even make potions that do anything useful, because restore magicka ingredients are now all expensive as hell etc..

I think this is unplayable. I can do the first few quests of each faction but training is so damn expensive I need to complete like 6 quests before I can train something ONE level. ugh
Thinly veiled attempt to get people asking for mod list detected.

>patch for purists

This one drew my attention but unfortunately it looks like modders gonna mod and the author's thought process is...interesting. Regarding the ebony shortsword buried under the meshes in Odai Plateau being uncovered then covered again in a subsequent version:

author said:
I have indeed reversed this change. The reason for this is that the sword can't be seen at all in the original game; so there isn't really a bug. In addition, I prefer not to touch cells when this is not really necessary, in the light of compatibility with other mods.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
>patch for purists

This one drew my attention but unfortunately it looks like modders gonna mod and the author's thought process is...interesting. Regarding the ebony shortsword buried under the meshes in Odai Plateau being uncovered then covered again in a subsequent version:

author said:
I have indeed reversed this change. The reason for this is that the sword can't be seen at all in the original game; so there isn't really a bug. In addition, I prefer not to touch cells when this is not really necessary, in the light of compatibility with other mods.

Yeah, the idea of the patch is nice and it's the best unofficial patch for Morrowind. But the mod is somewhat inconsistent, as the author has been known in the past to admit some fixes but not others because reasons. Moreoover

in the light of compatibility with other mods

is a terrible excuse to use when it comes to unofficial patches. Modders should work around the unofficial patches, not the opposite. I also think a sword buried underneath the plateau instead of being outright removed by the developers constitutes a pretty obvious bug, but what do I know...

The issue with these patches is that there's the mechanical, functional aspect of the game, and the oversights aspect of the game. Focusing on the former makes it easier to fix a game's bugs. The latter has nothing to do with bugs, and "oversight" is a pretty big camp: it can range anywhere from an NPC claiming certain ingredients can be found in an area when that isn't true, or NPCs claiming there's a city that cannot be found in game. Where do you draw the line?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom