Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Yosharian

Arcane
Right. I agree with this.

However, if they were integrated into the main narrative, surely they would have more things to say. Even a simple conversation along the lines of 'so, you've come to take my head, have you?' or 'you'll never take me alive', etc, would go a long way towards making these encounters feel more 'alive'.
The liches and Twisted Rune in BG2 didn't say much of anything anything either.

Oh and there's also the guarded compound in the temple district. You just walk in and these people with a lot of great loot start attacking you.
Yes, that's true, but these encounters don't feel artificial like DF bounties too. You just stumbled into the lair of a lich, or whatever.

The Real Fanboy
Glimpse of upcoming Fig update video:

giphy.gif

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The fact you are fighting over historical numbers of female pirates, given Deadfire's consistent and easy to track agenda for male denigration vis-a-vis females, is baffling. Though actually if you turned off your brain while reading the game's dialogues, this may have been your body's self-defense measure, so it's not fair to blame you.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Port Maje:
- Governor Clario - depicted as sly, simpleton, schemer, racist, servile, prioritising profit and disregarding kith lives, etc.
- Storm Speaker Ikawha - depicted as wise, honorable, fair, true to her word, humane
- Benessa - brave leader of the animancer expedition

- Rinco - gambler, cheat, greedy, racist - underestimates the Huana, hides behind his child to justify his case, insincere
- Mokeha - fighter, strong, honorable, strong sense of justice, sincere and compassionate

- Rum-Dumb Riggere - drunkard, gambler, simpleton, punches women
- Ilari - gang leader, cruel, aggressive, prays on the weak, simple - needs the player to explain to him that being owed a favor by the Watch is in his interest
- Savia - chief of town's watch, harsh, just, strong, responsible, concerned with keeping the peace/interests of the community

I'm too lazy to list further examples, but the trend continues in Neketaka, within the four major factions, etc. It doesn't take any looking to find it.

Delterius

Arcane
Port Maje:
- Governor Clario - depicted as sly, simpleton, schemer, racist, servile, prioritising profit and disregarding kith lives, etc.
- Storm Speaker Ikawha - depicted as wise, honorable, fair, true to her word, humane
- Benessa - brave leader of the animancer expedition

- Rinco - gambler, cheat, greedy, racist - underestimates the Huana, hides behind his child to justify his case, insincere
- Mokeha - fighter, strong, honorable, strong sense of justice, sincere and compassionate

- Rum-Dumb Riggere - drunkard, gambler, simpleton, punches women
- Ilari - gang leader, cruel, aggressive, prays on the weak, simple - needs the player to explain to him that being owed a favor by the Watch is in his interest
- Savia - chief of town's watch, harsh, just, strong, responsible, concerned with keeping the peace/interests of the community

I'm too lazy to list further examples, but the trend continues in Neketaka, within the four major factions, etc. It doesn't take any looking to find it.
yes, those characters are why im a male feminist now

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Let's look at all the factions in dumpsterfire:

Cultures from Europe - present
Cultures from East Asia - present
Cultures from India - present
Cultures from Middle-east - absent

The game is simply racist, especially towards people of the middle-east. It actively pushes Atlanto-Hyperborean Germanic image and completely marginalises and erases anyone outside of Europe, India (Aryan, frequently featured in fascist theories) and East Asia (Japanese thus honorary Aryan). We shouldn't tolerate this piece of media that pushes Aryan supremacy so blatantly.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Companions:
Eder - perfect man, kind to animals, brave and caring, has an ongoing inner struggle about the role of faith in his life that he tries to resolve as honestly as possible, strong moral compass,
Xoti - insufferable teenager, depicted as stupid and misguided when she tries to "reap" souls that aren't there, creepily flirts with a man that has no interest in her, useless class
Aloth - erudite and capable, travelled all over the world trying his best to uphold his obligations, capable of introspection and learning from mistakes, slightly autistic in an endearing way
Pellegina - completely obnoxious, gets hysterical at the slightest occasion, triggered by minor disagreement, insecure and self hating, lives only for the orders of her betters, worthless
Serafen - absolute lad, emotional in a virile way, loyal to his family and friends - will go to any lengths to save them from injustice, not able to hold down relationships but shows genuine regret
Maia - her primary personality trait is being racist, extremely petty and judgemental about her brother's interest in poetry(shows toxic gender expectations), can't do damage to skeletons(who are everywhere, btw)
Tekehu - chad as fuck, gets laid everywhere he goes, anti-racist and against prejudice, loves himself and helps instil self love in other godlike, has a strong sense of duty towards his people without hating others, he cute

Why is deadfire so sexist? fucking sawyer

Delterius

Arcane
Companions:
Eder - perfect man, kind to animals, brave and caring, has an ongoing inner struggle about the role of faith in his life that he tries to resolve as honestly as possible, strong moral compass,
Xoti - insufferable teenager, depicted as stupid and misguided when she tries to "reap" souls that aren't there, creepily flirts with a man that has no interest in her, useless class
Aloth - erudite and capable, travelled all over the world trying his best to uphold his obligations, capable of introspection and learning from mistakes, slightly autistic in an endearing way
Pellegina - completely obnoxious, gets hysterical at the slightest occasion, triggered by minor disagreement, insecure and self hating, lives only for the orders of her betters, worthless
Serafen - absolute lad, emotional in a virile way, loyal to his family and friends - will go to any lengths to save them from injustice, not able to hold down relationships but shows genuine regret
Maia - her primary personality trait is being racist, extremely petty and judgemental about her brother's interest in poetry(shows toxic gender expectations), can't do damage to skeletons(who are everywhere, btw)
Tekehu - chad as fuck, gets laid everywhere he goes, anti-racist and against prejudice, loves himself and helps instil self love in other godlike, has a strong sense of duty towards his people without hating others, he cute

Why is deadfire so sexist? fucking sawyer
I am convinced to no longer be a male feminist

Trashos

Arcane

Aloth is also an obvious metaphor for a transvestite or sth similar. For as long as I was paying attention to him anyway, I stopped caring from some point onwards.

Wasn't Pallegina genderless? IIRC, she was. She just looked like a woman (well, a Godlike one).

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron

The ones preaching against "sensitive SJWs" and for "masculine pride" are often the most whiny fucking bitches, I swear.
You won't find me ranting about SJWs all day long on this forum or anywhere. But when the trend is evident, I'm not going to pretend it's not there. Maybe that makes me a whiny bitch by your standards, I don't know, and don't really care.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
When is the definitive patch of this game coming out so I can do my conclusive run and be over with it? The PR guy said it was coming soon like, 3 weeks ago now?
depends on whether you're planning to ruin your fun by utilising turn-based mode ie. a square pushed into a triangle-shaped hole

I won't, I prefer turn-based games overall but the game is clearly not intended to be turn-based. I can play turn-based games intended to be turn-based, thankfully nowadays there are a lot of them. It is no longer early 2000s where devs thought audiences wouldn't like turn-based mode and did weird real time games.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Did TB boost sales at all, or is it the next failed experiment?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom