Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Can someone give me a quick rundown on this game? I heard about it years ago, but never really bothered checking it out.

How does it compare to the other Infinity Engine games?

Humanophage

Arcane
Can someone give me a quick rundown on this game? I heard about it years ago, but never really bothered checking it out.

How does it compare to the other Infinity Engine games?
Just made a post about it recently, so I'll paste it here. I'm not sure you heard about it years ago unless you mean the P&P because the CRPG is a recently released title. It's also not an IE game, though it's fairly similar.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is quite remarkable. I'd say it is a true heir to Baldur's Gate 1. Baldur's Gate 2 has no real exploration except the initial (great) urban hub and a bit of Underdark, so it is closer to P:T or IWD in terms of structure. NWN with its add-ons was also too streamlined. Because BG1 was more free-form, you could often visit areas intended for stronger parties, contributing to the impression that you are not being spoon-fed. It's the same in P:K. Yet there are also some constraints, so it's not exactly Fallout/Arcanum.

P:K adds the excellent character progression from NWN to BG1, which had a somewhat bare-bones system if you think about it. There are also many social skill checks, which are another welcome addition to the BG1 formula. It has a good chunk of low-level but diverse adventures, whereas most other games of this type try too hard to be epic. It even has the same flaws as BG1, which is that some off-the-grid areas are a little bland (e.g., the southern coastal part or the east in BG1). It's tougher than BG1, and is pleasantly challenging if you go above normal. Like BG1, it also has the mindset of being somewhat true to P&P without taking too many liberties, which is less of a case in later IE games. Finally, I like the idea that you have two sets of companions - your traditional party and some additional ministers who also contribute to the plot.

In a word, I was quite impressed, and I generally don't engage in fanboyism. I wisely postponed playing it because I know that new games have too many bugs. It seems to be all right by now. If I were you, I'd probably wait some more for them to further polish the game and improve the interface.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So how did you raise your touch AC to withstand the crystal spam?

Wild Hunt Crystal Attacks have pretty shitty accuracy. 40-ish Touch Ac is enough not to worry much about them. In general I never worried much about any Wild Hunt encounters. Granted, I generally played on Hard, not Unfair.

Mirror Image, Displacement/Imp. Invisibility, Blur and Old fashioned AC help.
Qo5hUPK.jpg

On the other hand, some unlucky rolls on those Jabberwock twin Eyes of Flame could end my char pretty fast.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm still on the second chapter, so I might be getting ahead of myself here... but my review so far could be shortened to a sentence such as "better than Baldur's Gate 1 and 2".

Quite amazing how these russians succeeded in making a worthy infinity engine inspired game while Obsidian and Inxile failed(and they had much more resources, don't forget that).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Indeed.
Although I quite liked Pillars.
But I do like this one better then either of the Baldur's games or NWNs.

Barbarian

Arcane
The C&C design is very solid. Look up the amount of possible endings to the lizardfolk quest for instance, or the troll quest. Great reactivity.

This is what NWN2 OC should have been and wasn't, a solid P&P inspired fantasy RPG romp. Clichéd and all, but well done.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The C&C design is very solid. Look up the amount of possible endings to the lizardfolk quest for instance, or the troll quest. Great reactivity.

This is what NWN2 OC should have been and wasn't, a solid P&P inspired fantasy RPG romp. Clichéd and all, but well done.

What are the different endings? I thought you always
ended up killing the king and disbanding the tribe

ArchAngel

Arcane

What are the different endings? I thought you always
ended up killing the king and disbanding the tribe
The boy can die or survive depending on what you do. You don't kill the king in all versions, Fey bastard kills him.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You can even civilize the lizards so they all start worshipping Gorum or Erastil and try to integrate into human society. :philosoraptor:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You can even civilize the lizards so they all start worshipping Gorum or Erastil and try to integrate into human society. :philosoraptor:
I have not seen that option. Whenever I offered them sanctuary in my cities they turned it down.
They do but in the end slides they eventually come around to the whole "living in peace and harmony" thing. I think it happens when you save the boy and have the shaman guy become chieftan.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, in my game
The will o wisp killed the king, the shaman said something to the effect of "we're probably screwed anyway because we don't have enough eggs" and refused any further help, if there was an option to make him the chief I missed it. The end slides said that the tribe survived but they gradually moved from the old lizard religion to worshiping human gods.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I killed one of my companions in P:K because I was always thinking when looking at them (to quote The Hound), "You're a cold little bitch aren't you?" It's the only time I ever intentionally killed a long time companion in an RPG, I think. I'm always looking for new sensations in these things so I'd like to thank Owlcat for giving me this opportunity. Neverwinter Nights 2 OC certainly never gave it to me.

*random thought bubble* If they wouldn't give us a construction set, this game should have at least had online multiplayer. Bah.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I killed one of my companions in P:K because I was always thinking when looking at them (to quote The Hound), "You're a cold little bitch aren't you?" It's the only time I ever intentionally killed a long time companion in an RPG, I think. I'm always looking for new sensations in these things so I'd like to thank Owlcat for giving me this opportunity. Neverwinter Nights 2 OC certainly never gave it to me.

*random thought bubble* If they wouldn't give us a construction set, this game should have at least had online multiplayer. Bah.
Something tells me people will be modding this game for the next 20 years, much like how Baldur's Gate is still being modded. If Owlcat doesn't add it, I'm sure someone will down the line.

deuxhero

Arcane

You never married the annoying woman in Homlet for the dowery and let her die to get rid of it? Never got married in Fallout 2?

Cael

Arcane

You never married the annoying woman in Homlet for the dowery and let her die to get rid of it? Never got married in Fallout 2?
The one with the dowry (+1 holy longsword) is the nice one. She's the NG druid and the one that doesn't say much. Her weak point is the 14 Wis she comes with, but Co8 changed that to 16, which made her more viable.

The bitch is the chaotic psycho stronk wymmyn in the north-east corner and she comes with a 1d10 (20/x3) masterwork handaxe (that counts as a 1-hd weapon, not a light weapon). The problem with getting her killed off at low levels is that she is about level 3 to your level 1 or something like that. It is as if the devs knew people would gank her for the weapon because of her attitude. The easiest way around that is to let her charge off alone vs a swarm of stirges and let her die of Con damage.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Some of the end game weapons are kind of insane. I am using Allslayer with Nok Nok in the House. And those items from the wizard behind the barrier are also fun :)

Took a break from this after killing Hargulka for real life reasons and just came back. Immediately encountered two fairly major bugs (first ones as of yet).

1) I cannot finish the Lost Child quest. I'm at the turn in phase for it where I'm supposed to talk to the child's mother in my tavern. The child is in my tavern, but where his mother is supposed to spawn there is instead a non-interactable NPC named Luna. Turns out she's part of a Jubilost quest that isn't supposed to trigger until Chapter 4 or 5? About half the time I go into the tavern now Jubilost will also be there, and I can talk to him to begin a quest and plotline in media res that I have absolutely no context for ("The Door to Nowhere"). Through the dialogue with Jubilost it seems as though Luna should despawn after talking to him, but...uh, she doesn't. No idea how I triggered this mistaken quest state, but it's pretty weird.

2) After completing Valerie's first companion quest (the one where she fights a duel with the douchebag paladin from her old order) her AI state is completely fucked (despite the fact that I toggle AI off as a general rule and should have complete manual control). I cannot control her at all in combat outside of movement. If I tell her to attack an enemy or use an ability she will simply stand idle with the ??? status above her head. Interestingly, if I toggle AI back on, then off again, and then back on, she will begin to auto-attack the nearest enemy, and will continue to change targets as enemies die, but she will also continue to ignore any orders I give her, and I have to do this every single fight. Super weird and fucking frustrating.

Taken in tandem these bugs might be enough for me to table my playthrough and do a full restart once the game's patch cycle has finished. I thought I was safe starting with 1.3, and I absolutely fucking loved everything up until killing Hargulka, but it seems the game is still in a bit of rough shape. If anyone has ideas for workarounds let me know. I reached out to the devs, but haven't heard anything as of yet.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Some of the end game weapons are kind of insane. I am using Allslayer with Nok Nok in the House. And those items from the wizard behind the barrier are also fun :)
The axe is the most damaging weapon in the game - by a pretty wide margin.
Fun that you can get it around level 11. Even sooner if you don't mind sending your companions on suicidal missions.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
1) I cannot finish the Lost Child quest. I'm at the turn in phase for it where I'm supposed to talk to the child's mother in my tavern. The child is in my tavern, but where his mother is supposed to spawn there is instead a non-interactable NPC named Luna. Turns out she's part of a Jubilost quest that isn't supposed to trigger until Chapter 4 or 5? About half the time I go into the tavern now Jubilost will also be there, and I can talk to him to begin a quest and plotline in media res that I have absolutely no context for ("The Door to Nowhere"). Through the dialogue with Jubilost it seems as though Luna should despawn after talking to him, but...uh, she doesn't. No idea how I triggered this mistaken quest state, but it's pretty weird.
I got this too. They'd occasionally spawn in that tavern and if I talked to them, they'd say some weird, completely out of context stuff. I just didn't speak to them and eventually the quest progressed to the point where it was supposed to on its own. I think it happens because normally, Jubilost is supposed to go there on a very specific day of the month, but what actually happens is that he goes there on that day every single month regardless of whether the quest is active or not. No idea why.

Delterius

Arcane

Something tells me people will be modding this game for the next 20 years, much like how Baldur's Gate is still being modded. If Owlcat doesn't add it, I'm sure someone will down the line.
I dunno man, from what I understand Unity is kind of a bitch. Causing mods like Eldritch Arcana add to the bugs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I talked previously how my current Evil run had my Kingdom get into Unrest randomly. It started during Pitax chapter but it never stopped after that (with always reason: unnamed Quest). Even after Pitax every month or two I would lose one state of unrest and I would need to do projects to recover some of it. I entered the House with Worried unrest level. I would guess some quest decision I made bugged out.. fucking irritating. I spent extra 4000 bp on those stupid Feasts for no reason. Ended with 9 in Espionage because of it :(

When choosing Tax options I am from now always picking Chaotic Neutral option of No Taxes, only one worth taking with these stupid bugs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom