Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've never played it but from what I've seen, I'm surprised so many people argue for it being an RPG.

It's surprising to see people saying it's not an RPG. It ticks all the boxes that a game like Wizardry ticks, the only difference being one is real-time and the other turn-based.

Dark souls is having a lot of votes, hope it doesn't make the list this time, or at least gets a way lower spot.

It will rank very close to 2014 list, probably even improving its previous position.
It seems that top 20 will probably include The Witcher 3 and Age of Decadence this time, probably both will rank over Kotor II, Ultima Underground or Darklands.
Some, not 100% accurate, fast count data:

There are many more votes in this poll than in 2014 case. +300 codexers accounts already voted, 4 days before poll closing.

The Witcher 3 has 123 points. Enough to be in top 20 (+10 points over Kotor II e.g.).

The Age of Decadence with 168 points will probably reach top 15.

Dark Souls has 174 points and it's possible that it could improve some positions.

Top 10 seems to be the same than in 2014 poll at the moment, but probably will be some little changes in positions.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Dark souls is having a lot of votes, hope it doesn't make the list this time, or at least gets a way lower spot.

It will rank very close to 2014 list, probably even improving its previous position.
It seems that top 20 will probably include The Witcher 3 and Age of Decadence this time, probably both will rank over Kotor II, Ultima Underground or Darklands.
Some, not 100% accurate, fast count data:

There are many more votes in this poll than in 2014 case. +300 codexers accounts already voted, 4 days before poll closing.

The Witcher 3 has 123 points. Enough to be in top 20 (+10 points over Kotor II e.g.).

The Age of Decadence with 168 points will probably reach top 15.

Dark Souls has 174 points and it's possible that it could improve some positions.

Top 10 seems to be the same than in 2014 poll at the moment, but probably will be some little changes in positions.
ffs I knew they should have gated the voting!

How did you get those results? Did you count them yourself?

SniperHF

Arcane
will rank over Kotor II, Ultima Underground or Darklands.

I know the total # of games in the list is in flux, but a good idea might be to extend the list to where any game on the previous list, is on the current list. So if it ends up a top 85 or something you can see which games dropped off and how far.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
will rank over Kotor II, Ultima Underground or Darklands.

I know the total # of games in the list is in flux, but a good idea might be to extend the list to where any game on the previous list, is on the current list. So if it ends up a top 85 or something you can see which games dropped off and how far.
I'd choose a cutoff that excludes meme votes like Fallout 4 and Mass Effect.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Enjoy yourself, mate, but don't neglect the classics if you haven't gotten a chance to play Arcanum or Fallout.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm still counting the votes, but it's interesting how the Codex has a very specific taste on average... once again there's not a single roguelike or Diablo-clone on the Top 50.

I get the Diablo hate, but why no love for roguelikes, Codexia?

T. Reich

Arcane
I'm still counting the votes, but it's interesting how the Codex has a very specific taste on average... once again there's not a single roguelike or Diablo-clone on the Top 50.

I get the Diablo hate, but why no love for roguelikes, Codexia?

Personal opinion - both roguelikes and hack'n'slash games ARE at the very least borderline RPGs. Just like action-RPGs, or stat-heavy squad-based turn-based tactics, etc etc (we all know what often-voted games I'm referring to here).
BUT - they aren't exactly "pure form" RPGs, are they? (inb4, "what is an RPG?").
So, personally, in my votes I dropped such games or gave them lower votes because I believe "purer" RPGs deserve to be in the limelight of the "top RPGs of all time" rating.
Otherwise, based on purely my gaming preferences, I'd have given both Path of Exile and Deus Ex a solid 5.

Additional conjectures:
1) hack'n'slash has a stigma for "dumbing down" RPGs, so it gets shunned.
2) roguelikes are way too niches, even for codexian tastes.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Personal opinion - both roguelikes and hack'n'slash games ARE at the very least borderline RPGs. Just like action-RPGs, or stat-heavy squad-based turn-based tactics, etc etc (we all know what often-voted games I'm referring to here).
BUT - they aren't exactly "pure form" RPGs, are they? (inb4, "what is an RPG?").
I think it's a bad comparison. IMHO rogue-likes are pure form RPGs in the sense that the target audience is RPG purists. Action-RPGs, on contrary, are, to various extents (Daggerfall is different from the last Assassin's Creed), RPGs which are meant to appeal to people who hate RPGs.

Last edited:

Lord Andre

Arcane
My one gripe is that most people vote Fallout 2 / Gothic 2 / M&M 6

instead of

Fallout 1 / Gothic 1 / M&M 7

Why would you choose the bloated, gets boring halfway through version over the short but tighter quality version ?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Once Caves of Qud is finished, it could become the roguelike that makes it into the Top 50. Even the Early Access version seems to be miles above any other roguelike so far.

Except maybe FTL and NEO Scavenger.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
because M&M7 is shit while M&M6 is not, fuck you
Still, he's right about Fallout 1 and Gothic 1. The story and setting are miles better and more coherent in FO1 than FO2; and the feeling of being treated like shit, of starting as a zero and gaining power and respect is at its best in Gothic 1. Also the prison colony is a much more interesting and cutthroat setting than the G2 mainland, which is why the NotR expansion brings it back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom