Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
But Chrono Trigger is on PC!?

Late ports don't count, ports close to the original console release date do, not that hard to understand

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The idea you exclude RPGs from the list because they were released on a console first once upon a time is actual stupidity.

I wouldn't vote for Chrono Trigger, really simple JRPG combat actually isn't greatest of all time material, but it's still actually just dumb.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
IDK, you guys will complain if the list isn't incline, but then you want console JRPG trash to be eligible?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
IDK, you guys will complain if the list isn't incline, but then you want console JRPG trash to be eligible?

If people vote for trash people are just dumb and it's a terrible list irrespective of where the games came from.

But taking Dragon Age 2 off the list of things you can vote for just so people don't vote for bad games sort of defeats the point.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I didn't think this place could surprise me any more than it has, but the number of votes for Sengoku Rance has done it

Everyone, let's get this to the top together:salute:
Eh.
Gameplay relies too much on savescumming.

I would say gameplay is a too easy if you know what you are doing.

This knowledge comes mainly of knowing plot triggers that game throws at you at various turns.
Very easy to death spiral otherwise.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The Codex is a PC-focused forum, in an ocean of websites and forums that are devoted to consoles. People can go anywhere else vote for Chrono Trigger.

Basically, the idea is to be the opposite of this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...nal-update-top-101-up-plus-many-extras.53930/

Not this list obviously, but in the future why not just consider JRPGs a different genre? I know I certainly do. Then we wouldn't have to worry about platforms much (almost any Western style RPG is on PC, barring extremely rare exceptions like Bloodborne).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And how would you define it in a way that wouldn't make something like Krondor or PST a JRPG?

I think you're discounting the style differences that are obvious and do matter, but if we're insisting on tech aspects it would be stuff like linearity, choice over character development, narrative choice, ATB battle systems, whatever. Really though you could make a post like yours insisting anime and Disney classics are the same thing, but we all know anime is treated like a different genre. JRPGs can be too. The only real dilemma I could see there would be over whether Western style RPGs made in Japan like the last Zelda would count.

You're right though honestly that lots of internet people are super pedantic and would focus on technical minutiae to insist they're the same thing, despite them obviously not being the same thing, so whatever. There's no perfect answer here.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Have you played it? That game is much different from the previous ones, and very much an RPG if Gothic, Witcher and Dark Souls are.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm actually gonna reverse everything I just fucking said because we're getting into the "WUT IS AN RPGEE" discussion and that way lies madness, so ignore me. I think keeping it PC focused is more the way to go, and his rules do that. I'm gonna go eat breakfast and pretend this never happened.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
If it's not a first person shooter it's an RPG

Except if it's Prey which is still an RPG anyway according to our 2017 GOTY poll

Rev

Arcane
The rules are fine, but I don't agree with unifying base games and expansions. Think of NWN2 and MotB, now the first one is about as mediocre as it gets when dealing with rpgs, but MotB is a gem, something that on its own is fully deserving of a place in the top 10.
I can't just vote NWN2 + expansions, because the base game sucks (and the other expansion is not that good either), but I would gladly vote for MotB, if it was disconnected from base NWN2. I didn't count the votes so far, but I'm quite confident that I'm not the only one thinking like this and while MotB was pretty high in the old list, I don't think NWN2 + expansions will be that high this time, so at the end of the day MotB will be penalised by this decision.

Now, MotB is the most glaring example of what I'm saying but I'm sure the same can be said about some other games and having the chance to vote for base games and expansions separately would've been better imo.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The results for the most overrated RPG's on the Codex in the downvoting thread:

1. Witcher 3

(-113 points)
  2. Morrowind

(-53 points)
  3. Baldur's Gate 2

(-39 points)
  4. Planescape Torment

(-36 points)
  5. Neverwinter Nights

(-34 points)
  6. Mass Effect 2

(-33 points)
  7. D:OS 2

(-30 points)
  8. Fallout: New Vegas

(-28 points)
  9. Pillars of Eternity

(-25 points)
  10. Dark Souls

(-24 points)
  11. Dragon Age: Origins

(-21 points)
  12. Elex

(-21 points)
  13. Baldur's Gate

(-20 points)
  14. Age of Decadence

(-19 points)
  15. Arcanum

(-19 points)
  16. D:OS

(-17 points)
  17. Pathfinder: Kingmaker

(-14 points)
  18. Wasteland 2

(-14 points)
  19. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

(-13 points)
  20. Fallout 2

(-12 points)

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...nly-10-pts-to-distribute-not-25.127314/page-7

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom