Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xenonauts vs. OpenXcom

Mazisky

Magister
How does one arrive at that conclusion when it's filled with anime? It's certainly an atmosphere, but superior?

If you really played that game you know it. People who are disagreeing here are probably under 20 years old and the first game with aliens they played is Mass Effect

PrettyDeadman

How does one arrive at that conclusion when it's filled with anime? It's certainly an atmosphere, but superior?
Most importantly it is filled with half-dressed heavy metal wombyn with large breasts and wide hips.

Falksi

Arcane
Xenonauts becomes boring fast. It's core fundamentals are OK, but it lacks so much else.

X-Com is probably the game I've sunken most hours into ever, and absolutely blows it out of the water.

In particular I think Xenonauts enemies are dull as dishwater. Whereas pretty much every X-com game comes loaded with a ton of memorable enemies. Each mission still sees me fear Chyrssalids. I can't even remember what Xenonauts were called.

Mazisky

Magister
Xenonauts becomes boring fast. It's core fundamentals are OK, but it lacks so much else.

X-Com is probably the game I've sunken most hours into ever, and absolutely blows it out of the water.

In particular I think Xenonauts enemies are dull as dishwater. Whereas pretty much every X-com game comes loaded with a ton of memorable enemies. Each mission still sees me fear Chyrssalids. I can't even remember what Xenonauts were called.

The original chryssalid was so memorable and scary with that weird grin...too bad they changed it in a dull zerg-like monster in Nuxcoms :\

Falksi

Arcane

The original chryssalid was so memorable and scary with that weird grin...too bad they changed it in a dull zerg-like monster in Nuxcoms :\

Aye. I'll never forget the time I first killed one of it's offspring to see it reveal another Vjyrssalid. Who wasn't like "holy shit I am fucking dead!" :lol:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Aye. I'll never forget the time I first killed one of it's offspring to see it reveal another Vjyrssalid. Who wasn't like "holy shit I am fucking dead!" :lol:

We were all there.
Yet, at some point, you use chrysalids to improve your troopers reaction ...
My favorite being controlling snakemen, disarming them and putting them behind a wall, so their curiosity would kill them (slowly, because everyone had a laser gun).

Well, i just found out there's a new crysalid version in xenonauts, nice one too.

If you're bored so fast with the game, it's probably because it's not so new, in spite of all the upgrades (check previous page if you missed the list)

There's another thing i'd add to xenonauts, beside a readable police, it's a fallout / wasteland 2 empty gun visual, how many times i was caught off-guard; i believe the aliens use some unfair advantages, like knowing who didn't reload; thinking i could take anything coming at me just to realize the guy with the gatling laser (well, i use 3 of them actually) didn't reload.

Mazisky

Magister
1356240186974.jpg

Irata

Scholar

I can't get past how the elite soldiers look like they're here to fix my air conditioner. The uniforms make them look frumpy.

Falksi

Arcane
If you're bored so fast with the game, it's probably because it's not so new, in spite of all the upgrades (check previous page if you missed the list)

Nah, I was bored because it was boring.

It lacked character, atmosphere, tension, and excitement. That list is mainly gimmick/functional based, and no amount of upgrades like that will fix any of those probs. It's like putting a wig & make-up on a woman you don't fancy. Might make her technically more appealing, but ultimately you still sooner be wanking over your ex.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
I don't know, maybe it's the mods, i barely touched the vanilla version but the ambient is there, good music and all.

Music was good for sure, but I wasn't keen on the art-style. Felt weak.

The best X-Com games for me are the original '94 Enemy Unknown, Apocalypse and Nu-X-Com Enemy Within. They really capture the "invasion" feel of everything.

Apocalypse is a very underrated game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, i'm further into Xenonauts and it doesn't disappoint.

I find it harder than the original, not only there is more research (or seems to be) but it's tougher to get the aerial superiority, on veteran mode.
The predator armor is really good, another cool innovation, i found that robot advantage really unfair when i first encountered them but that's really nice to be able to walk through walls when you finally build the heavy armor.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I don't find the shields very useful as they only block front damage and your "shieldmaiden" can only use a handgun, which is terribly sad, besides, even front damage can get through.

Suppression fire, on the other hand ...

ever used meatshields in x-com? of course you did, and it was pretty retarded to send these totally unequipped rookies straight to the death, there only to absorb a hit or two. with the shield, suddenly those meatshields can scout and draw fire. magic.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
In X-COM, aliens are the meat-bags, you control one, disarm him, walk him to the next one, control him and so on, why bother killing rookies ?

In xenonauts, you hide in fear, aliens make your soldiers panic, control some, you just have to reload or to stun your own men, no shield is going to help.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Xenonauts is a fine game but limited by its engine. Keep in mind it's running on the same engine that is used to play cheap restaurant simulator games for phones and shit. It does not come anywhere close to Xcom, but then again what does? I also don't think either game does the aerial combat right, but of the two Xenonauts is closer to finding the right solution so it has that going for it I guess.

Modron

Arcane
Xenonauts is a fine game but limited by its engine. Keep in mind it's running on the same engine that is used to play cheap restaurant simulator games for phones and shit. It does not come anywhere close to Xcom, but then again what does? I also don't think either game does the aerial combat right, but of the two Xenonauts is closer to finding the right solution so it has that going for it I guess.
I am still butthurt over the user voted kickstarter stretch goals for Xenonauts, those mongoloids voted for stuff like female soldiers over bunker busters/psi mods and a pilot experience system. Simple art assets that a modder could whip up in a day or two over substantial additions to game play.
:x

orcinator

Liturgist
As discussed many times before, Xenonauts doesn't offer enough improvements over the classic X-com to cancel out Xeno's own flaws and OpenXcom does it better for the most part.

I did see several overhaul mods on the Xenonauts forums and I do really want to know if any of them actually turn the game into something actually good instead of just an ugly X-com with better UI.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Dioxine (X-piratez creator) once commented on modding Xenonauts on the X-piratez board:

Quote from: KZad Bhat on August 03, 2018, 10:36:13 am
Dioxine ever decides to transfer over to Xenonauts I'll follow for sure.
Never. Xenonauts are hostile to moding, and pretty much inane code-wise. I modded Xenonauts before moving here. Loss of time and effort.

For example, apparently in Xenonauts you need a separate sprite for every armor and weapon combination.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom