Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Demon Souls remake with improved bosses, the non finished archstone and another new one would be fantastic.

Perkel

Arcane
yeah i would kill for roguelike dungeon crawler with DS combat.
BB had chalice dungeons but those dungeons had barely any variance to them so in half an hour you never seen anything new.

alyvain

Learned
I've decided to try Dark Souls. Should I start with this one or DSII/III? Do I need a gamepad to enjoy the game? Thx.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
always start with the first :)

Well, there are some series where the later installments are quite better or at least easier to get into
If you want to start with the worst, start with DS II. And DS III is some sort of 'Best Of' album - pretty, but a bit 'Soulless' - pun intended.

If you have the opportunity, play Demon's Souls and Bloodborne instead of the sequels.

(A scaring amount of Codexers likes DS II for some reason though, ask them why.)

RoSoDude

Arcane
Should I start with this one or DSII/III? Do I need a gamepad to enjoy the game?
This one. Probably not, but I dunno about the remaster, which I assume is what you're playing. If playing the original release, grab DSFix and DSMFix.

Your info is outdated. For the Prepare to Die Edition you want DSFix and the Dark Souls Input Customizer. It includes a proper mouselook mod with full mouse injection (DSMFix just interpolated the mouse as stick input), reworked camera controls, and functional menus, as well as fully remappable controls on keyboard or gamepad down to dedicated inputs for kicking, sprinting, etc. The "Remastered" version has its own M+KB setup which is vastly better than the PTDE default, but I don't know how it compares with DSIC.

alyvain I'm quite adamant that mouse and keyboard is a great way to play Dark Souls. Only use a gamepad if that's genuinely your preference. My testimonial here.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Dark Souls is their breakthrough album, which will always be good

Demon's is the album they did before they got big -- fans will appreciate the greatness, the rest will pass

DSII is the album with exploratory tracks they recorded with various people, 3 CDs, bonus DVD which is actually the best, but incoherent artistic vision and no real quality control

DSIII is the best of album with a couple of new tracks and remakes of some original hits; good, but kinda soulless

Bloodborne is the solo guitarist side project which for many people outshone the main deal

Last edited:
Yeah, I disagree - wich definetly justifies all the 'Retarded' ratings you DS II fanatics give out to everyone calling it bad...

Then tell us which Souls game has better balanced stats, larger variety of viable builds and just better overall mechanics than DS II.

praetor

Arcane
(A scaring amount of Codexers likes DS II for some reason though, ask them why.)

Because it does "action RPG" part best in the series and this is RPG Codex, genius.
Yeah, I disagree - wich definetly justifies all the 'Retarded' ratings you DS II fanatics give out to everyone calling it bad...

let me guess... you disagree because there's a castle atop a lava lake that can't be seen from the previous area (even though it doesn't really matter that much), because the world isn't interconnected (fair criticism, but the game is less linear because of it), because most bosses are humanoid (even if it were true though, the best bosses in the whole extended franchise are all humanoid), and because it's artificially difficult because there are lots of ganks (even though that's false).

have i covered all your bullshit, or do you have more regurgitation of idiotic arguments at hand?

the game is far from perfect, it has plenty of flaws, but 99,999% of "arguments" presented by 'dexers who are haters are nothing more than bullshit regurgitations of that idiotic video by matthewmatosis or whatever that cunt's name is. and DS3 is objectively inferior in nearly every way

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
This game that many people like is shit and I don't understand how anyone could enjoy it

2 mins later: whoa, why such hostility
Where did I say it was shit? I said it's the worst of the DS games.

I stand by that. I played through it three times and spend more time in it's PVP than in DS I and III combined.

But it didn't offer anything new and I was pretty disappointed by looks, story, NPCs - and the 'lol, you'll die a lot' ladies and the 'Death Counter' aren't what DS is about for me. (Edit: and yes, I think you rather should play Demon's Souls and Bloodborne than the DS sequels, because they offer something different. Mea culpa.)

Anyway, I'm out, love you all.

Last edited:

Then tell us which Souls game has better balanced stats, larger variety of viable builds and just better overall mechanics than DS II.

Poise mechanics and staggering most enemies is fundamentally broken, so those builds aren't viable (in the sense of offering anything new).
Spells are complete dogshit, so out with hexes/miracles/sorceries/pyromancy.
What's left other than DEX builds?

Virtually everything is viable and offers something unique in DS1. I'd say the same for DeS as well, though I haven't played in ages and my recollection may be a lot more spotty.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Poise mechanics and staggering most enemies is fundamentally broken, so those builds aren't viable (in the sense of offering anything new).
Spells are complete dogshit, so out with hexes/miracles/sorceries/pyromancy.
What's left other than DEX builds?
are you sure you talking about dark souls 2 and not about 3?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom