Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Jamma

Novice
- Should votes for all games in the Trails in the Sky and Geneforge series be combined? I mean, does someone really starts playing Trails in the Sky from the second game?
It works for Trails in the Sky, but Geneforge games are standalone and most people don't play them in order. Can't think of other games where I would combine votes.

- How long the list should be? Between 70 at 100 there's a lot of ties, so there's no round number to pick. And if we go all the way to 100 we get some games that only 3 or 4 people voted for. Here's the votes & points:
Looking at the votes, 70 seems like a reasonable number. 100 is too much since the last places are occupied by games that got 10 votes - which means two people gave them 5 points as a joke. It doesn't mean much.
I would like to see full results anyway.

Are there going to be reviews like the last time? That was the best part of the list. It wasn't just random names, and it wasn't full of meaningless superlatives either.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
Ok, I already counted all the votes so far, so here's three questions for debate:

- Should votes for all games in the Trails in the Sky and Geneforge series be combined? I mean, does someone really starts playing Trails in the Sky from the second game?

Edit: I misread this, Nano is correct. Combining all of them would artificially inflate their value.

-We got 9 new accounts from after the poll started. Should we allow them?

Use extreme discretion. Dismiss obvious trolls, shills, and newfags. Especially dismiss anyone weighing in heavily on the more recent titles.

- How long the list should be? Between 70 at 100 there's a lot of ties, so there's no round number to pick. And if we go all the way to 100 we get some games that only 3 or 4 people voted for. Here's the votes & points:

If there's a point tie, the title with more votes should 'win' and be placed on top. Last time you chose to list the top 72, because it was at 72 where any sign of statistical consensus dropped off. Why not use the same criteria here? Don't pick an arbitrary number, let the statistics tell you when to stop, like last time.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Combine them all as the most popular title, if the points are the same take the title with the most votes, otherwise combine them as simply 'Trails in the Sky' or 'Geneforge'.
Use extreme discretion. Dismiss obvious trolls, shills, and newfags. Especially dismiss anyone weighing in heavily on the more recent titles.
There's a lot of bias in your points. No series should be getting special treatment. And as for the post-vote start accounts, it would be best to just stick to the rule already established by felipepepe.

How long the list should be? Between 70 at 100 there's a lot of ties, so there's no round number to pick. And if we go all the way to 100 we get some games that only 3 or 4 people voted for. Here's the votes & points:

You know the results better, but I think the drop in positions since last poll is specially significative in pre-1995 games. Pools of Darkness, Ultima Underworld 2 or ADOM are below 80th position this time isn't it?

Probably a list that included as many classics as possible could be more representative of crpgs in their whole and not simply a trend. Specially thinking in the impact outside the codex where last decade games dominates every ranking of "best rpgs".

Edit: Pools of Radiance, Ultima Underground... I'm going to sleep.

Last edited:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ok, I already counted all the votes so far, so here's three questions for debate:

- We got 9 new accounts from after the poll started. Should we allow them?

lh2uyEn.png

100 should be ok. and, oh, the number of votes shouldnt matter as its part of the methodology. Its fair! Lets stick to it.

SniperHF

Arcane
Lurkers (with pre voting join dates) are okay. No new accounts.

80 looks good based on voting. Maybe if you get a few from the lower levels that move up with last minute voting up it to 85. I still kind of like the idea of having the list be as long as any game that was on the old top 70. Minus something that just fell completely off the map obviously.

I personally wouldn't combine titles based on franchise but I'm not super stuck on that idea. I assume you're asking this question cause one or both of th ose would fall off the list when they were on it before.

Trashos

Arcane
Should votes for all games in the Trails in the Sky and Geneforge series be combined? I mean, does someone really starts playing Trails in the Sky from the second game?

No, they should not be combined. The rules should be as simple as possible. Complications like that will only lead to further neverending complications and more and more gray areas.

We got 9 new accounts from after the poll started. Should we allow them?

No. Your rule was clear that no new accounts should vote. Do not change the rules after the vote started. Do not vindicate the people who didn't follow the simple rules. You also don't want to punish the people who respected your rules.

How long the list should be? Between 70 at 100 there's a lot of ties, so there's no round number to pick. And if we go all the way to 100 we get some games that only 3 or 4 people voted for.

Top 75 or Top 80 should be OK. Make a brief honorable mention at the end for the games that just missed the list.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
More like the result of the games that caused more butthurt in gameplayfags.

As a card carrying storyfag NWN gameplay (and camera) is literally so bad I cannot enjoy the story, it's honestly cringe.

TITS 1 and 2 are the same game, part 1 and 2, and what most people mean when they say Trails in the Sky.

TITS 3 is a clearly different game.

I'd at least combine 1 and 2 minimum and all three if you are feeling frisky.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
felipepepe
I agree with Trashos, except I would prefer top 100 over top 80 because there will be some gems in the 81-100 spots and because it serves for a better clickbait and because people might accidentally stumble upon our list instead of IGN top 100 or Gamestop top 100 or Gry-online top 100 RPGs.

As for new accounts, don't include those votes (the rules were clear) BUT add the information how results would look like if they had been included.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
We got 9 new accounts from after the poll started. Should we allow them?
No.

And I'd say, if someone has less than 25 posts on the Codex (or an agreed upon number), and just activated their sleeper account to vote, they also shouldn't be counted.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter

lh2uyEn.png

>Nobody plays only Dark Souls 2, and all the Souls games are pretty similar, so let's combine the points. (No, we shouldn't get into that. I like bundling in expansion packs, but let's not combine entirely different games that were released as different games.)

>Accounts made after the poll started? No way. Could easily be alts. Are probably alts.

>100 seems less arbitrary than 70. Also good number of Codexians voted for these games, so while being listed at number 98 may not be a badge of honor, it at least serves as a guide for games worth mentioning. I expect a lot of these titles are obscure.

S.torch

Arbiter
100 seems to much. Did "some" places do another similar top 100 games?
Less games made the top look more special or different from other sites

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

I say go with 100. The last 30 or so will be interesting because they're lesser known or lesser praised. Plus you can get hits from people just searching "top 100 rpgs" or top 100 lists...

T. Reich

Arcane
Top-100 for a nice round number. EDIT: Or the 14/88 solution. Sounds sensible AND it will probably get some attention from the mainstream gaming media.
Don't bundle different games in a series.
Don't count latecomer accounts.

P.S.: Brand S.torch as a shitposter that he is and don't count his votes either.
P.P.S.: Actually, it might be a good idea to not count any votes from 2018+ accounts. Fucking newfags, they wouldn't know a good RPG even if it hit them in the ass and legs.

Arulan

Cipher
I don't have any strong preference on the size of the list, just as long as the tail-end has enough points to produce interesting results.

Don't forget the cool graphs! :cool:

V_K

Arcane
How long the list should be? Between 70 at 100 there's a lot of ties, so there's no round number to pick.
I just want to point out that the previous top is also technically a top 71, so no reason to stick with a round number this time either.
Voting is closed. Will reveal result soon, but just want to show one thing for now:

sSsa9GB.png

The consensus is: there's no consensus.
DOS2 got almost twice as many downvotes though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom