Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Super BunnyHop Thread

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
The video is timestamped and you can ignore the middle portion about the history of Hollywoord unions (I did). The rest of the vid is a composed of interviews with the currently active people in the union space, who give their reasons for why they think it will be good.

My question is whether many unions will spring up if one springs up. What does it take to form a successful union in the US? And wouldn't it be possible for studios to have in-house unions too?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Videogame unions sounds kinda retarded. Will it also affect indie devs or just AAA/AA devs?
It will affect those who join in. Most indies shouldn't be affected. To me it seems that it will fuck up the industry for good. When i listened to those lazy fucks i rolled my eyes so much. "Oh gosh,once i had to stay all nighter to finish a product",to me it seems like a bunch of entitled lazy fat fucks lol.

Reever

Scholar
Patron

Gender/trans quota union enforcement coming soon.

"Have there even been incidents regarding this?"
"Yes, there were some bosses being kidnapped in France. I mean, it's a little extreme but you know, nothing like what the workers have to endure":retarded:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Videogame unions sounds kinda retarded. Will it also affect indie devs or just AAA/AA devs?
It will affect those who join in. Most indies shouldn't be affected. To me it seems that it will fuck up the industry for good. When i listened to those lazy fucks i rolled my eyes so much. "Oh gosh,once i had to stay all nighter to finish a product",to me it seems like a bunch of entitled lazy fat fucks lol.
Yeah, I'm sure this is about having to stay in for one night. :roll:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Mate,it is up to you to defend your rights. It is a fucking job,if you don't like the conditions and the negotiations fail,just walk away and find yourself a new one,or stay and don't whine. I really dislike people that complain about the choices they had made.

Destroid

Arcane
Mate,it is up to you to defend your rights. It is a fucking job,if you don't like the conditions and the negotiations fail,just walk away and find yourself a new one,or stay and don't whine. I really dislike people that complain about the choices they had made.

What do you think unions do?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

They make the food tastier.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

They make the food tastier.
Don't know and don't care,i have never been in one and will never be.

PrettyDeadman

Organizing / participating in a union is one of the ways to defend your rights as an employee, probably one of the most effecient for most people. What's your problem with that again?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Organizing / participating in a union is one of the ways to defend your rights as an employee, probably one of the most effecient for most people. What's your problem with that again?
Where did i say that i have a problem??? I dislike that union shit and thing that it should be up to the workers to negotiate better condition for themself. The whole thing is that it is a different culture and work ethics. I believe that workers are hired to do a certain work under disclosed conditions,if the worker doesn't like he should just leave.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I dislike that union shit and thing that it should be up to the workers to negotiate better condition for themself. The whole thing is that it is a different culture and work ethics. I believe that workers are hired to do a certain work under disclosed conditions,if the worker doesn't like he should just leave.

Many workers, especially in industries in which managers can take advantage of them, don't know the first thing about negotiation. When someone is hired in a REAL job, they often can negotiate their salary and vacation/sick time. Many don't. A union helps. They negotiate on behalf of the employees to establish guidelines on how employees should be paid and how much time is allotted. That is a simple example of how a union helps employees. There are tons of other benefits, and video game developers unionizing is a good thing.

The workers-are-on-their-own mentality is toxic and playing into the hands of the managers, who, of course, don't want unions so they can work employees to the bone and pay them the bare minimum.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Spoken like someone who never had to pay rent.
Yeah,i do own my house.

I dislike that union shit and thing that it should be up to the workers to negotiate better condition for themself. The whole thing is that it is a different culture and work ethics. I believe that workers are hired to do a certain work under disclosed conditions,if the worker doesn't like he should just leave.

Many workers, especially in industries in which managers can take advantage of them, don't know the first thing about negotiation. When someone is hired in a REAL job, they often can negotiate their salary and vacation/sick time. Many don't. A union helps. They negotiate on behalf of the employees to establish guidelines on how employees should be paid and how much time is allotted. That is a simple example of how a union helps employees. There are tons of other benefits, and video game developers unionizing is a good thing.

The workers-are-on-their-own mentality is toxic and playing into the hands of the managers, who, of course, don't want unions so they can work employees to the bone and pay them the bare minimum.
Sure in some works union makes sense,but in many it doesn't. Why are so many people so butthurt about that shit i don't get it. Most unions in the end work for the parasites that are on top of them,they are not a bunch of workers,they are lawyers and other sweettalkers. Also don't you have to pay money to the unions,it sounds like a fucking extortion to me. Unions make sense for a big production factories and cities where you have a mass of working people that could be fucked. It doesn't make sense for a low count and spread around jobs or for works that are easily replaced. Another thing is that unions are past their useful time,they are a product of the Victorian era.

I work against my best interests, because I want to own the libs LOL
Ои Вуте Вуте,i work for my own interest and don't care about yours :smug:.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

L O L , let's create another layer of management to negotiate with the management. Industry wide unions are cancer, people should group bargain only within their own workplace.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

L O L , let's create another layer of management to negotiate with the management. Industry wide unions are cancer, people should group bargain only within their own workplace.

For my work, that's the case. We have a bargaining committee that negotiates on our behalf with management. Our union is also part of a national chapter.

Destroid

Arcane
Yeah,i do own my house.

Sure in some works union makes sense,but in many it doesn't. Why are so many people so butthurt about that shit i don't get it. Most unions in the end work for the parasites that are on top of them,they are not a bunch of workers,they are lawyers and other sweettalkers. Also don't you have to pay money to the unions,it sounds like a fucking extortion to me. Unions make sense for a big production factories and cities where you have a mass of working people that could be fucked. It doesn't make sense for a low count and spread around jobs or for works that are easily replaced. Another thing is that unions are past their useful time,they are a product of the Victorian era.

Does it help if you think of your union fees like paying for an insurance policy?

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
After thinking about it, just something preventing NDAs from being put in place regarding work conditions would be enough. By my understanding of the current climate, all a prospective union can do is raise an issue for stink on social media and hope the out-of-touch lizardmen who fund the likes of EA notice and demand an explanation. Also, since this is a union based on voluntary membership and not one constituted by the employers or by law, all types of favouritism can occur and we already know how close some people in the game dev scene are to eachother and to journos.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Yeah,i do own my house.

Does it help if you think of your union fees like paying for an insurance policy?

People cry about union fees, but mine are roughly $10 a month. $10 a month for better work conditions? Yes, I'll take that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah,i do own my house.

I don't pay for those too.
:excellent:
It is fascinating how different the culture and thinking about such thing is. Here everyone tries to keep his money for themself and give as little as possible,while in the west people are constantly giving money for what could be things.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
for better work conditions
Do you actually get them,do you see a positive change every few years? Give me a personal example of how the unions had helped you in the last....10 years.....1200 bucks in tax.

I've been at my current job for roughly four years. When I started I was making -- for the simplicity of this example -- $50,000. I joined the union about six months in, as they were in the process of negotiating a company-wide pay raise for employees. The negotiations succeeded, and I saw my pay go from $50K to $62K in a year due to a merit raise (which would've just been to $54K) and the union's negotiations.

Fast forward to year 2.5 of my job. The union voted in new leadership and it negotiated a new contract with management. One of the key topics was vacation time. For a while, many people hired after a certain date received only two weeks of PTO, including sick days. The guild negotiated that every hire would be given three weeks of PTO, with a certain number of days allotted for sick days. That way, if we get sick, we don't need to worry about it eating into our PTO.

Go to year 3.5 of my job, the office equipment on our floor is ridiculously antiquated: old desks, computers and chairs. I knew from week one that I needed my own chair because the one they provided was shit. I bought a new chair and just expensed the company. I also went to my doctor and got a note for a standing desk. No one said a word. Meanwhile, the union negotiated management to upgrade the desks and chairs for everyone else. Within three months, they put in new equipment and provided, with no questions asked, standing desks upon request.

There have been other improvements the union has accomplished, including forcing the company to contribute more to our 401K and better parental leave (for U.S. standards because I know our country has shit parental leave compared to the rest of the world). I am pleased with what they did in a short time.

Other people's mileage may vary.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And you wouldn't have got this if you were not part of the union? Only people that give tax get the benefits or everyone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom