Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The list is surprisingly decent, I'm glad. You have not failed me completely Codex.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Seems like puzzle-heavy games took the most hit - not only Wizardries/W&W but also QfG and HQ had abysmal drops. The dumbing down of the Codex is real. :negative:
Glorified puzzle games aren't RPGs per se either, so it's only natural they suffered an abysmal drop.
Actually, look at the changes I dont know which conclusion to reach.

FNV and Bloodlines, and Dark Souls, rise can be attributed to the rising average in PC hardware that allow us to start enjoying higher level of texture (better tits! asses! faces!).

But using same reasonings wont explain Arcanum and Deus Ex. or the fall of Morrowind.
Formal logic won't make the cut here. Ask yourself first, what does have seemingly different Deus Ex, Arcanum, FNV, BL and Dark Souls in common?
DA:O would probably have fared better if people weren't still reeling from the sequels. It's unfair, but such is the way of the Codex the world.
Or it's just Bioware formula isn't as timeless to pass the test of time.

Kitchen Utensil

Make it a top 250.

:troll:

And I agree, the list is decent.
For example, as much as I dislike The Witcher 3, I think it being represented as 15th is kinda reasonable, because it had some good things and I'm primarily mad at that wasted potential.
I personally think Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls are somewhat underrated, but they're newer, actiony titles, and scoring as high as they did despite that, in a prestigious RPG Codex vote, shows their merit.
Similar thinking can be applied to a lot of the entries, and yeah, my conclusion is: monocled list.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codex: "Witcher 3 is sucky popamole!!!! :argh::argh::argh::argh:"
Witcher 3:
Codex:
o7diGMk.png

Witcher 3:
005.jpg

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly, I like the list more than the previous one even. Most of the games I voted for (with the exception of Fallout: Ressurection) are there, games I wish to play in the near future are also present.

New games are represented.
Old games are represented.
Games from the true renaissance era of RPGs still occupy the top spots.

Turn based games, real time with pause games and action rpgs all got a worthy representation.

Even blobbers, while receiving a hit, still managed to squeeze some Wizardries and M&Ms into the list.

All in all, a very decent list for the modern age.

Last edited:

Thal

Augur
Inaccessible classics and blobbers especially have suffered a terrible hit.

Wizardry 8 10->20
Wizardry VII 15->29
Betrayal at Krondor 16->25
Darklands 18->45
Ultima Underworld 20->37
Might and Magic: World of Xeen 28->40
Realms of Arkania 2 30->42
Ultima IV: 37->51
Might and Magic VII 37->63
Might and Magic III 45->130
Ultima Underworld II 54->93
Wizardry IV 66->136
Lands of Lore 66->143

On the other hand:
Wizardy 1 64->47
Grimoire 22 New
Pool of Radiance 36->26
Elimange: Gothic 59 New

It seems point-buy system led grognards divert their votes to the progenitor of the genre, as well as to make a statement in the form of Grimoire. It is now considered better than Wizardry VII. However, it also seems that the influx of new voters (234->361) as well as inclusion of new arrivals in top 50 (15 of them) indicates a change in the makeup Codex's user base as well as their sensibilities. It would be interesting to comb through this thread and compare join dates with votes and see if this is true.

Edit: Also, the only game in top 25 released before Fallout 1 is Betrayal at Krondor (1993) at top 25 (Pool of Radiance at 26). So it also seems to be a generational shift. Many users weren't simply old enough or weren't even been born when the old classics were released.

Edit 2: Last poll on the other hand included pre-Fallout games Wizardry VII, BaK, Darklands and Ultima Underworld in top 25. Might and Magic VI (25th) was released at year after Fallout, but being part of a long series, it was likely to be played by older users.

Last edited:

nobre

Cipher
Both PoE and D:OS have the same number of votes and points as their sequels. We're reaching levels of balance that shouldn't even be possible. Gutted to see D:OS scoring better than Divine Divinity, clearly this website is going down the toilet.
All in all a decent list.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
However, it also seems that the influx of new voters (234->361) as well as inclusion of new arrivals in top 50 (15 of them) indicates a change in the makeup Codex's user base as well as their sensibilities.

I think we have some culling to do

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
why Might and Magic 6 is ahead of others Might and Magic games ? MM6 has shit combat and full of copy pasted mobs everywhere ! i rather play MMX than that shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom