Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Towers

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
That looks pretty dope for 6 guys/12 months.

I'm not very excited about the Multi-Player aspect, though.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Zep--

hexer

It sounds interesting too!

FAQ

What is Towers?
A fantasy world building game. The core experience is focused on building an ecosystem and town (towers). Keeping the balance between nature and civilization is crucial.

What makes Towers unique?

1. Many survival games out there focus on hoarding and dominance. For Towers, we would like to encourage growing and sharing between players.
2. Games like Rust have an arbitrary server reset every few weeks of gameplay. Towers will have a win and lose condition that will play out in a similar timeline.
3. Trading! If you watch the trailer, you can see the various caravans shots. Trading between players will be crucial to win/reset the server. Players are limited to the resources abundant in the area near where they build their base. This will encourage them to trade with each other (wooden bases trading with ore bases, etc).

What platform will Towers be on?

PC at first and hopefully consoles soon after. Though the details still fall under TBA

At what stage of development is Towers?
It is still in the prototype phase so the full game is not going to be playable anytime soon. We are planning to have closed beta parallel to the development though, so we'll certainly keep this discord in mind when looking for participants. Even though the game release is quite distant, we hope to develop the core mechanics in the closed beta taking in your inputs and feedback.

How many team members created that prototype video?

6 core members in 12 months. It’s actually 5 members but we combined all the various contractors that helped here and there as 1 accumulated person.

What engine Towers run on?

UE4. It’s a beast.

What are the main inspirations for Towers visual?

Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, ancient tribal cultures (African, Mayan, Asian)

What are the main inspirations for Towers gameplay ?

Minecraft, Shadow of the Colossus, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Don’t Starve Together, Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley, Bloodborne, Kingdoms New Land and many others!

Why the name Towers?

It’s just a placeholder for our prototype. The idea is players must find a balance between base building (Towers ) and maintaining the ecosystem (Growing Tree Towers). Do you sacrifice your towering trees to build your tallest towers? Or vice versa?

Who are you guys?

We are the same core crew that made Hawken - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo Hawken was originally meant to be an XBLA, Steam game but there was pressure to change it to F2P. Looking back, it would have been a much better premium game than the F2P version. We hope not to make the same mistake this time around with Towers. We apologize to the Hawken fans for the PS4 version. We didn’t have anything to do with it. Our studio closed in 2013 and the PS4 version was made by another studio.

Is the trailer just fake cinematic stuff?

No, the whole trailer was captured in a “spectator mode". Which means that 90% of what you see in the trailer is network replicated gameplay. All the players in there are us (the devs) running, climbing, shooting, etc. Creatures are AI driven with flock behavior, stampede, flee, hunt and various other behaviors

How many players can be on the server at a given time?

Since Towers fidelity will be quite high, we can only support around 15-25 players. Depending on how well we can optimize the game we may be able to increase the number of players. We hope to deliver a smooth and low lag experience. Are the servers dedicated or peer2peer? Probably a combination of both. We want players to enjoy hosting their own private servers with friends or play solo if they prefer.

Are there NPCs and quests?

Yes, we will have many strange and unique quests that will unravel the lore in our mysterious land. The quests are given by building up relationships with the inhabitants. The Forest God, or the Giant Eyes will give you creative quests and rewards. We plan to reveal many more NPCs over the next few months

What is the Ecosystem gameplay like?

Imagine when you first arrive on a fresh server. A new land. It’ll be pretty barren and there won’t be much life. You must start planting certain shrubs and grass. This will then attract certain small critters. Over time, these critters will help grow larger trees. Which will attract even larger creatures. Eventually players can grow massive Towering Trees that will take much care and effort to grow to their full size. These Towering Trees will then attract the largest beasts of the land. Players can climb on these massive trees and grow even more rare fauna on them. These fauna will then attract rarer critters and creatures. Every plant or creature will have their own unique likes and dislikes. Players must learn these things over time in order to create a balanced biome. It’s about knowledge and caring for these living things. Though over harvesting and hunting to build your base Towers can quickly deplete and destroy a biome. Towers is a game about the balance between Player Towers and Tree Towers.

Who is the composer of Tower's Prototype trailer?

Michael Reola : http://www.michaelreola.com/

The game looks really pretty (albeit blurry) and is a fantastic effort for 6 people over 12 months. But it doesn't show the game at all. This was a guy reading out a list of features that may or may not be in the game, with a series of snapshots that could have been nothing but cutscenes for all we know.

They're good at the grassroots/viral marketing, I'll give them that. At least until the news of the Epic store exclusive hits

hexer

The game looks really pretty (albeit blurry) and is a fantastic effort for 6 people over 12 months. But it doesn't show the game at all. This was a guy reading out a list of features that may or may not be in the game, with a series of snapshots that could have been nothing but cutscenes for all we know.

They're good at the grassroots/viral marketing, I'll give them that. At least until the news of the Epic store exclusive hits

Actually they replied in their FAQ I posted above how 90% of scenes are captured gameplay..

Is the trailer just fake cinematic stuff?

No, the whole trailer was captured in a “spectator mode". Which means that 90% of what you see in the trailer is network replicated gameplay. All the players in there are us (the devs) running, climbing, shooting, etc. Creatures are AI driven with flock behavior, stampede, flee, hunt and various other behaviors

There's no conspiracy and I don't believe the game will play like you're hoping. I don't know it for a fact, I'm just going on probability of virtually every game ever marketed this way

The fact that it's multiplayer makes it even more likely tbh

hexer

I'm a developer too and I understand how they made that video.
Of course, the camera perspective will be different when you control your character but from the details I've seen, it's gameplay recorded from a free camera.
The fact the camera moves around like a movie camera is why it feels "scripted" when in fact it's not.

Tigranes

Arcane
Of course the jury's out on actual gameplay, but it's nice that some people are at least trying to create something really different and gamechanging.

Zeno Clash Zelda is the AAA we need

d1nolore

Savant
Looks pretty. No idea on gameplay, won't hold my breath. With so much invested in visuals it's going to be a tall order to deliver on gameplay and mechanics.

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
I'm a developer too and I understand how they made that video.
Of course, the camera perspective will be different when you control your character but from the details I've seen, it's gameplay recorded from a free camera.
The fact the camera moves around like a movie camera is why it feels "scripted" when in fact it's not.
It's not really a question of making a couple of minutes look good in game. Especially if you have a strong artstyle.
It is about the substance behind that look. Look at how Anthem turned out.

Krice

Arcane
Developer
It's like No Man's Sky and Zelda mixed 50-50. They wear masks probably because it's hard and time consuming to model faces. It looks quite boring, something I would not play myself. But there are people who play No Man's Sky, so it's going to be fine I guess.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I mean isn't this literally No Man's Sky trailer all over again?

YES!

Looks like the exact same shiny pretty garbage that will get certain people all hot under the collar and then be a massively underwhelming cluster-fuck on release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom