Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Hold your horses now, it only beat it because people split their votes between DOS1 and 2, while in the case of Dragonfall it's clearly the best of the recent Shadowrun games.

That's kind of a flaw of the voting system with limited points. Might very well be why Fallout is not #1, since votes are split with Fallout 2.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
The Witcher 3 isn't a great RPG, the truth is that 80% of the edgelords on the Codex claim it's a "shit game" in general.
I think it's rather a "shit game", the gameplay mechanics are terrible, combat is way too easy, potions & other craftables are pointless in comparison to The Witcher 1, etc. Its world mechanics are a shitty copy of Gothic's, not to talk about the terrible monster level gating (higher level monsters get a huge % boost in damage resistance), and it's just too huge. But it's mostly very well written, with interesting quests and some C&C. So, mediocre gameplay, ok RPG, good writing?

I agree more or less with your assessment of the game's qualities. Personally, I did enjoy the story, writing and C&C quite a bit, so I still wouldn't call it "shit". I enjoyed its positive qualities and found its pitfalls rather easy to ignore (like you said, combat is easy anyway) To each his own.

Red Hexapus

Learned
Damn... I've somehow missed that votes from new accounts are not counted. I'm either retarded, over-worked or cannot read (possibly a combination of the three). Seems I just have to wait for the next vote in 5 years...

Anyways, good job on the list felipepepe and everyone :)

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Personally, I did enjoy the story, writing and C&C quite a bit, so I still wouldn't call it "shit".
I mean "shit game" in the sense of gameplay alone. I liked the writing and C&C, and that counts for a lot and even overrides some gameplay shittyness IMO -- and so thinks the Codex since PST is #1 -- but ultimately I couldn't finish it. Too fucking long if you like exploration. Took a break and never came back.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
in witcher you play the role of witcher geralt. In baldurs gate you are bhaalspawn. ın tyranny fatebinder, poe the watcher.
that ROLE is the weakest argument you could make. whats next ? rpgs with classless systems will be excluded?
No, my argument is not "just role". Role is not something meaningful when you don't have other roles.
So my argument is about game allowing you to play different roles in different playthroughs and how good said game is reacting to it.
Roles can differ by many tools in game: story, combat, quest solving, items. Good RPG gives you good tools to play different roles. Creating feeling that your character is subjective actor in the game's world, and not just some plot object.
For example Witcher 2 gives you two different branches for you decisions in the ending of first chapter. Witcher 3 choices and consequnecs are far inferior in it's story.
You can't even change combat roles much: you are still the witcher with a sword. You only choose how much you want to use magic signs and alchemy.
It's not a binary category either. Wither 3 do have RPG elements. But they are shallow and bad. Autolevelling loot, gated mobs, very limited character advancement, very minor story C&C.
Your playthrough of W3 probably don't really differ from mine or anyone else. That's what I meant about different roles.
It's a cool game with beautiful graphics and nice writing, but it's just not doing it's RPG elements well.

laclongquan

Arcane
Codex, the biggest RPG forum in the world : 361 voters.

360+ voters is a very good sample for what we are (a niche gaming audience in a forum) in a specific but not very essential and non-economic action (voting for what games we like, typing them out).

You can imagine us as a politic junkie base who care enough to go to a meeting to be vocal about something not essential. Think about it. Have a meeting. Have an nonessential issue. 360 voices speak up voluntarily and without prompting, speaking in details.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
ELEX voting is a pure nostalgia for mid-2000's. Mediocre ripoff of mediocre Gothic III. Blobbers voting obviously affected by demographic factors (core fans of late 80's games are at least in their mid 40's now).

Wait, people were not supposed to vote based on nostalgia?

Mortmal

Arcane
After all this time, I'm still not sure if the Codex likes ELEX or if this is all part of some grand meme.
Haven't played it yet, but if Risen 2 and 3 are anything to go by...
It's a meme like for grimoire, in all honesty elex is mediocre, do not waste your money . Grimoire was the biggest meme , it is an honest attempt at being a wizardry 7 clone but it doesn't achieve greatness the itemization was terrible and the encounters trivial. Japs are doing better at wizardry now with titles like elminage or even those Nintendo ds titles like etrian odissey.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
ELEX is okay if you like Piranha Bytes style. Quests, exploration, hand placed loot.
It's certainly worse than Gothics 1&2 but better than Risen 2&3

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My impression that PB never made anything better than Gothic 2. It's place in the list is well deserved, but Gothic 3 was so disappointing that I never got to playing any Risen.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You're right that Gothic 2 is their magnum opus, but all their other games have merits, still. Gothic 3 is by far their weakest.

ushas

Savant
Oh no, it's already over :negative:
Not cool felipepepe. When a deadline is announced it's usually till end of that day :argh:

(you're fully free to do as wish as it's your poll and kudos for work... just that when finally decided to vote on codex, oh well, hehe)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I liked ELEX more than Risen 1. Risen was just a shadow of Gothic 2, without many fresh ideas. Just a remake with slightly changed names, because they lost the rights to the original IP.

Elex on the other hand was quite fresh. I liked the crazy worldbuilding, geographical variaty, very different factions, bizarre mutants, post-apocalyptic feel. All those desolate settlements, military bases, research facilities, fragments of documents, recordings from before the comet... Also the ending was not as long, boring and dissapointing as usual Gothic/Risen style dungeon crawl.

Neurohaox

Novice
So Nier: Automata is a hidden gem.
I sort of agree with the dogma considering it non crpg title, but then system shock, witcher, soulsgames and possibly some other titles should be excluded too. Nevertheless, considering it storywise not mechanics (well technically mechanics are there, but you won't have a character sheet, and have predefined character - in the end it is how you define crpg title ) it is a gem though in my humble newfaggish opinion. And i'm actually isometric-school based geezer, yet i find it deserves a spot - most of the time I find it underrated or unknown since it came out on PC without keyboard and mouse support.

SmoothPimp

Educated
I liked the crazy worldbuilding, geographical variaty, very different factions, bizarre mutants, post-apocalyptic feel. All those desolate settlements, military bases, research facilities, fragments of documents, recordings from before the comet...
Kinda like hipster description of modern open-world AAA action / rpg. Which is cool, but isn't it the basics of hatred towards these games?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I am pleased with this list. It's fairly good.
Of course there's one major issue with it.
Witcher 3 is in 15th fucking place but Arx Fatallis is not even in the top 50.
This forum needs an inquisition.

Efe

Erudite
in witcher you play the role of witcher geralt. In baldurs gate you are bhaalspawn. ın tyranny fatebinder, poe the watcher.
that ROLE is the weakest argument you could make. whats next ? rpgs with classless systems will be excluded?
No, my argument is not "just role". Role is not something meaningful when you don't have other roles.
So my argument is about game allowing you to play different roles in different playthroughs and how good said game is reacting to it.
Roles can differ by many tools in game: story, combat, quest solving, items. Good RPG gives you good tools to play different roles. Creating feeling that your character is subjective actor in the game's world, and not just some plot object.
For example Witcher 2 gives you two different branches for you decisions in the ending of first chapter. Witcher 3 choices and consequnecs are far inferior in it's story.
You can't even change combat roles much: you are still the witcher with a sword. You only choose how much you want to use magic signs and alchemy.
It's not a binary category either. Wither 3 do have RPG elements. But they are shallow and bad. Autolevelling loot, gated mobs, very limited character advancement, very minor story C&C.
Your playthrough of W3 probably don't really differ from mine or anyone else. That's what I meant about different roles.
It's a cool game with beautiful graphics and nice writing, but it's just not doing it's RPG elements well.
true witcher 2 is leaps ahead in route difference but w3 has drastic outcomes for its major quest givers and main characters.
afaik there are very few autoleveled loot in w3, unless you mean upgradable equipment and while you get a lot of skill points its not enough to cover everything (though this gets somewhat invalidated by respeccing)

Q

Augur
Patron
I am pleased with this list. It's fairly good.
Of course there's one major issue with it.
Witcher 3 is in 15th fucking place but Arx Fatallis is not even in the top 50.
This forum needs an inquisition.
Witcher3 is 45th and Arx Fatalis is 49th in corret(ed) version (with downvotes).

true witcher 2 is leaps ahead in route difference but w3 has drastic outcomes for its major quest givers and main characters.
afaik there are very few autoleveled loot in w3, unless you mean upgradable equipment and while you get a lot of skill points its not enough to cover everything (though this gets somewhat invalidated by respeccing)
I don't remember drastic differences in W3 storyline. Yes it has 3 endings and some character endings, but most of it postgame. There is some C&C ingame, allright. But that's only RPG elements it have. I can compare W3 to Telltale adventures in that regard.
But in combat and progression it's even worse.
When you find some weapon it will be autoleveled to your level. And most of the loot is complete random. Or at least it was when I played the game. I think it's a shitty system, cause there is no motivation for exploring at all.
You can't upgrade all skills, yes. But the playing style is not really changes if you choose one build or another.

Void_Pickle

Educated
I'm not sure how much stock you can place in the downvotes, since not everyone who voted downvoted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom