Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Kitchen Utensil

I'm not sure how much stock you can place in the downvotes, since not everyone who voted downvoted.

True, but for this particular example (Witcher 3 vs. Arx Fatalis) that doesn't matter much. On the contrary, Witcher 3 would've received even more downvotes compared to Arx Fatalis.

S.torch

Arbiter
I don't remember drastic differences in W3 storyline. Yes it has 3 endings and some character endings, but most of it postgame. There is some C&C ingame, allright. But that's only RPG elements it have. I can compare W3 to Telltale adventures in that regard.
But in combat and progression it's even worse.
When you find some weapon it will be autoleveled to your level. And most of the loot is complete random. Or at least it was when I played the game. I think it's a shitty system, cause there is no motivation for exploring at all.
You can't upgrade all skills, yes. But the playing style is not really changes if you choose one build or another.

I really don't understand your complains. The game you voted the first (Planescape) has a very, very defective combat system to say the least, if I remember correctly, only one of the three finals is the "good one" and you are given a "base-character". In other words, you have a lot of things in common between Planescape and The Witcher, yet you think is best anyway.

You're sure you're not disliking it because is "new"?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here, some of you guys seem to need it:
GUEST_79ec31d6-6b49-47e8-9305-f2dae3f320f9

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
And PS:T could be called a jRPG, something Dark Souls certainly isn't. Some extremists consider System Shock 2 a pure FPS with a tacked-on skill system. I personally consider Jagged Alliance 2 a tactical combat simulator with RPG elements, and not an RPG.

It would just be endless arguing about whether a certain game is part of a certain category or not.

Don't you remember the endless "Deus Ex is an RPG! No, Deus Ex is an FPS with RPG elements! No, Deus Ex is an FPS/RPG hybrid! No, Deus Ex is a First Person Adventure! (The latter is a less-known term Nintendo coined to describe Metroid Prime.)" threads?

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really don't understand your complains. The game you voted the first (Planescape) has a very, very defective combat system to say the least, if I remember correctly, only one of the three finals is the "good one" and you are given a "base-character". In other words, you have a lot of things in common between Planescape and The Witcher, yet you think is best anyway.

You're sure you're not disliking it because is "new"?
PST combat is not it's high point, yes.
But at least you have 3 different classes, which you can mix a little.
You have different stats setups. Which is affecting what you can and can't do in dialogue checks at least.
You can have different party setups.
So, I think, one Nameless One would still differ more from another, than one W3 Geralt form another.
And there is still the question about quality of these tools. In PST we have party combat, with at least some tactical spells. We have hand placed loot, for different Nameless One roles (and different party members).
As the future RPGs, I want games at least have more roleplaying tools like PST, and not like W3.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahh the poll is as expected,the classics are still holding up while the first generation is disappearing from the list. It is a steady decline brought by the influx of a younger generation of RPGfans. Anyway,it is a decent list.

felipepepe how about a few polls in sub genres line action/adventure,rtwp,tb/tactical,blobbers ?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It is a steady decline brought by the influx of a younger generation of RPGfans.
I'm not sure that's the only factor. New games are out, and some have displaced others in our personal top lists, so that also has an influence. Plus, limited points to distribute makes some games fall off the wayside. Between classics and new good games, some previous games are bound to be lost from the list.

Mortmal

Arcane
I had my doubts about this poll but the Witcher-related butthurt made it all worthwhile.
The witcher is coming from a very special country, a country of people staying between themselves, only using their own language in shoutbox, religious fanatics burning harry potter books in the street...Poland. So the butthurt about witcher 3 losing its rank was to be expected.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is a steady decline brought by the influx of a younger generation of RPGfans.
I'm not sure that's the only factor. New games are out, and some have displaced others in our personal top lists, so that also has an influence. Plus, limited points to distribute makes some games fall off the wayside. Between classics and new good games, some previous games are bound to be lost from the list.
Yeah,i agree the points were not enough,it would have been better if they were 30. That way you still get to for those you like the most and have enough to give for a new entries. Everything else got an increase,except the points per dude. I would argue about new games pushing away old classics from any self respecting grognard's list. Still we did get a lot of good RPGs in the past few years.

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Ahh the poll is as expected,the classics are still holding up while the first generation is disappearing from the list. It is a steady decline brought by the influx of a younger generation of RPGfans. Anyway,it is a decent list.

decline is trying to play a game without automap

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

True,they don't make them as they use to. Now RPGs are tailored around auto maps and GPS garbage dots. While in the good old days my son,there was no such shit,NPCs were giving you directions to the place you need to go and the map design was logical and well crafted. Ohhhhh how i have grown old my son,things change and as always the good old days were better!

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
the butthurt about witcher 3 losing its rank
Uhhh, you sure the butthurt is about it losing rank, not being still so high on the list when matched with classics?

Sure it lost a bit to AoD, but aside from that, the top 10 is pretty much inaccessible to recent games. So TW3 going from #1 in 2012-2016 to #15 of all time is not much of a drop really if you start the rank count at 11 for recent games.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Huh, never thought Battle Brothers and Dragon Dogma would make it to Top50. That's pretty cool.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Huh, never thought Battle Brothers and Dragon Dogma would make it to Top50. That's pretty cool.
It is pretty decline in my book. BB is a good turn based combat game,but not a great RPG in general. It is a just a game to sit and just have a few battles. DD is a just choppy PS2/3? jap shit game. I am the most butthurt about Darks souls being in this list at all,it is an insult to all the RPGs out there!

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter

True,they don't make them as they use to. Now RPGs are tailored around auto maps and GPS garbage dots. While in the good old days my son,there was no such shit,NPCs were giving you directions to the place you need to go and the map design was logical and well crafted. Ohhhhh how i have grown old my son,things change and as always the good old days were better!

then stop playing mainstream games and play true quality RPGs like Pillars of Eternity

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

then stop playing mainstream games and play true quality RPGs like Pillars of Eternity
Nah,don't have enough time this days mate. I am too busy playing your mum mate,it will quite the surprise when you try to collect the inheritance.:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom