Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Void_Pickle

Educated
I at least like Dark Souls, even if it's final placement seems a bit high for such a list.

Dragon's Dogma though? I do not understand why people like that game. Sure, your first cyclops might be decently fun, but spread out over a game of its length the combat became very boring.. And there wasn't much else.

Falksi

Arcane
I really want to understand all the bitching about Witcher 3. I just dont understand why Codex (pretend to) hate it so much.

Excellent game with outstanding soundtrack, nice visuals, nice story and good rpg elements. Its a pretty good action rpg.

You need to get a life and move on. If Witcher is not a RPG, the same could be said about Dark Souls and lots of other games on this list.

If TW3 was just another RPG, and hailed as "a good RPG" I'd disagree, but pay it little attention. But much like Skyrim in 2011, the mass populace hail it as THE standard to meet, when it's actually just another step closer popamole gaming.

I hated the music, however everyone's taste is different, but agree the visuals were absolutely brilliant.

But when all said and done it's a sandbox game with shit combat, and absolutely awful RPG elements. I'm just playing through Assasins Creed:Origins, a popamole action game, and even that has more interactive investivation scenes than the TW3's "hold button to solve mystery" approach.

The C&C was wafer thin; most dialogue options weren't actually options, they'd just obtain more information and not affect anything at all (nor give the illusion they were going to); the villages & cities were all pretty much cut-paste; the main quest was dull as fuck after The Bloody Baron; quests usually followed a similar, predictable pattern; the crafting and looting was absolutely worthless as all that mattered was obtaining the Witcher Gear to suit your playstyle; and overall it was an massive but empty mass of nothingness. No real emotion, no real drama, no real excitement. Just a bloke doing his job, but in such a way that it actually felt like a day job and you couldn't wait to clock out and go home.

The expansions addressed a lot of issues, and were way more enjoyable for it. But TW3's main game is, to me, a dangerous game much like Skyrim was, as it encourages devs to follow suit and thus we're now entering an era where Sandbox games are starting to be classed as RPG.

I think everyone who takes up arms against the over-praise TW3 gets is a hero to both this forum, and the gaming community on the whole. They are the true fighters of the noblest cause on Earth - preserving true RPGs.

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
I at least like Dark Souls, even if it's final placement seems a bit high for such a list.

Dragon's Dogma though? I do not understand why people like that game. Sure, your first cyclops might be decently fun, but spread out over a game of its length the combat became very boring.. And there wasn't much else.

i heard Dragon's Dogma have dragons,can someone confirm it ?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Grimoire was the biggest meme , it is an honest attempt at being a wizardry 7 clone but it doesn't achieve greatness the itemization was terrible and the encounters trivial.

WTF are you even talking about? Grimoire itemization is great - and how on Earth are encounters there "trivial"? Are you just making this up as you go?

Japs are doing better at wizardry now with titles like elminage or even those Nintendo ds titles like etrian odissey.

You're either a troll or a dumbfuck.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Grimoire was the biggest meme , it is an honest attempt at being a wizardry 7 clone but it doesn't achieve greatness the itemization was terrible and the encounters trivial.

WTF are you even talking about? Grimoire itemization is great - and how on Earth are encounters there "trivial"? Are you just making this up as you go?

Japs are doing better at wizardry now with titles like elminage or even those Nintendo ds titles like etrian odissey.

You're either a troll or a dumbfuck.
LoL It is fucking obvious that he is a troll.

I really want to understand all the bitching about Witcher 3. I just dont understand why Codex (pretend to) hate it so much.

Excellent game with outstanding soundtrack, nice visuals, nice story and good rpg elements. Its a pretty good action rpg.

You need to get a life and move on. If Witcher is not a RPG, the same could be said about Dark Souls and lots of other games on this list.

snip
Nah mate,the witcher3 is one of the greatest story telling games,it have great level design and immersion. As rpg part,i do agree with you,it was pretty meh at best and don't think it should be that high on classic RPG list. Still it is a fucking great game if you don't really get butthurt about mechanical shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It has, yes. Or at least I remember fighting something pretty large with wings which had some kind of fire attack.

The game is really great, but indeed marred by one giant problem: It is too long, like Void_Pickle said, but with a twist.
Basically, you reach max level about halfway through the game - even if you don't do all the side quests. And from then on, there's nothing new, just maybe some gear to upgrade. That's simply not enough. Besides that, the game has no quick travel, so you walk the same roads over and over and...
I really do like the combat system and how you fight with your companions, but those two problems alone could wear anyone down. Maybe it is as high in that list because people are desperately hoping for a sequel (they indeed are) to fix its problems.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
RPG Codex's Top 12 RPG Series, as voted on the RPG Codex's Best RPGs (2019)

oLAS80m.png

Edit: added more information (number of votes and points per vote), added Risen to the Piranha Byte series and made the image uglier.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

It has, yes. Or at least I remember fighting something pretty large with wings which had some kind of fire attack.

The game is really great, but indeed marred by one giant problem: It is too long, like Void_Pickle said, but with a twist.
Basically, you reach max level about halfway through the game - even if you don't do all the side quests. And from then on, there's nothing new, just maybe some gear to upgrade. That's simply not enough. Besides that, the game has no quick travel, so you walk the same roads over and over and...
I really do like the combat system and how you fight with your companions, but those two problems alone could wear anyone down. Maybe it is as high in that list because people are desperately hoping for a sequel (they indeed are) to fix its problems.

This is pretty much entirely fake news.

It has Dragons yes, the main quest's antagonist is a Dragon. It also has different kinds of smaller versions of it, Drakes, Wyrms and Wyverns. It also has Chimeras, Hydras, Golems, Cyclopes, Ogres, Griffins and Cockatrices.

If anything, the game is too short. To reach max level (200), you have to play through the game multiple times. I have no idea what you're talking about here. Pretty sure it takes multiple playthroughs even in hard mode, where xp gain is doubled. But you shouldn't play in hard mode anyway, because it's a poor afterthought that unblanaces the game. Harder start, which isn't that easy to begin with, but you get overpowered and filthy rich pretty quickly. If the game is too easy, play with your main pawn only or even solo.
You encounter new stuff constantly, and when you're done with the main game, there's still BBI waiting, which also introduces new enemies.
The game does have quick travel which you unlock relatively early. You can even place (up to 10 iirc) Portcrystals anywhere on the map to create your own fast travel network in addition to the existing ones (Cassardis, Gran Soren, BBI).

The game is still underrated at #30, and the possibility of a sequel has nothing to do with it ranking at least respectably, because a sequel will almost certainly be worse: between the almost perfect char creator, the awesome, responsive combat, one of the best D&D inspired bestiaries, the nine vocations, hundreds of skills and augments, dozens of quests, pawn system, layered armor system, hundreds of different armor/clothing parts, weapons, materials and consumables, I'm pretty sure a lot will be missing from a potential sequel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Surely a top 100 list wouldn't play well with the voting style?

We've been forced to make hard choices and exclude games, which compliments a tighter list. If the list expands to a top 100, the back end might be full of titles only a couple of people have voted for.

I believe it should be a Top 2.

From the 3rd place to the last, the decline grows stronger and stronger ...

zool

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2 shows how much of a quality game it is by having one of the highest point/vote ratio :obviously:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is what happens when people don't vote.

That's why most referendums have a validation threshold.

2014 GOTY - 1300 votes

2014 Speshial Olympics - 234 votes
2015 GOTY - 742 votes
2016 GOTY - 800 votes
2017 GOTY - 966 votes
2018 GOTY - 773 votes

2019 Speshial Olympics - 361 votes

Looks like the codex is circling the drain.

Last edited:

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter

2014 GOTY - 1300 votes
2015 GOTY - 742 votes
2016 GOTY - 800 votes
2017 GOTY - 966 votes
2018 GOTY - 773 votes

Codex is in decline,there way too many trolls and shitposters here !

SniperHF

Arcane
ELEX is okay if you like Piranha Bytes style. Quests, exploration, hand placed loot.
It's certainly worse than Gothics 1&2 but better than Risen 2&3

It's a sign of incline from PB given the track they were on for sure.
Unfortunately the hand placed loot part is substantially less interesting in ELEX than even Risen 1, let alone the two good Gothics.
The setting is great, best work since Gothic 1 in that regard.

2014 GOTY - 1300 votes
2015 GOTY - 742 votes
2016 GOTY - 800 votes
2017 GOTY - 966 votes
2018 GOTY - 773 votes

Uh no.

This is like comparing a committee hearing to a floor vote.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This is pretty much entirely fake news.

If anything, the game is too short. To reach max level (200), you have to play through the game multiple times. I have no idea what you're talking about here.
My bad, I remembered wrong.
I did not mean levels, but abilities. After about 30 hours of playing, I had long acquired all abilities there was to acquire for my character and was about halfway through the game.
The prospect of not seeing any significant additions to my abilities any more (sure, levels and gear up the numbers, but that's about it) for the rest of the game made me quit. The game would be in dire need of new abilities to unlock throughout its campaign.

That I remember wrong and thought I had reached max level just shows how insignificant levelling up became then...

The game does have quick travel which you unlock relatively early. You can even place (up to 10 iirc) Portcrystals anywhere on the map to create your own fast travel network in addition to the existing ones (Cassardis, Gran Soren, BBI).
Which isn't nearly enough. I had all many of them placed in locations that you visit most often and was still treading the same grounds over and over and over.

Jamma

Novice

2014 GOTY - 1300 votes
2015 GOTY - 742 votes
2016 GOTY - 800 votes
2017 GOTY - 966 votes
2018 GOTY - 773 votes

The vote count was low because the voting was never published on the front page and was over within a week.
End of the year votes have a specific date so everyone knows about them and can participate, but this one was held at random dates without any warning. It's not really an issue though, the top 50 would have probably stayed the same.

ultra loser

Scholar
>overglorified storyfag game with less dialogue than cuckstar's cowboy shooter in the first spot
>all those old ass clunky blobbers nobody plays anymore
>dark souls in top 221
>FF8 not in top 10
yikes

at least morrowind is behind Gothic 2

Trashos

Arcane

2014 GOTY - 1300 votes
2015 GOTY - 742 votes
2016 GOTY - 800 votes
2017 GOTY - 966 votes
2018 GOTY - 773 votes

Compare it with the previous Top 70 voting numbers, not yearly votings.

Latro

Arcane
new top 10 with shit games removed:

1. fallout
2. deus ex
3. gothic 2
4. AoD
5. Jaggy Ally 2
6. Underrail
7. Gothic 1
8. Grimoire
9. System Shock 2
10. Betrayal at Krondor

pretty good list imo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom