Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Zer0wing

Cipher
felipepepe So you'll accommodate each game in the poll a new review/comment written by others, leave the old ones or won't do it at all?

Void_Pickle

Educated
You can get around that problem by changing your class up through the game. I went mage->assassin?-> mage knight thing in my playthrough. Didn't matter enough though, and each time combat quickly became tedious.

I don't fundamentally have a problem with the traversal, but I don't recall exploration being very rewarding.. which definitely hurt it.

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
>overglorified storyfag game with less dialogue than cuckstar's cowboy shooter in the first spot
>all those old ass clunky blobbers nobody plays anymore
>dark souls in top 221
>FF8 not in top 10
yikes

at least morrowind is behind Gothic 2

Now hold up there a second ! its me who should be shitposting not you !

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

I at least like Dark Souls, even if it's final placement seems a bit high for such a list.

Dragon's Dogma though? I do not understand why people like that game. Sure, your first cyclops might be decently fun, but spread out over a game of its length the combat became very boring.. And there wasn't much else.

i heard Dragon's Dogma have dragons,can someone confirm it ?
It has, yes. Or at least I remember fighting something pretty large with wings which had some kind of fire attack.

The game is really great, but indeed marred by one giant problem: It is too long, like Void_Pickle said, but with a twist.
Basically, you reach max level about halfway through the game - even if you don't do all the side quests. And from then on, there's nothing new, just maybe some gear to upgrade. That's simply not enough. Besides that, the game has no quick travel, so you walk the same roads over and over and...
I really do like the combat system and how you fight with your companions, but those two problems alone could wear anyone down. Maybe it is as high in that list because people are desperately hoping for a sequel (they indeed are) to fix its problems.

This is pretty much entirely fake news.

If anything, the game is too short. To reach max level (200), you have to play through the game multiple times. I have no idea what you're talking about here.
My bad, I remembered wrong.
I did not mean levels, but abilities. After about 30 hours of playing, I had long acquired all abilities there was to acquire for my character and was about halfway through the game.
The prospect of not seeing any significant additions to my abilities any more (sure, levels and gear up the numbers, but that's about it) for the rest of the game made me quit. The game would be in dire need of new abilities to unlock throughout its campaign.

That I remember wrong and thought I had reached max level just shows how insignificant levelling up became then...

Fair enough. But there are 9 vocations you can max out, which is impossible to do in 30 hours, because you don't earn Discipline anywhere near fast enough. Trying out and maxing different vocations to earn augments (which carry over between vocations) is a huge part of the game. But even if you just try a few, the number of different play styles the game offers is pretty great, even without taking your pawn into account (I mostly play the game solo).

The game does have quick travel which you unlock relatively early. You can even place (up to 10 iirc) Portcrystals anywhere on the map to create your own fast travel network in addition to the existing ones (Cassardis, Gran Soren, BBI).
Which isn't nearly enough. I had all many of them placed in locations that you visit most often and was still treading the same grounds over and over and over.

:prosper:

The map is pretty fucking small.
So yeah, the quick travel implementation isn't the problem, the small map is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Thanks for the good work felipepepe !!

Forgot to vote lol.

Same as last time: the list as a whole is OK, but the respective positions... aren't. That top 10 is all sorts of fucked up for a community that's supposed to be crpg connoisseurs n shieeet.

Positions of certain games (for example Age of Decadence, Grimoire, Elex, Shadowrun) unfortunately show that many people do not take this voting thing very seriously or just lack exposure. Or both.

There is also very visible decline of console action games with rpg elements gaining more and more ground, but that's to be expected and I guess doesn't really surprise anyone.

Biggest surprise for me is FNV actually dropping (marginally, but still). I was quite certain that it will become no 1 crpg of all time according to codex around now or top3 at the very least.

Zer0wing

Cipher
As a side note - it is a shame that Ultima Underworld I & (especially!) II suffered such a huge downfall in the ratings. They're not that inaccessible, being early 1990s games and calling them dungeon crawlers in short of an insult, they're actual Action-RPGs, damn it!

Mortmal

Arcane
Grimoire was the biggest meme , it is an honest attempt at being a wizardry 7 clone but it doesn't achieve greatness the itemization was terrible and the encounters trivial.

WTF are you even talking about? Grimoire itemization is great - and how on Earth are encounters there "trivial"? Are you just making this up as you go?

Japs are doing better at wizardry now with titles like elminage or even those Nintendo ds titles like etrian odissey.

You're either a troll or a dumbfuck.
I spent enough hours on grimoire to judge it, everything is too easy , trivial, encounters were frozen and dispatched in a few rounds. I played it at release maybe he fixed it, but even if he did it was unacceptable to release in that state. You can find passionate post about elminage by aweigh on those very own forums,i dont see similar posts about grimoire , japs must be doing something right. Am i a dumbfuck ? Maybe i should be worried, you shown your expertise on dumbfuckery in the bitcoin thread, lot of it .

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Grimoire was the biggest meme , it is an honest attempt at being a wizardry 7 clone but it doesn't achieve greatness the itemization was terrible and the encounters trivial.

WTF are you even talking about? Grimoire itemization is great - and how on Earth are encounters there "trivial"? Are you just making this up as you go?

Japs are doing better at wizardry now with titles like elminage or even those Nintendo ds titles like etrian odissey.

I spent enough hours on grimoire to judge it, everything is too easy , trivial, encounters were frozen and dispatched in a few rounds. I played it at release maybe he fixed it, but even if he did it was unacceptable to release in that state. You can find passionate post about elminage by aweigh on those very own forums,i dont see similar posts about grimoire , japs must be doing something right. Am i a dumbfuck ? Maybe i should be worried, you shown your expertise on dumbfuckery in the bitcoin thread, lot of it .

its not fixed,grimoire is unfinished full of bugs and mediocre content,don't bother with that game.

I abstained from voting because I have backlogs with relevant contenders. A great deal has happened in the last 5 years of the RPG genre which I simply haven't played. I felt like voting would have skewed and diluted the results.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Like some others said, I kind of like the idea of a top 100 just so Oblivion can be on there near the bottom and annoy some casuals who stumble upon it.

Anyway, solid list. At least half the top ten list would be on my personal top ten list, and you can't be mad about that.

Trashos

Arcane
Biggest surprise for me is FNV actually dropping (marginally, but still). I was quite certain that it will become no 1 crpg of all time according to codex around now or top3 at the very least.

FNV? As in, Fallout New Vegas? Isn't it up one spot from #8 to #7?

buffalo bill

Arcane
Damn, this list is crap compared to the previous one. TW3 at 15? Both Pillars games in the top 70? Darklands drops twenty seven places? Wow.

Is it possible to institute an exam that Codex members must pass before they can vote in these threads, so we don't get crappy modern RTwP Baldur's Gate clones or action games polluting our lists? Codex voter ID laws maybe?

Plato was right, democracy is a tyranny of degenerate appetites.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mission accomplished for me. Max-voted five games, all five are in, with the lowest at Nr. 30.

The reason I max-voted Grimoire is because how intertwined it is with the RPG Codex itself. It would simply have been Wrong to exclude it IMO, hence the points.

We have a Problem, however:

RPG Codex's Top 12 RPG Series, as voted on the RPG Codex's Best RPGs (2019)

TxAbLtp.png

What the hell is this crap?!!

You're lumping together games that have no purpose being lumped together.

I'm talking about the Fallout series. Split that tally into two groups: Interplay/Black Isle-era, and Bethesda-era.

While I can argue for further splits in just the games seen here, the gap is not as wide there as with the two Fallout-eras.

Mortmal

Arcane

its not fixed,grimoire is unfinished full of bugs and mediocre content,don't bother with that game.
Its good there's still codexers with balls who speak their mind against the crowd .

Deleted member 7219

Damn, this list is crap compared to the previous one. TW3 at 15? Both Pillars games in the top 70? Darklands drops twenty seven places? Wow.

Is it possible to institute an exam that Codex members must pass before they can vote in these threads, so we don't get crappy modern RTwP Baldur's Gate clones or action games polluting our lists? Codex voter ID laws maybe?

Plato was right, democracy is a tyranny of degenerate appetites.

Edgy tryhard people who joined less than 3 years ago thinking they know the Codex.

:nocountryforshitposters:

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm talking about the Fallout series. Split that tally into two groups: Interplay/Black Isle-era, and Bethesda-era.

While I can argue for further splits in just the games seen here, the gap is not as wide there as with the two Fallout-eras.

What would that accomplish? You would have a Fallout "Bethesda" series sitting above Wizardry with 90%+ of points belonging to a game developed by Obsidian. Not really informative.

There are 22 new games in top 72, but many good rpgs with an accepted relevance in rpg history fall more than these 22 places... Darklands and Ultima V fall 30 positions, Ultima Underworld II fall 39, Geneforge 34 or Wasteland 41. Other less revolutionary but decent games in previous codex list also fall more than 22 places: Divine Divinity 34, Albion 62, M&M III 85!

Also, most of those games not only fall in positions but in votes! In a poll with +55% votes/voters Darklands or TToEE obtained far less votes than in the previous poll. In the new top 20, only Fallout 2 received less votes (-27 or -7.5%) in 2019.

As Thal said blobberists vote to Grimoire or Wizardry I could explain a great part of M&M and Wizardrys decline. But what about Darklands, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Ultima V, Wasteland or Geneforge?

V_K

Arcane
But what about Darklands, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Ultima V, Wasteland or Geneforge?
Well personally I removed Darklands from my vote (voted for it in the original poll, didn't this time) partly to make space for some newer games, partly because my tastes have changed somewhat in the past 5 years - namely, I stopped enjoying CYOA sequences and started appreciating blobbers more.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a consequence of the voting system. I'm not going to pile on the bitching, but suffice it to say that less popular games suffer exorbitantly. For the games few people have played to be rated fairly in the poll, those who have played them would have to vote strategically, and many people, including myself, don't bother to do so. If I had been given 100 points, Ultima V would've gotten some, but as it stands I had none to spare for it, which means that as far as the numbers are concerned I like it exactly as much as I like Dragon Age Inquisition.

ToEE has no business in the top 20, however. And while Darklands should've been higher on the list, I'll be damned if it deserves any of my precious points.

Last edited:

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
It's a consequence of the voting system. I'm not going to pile on the bitching, but suffice it to say that less popular games suffer exorbitantly. For the games few people have played to be rated fairly in the poll, those who have played them would have to vote strategically, and many people, including myself, don't bother to do so. If I had been given 100 points, Ultima V would've gotten some, but as it stands I had none to spare for it, which means that as far as the numbers are concerned I like it exactly as much as I like Dragon Age Inquisition.

ToEE has no business in the top 20, however. And while Darklands should've been higher on the list, I'll be damned if it deserves any of my precious points.

the voting system should have been like that:

your fav 10 RPGs in order:

1 = 10 points
2 = 9 points
3= 8 points
4= 7 points
5= 6 points

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I spent enough hours on grimoire to judge it, everything is too easy , trivial, encounters were frozen and dispatched in a few rounds. I played it at release maybe he fixed it, but even if he did it was unacceptable to release in that state.

Claiming that Grimoire is too easy shows that you are a complete dumbfuck. And yeah, there were a couple exploits that have been nerfed a long time ago. But none of that was "unacceptable", you fucking moron, or do you always judge a game on its unpatched vanilla state?

You can find passionate post about elminage by aweigh on those very own forums,i dont see similar posts about grimoire

Again, what are you talking about? The passionate posts about Grimoire are in the Grimoire subforum. Or where did you expect to find them?

You're not just a shitposter but also a lying piece of shit. octavius was right about you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom