Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
It has, yes. Or at least I remember fighting something pretty large with wings which had some kind of fire attack.

The game is really great, but indeed marred by one giant problem: It is too long, like Void_Pickle said, but with a twist.
Basically, you reach max level about halfway through the game - even if you don't do all the side quests. And from then on, there's nothing new, just maybe some gear to upgrade. That's simply not enough. Besides that, the game has no quick travel, so you walk the same roads over and over and...
I really do like the combat system and how you fight with your companions, but those two problems alone could wear anyone down. Maybe it is as high in that list because people are desperately hoping for a sequel (they indeed are) to fix its problems.

Dark Arisen has literal gems you can place around the map that you can teleport to. You literally set your own fast travel points, retard.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's a consequence of the voting system. I'm not going to pile on the bitching, but suffice it to say that less popular games suffer exorbitantly. For the games few people have played to be rated fairly in the poll, those who have played them would have to vote strategically, and many people, including myself, don't bother to do so. If I had been given 100 points, Ultima V would've gotten some, but as it stands I had none to spare for it, which means that as far as the numbers are concerned I like it exactly as much as I like Dragon Age Inquisition.
It's a poll for the best RPGs, not for the "kinda ok, would maybe give more points if I had" RPGs. So if 12 people love Nier: Automata enough to give it 4 or 3 points each, it should definitely be higher than the game 11 people gave only 1-2 points.

The original goal was precisely to stop the cargo cult & poser votes, to force people to put their points where their mouth is. And I still think it's very good at that.

Rev

Arcane
The top 50 is not so bad, good for the little incline of BG2 and especially that of Gothic, that has gained almost ten positions, while Gothic 2 has managed to secure a place in the top 10, which is great.

I don't understand why some games are on the list, tho: JRPGs shouldn't be there (I'm not talking about games like Dragon's Dogma or Dark Souls, but Nier Automata and the like), but then I've seen that even Crusader Kings II is there... like wtf? It's a grand strategy game and I've never seen anyone claim that it's a RPG or anything near before.

Besides this, the top 10 is quite good and it contains a lot of the most important RPGs of the past, both turn-based, in real time or RTwP, both focused on combat, narration or exploration (or a mix of all). Also, it was fun to witness the butthurt caused by The Witcher 3. :lol:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
What would that accomplish? You would have a Fallout "Bethesda" series sitting above Wizardry with 90%+ of points belonging to a game developed by Obsidian. Not really informative.

Is truth a subjective concept to you?

The "informative" part would be to highlight the 'decline' - that Bethesda's Fallout games, despite their numerous faults, managed to rate this high among the RPG Codex, primarily due to one of their games. The two eras (and developers and time elapsed and all that) are so far apart that only Bethestards would even think of trying to lump them together, because it would make them look better. Are you a Bethestard?

It's a poll for the best RPGs, not for the "kinda ok, would maybe give more points if I had" RPGs. So if 12 people love Nier: Automata enough to give it 4 or 3 points each, it should definitely be higher than the game 11 people gave only 1-2 points.

The original goal was precisely to stop the cargo cult & poser votes, to force people to put their points where their mouth is. And I still think it's very good at that.

Since you're here, I might as well try to ask my questions:

1: Why was this particular poll not announced well ahead of schedule like many others before it?
2: This poll was not even announced on the RPG Codex front page. Why is that? Ineptitude? Whose ineptitude then?
3: Why the short window for voting?
4: Why the BizarroWorld-esque method of voting? This is stupid and I think you know it. It makes your job easier, sure... but beyond that?

In short: Hold! What you are doing is wrong. Why are you doing this?

A lot of us seasoned Codexers have learned from recent elections worldwide that polls cannot be trusted, and there are too many things about this one that set off alarms. Hence this post.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Since you're here, I might as well try to ask my questions:

1: Why was this particular poll not announced well ahead of schedule like many others before it?
2: This poll was not even announced on the RPG Codex front page. Why is that? Ineptitude? Whose ineptitude then?
3: Why the short window for voting?
4: Why the BizarroWorld-esque method of voting? This is stupid and I think you know it. It makes your job easier, sure... but beyond that?

In short: Hold! What you are doing is wrong. Why are you doing this?

1. Because I got a long holiday and decided to do it. And I don't usually announce polls "well ahead of schedule", I just do them when I feel like it.
2. Every time I make the yearly GOTY vote, people complain it gets too many non-Codexers. So this time it was only for registered users who actually browse the forums.
3. 10 days is not short. We had 371 people voting, which is a huge number. Last day only had 5 new votes, so clearly extending the deadline wouldn't change much.
4. I just wrote it above. Not only it's the same system as the previous poll, but I think it's a good system to get real results, instead of people just rating old classics 5/5 to look cool.

A lot of us seasoned Codexers have learned from recent elections worldwide that polls cannot be trusted, and there are too many things about this one that set off alarms. Hence this post.
Ah yes, fear my evil agenda and the millions I'm making on the back of the seasoned Codexers. :roll:

Humanophage

Arcane
Here is the fanboy situation. Fanboy rank = rank by average points per voter. Fanboy advantage = how many ranks a game would gain if rankings were calculated based on averages, compared to its current rank. I exclude games with fewer than 5 voters.

NbVKXGA.gif

Top fanboy rank advantage:
80 Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
64 Prey
63 Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World
59 Dungeon Master
58 Elminage: Gothic
55 Sengoku Rance
54 Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
53 Gothic 3
48 NieR: Automata
47 Space Rangers: HD

The only top-30 games with a positive fanboy advantage are:
12 Pool of Radiance
9 Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
3 Jagged Alliance 2
3 Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
1 Wizardry 8

The most disadvantaged are:
-61 Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
-51 Betrayal at Krondor
-50 Dragon Age: Origins
-49 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
-49 Baldur's Gate
-49 The Witcher
-45 System Shock 2
-43 Neverwinter Nights 2
-43 ELEX
-40 Icewind Dale

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I like that, it shows that even a niche game like Elminage: Gothic can get decent results if the fans love it enough, which would never happen in most popularity polls. Same reason why I usually use a bayesian average in the GOTY polls.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The "informative" part would be to highlight the 'decline' - that Bethesda's Fallout games, despite their numerous faults, managed to rate this high among the RPG Codex, primarily due to one of their games. The two eras (and developers and time elapsed and all that) are so far apart that only Bethestards would even think of trying to lump them together, because it would make them look better. Are you a Bethestard?

You can imagine a virtual Fallout-"Bethesda" (really Obsidian) series entry between The Elder Scrolls and Wizardry if you want.

Of all Fallout series 1161 points, only 2 points came from a Bethesda developed game. The list clearly shows that as Bethesda develops Fallout, the series points tend to 0. How does that make Bethesda look better?

If I really wanted to make Bethesda look better I would have lumped F:NV and Fallout 3 together with the The Elder Scrolls in a "Bethesda Open World Series" like I did with Piranha Bytes.

cruel

Cipher
So, top console based RPG poll when?

Also, the first list was clearly the best top rpg list on the internet. With the results of second list, almost everybody admits that it's again very good. If both of lists are good, this proves that the voting system works well and should not be changed. The only thing I would consider next time is slight increase in the amount of points to distribute, maybe 30 instead of 25. Top 10 would stay the same.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

croitav

I hate 3D graphics
let see how games that were declared as incline games by the codex fared in this poll:

banner saga -> game that codexers declared as incline game , it was so inclined game that month when it was released was month of incline:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/january-of-incline-the-banner-saga-released.89123/

1 point , place 221!

neo scavenger -> another majestic incline game, codexers fapped to this incline game like crazy : place 78

ftl, another majestic incline game according to codex : place 203

and mamy more "incline games" with abysmal places e.g
paper sorcerer place 221
grimrock place 186
kotc place 58 :lol:

and last but not least, my personal favorite: Serpent in the staglands

Codexers spend fucking 5 years fapping like crazy to this shit game, oh so awesome pixel art gfx, oh so awesome rtwp, oh so awesome devs, oh so awesome majestic incline game -> 0 fucking points

That's right, read my lips codex: ZERO POINTS.

Codexers you are a fucking joke.

8 games with greatest increase in votes, 2014-2019:

Deus Ex: +149 votes (+116%)
Vampire TM: +136 votes (+57%)
New Vegas: +121 votes (+74%)
Gothic II: +107 votes (+72%)
Baldur's Gate 2: +102 votes (+31%)
Dark Souls 1: +87 votes (+84%)
Gothic I: +86 votes (+155%)
Arcanum: +74 votes (+24%)

Total : 862 votes

To compare, top 8 new games in the list: 935 votes. Only 73 votes more.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I like that, it shows that even a niche game like Elminage: Gothic can get decent results if the fans love it enough, which would never happen in most popularity polls. Same reason why I usually use a bayesian average in the GOTY polls.
Nah i disagree with your goty,as you well know. It should be only one option and only codexers should vote. Tho in the end both of our polls end up interesting and informative.

I think that the fact that some new games managed to get to the list is a good sign for the future. Just 9 years ago you woudln't believe that any serious top RPG list could realistically have that many new entries if any at all.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
4. I just wrote it above. Not only it's the same system as the previous poll, but I think it's a good system to get real results, instead of people just rating old classics 5/5 to look cool.

I support this agenda. People should only vote for games they've actually played and enjoyed.

And if some people boycott voting, well, they're just shooting themselves in a leg and can enjoy living the rest of their days sealed in a time capsule.

Gregz

Arcane
the fact that some new games managed to get to the list is a good sign for the future.

It's a sign of decline, and increasing inaccessibility of older games to newer audiences.

Very few of the new games that 'made the list' offer better gameplay over the older classics they've displaced. They're just easier to install and run for the technologically inept. Casuals, newfags, and graphics whores have arrived and made their mark. Except for a very few exceptions, the last ten years has been a decade of shovelware.

Last edited:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
let see how games that were declared as incline games by the codex fared in this poll:

banner saga -> game that codexers declared as incline game , it was so inclined game that month when it was released was month of incline:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/january-of-incline-the-banner-saga-released.89123/

1 point , place 221!

neo scavenger -> another majestic incline game, codexers fapped to this incline game like crazy : place 78

ftl, another majestic incline game according to codex : place 203

and mamy more "incline games" with abysmal places e.g
paper sorcerer place 221
grimrock place 186
kotc place 58 :lol:

and last but not least, my personal favorite: Serpent in the staglands

Codexers spend fucking 5 years fapping like crazy to this shit game, oh so awesome pixel art gfx, oh so awesome rtwp, oh so awesome devs, oh so awesome majestic incline game -> 0 fucking points

That's right, read my lips codex: ZERO POINTS.

Codexers you are a fucking joke.

This argument is absurd and retarded. 300+ votes and not a single soul listed this game. NOT A SINGLE PERSON.

300*25 = 7500 opportunities for this game to appear and not a single vote. Maybe this game is not that good, right?

About FTL: I just think most people dont see this game as a RPG. Is that simple. The game is brilliant indeed and deserves a better place in any list. This is clearly a deviation in the results.

I dont know how accurate felipepepe is willing to get: maybe this is good enough. If he wants to see a 100% perfect result, there are some things to discuss and maybe improve/ change:

- could be good to investigate and maybe let people re-vote games that are climbing or falling 20+ positions.

- battle brothers, FTL and other roguelikes/ strategy games should be in this list?

- maybe we missed an important title?

But, then, maybe the results will look fake: artificial. Idk.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

This system of voting simply encourages a portion of voters who can't be bothered to play RPGs made before 1998 and don't play many RPGs released after 2004, but they each have the same pool of 25 votes that they divide amongst a dozen or so games. On the other hand, people who actually appreciate RPGs, whether the many classics from the early-80s to mid-90s or the better titles of the current hemi-semi-demi-Renaissance, spread their 25 votes over a vastly larger number of RPGs. The best vote ever held by the RPG Codex was the grand 2012-2016 contest in which each voter could rate each and every RPG played from that period, with a public accounting of the results.

Void_Pickle

Educated
This is choice and consequence. You can't just have all of the games.

Anyone thinking that the voting system is to blame for the results not living up to their expectations is just fooling themselves anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom