Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shumps thread: let's shoot and dodge!

Silentstorm

Learned
Doubt this thread will get many people talking, but hey, why not make one since i happen to like shumps?

I don't know, there's just something about their simplicity that i find endearing, there's no tutorial or as much care about stats, you just start the game and you go around levels being challenged as you blow stuff up and dodge right from the start, and yet, for such a simple looking genre, i have spent hours playing some shumps here and there just trying to beat some at a skill level i would be happy with.

So, anyways, i bought Darius Burst during the Golden Week sale, didn't buy any DLC though, but Darius Burst seems to have tons of content already.

As for what shump i am playing?

ZeroRanger, God, i really love this game, it's so freaking good and cool!

So, what games are you guys playing or are your favorites in this genre?

Arulan

Cipher
I've been playing Aleste recently. I've made it to level 5 (of 6) a few times now.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I never felt at home in bullet hells but I remember liking Galaxian, Raptor, Tyrian, Major Stryker, Menace and Galactix.

Edit: This made me want to play some Galaxian. Unlike many other 80s games this game still looks and plays great in the current year.

yfEIwxd.png
XyhurAX.png

k6deDjj.png

IibzRsp.png

9gsGpOD.png

0m5vA9w.png

Curse those suicidal space invaders.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
R-Type 1 & 2. The two coolest space shmups ever made imo.

As far as more modern games, the Serious Sam titles are basically shmups in first-person.

Silentstorm

Learned
R-Type 1 & 2. The two coolest space shmups ever made imo.
Those two got a remake with R-Type Dimensions Ex which has the original versions and 3D remakes that are suprisingly good.

Anyways, lot of love for western shumps suprisingly, then again, Tyrian 2000 and Jets N Guns aren't bad, anyways, since people seem to like older games in the genre from what i can tell, Super Hydorah is one that i heartily recommend:
ss_053253fb5c50a708bd76576341e734b1ce5d1f2e.jpg

Judgement Silversword is also pretty damn cool:
ss_c4d703de4b18a8b79fb196dbe47cf91321648f39.jpg

It's basically a port/compilation of Wonderswan games to more modern systems and more optimized and man, these two games are pretty damn fun.

Oh, and i can talk about bullet hells as well, but that doesn't seem to be of much interest to people here, i like them, but they tend to focus on other skills, AKA, learning hitboxes and how to dodge lots of bullets, rather than the classic "Everything is out to kill you, so we won't fill the screen with bullets or it would be impossible" kind of games.

They're just a different style, funny thing, reading comments on other places makes it seem like people who are used to games like Gradius and R-Type find bullet hells impossible, but people who are used to bullet hells like the ones from CAVE, Touhou, Crimzon Clover and many others find those games like Gradius and Aleste a lot harder...yeah, like i said, bullet hell or classic style shumps require different skills that don't necessarily always translate well to each other, just find it funny how fans of both styles tend to find the opposite style to be the much harder one.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I haven't touched SHMUPS in years, and very few of them interest me today, especially bullet-hells.

But I did play a fair lot of them through the years. Most of them aren't worth mentioning, but some of the better ones remember are R-Type (I have yet to play any of the sequels), Gradius/Nemesis, Tyrian (of course) and my personal favorite Parodius (and its sequels).

A few others I recall playing are Xevious, Slap Fight, ESP.Ra.De and P-47 Thunderbolt.

Silentstorm

Learned
Yeah, that's what it feels like, the golden age of Shumps where they were played the most, the days of Gradius and R-Type, are gone, and while other developers and series got some sucess, CAVE and Touhou come to mind, they didn't bring people into trying more of the genre.

Still, these mentions of Tyrian 2000 remind me of one thing, part of the reason why that game is so beloved is that your ship can take more than one hit and there is more variety to the game, offering something more to most people, but i think the fact it lets people take hits and make the game easier for themselves is part of the charm, which reminds me of the recent shump ZeroRanger, a game that started as some guys deciding to do a game based on a limited palette and seeing how far they could go:
ss_47d19f7e17273d4cb098de4f1be73b337967c5f5.jpg

Don't worry, it looks much better in motion, anyways, the developers then started thinking "You know what, a lot of shumps nowadays are really hard, demand maybe too much of players or are too overwhelming, let's make it appeal more to newcomers!" and they went with it, mainly, YOU CAN START AT ANY STAGE, as long as you got to it, it doesn't matter if you died right at the start of that level, you get the option to start from there with the same number of lives you would have at the start of the game and all the continues, not what you had at the first playthrough you got to a level.

You can also choose any weapon layout, there are checkpoints and best of all?

When i say every level, i do mean it, you can even just start at the final level which is just the final boss battle with all the lives and weapons you want AND you can still get the true ending, none of that CAVE BS where you must beat the game with no continue to get to the final stage and boss, oh no, ZeroRanger allows you to just start from the last boss(as long as you got to that level at least once), beat it and then still allow you to go to the actual final boss if you want to, and there are lots of secrets and cycles that change the story and setting after you beat the game to add more replay value.

Basically, if you don't want to play a shump from the start again and again to beat it but also don't feel like just cheapening things by putting quarters, ZeroRanger has got you covered, you still need to beat the stages, but you can start whenever you want and still see and experience everything.

Also, there are two ships, but when you unlock one ship's weapon, it also unlocks the respective weapon in the same tier of the other ship, so you don't need to replay the game twice to unlock all the guns, you can get to the final stage with only one ship, then pick the other and it will be fully upgraded with all the options, like i said, ZeroRanger was made with newcomers in mind while still allowing the hardcore crowd to play like they want to.

Kitchen Utensil

I'm a Toaplan/Cave guy.
My favourites are Batsugun, Tatsujin Oh/Truxton 2, DonPachi, DoDonPachi, DoDonPachi DaiOuJou, Ketsui and Mushi Futari.

I don't enjoy most horis for some reason, but people who like the R-Types should give X-Multiply a try. Great little game from the same devs.

Edit:
Probably the most relaxing of them :f

Last edited by a moderator:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Legendary Wings (NES)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsI848vo5Uw (review... plus boobies..I guess)

Spent SOOOOO much time on this game playing controller switching on death with my younger cousin.

Best moment was when my cousin had all the power-ups and screamed "LOOK, I AM A GOLDEN GOD!". (The guy did turn golden like...)

We still laugh at that to this day.

Zep--

Silentstorm

Learned
If you like CAVE, then Crimzon Clover is one hell of a game.

Oh, and how could i forget Shumps Skill Test?

For those who don't know, it's pratically Wario Ware:Shmup edition and it's...fun, not exactly the greatest game ever but still fun, and it's about teaching or training people in skills used in shumps in the form of mini games and it goes from the classics like Space Invaders to bullet hells.

Again, not exactly a game one should rush to get, but still interesting.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Silkworm:

Swiv:

Apydia:

R-type:

All on Amiga, i always prefered horizontal.

Silentstorm

Learned
Speaking of computer games, Hyper Sentinel is an Uridium clone available on Steam and Switch:
ss_433e95b19aac5221211641a90bbcd8579b584c85.jpg

In that it's literally an Uridium clone and they don't try to hide it, if you go the options menu, you can even make the game look like a Commodore 64 or ZX Spectrum game which is a cool feature.

Silentstorm

Learned
Oh, that's pretty cool!

Shame i bought that game when i could have gotten it for free, but yeah, if someone remembers Uridium and they like it, Hyper Sentinel is worth getting, particularly now that it's free.

Falksi

Arcane
Ah Uridium, remember it well, used to love it.

Shumps are fucking BRILLIANT IMO. I love the fucking things. Nothing in gaming gets the blood rushing like an intense blast back by thumping tunes & chaotic gameplay.

These are a few of my personal faves from over the years:

Firetrack - BBC Micro
maxresdefault.jpg

R-Type - Various
R-Type-Master-System.png

Thunderforce 3 - Megadrive
il_570xN.1038436250_217f.jpg

Biometal - SNES
bio-metal-08.png

Smash TV - SNES
b25066c138959c0160a1b3638f9f0b49.jpg

UN Squadron/Area 88 - SNES
unsquadron-spot2.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom