Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I understand how companies that are pandering to those idiots are going out of business - seems to correlate with the stuff I've studied in Economics 101.

Why and how such game "publications" are still in business though is something that's beyond my understanding
Most likely supported by NGOs and globalist propaganda money. I doubt that anyone is expecting to turn profit on such garbage,they are doing it to brainwash retarded people.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trackmania might actually be a fun game.

EDIT A DAY LATER:

Tried the demo for Trackmania Lagoon. I was confronted with a web.retard display of options with incomprehensable glyphs and big squares. After giving away my personal data to a third party I adusted graphics and sound to tone down the music and max all the pretty stuff. I couldn't for the life of me find out how to rebind my keys or anything.

So after a few super slow updates on my large pipe I tried to play the game. Single player on a track would be nice but no such options. I hit the only 'Play' button I could find and was in some cheap FPS made for consoles. Very disappointed, I was expecting to be a racing a car in loop-de-loops over a tropical island like Hot Wheels from my childhood days. Okay, I guess it's some sort of shooter game. Maybe I downloaded the wrong demo?

You'd expect in the rare case when some company actually makes a demo these days that they'd want to give the best first impressions they actually can.

Do you remember the days of the Doom demo?

You install, then you get a Main Menu with a simple list of options using English 'words' from the top down reading left to right. No sign-ins, cryptic icons, no excruciatingly slow connections and downloads from the internet. Just basic stuff, like 'New Game', 'Multiplayer', 'Load/Save', 'Options' and 'Quit'.

Anyways, uninstalled, it was a waste of twenty minutes of my Saturday, no big deal.

you might have picked the wrong demo (perhaps shootmania by the same devs). I've spent quite a lot of time playing the free trackmania game (called Nation, if I remember right), which had no registration needed. It's fun if you like solo time trial with looping and big-ass jumps; it also had an extensive map editor.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I find it difficult to believe anyone would trust a single thing Bioware representatives say after their big original reveal of Anthem was just a whole lot of smoke and mirrors in the first place. They are not above obfuscating and lying to keep the image up. Anthem's fate is entirely in EA's hands and no is asking Bioware anything.

They've been caught in lie after lie, and even the usually tolerant Reddit crowd is in full-on "dead game" mode. BioWare gave the illusion of transparency, and bailed on that the split second the game actually released. Most of the "transparency" ended up even being a bunch of bullshit. Lies about six years in development, lies about the amount of content in the game, lies about being knowledgeable about the genre(so they wouldn't repeat the same mistakes as other developers). I've always been of a mentality of hoping that companies would improve rather than die, but I don't see how BioWare will ever actually recover from this.

Codex Year of the Donut
Finally got around to reading that kotaku article. People laying the blame at the feet of EA should read it, it was worse before EA execs stepped in.
Around the same time, Electronic Arts executive Patrick Söderlund, to whom BioWare’s leadership reported, played the Anthem Christmas demo. According to three people familiar with what happened, he told BioWare that it was unacceptable. (Söderlund did not respond to a request for comment.) He was particularly disappointed by the graphics. “He said, ‘This is not what you had promised to me as a game,’”

This is why you should never work in the video game industry:
There was pressure within the studio, as many teams had to put in late nights and weekends just to make up for the time they’d lost
I've never worked salaried overtime in my life and I never will. Never let management con you into thinking the project the company working on is in some part your project.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yes, the decades-long press and gamer darling is picked on by toxic men because the game isn't made by Bethesda or Bungie, who totally got no backlash for anything at all recently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LowSodiumA...diumanthem_discord_is_hereby_closed_12am_est/

r/LowSodiumAnthem

•Posted by
u/VeshWolfe

Moderator 2 days ago

LowSodiumAnthem Discord is Hereby Closed @ 12AM EST May 4th
renderTimingPixel.png

Announcement
As the title of this post says, the official LowSodiumAnthem Discord is shutting down TONIGHT at 12 AM Eastern Standard Time. This is not a decision we reached easily nor one we like having to do, allow me to explain our position however.

Our entire purpose for creating and the continued operation of LowSodiumAnthem is to have a community, be it large or small, where people who enjoyed Anthem could come to discuss the game and its highlights and flaws in a constructive manner without being bombarded by internet trolls or those who felt personally attacked by Anthem's non-perfect launch. As such, we have set out to do this by the fans for that fans. Along the way, it was requested that a Discord be made and we did as such as a gift to our growing community. Thats the thing though, the official Discord was a gift, a bonus to the community early on because of how positive it was. It was not owed. We do not have to have to have it. We have warned this community countless times to follow the common sense and common decency rules we have set up. For the most part, the subreddit section of our community here have listen to us, the Discord section of our community has not. In fact we have watched the Discord get progressively worse, so this is where we are at, you lose the Discord.

Now it is not my intention to paint all our Discord members in the same light, there were many good members who followed the rules. However, there was a significant number of members who evidently thought the rules did not apply to them. The old saying is true, a few bad apples do spoil the whole bunch. Specifically, we have seen two alarming things on our Discord over the last month:

1.) The Alt-Right. Our Discord somehow, someway began to attract an alt-right presence. Things were said at times that could land us in legal issues with various government agencies should they have been acted upon. While we worked towards silently removing these people, the number of them present increased over time. Let me make this clear plainly right now, LowSodiumAnthem is not and will not be involved or subject to any alt-right politics. While we do not want any political discussion in this subreddit on a day to day basis, the inclusion of any alt-right sensibilities will not be tolerated. FULL STOP. If you hold allegiance or sympathy to the alt-right, leave now. You are not welcome or wanted here. Your presence will not be tolerated. You are not good people. You do not have valid points. Your points shouldn't be heard anywhere, let alone here. Kindly, piss off.

2.) Anti-Salt Trolls. This is an issue that we have addressed recently and while it has been more or less handled for now in the subreddit, its gotten progressively worse on the Discord. As, I have said recently, there is a subsection of this community that thinks because they love Anthem more than anything else on God's green earth that they can troll, harass, and personally attack anyone at all who does not hold an overly glowing opinion of the game. They incorrectly feel that we Mods are behind them in this, we are not. This was the larger and more easier to spot issue in the LSA Discord and it progressed to the point where as volunteers it became impossible to maintain the Discord, subreddit, our personal hobbies, and our adult lives.

Lastly I want to address some things that came up since we announced the Discord was closing:

1.) No the subreddit is not closing down, just the Discord.

2.) You are welcome to make your own Discord and advertise it here as long as you do so in a non-spam way. No we will not create a master list of Discords. No we will not sanction one fan Discord as the official replacement. Doing so again puts us in the same legal jeopardy as before.

3.) Undisclosed Mod(s) will be taking time off due to burn out. Rest assured we have more than enough to continue normal operation of the subreddit. No it is not me. I have not been around much visually for two reasons, one I do not like to make a lot of public Mod posts so that when I do make them they hold weight. Also I was largely off social media to avoid Avengers Endgame spoilers.

4.) No we did not get a cease and desist from EA, BioWare, or r/AnthemTheGame for any reason.

5.) No r/AnthemTheGame has ZERO (listen to me here) ZERO/0 reason for the Discord closing. If you witch-hunt them or go over there and troll and we find our we will straight up ban you.

6.) No, no one was selling drugs in the Discord.

7.) No, none of your other crazy ass conspiracy theories are correct. Yes I've lost my chill and the gloves are coming off. No some of you on either fringes of the Anthem community won't like it but for the most part no one will notice anything different.

I am going to leave this thread open for comments so we do not get 1001 conspiracy threads or posts about us not being transparent or censoring people etc etc. Know this, I am leaving it open because I think it has a purpose being open. If it goes off the rails I will lock it immediately. If you break a rule you will be punished. If you make a thread about the LSA Discord being closed it will be removed but you wont be punish.

What the fuck am I reading?

42985101554_6b9ed588e6_b.jpg

What the fuck am I reading?
The confused whimperings of a dying community. They might blame it on the alt-right or trolls, but if the mods still cared about the game, they'd put up with it. They aren't, which speaks volumes to community engagement from the most dedicated sects of the fanbase. Even the people willing to organize and run stuff just for the love of the game can't be bothered, whether they recognize this or not.

Aildrik

Savant
"We remain 100% committed to Anthem and look forward to showing players the new content we are working on"

Awesome corporate-speak there. Does anyone really expect a company to say anything other than this? Show me one example.. one... where a company was honest and said "Hey look, we fucked this thing up big time. We aren't going to throw good money after bad so in the interest of making money we are going to toss this rotting carcass of a product out the back door and move on with our lives".

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Someone else will start a happy funtime Anthem server if people still care about the game. We'll see if the community is still even there.

Angthoron

Arcane
Holy shit "Official discord was a gift to the community". Yes also official forums are a gift and a bonus. Customer support too is really there due to goodness of heart. These people deserve all the shitty games they're getting.

More like LowSoydiumAnthem am I right.

Drakron

Arcane
"Official Discord" is kinda of a ... how can I put this ... idiocy because if you read Discord TOS you quickly realize the company (Discord) can simply ban you for whatever reasons and you have no control over it, unlike Forum Software but setting up a Discord is easy, setting up a forum and run it is much harsher.

Its even more moronic when it comes to fucking Reddit as its the official social media of this social media site ... serious, what the fuck? But thats Reddit so as making a subreddit is easy so is setting a Discord server, this makes a low entry point for Sieg Heils and I do mean that, it gives people that should not have power the ability to gain power even if granted its not easy to make a community stay without barb wire and search lights let alone build on, this is why most Little Tyrants never get anywhere as they are inept at community building, the problem is the ones that do get somewhere.

Also I suspect the reason why they closed was because of low traffic as well the type of comments became less and less aligned with the Moderators "echo-chamber" since why the fuck someone would use a Discord server of a subreddit? And those that did likely started became more and more aware of the actual state of the game instead of the delusional viewpoint that is on that subreddit, also for funnies always look at the moderators post history because those idiots cannot even keep a separate moderation account from their main account.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Holy shit "Official discord was a gift to the community". Yes also official forums are a gift and a bonus. Customer support too is really there due to goodness of heart. These people deserve all the shitty games they're getting.

This wasn't an official Discord, it was a fan community thing.

Angthoron

Arcane

This wasn't an official Discord, it was a fan community thing.

Refers to

Thats the thing though, the official Discord was a gift, a bonus to the community early on because of how positive it was. It was not owed. We do not have to have to have it. We have warned this community countless times to follow the common sense and common decency rules we have set up. For the most part, the subreddit section of our community here have listen to us, the Discord section of our community has not. In fact we have watched the Discord get progressively worse, so this is where we are at, you lose the Discord.

I wonder if they have several official discords like the codex.

The regular Anthem sub doesn't allow memes and fashionposting anymore so it's just people complaining about loot and threatening to stop playing, or drive-by "people still play this?" posting from people who forgot to unsub. So I took a look at the lowsodium alternative and discover it's filled with nazis??? So much for chill.

(pretty sure "alt-right presence" = smug anime girls and Pepe avatars joking about being jewed by Bioware)

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh managing Discord is hard shit.

You can put bot to do moderation and basically delay posts until you review them in reddit. For a smallish fan community, especially one geared towards "low salt community", they might just choose "I am not dealing with moderating this Discord shit", especially if it actually attracted shitposters who do everything in their power to shit on the game, regardless whether the game being actually shit or not. The alt-right are political problem but alt-right and edgy internet shitposter have some overlap anyway.

Imagine a horde of TemplarGR posters coming and flooding the Codex over and over. And now remove the new member grace period and instead let them have all access to the whole Codex. Imagine dealing with that shit real time.
Nah we got Infinitron , it will use its Jewish AI Magic to crub them off the face of Codexia which is a very good moderator and will undoubtedly manage to face such challenge well.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
"Games Journalists" have apparently finally figured out what's wrong with Anthem: http://archive.is/hEHV5
Before Anthem receives story DLC, BioWare needs to address its obsession with the male ego
By Jason Coles 3 days ago Feature
Anthem has a problem with male ego and it's dragging its storytelling down

BioWare is slowly turning Anthem around. That process certainly hasn't been easy for the studio, but it is at least making good on its commitment to continue supporting the game. In an effort to get Anthem where it needs to be, the studio was forced to admit that it isn't going to achieve all of its Act 1 Calendar goals, pushing back the introduction of elements such as the Cataclysm, Mastery System, Guilds, and phase 2 of the Legendary Missions, along other highly requested features from the community.

BioWare understands that its end-game content isn't where it needs to be, which means it can't possibly begin to take the next steps towards Anthem's evolution – the undercurrent to all of this is that we shouldn't expect to see any story DLC for a little while. And, to be perfectly honest, that probably isn't a bad thing.

Before BioWare even thinks about expanding out the story of Anthem, it should really consider looking at the failings of the base game's narrative and of the instances of male ego that drives the story forward – toxic masculinity which ultimately works to the detriment of the story's core development and resolution.

This reminds me of when ME:Androgynous was released and ass blasters were pissed that there were not an even number of gay/straight relationships in the game. Since Bioware knows their fan base the devs announced that one of the first things they were going to do was add more butt time but then EA shitcanned everyone so I don't know if they actually did.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Eh managing Discord is hard shit.

You can put bot to do moderation and basically delay posts until you review them in reddit. For a smallish fan community, especially one geared towards "low salt community", they might just choose "I am not dealing with moderating this Discord shit", especially if it actually attracted shitposters who do everything in their power to shit on the game, regardless whether the game being actually shit or not.
:kingcomrade:

The alt-right are political problem but alt-right and edgy internet shitposter have some overlap anyway.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Yes, the nebulous "alt-right", used to condemn any and everybody that expresses an opinion in some way more conservative than yours discussing favorite ice cream cone types.

Then you go after edgy types, when your post is arguably read as, well, edgy.

:hahyou:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom