Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prime Junta

It's not a compelling enough identity to justify multiple games.

So retro-futuristic Americana is a compelling enough identity to justify multiple games, but retro-futuristic Sovietica isn't. Got it. :salute:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If anything, ATOM is lacking in that Russian/Soviet theme, at least in the visual department (haven't played it, so I'm judging from pics and videos).
Needs more Orthodox Churches, Metros and weird looking Soviet-era buildings and monuments.
Maybe even Slavic Pagan LARPers who gather around carved wooden balvans and dance long into the night.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If anything, ATOM is lacking in that Russian/Soviet theme, at least in the visual department (haven't played it, so I'm judging from pics and videos).
Needs more Orthodox Churches, Metros and weird looking Soviet-era buildings and monuments.
Maybe even Slavic Pagan LARPers who gather around carved wooden balvans and dance long into the night.

Orthodox Church began its revival only after 1988 (Which was 1000th anniversary of Baptism of Rus btw) so this to work game should have its ITZ decade or two later Comrade. Of course all possible after such events even some of orphaned Man reading the old pre revolutionary books and after being captured by nomads taking over and conquering tribes on the steppes as second Ivan the Terrible creating new Russian Khanate Caesar style. :incline:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
1) I'm talking about the buildings which weren't eradicated but still stood and 2) I'm pretty sure some communities still practiced the faith, the fact it wasn't widespread is irrelevant. Also, 3) Stalin was different than other commie rulers and instead of building only generic buildings also liked more classical styles as well.

Either way, post-apo settings are interesting because they usually explore multiple widely different cultures/societies (built on twisted understandings of already existing old ones) so it would have been awesome to see what they would come up with.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The "It's Fallout but in Russia" gimmick would grow stale in a sequel

Kinda like how Bethesda's Fallout 3 moved the setting to the east coast from Fallout 1 & 2's west coast (bad example because Fallout 3's worldbuilding is shit and just re-hashes the themes from Fallout 1 and 2, but just mentioning it because it's a series of post-apoc games where a sequel sets itself in a different part of the US to change up the setting a bit), Atom 2 could move the setting to a different part of the Soviet Union. Maybe somewhere further west - the Baltics, or another East Bloc country like Yugoslavia or Bulgaria. Maybe a different Soviet Republic like Kazakhstan, Georgia or Armenia. There's a lot of variety in a post-apocalyptic Soviet Union, so I really don't see how it would grow stale any more than Fallout sequels would grow stale.

ironmask

Arbiter
I have been playing this game for the first time for 10 hours and it is pretty cool so far. If there is an Atom 2 then I really hope the sequel will take place in a winter wasteland since I feel that was a lost opportunity. Way too many post apocalyptic games take place in deserts.

ironmask

Arbiter
I would rather have a more fallout like game than a party based rpg like wasteland. Plus wasteland 3 is being made by inxile. Which is known for making mediocre shit.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Dog armor DLC when? And also Uaz, Kamaz, Lada and BRT Comrade each 5 Shekels each. :salute:
Never, probably. At least not for money. Or for money but then you'll get a car factory and 10 global maps along with your new Lada. We started with this "sell huge game dirt cheap / ?????? / profit? maybe?" strategy and we'll die by it! Of hunger, most likely! But that's for Future Me to worry about.

Oh for fucks sake, fix your fucking games before releasing it. How long will this shit last that only after a year you can play a game properly the way it should be. Every game is in the making for at least a year even after releasing it to the public. Work at your basement and polish it. Don't polute everyone with your buggy crap

I completed this a couple of weeks after release without any significant issues.

Also the best optimised Unity game I think I've ever played.
Thanks, man! Our coders really deserve the praise. Unity is awesome, but keeping it from going all bananas on certain machines was nearly impossible, and yet the madmen somehow fixed it for most setups. It even runs on my home computer with an integrated GPU from 2010 or 2012 which is akin to magic.

Haha! Thanks! One day we will give you a chance to back us, since the new stuff we're going for after the Addon in Summer or Autumn, is gonna go on Kickstarter again.

A new game, or more content for Atom? I feel this game already has enough content, so I would prefer you start on a new game.

Well, logic, reason and most of the Russian proverbs I know tell us to make Atom 2 right now while we're at least somewhat relevant, so we're going for something completely different and so weird and unexpected that it has like a 50/50 chance of digging us an early grave, but just like with Atom, I always wanted to make something like this, and I'll enjoy playing it. Despite that, a big part of Atom 2 is also planned out. But it will have to wait.

i hope it's ATOM 2: Expeditions: Syberia.

Syberia melted down and become temperate, non radioactive haven for bunch of refugee escaping from cities. tons of new settlement popping and you are a survivor from a town that was raided / attacked seeking to rebuild a new life. get invovled in internal faction war etc.

Well, let me say this: there will probably be snow levels in Atom 2. And it will probably take the player northways. So, awesome guess! There will also be snow in the Add-on probably.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
The "It's Fallout but in Russia" gimmick would grow stale in a sequel
You know what? I bet by the time we'll make Atom 2, this thing will sound like a new idea again. :D We'll most probably take the Half Life route of making sequels.
We actually have two of these three things you mentioned! The balvan is even in working order and looks just like a penis from some angles! As for architecture, yeah, we get that a lot, but the region of the USSR we took as inspiration actually looked exactly like that in the 1980's and sadly mostly looks like that even now. It was not all Khruschovkas and Stalinkas even back in the day. Stalker gave our team a bit of Khruschovka overdose, since we played it like crazy since we were toddlers, so we went for the one-story USSR. Giving too much Soviet vibes, making everyone a comяade, etc. is frowned upon in our culture so that was a huge stopper as well. We went for the simple story/simple people route and spiced it up with all sorts of weirdo shit but not enough to be called the dreadful word KLYUKVA, which means "cranberries" but also means "a supersaturated display of Soviet/Russian life". I find that mild things age better than overwhelmingly stylized things. Might be wrong!

Add Medieval Castles and Enlightenment-era Villas as well. Perfect places to re-settle and build towns/communities around after the apocalypse ends.
We actually have a castle!!!

Atomboy confirmed for sure this month? The big update. I'm waiting to start fresh, and another playthrough when you guys release the expansion.
Well, our map maker man tells me not to get confident, but I am sure that it will be out after the 25th. We'll announce around the 15th, the date set there will be set in stone!

I would rather have a more fallout like game than a party based rpg like wasteland. Plus wasteland 3 is being made by inxile. Which is known for making mediocre shit.
There will be snow!

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Also, sometimes I get the honor to use my amazing MS Paint skills to create some terrible wall art for a dungeon or two. Here's one.

So, right before the war, a metro worker decided to hide himself, his wife and their three babies in the staff tunnels deep under ground. Did that work out for the young family? Look at the pretty Soviet era poster they have somewhere in their lair and wonder!
DbM15fY.png
"A tasty breakfast for children - RATSIE. Demand it from DADDY. Sold by every DADDY"

C9VpUEx.png

"Easy to care for - lots of profit.
Breed RATSIES"

(It was originally a pro-rabbit-breeding poster, weird I know, where would I breed rabbits? On my khruschevka balcony? In the dacha? Does that poster assume I'm a peasant?!)

What? Shitty quality and default PS brush?! No worries, it will look nice when reworked and posted on a wall by the artist.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some content alluding to WWI, Civil war and Pre-revolutionary Russia would be nice; So far we got Mosin riffles, the quest with Shield of Count and some allusions to Civil War past of Roaring forest. Its bit strange indeed that there are satanists, Muslims and even Jew and also Hilarius caricature of Russian liberal in game but no Orthodox Church or priest or believer in entire game but maybe it will be added in next part of which Commissar can't wait to have opportunity to back. Next Part of game taking part in Siberia with its famous rail, old believers secret settlements lost in wouds, and some fantasy elements like Admiral Kolchak treasure train or Baron Ungern-Stemberg wanabe or Tunguska Meteorite would be interesting to play in. Its not that Commissar here complains it was first game since many years where I did read all dialogues and in game books in hope of finding another hidden easter egg or quest after all.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Guys any ideas for a built that lets you get through the game relatively easy and yet lets you see as much of the content as possible PLZ??? (sort of like smart sniper/diplomat in F2). Its just i m starting a new character in Pathfinder and then Kingdom Come GOTY is coming out so no free time at all!

Sòren

Arcane
Guys any ideas for a built that lets you get through the game relatively easy and yet lets you see as much of the content as possible PLZ??? (sort of like smart sniper/diplomat in F2). Its just i m starting a new character in Pathfinder and then Kingdom Come GOTY is coming out so no free time at all!

glutton + lucky one, perception and intelligence 8+, charisma ~7, dexterity 7+; strength not much more than 5 needed (there's a weapon handling perk later on)
invest in automatic rifles and speech. and survival of around ~45 for the best random encounters. follow dan's questline in the beginning and kill the wayfarer in the roaring forest for his gun.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Oh boy, I'm back with some news and replies!

So, we're really going all the way with this one, might even take most of if not all of May to finish the thing. Tons of shit to do in Dead City content wise - quests, dungeons, rando encounters, chance of becoming the best tattoo master in the Wastes, a new addition to the Pynchon line of quests, a murder mystery, sexual encounters, a profound Buddhism inspired encounter with a creature, we also bought and perfected some mutilated dogs and weird instectoids. It's also gonna be rich with new features.
I haven't replayed an RPG for the last two years and counting, but ATOM is going to put a stop to that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought this on the weekend, and holy shit it's good. The humor is great and at points pretty silly but not to the same extent as Fallout 2. The world makes a lot of sense - it's more Fallout 1 than 2 in that regard. Protection rackets, trader unions, all kinds of stuff that make sense in a rebuilding-civilization-postapoc setting. The Russian setting is fresh and interesting, the quests offer lots of choices, plenty of XP to be gained by being investigative and using your skills... great fucking game. :salute:

Only thing that annoys me is the super slow walking speed on the world map, so I'm using CheatEngine's speedhack for that.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Well, in that case I am going to buy the game later today, the game is really extra cheap.

Job maju jevrejskuje żopu

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Version 1.1 announcement
11 MAJ @ 16:45 - ATOMTEAM
e301b084dbd889f18952a002a8b0b120c3632ce9.jpg

Hi, guys!

As you know, work on the big new update for ATOM continues for more than a month now. There's still a lot to do before we're through, but we finally decided on the publishing date. The update will hit Steam on May 29th. We will post the full change log on the same date. Meanwhile, here are some of the highlights of the upcoming update:

• Added lots of new locations to the Dead City - both above ground and below;
  • Fixed and updated a lot of animations, sounds, portraits, loading screens;
  • Added tens of new characters;
  • New monsters;
  • Added tons of new various quests;
  • Added new armors and weapons;
  • Lots of small fixes here and there and many more!

See you on the 29th, guys! Thanks for sticking with us.

71fda38ea3f73c1eaa2e2d910b8ef0220b249d80.jpg

9f978231a2ae7c8fbcd2c8062d255fb8373a6e05.jpg

0da14a9d023bad521618ff70706c25b0f01ad8d5.jpg

7bd64d157a7c3c1e6f8d8f80d4c5628594b1605e.jpg

e52c6dfce4e8614f4468df480a4f56a6c82a92b3.jpg

7af49d4f13797ba06b7f80d4c235fa22eae91c8b.jpg

99a8c1e5b56f0f4b06d713e8776bd1a559bcf3c9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SniperHF

Arcane
More locations/stuff to do is good. That's probably my chief complaint with the game is it really lacks in content mid-late game aside from the bunkers.

Not necessarily in terms of gear type/options, but in terms of progression the weapon paths for each type needs some either smoothing out or another plateau in between end game gear and mid game gear. At least in the last version I played it felt like you had to grind on encounters or just be a combat tactics munchkin to get gear capable of the final few battles. Didn't feel like a natural progression.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Some content alluding to WWI, Civil war and Pre-revolutionary Russia would be nice; So far we got Mosin riffles, the quest with Shield of Count and some allusions to Civil War past of Roaring forest. Its bit strange indeed that there are satanists, Muslims and even Jew and also Hilarius caricature of Russian liberal in game but no Orthodox Church or priest or believer in entire game but maybe it will be added in next part of which Commissar can't wait to have opportunity to back. Next Part of game taking part in Siberia with its famous rail, old believers secret settlements lost in wouds, and some fantasy elements like Admiral Kolchak treasure train or Baron Ungern-Stemberg wanabe or Tunguska Meteorite would be interesting to play in. Its not that Commissar here complains it was first game since many years where I did read all dialogues and in game books in hope of finding another hidden easter egg or quest after all.
We also have two Zoroastrians, because one night I had this weirdo lucid dream about Angra Mainyu the destructive spirit of Zoroastrianism asking me to remind the people of the world of his name, because he will die if forgotten completely, and in return he promised treasures and shiny gems, so I stuck him into the game and this comment! I also named my dog after him, hope the treasures will come soon :'\ On orthodoxy - I don't know what drives the other writer, but when I write a character who is not openly atheistic or of some exotic creed, in my head he's an orthodox. Like, when some dude I wrote says "thank god!" he means the orthodox bearded sky dude. So in my part of the writings, orthodoxy is there so much, it's pretty much invisible. Priests are sometimes mentioned, for example by Bathory, and the lack of churches I explain by most of the stuff in the game being pre-revolution architecture, so the old churches were smashed up, and the War happened before the big revival of Christianity in USSR so there are no new ones and not as much priests. On the other part of your comment, about the Siberia, and Kolchak, and the wild baron, hehe, what can I say, we think alike, you and I! Tunguska-wise especially. But all of that will have to wait for the sequel. And to get to the sequel, I must somehow make everyone like the next game we have in mind!

Oh boy, I'm back with some news and replies!

So, we're really going all the way with this one, might even take most of if not all of May to finish the thing. Tons of shit to do in Dead City content wise - quests, dungeons, rando encounters, chance of becoming the best tattoo master in the Wastes, a new addition to the Pynchon line of quests, a murder mystery, sexual encounters, a profound Buddhism inspired encounter with a creature, we also bought and perfected some mutilated dogs and weird instectoids. It's also gonna be rich with new features.
I haven't replayed an RPG for the last two years and counting, but ATOM is going to put a stop to that.
Thanks, man! Just waIT for the 29th! It's gonna have a lot more stuff going on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom