Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Silentstorm

Learned
The fuck!?

Wow, i didn't know it was possible, but Epic makes Valve look like GOG in a way, AKA, as the much nicer store that cares about gamers, that's how bad Epic is, so they are screwing Linux users now!?

Silentstorm

Learned
inb4 "there are like 3 Linux gamers out there so screw them" :happytrollboy:
Which is dumb because there are Linux gamers who really appreciate games being available to them, and there are people that screw with code and ways to play games with no Linux versions on Linux since they like games so much, all i see is Epic ignoring them so much worse than any other store, i mean, according to those Twitter posts, Epic pretty much stopped Valve from giving Linux players a service that helps lessen cheating they would encounter in multiplayer games, just because.

And the worst part is that this will either be ignored or won't matter since Epic has Borderlands 3 and people will buy that and other games.

cosmicray

Savant
Rocket League's linux build being cancelled is pure speculation at this point, right? And being against FOSS(for god knows what reason) doesn't automatically exclude Linux-version - Rocket League is closed source anyway. But Epic surely is trying really hard to be hated by every damn PC gamer. Their approach is bullish, which in the longrun might bite them in the ass. Hatred won't go anywhere if they continue in this manner.

Last edited:
Rocket League's linux build being cancelled is pure speculation at this point, right? And being against FOSS(for god knows what reason) doesn't automatically exclude Linux-version - Rocket League is closed source anyway. But Epic surely is trying really hard to be hated by every damn PC gamer. Their approach is bullish, which in the longrun might bite them in the ass. Hatred won't go anyway if they continue in this manner.

How could it not be? Didn't they announce it would be removed from Steam and Epic is Windows-only.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Rocket League's linux build being cancelled is pure speculation at this point, right? And being against FOSS(for god knows what reason) doesn't automatically exclude Linux-version - Rocket League is closed source anyway. But Epic surely is trying really hard to be hated by every damn PC gamer. Their approach is bullish, which in the longrun might bite them in the ass. Hatred won't go anyway if they continue in this manner.

How could it not be? Didn't they announce it would be removed from Steam and Epic is Windows-only.
The original statement glossed over the subject, so they updated it:

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/psyonix-is-joining-the-epic-family-/

We wanted to clarify something for you after today’s news: Rocket League is and remains available on Steam. Anyone who owns Rocket League through Steam can still play it and can look forward to continued support. Thanks!

And didn't answer the question. Their statement seems to be addressing users who think once the game leaves steam, their owned copy will be zapped out of existence.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Tim Sweeney likes monopolies as long he is part of it, we seen how he moved Epic to the direction the wind was blowing and I cannot exactly fault him for that except that he opened his mouth and said really stupid things such as how he argued his move to the XBox was due to piracy on the PC instead of arguing that even a PC port was a financial risk that Epic could not take, the whole dishonestly to not come up as a suit and still one of "my fellow gamers" as if its still 1991.

ZeniBot

Cipher

This makes me happy the idiot really underestimates the power Linux has. If Microsoft decide to go down the path of gatekeeping users out of the market (same way Epic is) then Valve only has to push the fact that proton works and all their games they own will be there when they finally leave Windows for good. I think Gabe's waiting to use that nuke. And as Metokur stated, Epic: "We've got exclusives" Steam: "We've got VR Hentai on Linux, Checkmate mother fuckers"

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This makes me happy the idiot really underestimates the power Linux has. If Microsoft decide to go down the path of gatekeeping users out of the market (same way Epic is) then Valve only has to push the fact that proton works and all their games they own will be there when they finally leave Windows for good. I think Gabe's waiting to use that nuke. And as Metokur stated, Epic: "We've got exclusives" Steam: "We've got VR Hentai on Linux, Checkmate mother fuckers"

Yeah.

Don't mean to piss on your parade here but in the real world:

Shit has to get reaaaally bad before someone would consider the inconvenience of trying to use Linnux day to day as the lesser of 2 evils compared to Microsoft's shenanigans.

Also: The gaming industry is kept alive by the millions of consoletard millennials buying the yearly Call of Doody and FIFA/NBA Slam [CURRENT_YEAR]. Not a few basement dwelling weeaboo incels jerqing off to their waifus.

abija

Prophet
Most people would have 0 issues using linux for their day to day needs. The show stoppers are gaming and productivity (when the software needed is only windows/mac).

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Also: The gaming industry is kept alive by the millions of consoletard millennials buying the yearly Call of Doody and FIFA/NBA Slam [CURRENT_YEAR]. Not a few basement dwelling weeaboo incels jerqing off to their waifus.

I already stated that I don't believe in Linux doing anything mainstream any time soon, but I disagree with your statement on a certain level : you act like "THE GAMING INDUSTRY" is a singular block, rather than multiple entities acting in multiple niches. The retard buying Call of Motherclucker and FIFA is not keeping the games I care about alive. Not even in an indirect (through publisher support) manner. You could literally destroy Ubisoft, EA, Activision and Microsoft as publishers and there wouldn't be a single game lost in my current library/backlogs of games I care about. I don't even have Ubishit or EA's clients installed. I momentarily had origin to try a few of their FPS then uninstalled out of lost interest.
The dude buying Call of Homo is not the dude who keeps From, Capcom or Nihon Falcom alive.

Steam is the only necessary evil I allowed on my computer and I don't feel that pressed to budge. There's more games in my backlog than time I have to play them all.

So, I don't care about that segment you state "keeps something alive". That something isn't even worth existing in the first place. It can burn in a fire for all I care.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I already stated that I don't believe in Linux doing anything mainstream any time soon, but I disagree with your statement on a certain level : you act like "THE GAMING INDUSTRY" is a singular block, rather than multiple entities acting in multiple niches. The retard buying Call of Motherclucker and FIFA is not keeping the games I care about alive. Not even in an indirect (through publisher support) manner. You could literally destroy Ubisoft, EA, Activision and Microsoft as publishers and there wouldn't be a single game lost in my current library/backlogs of games I care about. I don't even have Ubishit or EA's clients installed. I momentarily had origin to try a few of their FPS then uninstalled out of lost interest.
The dude buying Call of Homo is not the dude who keeps From, Capcom or Nihon Falcom alive.

Steam is the only necessary evil I allowed on my computer and I don't feel that pressed to budge. There's more games in my backlog than time I have to play them all.

So, I don't care about that segment you state "keeps something alive". That something isn't even worth existing in the first place. It can burn in a fire for all I care.

YOU might not care.

Gaben and Epic definitely do.

Silentstorm

Learned
And let me guess, Steam has payment options other than Paypal for Ukrainians, even if it's just Steam Wallet cards, those cards that allow people to go to stores and just buy a code, no Paypal or Credit Card required if people really really don't want to use those things online.

I sure know Steam has a lot of payment options, more than other stores, and yeah, most people only use the major and most common options, but the fact there are others is a cool feature of Steam and Epic is behind Valve regarding that.

No, they did not.

“The PC version of Rocket League will come to the Epic Games store in late 2019. In the meantime, it will continue to be available for purchase on Steam; thereafter it will continue to be supported on Steam for all existing purchasers.”

Once it comes to Epic it will not be available for purchase on Steam, but existing owners will continue to receive support.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I mean, who can't just register a paypal account, which would be handled with no additional charge ffs, instead of paying with their phone credit, or something :roll:

Ukrainians, because PayPal doesn't work in their country. Just ask zwanzig_zwoelf
It kinda works, but only one way. You can send money, but receiving is a big no-no (except for refunds, IIRC). This issue has been brought on for years here, but nothing came out of it.

Before Steam introduced local currency in their store, you could only buy games via PayPal and a few other options (which were a pain in the ass, they're not even worth mentioning).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And let me guess, Steam has payment options other than Paypal for Ukrainians, even if it's just Steam Wallet cards, those cards that allow people to go to stores and just buy a code, no Paypal or Credit Card required if people really really don't want to use those things online.

I sure know Steam has a lot of payment options, more than other stores, and yeah, most people only use the major and most common options, but the fact there are others is a cool feature of Steam and Epic is behind Valve regarding that.

Yes, Steam has a lot of payment options, but you just made the blanket statement of "everyone not living in a tiny 3rd world nation consisting of two islands should be able to make a PayPal, easy peasy, no need to use those other payment methods" which just isn't correct.

Some people in some parts of the world gotta use shittier payment options, and then it sucks when they have to pay more for a game just because of that. Epic Store brings zero benefit to these consumers, it actually makes games more expensive for them than buying the same game on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom