Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [LP CYOA] I'm a High Tech Hobo Who Stumbled into Another World While Out Scavenging For Parts

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry, work took a lot longer than I expected, but I'm finally, finally free now. Expect quicker updates from now on.

Oh, huh. Took me a while to get this thing working again, because as it turned out, escaping alone wasn’t as easy as I thought it’d be, especially when I didn’t have any easy scapegoat to act as cannon fodder. In hindsight it’s not like I’m some sneaking expert or something, so I guess that was to be expected. To cut a long story short, I fell into the fucking sewers after getting chased around by a dozen guards when I ran into a goddamn dragon that they were keeping in the dungeons. Yeah, a goddamn dragon definitely reminds me that this is a fantasy world. This is the absolute worst summoning ritual ever, by the way, for not giving me any super special powers. Yeah, I got an inbuilt translator, but that’s like being amazed that trees can talk.

At any rate, I managed to find shelter after getting washed out in some rundown part of the city. This sector seems practically abandoned, with nothing but the occasional stray dog wandering by. Honestly? It’s spooky, but it’s an improvement over the smelly jail, and over whatever cardboard tent I could erect back in my world. Why, it’s a proper bloody roof! Godsent, if nothing else. I’d take some pictures to share, but the camera’s not fully working and I don’t think I can fix it yet. The imaging chip is a quirky little thing and from what I heard, it would practically be easier to write code so that the cheap AI onboard can translate whatever images it captures into a text description. Hey, I didn’t design the thing.

While waiting for my device’s parts to dry out so I could put them back together, I went into town to figure out whether or not the kingdom is going to get really mad that I escaped and hunt me down. Gathering information in cities isn’t that hard, once you get the homeless beggar act right. It’s practically second nature to me at this point so I found myself doing just fine at that. After all, even in another world, humans are humans.

As it turns out, the kingdom doesn’t really seem to care that much. All the hero talk I could get were about the other heroes. Nothing about my escape. I heard that it was four guys down in the jail, but out here word on the street was that it was two guys and two girls. Seems that they’re about to be sent on a peace mission abroad in a couple of weeks, touring the various countries. I couldn’t quite understand the explanation, but it seems that this hero summoning ritual happens once a century or so. There are pulses of magical power running underneath the earth that form leylines, apparently treated as the circulatory system of the planet. Syagrius just happens to lie on a particularly potent node which allows them to power the summoning. As for the heroes’ mission, they are supposed to act as some quasi-religious diplomats to travel the countries and gain allies on a pilgrimage in order to fight a – get a load of this – a Demon King which is slated to appear sometime in the coming years.

Amazing. A villain that follows a timetable. Shouldn’t they call it Calendar Man or something?

Well, that is probably none of my business. I think I’m a bit hurt that they don’t really care that I ran away but hey, if they’re not going to be chasing me with pikes and arrows and fireballs anymore, that’s a blessing in disguise.

By the way, I also saw something pretty hilarious for a fantasy world. Powered armor. Around three times the height of a human. It’s similar to the ones that our world’s military forces are using in a way. Like a cat is similar to a tiger, hah. I’m amazed they have such weapons with their rudimentary understanding of technology, but I suppose that’s what their magic is for. Looks like they’re pretty common equipment for knights, but I hear the heroes are supposed to be stronger than such things even on foot.

With the information gathering done, now I need to figure out what I’m going to do with my life here. Going back isn't something realistically possible in the near future, and even then going back right now doesn't seem like too bright an idea. There is still much I can learn from this world. I suppose I could stay here, continue being a beggar until something changes or some new information comes in. This is the capital after all, and I’d be better off begging here than in other cities.

I could also join that time-honored staple, the Adventurer’s Guild. It’d mean actually doing some honest and perhaps sometimes dishonest work, but it’d get me information, knowledge and resources quicker than just waiting around, as well as connections.

There was also the option of visiting other towns. I’ve heard that to the north of the capital there was a place known for its arena and gladiatorial bouts, some involving powered armor. I think it’d be a good place to absorb some of the technology that this world offers, as crappy as it may be. Might be able to put my expertise to use too.

To the east there lies an academy town for all things magic-related. I guess you can’t have a fantasy world without magic, and learning magic is the dream of every boy. Well, it wasn’t mine, my dream wasn’t anything as fancy. But I must admit I’m intrigued nonetheless.

Oh, and about that whole Randall thing? You guys are seriously asking about that? Sure, maybe you might not know about the hobo wars but Randall Al-Thoth? Yeah, pull the other one. You’re probably his spies seeking to find out threats to his dominion or some such other corporate bullshit, I guess. Hah, like it matters, you can’t get to me because I’m in another world, so suck on that, Randall you fuckwit. You still owe me, you hear? And I'm going to collect one day.

Tigranes

Arcane
We would be absolutely useless as adventurers anyway, we couldn't even handle a dozen guards and Patrick Stewart the dragon!

Hobo life seems nice and relaxing, until we succumb to some strange and foreign venereal disease.

Baltika9

Arcane
Take Option D: go off and join the Demon King. His punctuality alone sets him apart from the chuckleheads that summoned you.

Tigranes

Arcane
That's the thing, actually. We could probably make a tidy sum or become very useful for some important people with our offworld knowledge, rather than, I don't know, trying to learn their magic in 3 weeks.

Baltika9

Arcane
That's the thing, actually. We could probably make a tidy sum or become very useful for some important people with our offworld knowledge, rather than, I don't know, trying to learn their magic in 3 weeks.
Absolutely. treave, how good are you with, uh, borrowing things without any intention of returning them?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, we should go to the arena and get a proper look at their tech.
And our hands on some laxatives, while we're at it. They will come in handy. I'm sure.

lightbane

Arcane
when I ran into a goddamn dragon that they were keeping in the dungeons.

What's a dragon doing here in such a tight space? Someone played Drakengard. Also, you're missing a title.

– get a load of this – a Demon King which is slated to appear sometime in the coming years.

Standard Isekai drivel. In before elves and animal men girls.

By the way, I also saw something pretty hilarious for a fantasy world. Powered armor. Around three times the height of a human. It’s similar to the ones that our world’s military forces are using in a way. Like a cat is similar to a tiger, hah. I’m amazed they have such weapons with their rudimentary understanding of technology, but I suppose that’s what their magic is for. Looks like they’re pretty common equipment for knights, but I hear the heroes are supposed to be stronger than such things even on foot.

Looks like someone watched Knights & Magic.

AS for what you should do, is to use your Analyze ability on these power-amors, see where they're fabricated, and steal one for yourself to become the true Hobo King!

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Join the Adventurer's Guild.

So what if we can't handle dragons, it takes all kinds to get jobs done.
Would probably have to stick to the 'dishonest' ones for a while, though.

Either that, or go north to steal the power armor and get an advantage... not that it compares to the other heroes, anyway. But maybe our tech knowledge could be give us an edge.

Baltika9

Arcane
AS for what you should do, is to use your Analyze ability on these power-amors, see where they're fabricated, and steal one for yourself to become the true Hobo King!

Either that, or go north to steal the power armor and get an advantage... not that it compares to the other heroes, anyway. But maybe our tech knowledge could be give us an edge.

Guys, you're missing the point. We don't need the armor for adventuring, we need it to open our own business, make serious money through government and become a captain of industry. Instead of making this another action-adventure story, I propose we make it all about politics and economics.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Make your own story, where have I heard that...

Ah, yes.
Yd-V3-Qct3-IVtb-Ma-XCgegw-TSvkpplk-QKidrc-Ntouibf-ME.png

All I'm hearing sounds like adventuring hooks to me. We might want to check if they tell these kinds of stories around here.

Baltika9

Arcane

Ah, yes.
Yd-V3-Qct3-IVtb-Ma-XCgegw-TSvkpplk-QKidrc-Ntouibf-ME.png

Exactly, except we can use the industrial base we built to supply the 'good guys' with advanced equipment and drive a revolution in warfare, a sort of Krupp-Metternich character. All for profit, of course.
:takemymoney:

Or, we could ally with the demon king. All for profit, of course.
:takemymoney:

All I'm hearing sounds like adventuring hooks to me. We might want to check if they tell these kinds of stories around here.
Of course, but since the protagonist is mostly a blank slate, I am simply offering a direction for his character and the CYOA.

Changing my vote to visiting the arena.

lightbane

Arcane

Lolz, that's a good use of political correctness' bullshit used against the stupid player that came up with such ideas.

As for the power-armor vote, if the MC is skilled enough, he could introduce revolution after revolution if he eventually gains access to a mecha forge. Kinda like the aforementioned Knights and Magic anime but with less a Mary Sue protagonist.

Changing my vote to visiting the arena

If we go to the arena while looking like a hobo, we might end up becoming an (un)willing participant.

Baltika9

Arcane

Lolz, that's a good use of political correctness' bullshit used against the stupid player that came up with such ideas.

As for the power-armor vote, if the MC is skilled enough, he could introduce revolution after revolution if he eventually gains access to a mecha forge. Kinda like the aforementioned Knights and Magic anime but with less a Mary Sue protagonist.

Changing my vote to visiting the arena

If we go to the arena while looking like a hobo, we might end up becoming an (un)willing participant.
Right, changing my vote to get a shower, a shave and a fresh set of clothes, then visit the arena.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm sure the Demon King isn't even real. It's just a metaphor for Ideology, an illusion that the population buys into voluntarily in order to sustain their fantasy that their condition of subservience is a happy and necessary one.

Thus, the correct move is to concoct some impressive offworld tech demonstrations and then start selling fancy wristband computers that do nothing but ping users to say how long they have until the Demon King comes, as well as smart alarms for the home that give them a red alert when the Demon King is near, and finally some good old goat gland transplant surgeries* to provide superpowers to fight the Demon King

220px-Dr._John_R._Brinkley.jpg

*in case you don't know

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sure the Demon King isn't even real. It's just a metaphor for Ideology, an illusion that the population buys into voluntarily in order to sustain their fantasy that their condition of subservience is a happy and necessary one.

Or the Demon King is just an illusion, to be fought by a handful of heroes suckers who are then sent back to their plane of origin. And then you can use that to justify/protect the status quo.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I could also join that time-honored staple, the Adventurer’s Guild. It’d mean actually doing some honest and perhaps sometimes dishonest work, but it’d get me information, knowledge and resources quicker than just waiting around, as well as connections.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
how good are you with, uh, borrowing things without any intention of returning them?

Don't call it borrowing. Call it repurposing. And it's practically a required skill for people like us in this line of work, although it's less about deft fingers and more about the analytical ability to determine what people are willing to let go instead of confronting a smelly, unwashed, scraggly man.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hey dude, have you ever ended anyone before? Hell, how good are you in a scrap?
Why do that, when we can manufacture and sell weapons to the schmucks heroes to do the murdering for us. Meanwhile, we will kick back and enjoy a nice steak, J.P. Morgan style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom