Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm a bit disappointed in the turn-up for this vote.
Many of the old timers like for example Luzur (no wonder MM3 plummeted), Scrooge, Sceptic or people with retro taste like Wayward Son and newtmonkey didn't vote,

Meanwhile, DQoK suffers the biggest plunge of any game on this list, dropping 101 places. Its single vote, and point, was awarded to it by Removal, another newfag lurker.

I gave one point too.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
I'm a bit disappointed in the turn-up for this vote.
Many of the old timers like for example Luzur (no wonder MM3 plummeted), Scrooge, Sceptic or people with retro taste like Wayward Son and newtmonkey didn't vote,

Meanwhile, DQoK suffers the biggest plunge of any game on this list, dropping 101 places. Its single vote, and point, was awarded to it by Removal, another newfag lurker.

I gave one point too.

Huh, i thought i voted?

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
brenda-snipes-broward-county-supervisor-of-elections-broward-florida-1059926080-1200x786.jpg

SniperHF

Arcane
Because in HR/MD:
  1. you don't need any of the upgrades to complete the game;
  2. specialization doesn't exist and is even discouraged;
  3. the upgrades for the most part feel kinda useless and unnecessary.
None of this happens in Deus Ex.

Those are more arguments why you shouldn't vote for them than why they shouldn't count. If points are meaningless it's just a shitty RPG not a non-RPG.

It's like the Twitcher 2 review where VD played like a third of the game without investing in the skill tree.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm playing Dark Souls right now and it's basically a 3D Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Is that an RPG? The world may never know. We can go in circles on that shit forever. I think in the end if enough people vote for it, it counts.

Disciple

Savant
Grabbed the poll's top 50 and decided to break down the list regarding the games' combat system.

Top 10:
-Turn-based x2
-Real time x5
-RTwP x2
-Multi-system x1 (Arcanum)

Top 25:
-Turn-based x8
-Real time x9
-RTwP x7
-Multi-system x1

Top 50:
-Turn-based x20
-Real time x17
-RTwP x11
-Multi-system x2 (Arcanum and M&MVI)

Fallout 1 and 2 are the only titles in the top 10 with turn-based combat. Real time combat is the king of the top 10 (50%), but its prevalence gets lower as one goes down the top 50 (36% of the top 25, 34% of the top 50) to the point that the number of turn-based titles surpasses that of real time ones by the #50 spot.

Last edited:

Parsifarka

Arcane
Results confirm only a small subset of the Codex is worth discussing RPGs.
It's frankly embarrassing to see the top positions crowded with story faggotry and RTwP crap.
And then there is Bitcher 3... Unfuckingbeliavable.

The only positive outcome of this is Grimoire, a true RPG, firmly stepping into the list. Everything else about this is intolerable decline.
Maybe Roqua was right.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Last edited:

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

gosh well a big thank-you is in order first for my good friend felipepepe in taking the time to put and organize this for all of us who call this place home it was very nice of them to consider even doing this despite the number of votes they would have to go through to add up the totals for a top rpg list to compare it to the previous rpg list from the last time they took the time to put and organize this for the website so thank-you! Yet again the Pillars of Eternity franchise has cracked another top list and it is no surprise with just how much fun these two games and their expansions have been for the many of us who have sunk countless hours into the adventure, our character and party members. It was the only modern game I could give a vote on from playing and the others went to older games from my childhood called Ultima if you have not played them you should they are a lot of fun like Ultima 6 is one of my favorites because it was the first Ultima I could play on my own instead of watching someone else play and have fun and just be there to make notes and learn about the world but I fell in love with the world from watching the world pass me by so that means something and the other were Baldur's Gate series too that is where all my points went to so probably the next time this top rpg vote comes along my choices will be much the same but I hope by that time the Pillars of Eternity series has a third part to the story and they continue to expand on the world they have created it is a lot like Britannia with their lore but so much more depth in the books and items so that really draws me to these sort of games and looking forward to more so keep up the good work everyone! ✨:hug:

Thanks,
Sherry

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know it's not a scientific way of doing business, but if we were to only consider the top CRPGs prior to 1997 (pre-Fallout), then we would have the following:

1. Betrayal at Krondor
2. Pool of Radiance
3. Ultima VII
4. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
5. Ultima Underworld
6. Might and Magic IV/V: World of Xeen
7. Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail
8. Wizardry I
9. Darklands
10. Ultima IV
11. The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall
12. Dungeon Master
13. Might and Magic 2
14. Wizardry VI
15. Ultima V
16. Diablo
17. Quest for Glory IV
18. Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters
19. Wasteland
20. Realms of Arkania 1
21. Ultima Underworld II
22. Ultima VI
23. Pools of Darkness

I have an issue with the previous Top 72 list and this one due to the inclusion of games like Mass Effect and Dragon's Age. But I do very much like this pre-1997 list. SSI was my favorite RPG developer in the 80s and has three games on this list. :)

Gearmos

Educated
I would vote for a Top-75 list, highlighting the top 25. Or even a list of 100. Keep in mind that many people in this forum will have played most of them, and a broader list will help them find games they haven't played yet.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I look at this as the best 101 list. This way it gives a wide enough selection of quality rpgs.

And if Oblivion offends you too much, you can treat it as the best 98 list. This way you also loose Wizards and Warriors and Pools of Darkness, but for some it may be a needed sacrifice to remove TESIV from the list.

Or you can simply ignore Oblivion (on valid grounds of trollish votes) and have a round top 100 list. Enjoy!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Lot of horrible newfaggotry in these results. Both Poes and both original sins ?

We really could use a purge, or reeducation camps.
Otoh, the top15 is mostly good (but kingmaker being that high is newfaggotry) and I expected worse.

Would be interesting to see sub-results of users with accounts more than 10 years old, if such is possible (I have not read the last 15 pages of the thread. Who has the time?)

Latest prestigious cutoff is top 12. After that credibility is lost, but it was lost the moment the results happened, so we may as well make our shame public.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom