Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2019 - RESULTS ARE OUT!

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Would be interesting to see sub-results of users with accounts more than 10 years old, if such is possible (I have not read the last 15 pages of the thread. Who has the time?)

So you would remove yourself from the voting. Interesting...

Parabalus

Arcane
ToEE plummeting is :incline:.

ATOM is way too low.

Would be interesting to see sub-results of users with accounts more than 10 years old, if such is possible (I have not read the last 15 pages of the thread. Who has the time?)

Would be nice to see results with votes weighted by voter join date, in both directions, to see how strong the effect is.

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
I'm still busy with Wiz6.
Is Grimoire really better than Wizardry 7?
that's a matter of taste, really.
Grimoire is easier to get into and has quality of life improvements, for example automap available without finding map kit and leveling up mapping skill, set pathway & walk (= autowalk), set encounters in options etc.
Grimoire is also more fantastic; by that I mean it is more imaginative, it's got a certain fairytale-like feeling that Wiz7 lacks.
otoh Grimoire often has corny humor in its writing, I prefer Wiz7's more serious, sinister tone (you can't really take it seriously, but still).
I personally am always going to prefer the original to the "copy". because as harsh as it may sound, Grimoire wouldn't exist without Wizardry 6/7, so it basically is a copy. but I can understand the people that prefer Grimoire over Wiz7, it's just that I'm not one of them.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Sacrifices must be made. Let it not be said that I am merely trying to increase my own influence.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Witcher 3 is better than Pool of Radience?
(Playing POR ATM and it’s far more fun than Witcher.)
:negative:

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Witcher 3
rating_agenda.png

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm a bit disappointed in the turn-up for this vote.
Many of the old timers like for example Luzur (no wonder MM3 plummeted), Scrooge, Sceptic or people with retro taste like Wayward Son and newtmonkey didn't vote,

Meanwhile, DQoK suffers the biggest plunge of any game on this list, dropping 101 places. Its single vote, and point, was awarded to it by Removal, another newfag lurker.

I gave one point too.

Yeah I was super busy the past weeks and completely missed this poll :negative: Now we have :decline:

Open Path

Learned
Could be worse. I like more 2014 list, but the new one is still better than any other alternative outside codex.

Grimoire, The Age of Decadence or Pathfinder results are not truly surprising considering the amount of praise for these games on the codex -not balanced by butthurt, still more love for them here-. New Vegas incline was expected also as its fans are very present and active recently. I slightly disagree with their positions, but I could agree with all them in top 20-30.

The Witcher on the other hand has extremely inferior rpg mechanics comparing only with other story-centric rpgs ranking lower on the list, and even in the pure narrative perspective -if story would be really rpg defining feature- some of them are clearly superior. If we include in the comparison other non story-centric games I doubt The Witcher 3 could rank higher than 40th position, being generous, there are so many games with better rpg mechanics. TW3 excels in writing, characters personalities, music or artistic design, all valuable aspects for some type of game, but not specially rpg linked.

Darklands, Betrayal at Krondor, most Ultimas, Gothic 1, Daggerfall, both Kotors, Arx fatalis, Realms of Arkania 1,2 & 3, most Wizardrys and M&Ms, Dark Sun, The Temple of Elemental Evil or to cite some recent examples Kingdom Come: Deliverance or Kenshi, are all better than TW3 in most perspectives that define what is an rpg. And I cited here some games that I don't like specially, but still.

Also what unexpected and extreme incline in Gothics and Deus Ex! Maybe what happened is that old codexers suddenly started to love with passion those games to the level of give them double -and more- amount of points in 2019. Yes, maybe is this. Or maybe new generation love Gothics and Deus Ex more than older generations... or maybe who knows, simply:

:outrage::outrage::outrage::outrage::outrage: or :npc::npc::npc::npc:

Finally I didn't expect so bad results for Darklands. I think Darklands deserves a place among top 30. Not only by relevance in history of rpgs, but because many of its mechanics and design have been only minimally implemented in other games in 27 years.

Last edited:

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I was contemplating voting for a Bard's Tale entry, but tbh everything it does its predecessors, Might and Magic and Wizardry, does better so they are much more deserving of the limited point pool.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was contemplating voting for a Bard's Tale entry, but tbh everything it does its predecessors, Might and Magic and Wizardry, does better so they are much more deserving of the limited point pool.

The Bard's Tale II is from 1986.

Might & Magic 2 - is from 1988
Wizardry 6 is from 1990

Earlier Might and Magics and Wizardries are not really better in gameplay and GUI-wise than The Bard's Tale II IMHO.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I don't quite agree with that. BT 1 and 2 had much better audiovisuals, especially the Amiga and AppleII GS versions.
And BT2 had some of the best mapping challenges of any CRPGs.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And Albion 8 points? Really?

I was surprised too, that's a loooot of points. :P

Seriously, did you play it recently ? It's the opposite of fun, years were not kind to this game.

I play Albion every few years. The Bard's Tale series not so much, but I played the remastered version. I still like them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom