Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Kaivokz

Arcane
Finished the game around release, but went back and fought some of the superbosses last night. Figured I'd post a quick rundown:

Story is average.
A lot of elements are biblical allusions, like in other xeno games.
Main character is average shonen, but it wasn't so bad I couldn't ignore it.
I enjoyed the world, but I'm a sucker for anything that starts as fantasy and turns into scifi, like bane of the cosmic forge or M&M.
Character design seems much better in Torna (prequel), but I didn't mind Pyra/Mythra/(spoilers)
/pneuma
3F6Yrl5.jpg
:bounce::bounce:
World design is good for the most part. Lots of interesting flora and fauna. A good deal of secret areas and hidden bosses to find. Some of the later islands are filler crap without content, though.
Music is great. esp. the drumming on a lot of the tracks (Sukhāvatī). See 4:25 here. The Torna DLC has some awesome Jazzy arrangements of the songs, too, and the new battle theme is phenomenal.

If you don't like the gameplay, you probably won't like the game.
That said, I found the gameplay to be really fun. It's a pretty intricate system with a couple different moving parts that require some skill to slot together. There are four primary combat mechanics: Driver Combos, Blade Combos, Attack Cancelling and Chain Attacks.

Each character (driver) has a different set of arts for each weapon. Driver arts can have one of four effects associated with them (break, topple, launch, smash) which can be combo'd together, in that order, to stun (starting from topple) and do lots of damage (mostly from smash). The AI is really good about prioritizing abilities; if companion 1 has a move with break, companion 2 with launch, and you have topple, companion 1 will break very quickly, companion 2 gives you a decent window to topple in, and they will follow up with launch pretty quickly if you do topple. Those are Driver Combos. Driver arts charge every time you hit with a basic attack.

Blade Combos result from chaining blade specials. Each blade has one of eight elements that determine the elemental type of their special. Blade specials also have levels (1 to 4) that correspond to how long you charge them up (level 4 can only be used at max affinity, which goes up as you fight). Blade specials charge each time a driver art is used. A Blade Combo is a chain of three blade specials, of the proper elements, where the first special can be any level, the second special must be at least level 2, and the third special must be at least level 3. For example, if you do water->earth->wind, you perform the blade combo "Final Disaster." Dark->light->electric you do "Heaven's Bolt." There are 25 such combinations, but the UI will display each path you can take once you've played the first step. There is a limited time window to perform each subsequent special, but driver combos can extend the duration (e.g. breaking an enemy who is in the middle of a blade combo).

Attack Cancelling comes in two main varieties: You can cancel basic attacks and you can cancel arts. Contrary to what the name might imply, cancelling does not negatively impact the original art in any way (it does not get "cancelled"), instead you cancel the animation frames after the final hit and go directly into the move you cancelled with. To cancel, you use an art or special directly at the end of an attack animation. A successful cancel increases the damage and charge rate of the attack or art. The attack animations are different for each weapon for each character and for each art (e.g. some weapons go 1 hit -> 2 quick hits -> 1 hit, with each -> representing a possible cancellation; some arts are single hit, some are multi-hit, but arts are always cancelled at the end of the animation). If you are bad there are accessories that increase the cancel window.

Each driver can also use 3 blades, which can be switched out in combat. Some things to note: You can cancel with a blade switch and, while I am not entirely sure, I think chaining cancels continues to increase the damage (and cancelling on the third phase of basic attacks also does more damage than the second phase, which does more than the first). Blades switch in with all their corresponding driver arts fully charged. This means you can do something like this, with each -> representing a cancel: B1A1 (Blade 1 driver Art 1) -> B1A2 -> B1A3 -> blade switch -> B2A1 -> B2A2 -> ... and if your blade recharge is low enough, you can do this indefinitely, but that is not generally the optimal damage strategy, as specials and blade combos do way more damage than basic arts. There is an item that increases damage per blade switch, and if cancelling scales indefinitely (I don't know if it does) and you go through 5-6 cycles of your blades without missing a single cancel, the damage might start to compare.

The final mechanic is Chain Attacks. Every time you complete a blade combo, an elemental orb corresponding to the final element used is placed onto the enemy. Limit one per element (max 8 elemental orbs). Once your party gauge is maxed (just from doing damage), you can initiate a chain attack. Chain attack pauses the game and cycles through your drivers in rounds. Each round you can pick a blade to do a blade special. Round one is level 1 specials, round 2 level 2, and so on. Each elemental orb has 3 health. Each special does 1 damage to one of the elemental orbs at random. Each special of the opposed element (e.g. light and dark) does 2 damage to the opposed orb. If you break an orb, you go into the next round. If you fail to break an orb, the chain attack ends. If you fill the chain attack gauge (usually by breaking 5 orbs, but you get a story blade that makes it 4), you do a full burst. The character who initiated the full burst gets to do their level 4 special with a massive damage multiplier (based on how many unbroken orbs were left). So it's typically best to plan for your damage dealer to break the final orb.

Here is an example of an 8 orb full burst against one of the superbosses that I did last night (minor spoilers):
EJD2Ca2.jpg
Beyond the base mechanics:
Each (rare) blade has unique specials (animations/number of hits/ailments) with varying effects (e.g. the level 3 special of one blade might heal 50% of damage dealt to the whole party, while another does increased crit damage).
Each blade has a 3 abilities that they use on their driver (e.g. a damage shield, increased recharge from arts, increased attack speed, etc.).
Each blade also has 3 passive abilities (e.g. increase damage by x% for each enemy killed, increased crit chance, etc.).
All of the above things can be leveled up by accomplishing various tasks with the blade equipped (e.g. using the ability a certain number of times, killing a certain enemy, etc.).
Each blade can equip aux cores (1-3 depending on the blade) that have various effects (e.g. reflecting certain elemental damage on blocked attack, increasing damage at max affinity, etc.).
Each blade can be transformed with weapon chips which affect crit chance, block chance, base damage, and sometimes add special effects (e.g. 25% chance to attack again immediately after hitting with a basic attack or 50% extra damage against beasts).
There's an EXP storing mechanic. When you kill things some EXP goes into a "store" which you an access while resting. You can choose to use that EXP to go up as many levels as you want, which gives you some control over difficulty. If the game is too hard, you can rest and level up a few times. If it's too easy, no need to use that EXP.
Oh, the Japanese announcer is hilarious and I turned him up to max so I could hear him yell things like "FRAMMUUU BREAAKKKK" during combos.

The main complaint I had with the game was the gacha blade system. (You open core crystals and get a random blade.) I do not understand Japan's fascination with gacha games and pachinko. Anyway, here it does not work. Blades are either healers, DPS, or tanks. Your drivers are largely designed to be one of the three. But the blades you open are random, so if you get an awesome tank blade on your DPS... that sucks. There are items (override protocols) which let you switch blades between drivers, but for most of the game they are very uncommon. The main character's blade is one of the best/the best in the game, though, and both tanks start with good tanking blades that stay viable the entire game. So the gacha is mostly annoying, not game-ending.

TL;DR If you do not enjoy learning complex systems or only want a compelling story, avoid. If you don't mind some biblical Japanese apocalyptic scifi, can focus on titties rather than shounen, and enjoy complex battle systems, I would recommend it.

Last edited:

Kaivokz

Arcane
If you can focus on titties rather than shounen, and enjoy complex battle systems

Isn't shounen basically titties + battles?

Of course, I am not implying that you like shounen or anything.
I meant the literal use of shounen which is “young boy” or something like that. Basically don’t care about Rex as an MC, just enjoy the titties and battles.

As far as shounen stories, they’re also usually about the power of friendship, various virtues, getting stronger, opposing villains, and so on. One could probably be forgiven for ignoring all that though, since it’s usually not very interesting for anyone who isn’t a kid.

I agree on just about everything, except I liked the story. The battle system is the most fun I've ever played, even though it can be repetitive. Once you master it, the complexity and timing are very engaging and rewarding.

The gatcha system is largely for completionists, as the story and especially DLC blades are better than most random blades snd can easily see you through the main game.

Thanks for posting such an in-depth review. I hope others on Codex try the game. It really is quite good.

Worth buying the Switch for it?

Since I played over 500 hours of it, yes. But there are some other good games on the stitch as well. Many people other than myself love the Zelda game. Stardew Valley is great, though it also is on PC.

Perkel

Arcane
Finished it. Around 80 hours for me. IT plays great up to about 3/4 the way.

Unfortunutelly like all monolith games they just had to fuck up story and leave nothing unanswered leaving stuff to players imagination.

JOURNEY wise it is both great and shit at the same time. Exploring Titans is great, finding out hidden paths, alcoves etc is great, hunting unique monsters also is great. Player party overall it is pretty nice and pacing is pretty good but once in a while you get those weird flops that don't make sense like beating enemy for it to pop up 5 seconds later with "haha i lied i died" quote and not once but multiple times through game, definitely they went with kids show aproach where almost no one dies but then they just decide to show mass murder like nothing.... ?? Moreover i feel like script was written by two people one main one and the other one that went over script and said : you know this needs more otaku fandom ! here instead of this boss fight let us put big giant robot that looks like maid.

The point in above is that it is not self consistent with world it created and character actions. This is the same reason why something like Nier Automata doesn't fell wrong despite playing effectively otaku maid because its wordtelling is consistent.

COMBAT wise, frankly speaking it is worst XC game out there. System used has many avenues to customize your characters, accesories, different blades with their unique abilities and specializations, aug cores, pouch stuff etc. But all of that customization goes away when you realize that either you have healer and tank in party or you lose. And with 3 party member only at battlefield it means effectively all that customization is worthless. Worse their roles are so important that instead of giving each character multiple types of blades instead you are incevised to give them one type so TNKs get other TNKs and so on. Situation is further complicated by lack of OVERLOAD items which allow you to transfer blades between party members you only get them from unique chests and by letting go one of blades that had max affinity but in my 70 hours i only got like 3 overload items which is basically nothing.

BLADES. This is by far the most controvertial part of game. On one hand you have basically a lot of party members which focus on different things without writing expansive stories how main party members meet them (though some have those). Each have their own unique talents like one being anti-air blade, crit blade and so on. Methods of upgrading them also are not just pure stats but sometimes hutning specific monsters or defeating unique beast, some events, hidden events you need to unloack, sidequests etc. So on that front they are great. But then there is the other front of it. Gatcha. Basically you get cores from fights common, rare and legendary ones + unique ones from events and aside from unique ones that guarantee unique blade the yall have chance to give you common blade literally genereci blade that is copy of each other. Sometimes you can open up 40 common cores and you won't get unique blade. Moreover you are opening PER CHARACTER without easy way to transfer them so by pure RNG it could be that your healer will get 5 attacker blades and no healer. The only way to transfer those blades without overload item is to let them go and again RNG them on right character.

Sounds stupid ? Because it is. It feels like game was supposed to feature heavy gatcha but down the line either they didn't expand it or curtailed it because it didn't fit right with game. There aren't that many unique blades in game so to get all blades you need to spend shitload of time opening those.

STORY
I found the main plot pretty good up until typical Monolithian ending where everything is just human experiment gone wrong for how many XC games already ? Oh right XCX didn't finish like that instead it finished with clifhanger. That being said core crystals dilema of death and rebirth was interesting. It is better to be human and die once or be a blade and be reborn every once in while without memory of anything from your previous life as blade. Definitely the most interesting parts were when blades would find part of their old lives much like in Planescape mc did. The main baddie was just meh. I mean there were two of them but none of them was really anything great. Pretor was just nuts and his reason didn't even made any sense and it felt contrived especially after early introductions where Pretor was much more nuanced figure. The whole flesh eater thing also didn't make much sense. Basically a plot device to make some blades survive deaths of their masters but then somehow they could be in tune with other people like Nia ?

MUSIC.
Yup Monolith is back in business. After horrific dud of music in XCX that 90% of music was just plain garbage tier funk/rap mix with some few decent exploration pieces now they went back to XC1 themes and with great success.

SUMMARY

Overall it is pretty great game hindered by story points and weird journey things. Combat wise is overall pretty good for an JRPG but overall worst in XC games with XCX being on top XC1 second and XC2 third. Moreover game has couple of weird designs that give it boons and negatives. Game definitely would reach great heights if some design elements would be reworked like hard requirement for blade roles, gatcha etc.

As for overall where game lie on "what is good line ?":

XC1 >>>> XC2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> XCX

Kaivokz

Arcane
But all of that customization goes away when you realize that either you have healer and tank in party or you lose
I played most of the game with 3 damage load outs or 2 tank and 1 damage. This includes all of the optional super strong bosses. Never had a dedicated healer. Some combos have innate healing and there are equipments setups that give extra healing at certain combo levels or on crits. Maybe some other ways to heal as well. I found this much more engaging than just using a tank and healer. I think especially if you control a character with a katana you can time their iframes really well to avoid a lot of damage and then use your combos to heal up anything you lost.

In the end I used Nia (or w/e her name was) as a blade for the sweet dual wielding combo, so Rex had some healing which I occasionally used, but mostly I had Rex with mythra/pyra, Zeke, and Poppi in damage form—or the other tank girl, tank poppi and Rex.

Perkel

Arcane
There is a way to get them off but you have to use % chance to recover health on attack. Which is again basically playing healer because you then ignore accesories and blades that are supposed to smash things.

Also what you said only opens up waaaaay into game like by the end of it. 3/4 of game you don't even have cores, blades or anything to break that tank/healer/attack setup. Sure you can use 2 tanks and healer or 3 healers but you have to have healer. This is the same reason why i hated FF12 system.

Mind you neither in XC1 or XCX you didn't have such divide in roles. Yes you still had roles but they were secondary to customization.

Blades RNG is by far the worst aspect of game. Sure you can create combo with healer blade mid combo which heals party but that requires you to have luck to get healer on specific person with right element.

It is not complete shit system it is just that it could be so much better if not for hard specialization.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Moreover i feel like script was written by two people one main one and the other one that went over script and said : you know this needs more otaku fandom ! here instead of this boss fight let us put big giant robot that looks like maid.

I didn't finished the game yet , rn at last chapter , but you described this game perfectly. Just missed the part where they put Ass and Tits shots of Mytra/Pyra while they're talking how they want to just die and how guilty they felt..

Anyway , this game has one major flaw , everything takes too long to gets to the good part.:

The plot is actually quite good , just take 6 chapters to actually starts. You have a lot interesting concepts and themes but you have to pass though hours of the subplot involving a Family of furry balls that love Loli Maid Robots , typical '' y-you baka'' scenes, annyoing little shit head protagonist , etc...

The Combat is good but take until chapter 7/8 to actualy gives you all the options. You only gets to enjoy after you unlock all Blade slots and even then , you need to maximize the Affinity chart and actually get lucky to get good blades and..

Last edited:
I agree the game takes way too long to get going.

Though I must be the simpleton here because I liked the last few chapters and the Big Reveal.

You all should go play the Torna expansion. When I think how great the game could have been with Lora and the gang and what we got instead it makes me a bit angry. Rex is such a lame little Jap boy audience identification character and Lora and the pathos hinted at in Torna is just so much better. Malos' voice actor is so awesome in Torna. Really makes the character way more than a 1d "Everything sucks and I feel bads! Destroy Everything!!" Malos is actually kinda cool. Shame how he loses to a 4 foot tall "little shit."

I'm really glad more Codexians played XC2, I just wish more got as much out of it as I did. I guess the cutesy tropes didn't really faze me and the adult themes were stronger for me. Then again, I'm over 40 so I identify a lot more with nihilistic villains and also with the need for boundless idealism to combat it. When you stop and consider Alrest, the place is really bleak and everything is dying. If they showed that a bit more I think Rex would have been a more compelling protagonist. I wish the game could have been on PC and made more for young adults. It still was awesome.

Ventidius

Arbiter
I had my doubts about this game coming off XBCX (the more shonen-esque presentation, the much, much simpler character system), but the more I've played it, the more I like it. Much of the complexity that's gone from character building is now present in the combat system itself, which is much more involved and engaging than I'd expect a non-turn-based, non-RTwP combat system to be, and excellent in its own right. You even get the level saving mechanic if you want to avoid being overleveled.

I think if the game had both a character system like X's and its combat as is, it would become too fiddly, enough so that it would interfere with the pacing of the game (which is IMO better than in X, and a strength of the game).

The only real complaint I have with the game so far is the gacha stuff, but at least I've been able to have fun and deal with the content without engaging with it too heavily. The blades that you get naturally by progressing the story are more than enough to both get the job done and give you sufficient options to mess around with.

Playing on the Switch (instead of an emulator) and can confirm that portable mode looks worse than docked. Docked looks fine. Portable mode is noticeably worse than something like BOTW, MH Rise or Metroid Dread, but still far from the worst I've seen on and passable overall. Anyway, great game so far.

Olinser

Savant
Overall I gave it an 8/10, I enjoyed it, but I'm probably not going to go back and play it again. They made a couple major missteps with the Blade system in general, and with how poorly the map and spawns of the first Titan in particular were, but it was still overall enjoyable.

The problem with the Blade system isn't necessarily the gacha itself, although they REALLY needed to expand out the tiers more so the rarest crystals were guaranteed to give you actually powerful blades instead of being total RNG.

No, the problem is simply that you're required to select the Driver BEFORE you know what type of Blade you got. It's utterly idiotic that you can get stuck with rare tank or healer Blades on your DPS character, and vice versa. Literally the first rare Blade I drew was Boreas on Rex, which made it the most useless Blade in the game because Nia was already the healer, and playing a healing blade as your main is horrific.

They either needed to gacha a random Blade, and THEN chose which character to make it's Driver, or they needed to make the Blade swap item available way, WAY earlier in the game than it is.

Regardless of how good the game is (I own it but I have yet to play it), that Dunkey video will forever cloud my perception of this game.

somerandomdude

Learned
Is this fully playable on Yuzu or Ryujinx? Last I heard there were issues with the game crashing in a certain chapter, and randomly crashing in menus, but it's been like a year and maybe these issues were fixed?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I've been playing this in Yuzu and it seems fine. Every so often the graphics fuck up in a section but it's nothing game breaking.

I've often enjoyed JRPGs for having more ways to improve your characters than just levels + items. Typical FF game splits off magic into it's own thing, for example. Having more ways to improve magnifies the fun of the game.

But I think this really takes the cake. It might be too much. Perhaps because the systems are so split up they feel diluted, but if I want to boost my performance the options are quite dizzying. I thought it would be interesting to count them all, so here we go:

1. Levels
2. Accessories.
3. Core chips
4. Blade gacha
5. Tiger Tiger! (Entire minigame just for Poppi)
6. Shop deeds (unlock permanent improvements when the shop has full inventory)
6a-> Side quests
6b-> Money
6c-> Salvaging (Including all of these as one because they mainly increase development level, which is how you unlock shop inventory)
7. Blade quests (rare blades have special quests to power them up)
8. Weapon Arts
9. Character Affinity
10. Blade affinity (these require special actions to unlock, so it's a separate system from character affinity)
11. Aux cores
12. Pouch items

Did I miss any? It's ridiculous. I've never seen a game with so much shit thrown at the wall. Crazy.

Puukko

Arcane
Did building area affinity give combat bonuses? I forget. I didn't find the number of systems to be too much but I suppose I am a systems kinda guy.

In 3 they put class building on the forefront which gets very deep since you're essentially building custom classes for six team members out of a couple dozen classes over a very long game, which was my jam. And then there's the Ouroboros system...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom