Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bloodlines 2 Clan Introduction - Tremere

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Florian Schwarzer; Hardsuit Labs; Paradox Interactive; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

The next clan confirmed to be featured in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 are the Tremere, mages of the vampire world. This time it was VentureBeat who got the exclusive early reveal before Paradox officially announced the news in their weekly stream. The Tremere aren't as powerful as they used to be in the latest edition of the Vampire: The Masquerade setting, but individual members are still formidable. In addition to their highly destructive blood sorcery attacks, in Bloodlines 2 they also receive clairvoyance-oriented abilities allowing them to see through walls or even psychically project themselves. Here's the trailer and details from the official website. Once again, watch for the brief gameplay snippet at the end:

TREMERE

Tremere were not allowed in significant numbers throughout Seattle's history, though that has changed recently. After the fall of the Pyramid, Tremere have sought allies wherever they can find them, offering services and secrets that were once only kept to themselves. At least a few Tremere have managed to settle in the Pacific Northwest. However, not all Kindred in Seattle warmly welcome the warlocks into their city, citing historical precedent and general distrust of their ways. Still, the blood magic of the Tremere cannot be denied as a force to be respected. Whether or not the Tremere are here to stay is another matter entirely…

In nights long before Seattle, the Tremere were something else. Back then, as occultists seeking immortality, they found a way to live forever - but not on their own terms. The heavy price they paid bound their magic to blood, with it becoming both the focus of their powers and the cost for using them. The mostly forgotten origin of their curse still colors their interactions with other Kindred, who mistrust them instinctually. History repeats itself for the Tremere, with war, suspicion and grudges marking both their origin and their modern nights.

THE PATH OF BLOOD

Knowledge-obsessed, usurpers, warlocks, heretics, blood witches; the Tremere get called many things. Players who choose to join their ranks gain access to the secrets of two new Disciplines on top of the individual powers from their Thinblooded past.

THAUMATURGY

Few secrets are guarded more jealously by the Tremere than their signature Discipline: Blood sorcery. Followers of the Path of Blood gain almost unparalleled destructive power.

• Skewer (Blood Cost: 3), the first active Thaumaturgy power, launches a small portion of the vampire’s Vitae at the feet of their enemies, where it erupts in a patch of razor-sharp spikes. Once they dissolve, a stream of blood flows back to the caster. The • • slot upgrades Skewer.

• • • Purge (Blood Cost: 3), the second active power, allows the vampire to make their victims vomit up blood, damaging them heavily. A stream of blood flows back to the caster. The • • • • and • • • • • slots enhance Purge, until it reaches its ultimate potential.

• • • • • Blood Boil (Blood Cost: 2 x 3). A master of Thaumaturgy may cast Purge for a second time on an affected NPC, causing the blood in their veins to sear. The wretch explodes within moments; bystanders in a large area are damaged. Blood from each victim streams back to the caster.

Use of Thaumaturgy in front of witnesses is a Masquerade Violation.

AUSPEX

Nothing stays hidden to those who master the Discipline of Auspex. By expanding their own senses beyond the boundaries of their bodies, these Kindred inch ever closer to their personal idea of perfection.

• Aura Sense (Blood Cost: 2), Auspex’ first active, allows the vampire to spot NPCs even through walls, read crowds at a glance, and mark individuals to keep them in their sights over long distances. It also allows the user to spot the weaknesses in the marked NPC’s attack and defense. The • • and • • • • • slots enhance Aura Sense.

• • • Psychic Projection (Blood Cost: 2), the second active, detaches the vampire’s mind from their body. Untethered, they can explore the area in astral form, remaining free to use Aura Sight to mark any character they spot. Beyond that, the vampire’s mastery of their own senses has grown to such an extent that they can telepathically overwhelm the senses of others for a short while. The • • • • slot enhances Psychic Projection.

Use of Auspex is not a Masquerade Violation.

That's three down, three to go. Toreador and Ventrue seem like a sure thing, but what'll the last one be?

Badmojo

Novice
Got some bad news, they already admitted the malks will be nerfed/toned down from the first game. They don't want to offend crazy people or some garbage. Here is the quote:

It’s fifteen years later and things have changed,” Mitsoda said. “We have to be very sensitive about how we handle things like mental illness and that was a concern for us and for Paradox, in how we can make a mature story but if we do anything, we do our homework and make sure that we are punching up and not punching down.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Hmmm if one clan does 2 unique things then if they choose malkavians they will get obfuscate and dementate. If its Nosferatu then obfuscate and what else?

Ventrue will get Dominate and Fortitude. Toredor will get Presence and ?. It seems like they are going to have to overlap at some point. Since they are likely to too cowardly and intellectually deficient to do Malkavians, then maybe we'll see Tzimisce. They are different enough to where they can offer something distinct.

Esquilax

Arcane
Ventrue will get Dominate and Fortitude. Toredor will get Presence and ?. It seems like they are going to have to overlap at some point. Since they are likely to too cowardly and intellectually deficient to do Malkavians, then maybe we'll see Tzimisce. They are different enough to where they can offer something distinct.

If they're too cowardly to do Malks, then they will definitely be too pussy to do the Tzimisce any justice.

Anyways, as for the clans included in the base game, I'm pretty certain the remainder is going to look like this:
  • Ventrue (Dominate, Fortitude)
  • Toreador (Celerity, Presence)
  • Nosferatu (Obfuscate, Animalism)
Apparently, they've built a fairly extensive sewer system, and the Nosferatu would cover the stealth aspect nicely, so I'm pretty sure that they're in.

Still retarded that they've reduced the number of disciplines.

Vatnik Wumao
The disciplines have not really been reduced. Vanilla vampires get 3 clan disciplines when they are born. Here the thin blood gets 1 unique discipline and 2 clan disciplines, making 3. This also helps separate the player from a vanilla Brujah or Tremere, marking them as super special.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No Vicissitude, no best Tzimisce.

Does anyone know which version of VtM is the game based on? It'd be fun to play as Lasombra :P
Kind of a complicated answer there, since it's kind of a parallel creation thing. 5th Edition of VtM is both the basis for Bloodlines 2 and based on Bloodlines 2. To some extent anyway, apparently there wasn't that much connection between the two projects beyond basic coordination.

Though this actually does mean that Lasombra are a RELATIVELY possible choice if they decide to do Clan DLCs or something cheeky like that, since large portion of Lasombra are defecting to Camarilla in the metaplot due to stuff that's happening in the fifteen years since previous metaplot date of turn of the millenium coming to the V5 metaplot date of late 2010's.

Why do these guys give me no confidance at all? They all sound like VtM theme slapped on Dishonored / DX.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
A buddy of mine is participating in a Masquarade LARP ; he's trying to rope me into this crap, bunch of fat fucks with trench coats all surrounding one or two vaguely attractive women (my friend admitted that he was "in love" with one of them ; I told him he was making a ~BIG MISTAKE~... I always do that when someone talks to me about "love", right after I spit in their face, of course). The game seems "fun", these people seem to be "having fun" ; I guess this is nice, because the alternative is often a bunch of ridiculous power tripping. It seems pretty hard to do Vampire "right", I'm not even sure anymore what it means - for video games or LARPING. I guess it should give off somewhat of a lovecraftian feel, but then you can just play Cthulhu (which I've done pretty much these last years). There should be something about the horror of your condition, but really vampires are not good at this, it seems as if they're not very good at horror in general

Yesterday I was enjoying a seldomly sunny beautiful day outside, touch of sun on my skin, and thought to myself, though I love the night, being a vampire would fucking suck without this, except for being practically immortal, unless it were possible to amass such power that you could eventually survive the sun.

Was that ever a thing in any version of VtM? A number of different settings have run their own variations on the theme, eg. stronger the vampire, more deadly the sun, to the point of instant incineration for really old and powerful vampires, or the opposite, or varying curves or hidden knowledge towards that end.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well if you have unreal levels of Fortitude, possible for a time, but never indefinately even if you go turbo-arctic-burqa-with-goggles level of get-up. There is also a ritual for going outside, but that's other sorts of inconvenient. And in any case, even a high Humanity vampire is not exactly feeling very chipper during daytime and has to basically force themselves to not sleep since it isn't a biological necessity for them but a supernatural condition. Though there's also a ritual for that, but that's also different kinds of inconvenient (namely that it requires someone to kick the door in and all but declare they're going to murder you).

Last edited:

Tao

Savant
It's really curious how the mith of the vampire evolved from "most active at night" to "can't stand the sun".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom